Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Am I the only person who really liked The Return of Doctor Mysterio?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's on the lower tier of Moffat episodes, but it's got some fun gags and I liked the villains

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

I think so. I thought it was bad, even by Christmas specials’ poor standards. The Doctor just lets a man die, wandering off to make jokes and consume snacks. :wtc:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I didn't much like it to begin with but I liked it even less when I saw the original of the Superman interview scene that it borrowed from. It did such a bad job of it...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just bought JENNY - THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER from Big Finish. I just want to know what in the Hell they're gonna do with that character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mysterio has an okay erection joke and helped keep Charity Wakefield employed, so it has those two things going for it.

It's not even fun, not that Moffat ever really knows how to do fun. RTD's specials were always at least fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's not even fun, not that Moffat ever really knows how to do fun. RTD's specials were always at least fun.

Day of the Doctor is made of fun, so I don’t think that’s entirely true.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The_Doctor posted:

I think so. I thought it was bad, even by Christmas specials’ poor standards. The Doctor just lets a man die, wandering off to make jokes and consume snacks. :wtc:

That guy was like a billionaire captain of industry, so not considering him particularly worthy of rescue might be an insight into Moffat's politics

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The real problem with Captain Mysterio is that the superhero was kind of unlikable. I get that they were really specifically reaching for a Clark Kent/Superman thing, but he comes off as the world's most annoying and clueless Nice Guy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

The real problem with Captain Mysterio is that the superhero was kind of unlikable. I get that they were really specifically reaching for a Clark Kent/Superman thing, but he comes off as the world's most annoying and clueless Nice Guy.

Acting as the *BABY SITTER* of the girl yo uwant to bone is just loving creepy

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I thought it was a fun throwback to the Silver Age...

Now, just so we can establish the baseline, where do we all stand on Vengeance on Varos?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I liked the joke where the Doctor was all "I THINK CLARK KENT AND SUPERMAN MIGHT BE THE SAME PERSON".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I didn't dislike it - it was an amusing diversion for an hour on Christmas Day but I haven't once gone back to revisit it since.

Of course I wasn't especially impressed by "The Husbands of River Song" and everybody liked it. :shrug:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just did a calculation, and in the past 6 weeks, I have spent $400 on Big Finish. I have a problem. Too Much Entertainment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course I wasn't especially impressed by "The Husbands of River Song" and everybody liked it. :shrug:

Yeah, I liked that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Now, just so we can establish the baseline, where do we all stand on Vengeance on Varos?

Don't make me slap you again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CobiWann posted:

Many say it's a classic!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

He doesn't push them in the acid bath

Sorry, reflex reaction. Great idea, lots of things dragging it down, but still perfectly watchable. Also has very probably the worst ever in a long and proud history of absolutely terrible laser gun visual effects.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't dislike it - it was an amusing diversion for an hour on Christmas Day but I haven't once gone back to revisit it since.

Everybody liked how it ended.

That's a crucial difference. I hated that episode until the ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Next thing you guys will say that Timelash is a bad episode or something...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Husbands of River Song gets good from this moment onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I liked Husbands right up until the fun capers stopped and it started getting sappy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Husbands of River Song gets good from this moment onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

That subdued "hello, sweetie" will never, ever fail to put tears in my eyes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

That subdued "hello, sweetie" will never, ever fail to put tears in my eyes.

:same: :3:

That and the moments before where River, for the first time, looks at him and actually sees him. They both act the hell out of it, and it's great.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Dr. Mysterio showed that John Byrne exists in the Doctor Who universe, so it loses points.

But then again, some corners, terrible things, must be fought etc etc etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Justin Chatwin is a lovely poo poo actor so that didn't help things. But the "I think Clark and Superman" thing was adorable and only Capaldi could sell it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I liked Mr. Huffle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

12's "Hello Sweetie" really is an absolutely fantastic moment.

I keep meaning to write up the last couple of episodes from Capaldi's run but can't quite work up the energy to do it, partly because The Doctor Falls is such a mixed bag but mostly because once I've written them up, that's it, the Capaldi era really is over for me :sigh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

12's "Hello Sweetie" really is an absolutely fantastic moment.

I keep meaning to write up the last couple of episodes from Capaldi's run but can't quite work up the energy to do it, partly because The Doctor Falls is such a mixed bag but mostly because once I've written them up, that's it, the Capaldi era really is over for me :sigh:

Plus nothing more to write about until 13, whenever that is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh there will always be more Big Finish to write about.

ALWAYS :stare:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You could analyze every episode of Class!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus dude what'd I ever do to you? :smith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I need to sit down and watch Withnail & I this weekend. Every time I’ve tried in the last few years something’s gotten in the way...

Plus I watched this 10-minute short film today. What the gently caress, Paul McGann???

https://vimeo.com/72592236

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

This might be the world's only exception to the "Writing extensive, decently researched reviews for something eventually gives you Stockholm Syndrome such that you grow to love the show" rule.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edward Mass posted:

Here, Colin summed it for us

I edited that in paint in 1 minute

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Haha, I posted a gif of C. Bakes waving a wine bottle at the camera and then climbing onto the bus from the end of Fiveish Doctors in the comments of Big Finish's Facebook post about his birthday and they deleted it. Like, it's a celebratory gif so :shrug:

At least a couple of his main range stories I don't have are amongst the ones they're offering

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CobiWann posted:

I need to sit down and watch Withnail & I this weekend. Every time I’ve tried in the last few years something’s gotten in the way...

Plus I watched this 10-minute short film today. What the gently caress, Paul McGann???

https://vimeo.com/72592236

McGann would make a good Master.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Husbands felt like an extremely indulgent Moffat script that kept presenting moments where it would plead “Look how funny/clever/sweet this is! Don’t you love it?” and a shrug was the only response I could offer in return.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy birthday to C.Bakes!

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1005030946926743552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Watching people discover classic Who during this Twitch marathon is like the only time I've ever found Twitch comments worthwhile.

• Locked thread