Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The person behind the tweets is:
Jerry Colangelo
Bryan Colangelo
Jerry & Bryan Colangelo
Sam Hinkie
Joel Embiid
Someone Else (Post the best conspiracy theories you go)
View Results

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Selfishly yeah. I see what you are saying.

But if he cares about his friends no.

Lockback posted:

I was going to make a similar joke, but realistically this puts Simmons in a lovely position if he actually does want to be a leader on the team.

Aaha yea but you know deep down he's not all that mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The only way this could be handled in more of a dickless corporate manner is if the Sixers trade Simmons and Embiid for virtually nothing, then loudly proclaim that they kept Colangelo and traded their stars "because it's what you, the fans, wanted us to do".

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
they need to decide so I can stop refreshing twitter and get some work done this week

although if they announce he's staying, I might have to :killing:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They met Tuesday night to decide to fire him. It’s Thursday almost afternoon and he’s been seen working so..

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Even if they fire him now they've done some short term damage image-wise in taking so goddamn long to do so, how braindead are these owners

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Firing people is hard and they are likely trying to get out of his contract. There are a lot of legal things that have to be done for that to happen so it makes sense to me.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Even if they fire him now they've done some short term damage image-wise in taking so goddamn long to do so, how braindead are these owners

these fuckheads claim that they honestly believed Hinkie would see a demotion and handing Jerry Colangelo his job as a good thing and would happily continue to work for them

e: choice quote from BC's introductory press conference after Hinkie resigned:

quote:

“The process of going through free agency and creating credibility within your organization, it starts at the top,” Bryan Colangelo said. “And what you’ve got is an ownership group committed to that. We’ve explained that.”

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 7, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the point of Jerry Colangelo is he isn’t showing them how to run a nba team at a crisis point

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Firing people is hard and they are likely trying to get out of his contract. There are a lot of legal things that have to be done for that to happen so it makes sense to me.

If that was it they wouldn’t have Colangelo still acting as a GM and scouting players

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Adun posted:

If that was it they wouldn’t have Colangelo still acting as a GM and scouting players

Why/how exactly? I've said this before but you cannot fire someone before you actually fire them. Like they could have put him on leave pending their investigation (which they probably should have) but they didn't so he has to continue doing his job.

They have to fire him in order to announce the firing, as well as for him to stop doing his job. They also have to have all their legal ducks in a row in order to get out of his contract, which I imagine is a minefield to navigate.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

I agree somewhat but FA is nearly here and it's also probably the most important FA that Philly has had in a long time, maybe ever. It would behoove them to get this done quicker. I didn't think he'd be fired the day after the report or anything but if extending this situation by trying to recoup his contract money leads to people like LeBron taking the team less seriously it's not worth it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My big theory is that the NBA is actively pressuring them to not announce it until after the finals are over (which is dumb as hell) because they dont want the news overshadowing/interfering with the finals. This is obviously :tinfoil: but it would explain why there was a leaked press conference yesterday that never happened.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

My big theory is that the NBA is actively pressuring them to not announce it until after the finals are over (which is dumb as hell) because they dont want the news overshadowing/interfering with the finals. This is obviously :tinfoil: but it would explain why there was a leaked press conference yesterday that never happened.

That's not all that outlandish considering Silver's previous meddling with the Sixers combined with the report that came out saying he was annoyed with the Colangelo saga overshadowing game 2. They'll only have to postpone it one more game so

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

This made a lot more sense before team-friendly media outlets started leaking he was staying. Due diligence is important, but the longer this stretches out the less likely they will do something definitive.

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is probably the last hope.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why/how exactly? I've said this before but you cannot fire someone before you actually fire them. Like they could have put him on leave pending their investigation (which they probably should have) but they didn't so he has to continue doing his job.

They have to fire him in order to announce the firing, as well as for him to stop doing his job. They also have to have all their legal ducks in a row in order to get out of his contract, which I imagine is a minefield to navigate.

If they planned on firing the guy and are just going through contract negotiations there’s no reason to involve him in the day to day activities. Why would the Sixers be obligated to let him still be in charge of day to day work?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Adun posted:

If they planned on firing the guy and are just going through contract negotiations there’s no reason to involve him in the day to day activities. Why would the Sixers be obligated to let him still be in charge of day to day work?

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1004752956133126145

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
YES

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yessssssss

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
gently caress off and take your whole family with you you dumb sack of poo poo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hahaha, they were waiting for me to say I didn't think anything definitive was happening.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There you go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jerry has to go too

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
RIP Big Collar Brand Adam Silver let you live one more day so as not to distract from game 3

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

Jerry has to go too

He's basically just a consultant at this point, right? Why would he need to go?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Form the wording they probably bought him out of his contract which is what one of you was saying . It took a day or two to figure out the terms

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

He's basically just a consultant at this point, right? Why would he need to go?

He’s a sentient sessile cancer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Jerry has to go too

I don't know how much Jerry actually does anymore, and if he really had no connection to the tweets I'm not sure there is much impetus.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1004754453990400000

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yesssss !!!!

Yessssssssssssssssssss

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell yeah!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1004754637411323904

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/1004754730399215616

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
My friend was saying that it would be a good idea for Sixers to get David Griffin to help recruit LeBron

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Reverse Popovich, but I am assuming they are doing this:

Lockback posted:

Smartest move would put in an interim GM for the draft and FA and make "Pick your GM, or poo poo, we'll make you GM" as part of the pitch to Lebron.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Most philly fans I know are cool people so I'm happy for you guys.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Form the wording they probably bought him out of his contract which is what one of you was saying . It took a day or two to figure out the terms

i think the league just didn't want a big announcement made on the day of a finals game and his dad or scott o'neil leaked the "team believes he had no involvement in tweets" stuff to try to make him look better or try to make as graceful an exit as possible in this situation.

his career should be done for sure now though unless his dad gets him yet another job which never underestimate nepotism

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Adun posted:

Because firing people is loving hard as poo poo dude

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She or someone factory reset the phone lmao

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
so it was the wife. sixers twitter is undefeated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

so it was the wife. sixers twitter is undefeated

He was probably posting too but they couldn’t tell because the phone was reset

They def thought he was telling her poo poo

• Locked thread