Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

And now I can't read the unspoiled thread without getting :tinfoil: over posters making what very well could be reasonable inferences based on the information available.

The poster who some people have been eyeing as some kind of spoiling ninny is IIRC a combined milhist/spaceflight/cold war/aeronautical/sci fi books threads supernerd (like me har har). Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck have been writing hardish space opera inspired by the exact same things that poster is interested in. I'm willing to give them a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sammus posted:

It's definitely meant to be disorienting on purpose.
What's disorienting? The slight curvature of the ring on the last scene is pretty indicative. Not to mention the fringing of the stars along the ring.

Then again, reading the Expanse and Westworld threads makes me lose hope in humanity.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 3, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Then again, reading the Expanse and Westworld threads makes me lose hope in humanity.

Good lord I've never seen people be so bad at watching a television show until I stepped foot in the WestWorld topic :psyduck:

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Johnny Truant posted:

Good lord I've never seen people be so bad at watching a television show until I stepped foot in the WestWorld topic :psyduck:

How train work?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Johnny Truant posted:

If you’re watching westworld, you’re bad at watching TV, period. I can say this because I watch that dumb show and can confirm it’s because I’m bad at watching TV.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:gizz::gizz:they addressed what happens at the non-ring edges of dandelion space:gizz::gizz:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The perspective of the ring system seemed inconsistent to me. The Behemoth looked properly in consequential, but then Holden and co. were legit worried about hitting the other side at slow zone speed and Holden can reach the dead center on the oxygen he can carry with him do I don't know what the gently caress.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Looking at that shot of the ring against the blue background, it's gonna make for one hell of a moment when all the other rings open up. This really is a very pretty show to look at.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I had been really enjoying what they had done with Melba. I keep saying I need to go back and re-read some, but I recall that we knew who Melba was and her motivations right up front. Stringing the audience along with those things as mysteries even with some of the heavy hints they dropped really worked for me. Then last night they bludgeoned us to death with the back story. I get that the show had to go there, but that all seemed like bit much to me. Maybe it's let down due to the previous two episodes being soooo good, but I could of done with a bit less family matters. Mao's relationship with Clarissa was so one dimensional it crept into unbelievably. As a plot point it drives Melba's motivation, but man, as a father it's hard for me to emphasize with his abject treatment of her. Belittling her at every scene felt like it was overboard to me. I mean, she's not a fuckup, just a rich girl who's not daddie's favorite. Course my Dad's awesome as are my kids so maybe I just don't have enough experience with lovely fathers.

Anna's wonderment and excitement to go through the ring and discover what's there despite her family pressures was great. Her euphoria contrasted with Cortez's turning tail and running worked well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ashpanash posted:

If you’re watching westworld, you’re bad at watching TV, period. I can say this because I watch that dumb show and can confirm it’s because I’m bad at watching TV.

1000x confirm. It's horrible.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The perspective of the ring system seemed inconsistent to me. The Behemoth looked properly in consequential, but then Holden and co. were legit worried about hitting the other side at slow zone speed and Holden can reach the dead center on the oxygen he can carry with him do I don't know what the gently caress.

Had the same reaction, it's probably really difficult to demonstrate size, but the only time they really seemed to want to demonstrate it was that long flyby shot coming from outside the ring to the tiny looking Behemoth.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
18,000 kph is still pretty fast. :iiaca:

I'll gif it when I get home, but the perspective shot of the Ring which then pushed in to focus on the Behemoth and its flotilla entering the Ring really put it into perspective for me. The Behemoth is one of the largest man-made structures and it is absolutely dwarfed by the Ring Gate.
:stare:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
5 km/s is pretty slow as far as space things go though. We're orbiting the sun at a chill 30.

So once the station gets turned on I'm guessing all that blue/green poo poo goes away to reveal the ~expanse~ with all the gates?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

5 km/s is pretty slow as far as space things go though. We're orbiting the sun at a chill 30.

So once the station gets turned on I'm guessing all that blue/green poo poo goes away to reveal the ~expanse~ with all the gates?

Title drop! :toot:

Well, the appearance of the other ring gates is where the phrase "dandelion sky" comes from, and that's the title of the last ep in the season, so...probably?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Well, the appearance of the other ring gates is where the phrase "dandelion sky" comes from, and that's the title of the last ep in the season, so...probably?

Visually they've done so many things that were just better than I imagined. I am stoked to see what there do here.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am really really hoping Ashford is forced to take over because Drummer gets injured during the speed change, rather than sticking to the mutiny/anti-mutiny/mutiny/eh plot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

AlternateAccount posted:

Had the same reaction, it's probably really difficult to demonstrate size, but the only time they really seemed to want to demonstrate it was that long flyby shot coming from outside the ring to the tiny looking Behemoth.
Hard to show those things in 2D. Like Bagger 288, and a bunch of siblings, are digging up brown coal like 50km from where I live. When you see pictures of the huge hole they've dug, you're like "meh". When you're seeing it IRL, you're like "whoa".

Dr. Gargunza posted:

According to imdb, that's the title of episode 10. There's 13 apparently.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 7, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

acumen posted:

My guess is that the blue/green poo poo stays but that the other gates (and the stars on the other side of them) become visible.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I think having the blue stuff there works better visually than just black gates against a black background. There was a good shot of the gate surrounded by blue in the last episode and I could immediately picture a shot, maybe a cliffhanger, where new gates start opening around it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think the completely pitch black space is creepier and am sad it isn't that way, but I can imagine it not working well for TV.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, total blackness and then a whole bunch of evenly spaced pinpricks for the Dandelion Sky would have been beautiful to me. Glowy blue stuff totally isn't doing it for me.

That said, there have been a few shots as things passed through the weird lensing effect of the ring that were probably more interesting with the clear delineation between the slow zone and our solar system.

I kind of hope activating the gates ends up turning off the blue stuff, leaving eerie blackness with all the rings showing up... but I know they're going to have a bunch of black circles appear. And I guess that'll be cool.

Space isn't black because that's the color of space... it's black because that's the color of nothing. That's cool and freaky and making a "space" any other color misses that feeling entirely.

From the show thread:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They may change this from the books but I highly doubt it given some of the little things they've snuck into the show. The Roci is like an F-15 in 1985 versus today, at this point in the story. It was close to top-of-the-line when we first saw it, but years of studying PM tech has absolutely made it obsolete, even if retrofits keep it in service. Even if it wasn't obsolete, Holden et al don't even have bullets any more making it more of an uparmored taxi at this point.
I don't know if you even read this thread, but you realize you're talking about like... the latest books not the show. There have been about zero years of protomolecule study in the show. All that kind of advancement happens years after the gates have been open. Mars and Earth have never had any protomolecule tech to study.

And on the other hand the bullet issue was the better part of a year in the past- back when they were on Io. I'm sure they refilled on PDC rounds at some point in the past year. They evidently went to Tycho at some point, if only to drop Naomi off. Buying PDC rounds would be a top priority for a gunship, one would imagine.

You've mixed up a bunch of times in the ship's history and made a totally inadvisable post in the non-book thread. It's a totally trivial spoiler but like... why would you say that if it hasn't been in the show?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Eiba posted:

Yeah, total blackness and then a whole bunch of evenly spaced pinpricks for the Dandelion Sky would have been beautiful to me. Glowy blue stuff totally isn't doing it for me.

That said, there have been a few shots as things passed through the weird lensing effect of the ring that were probably more interesting with the clear delineation between the slow zone and our solar system.

I kind of hope activating the gates ends up turning off the blue stuff, leaving eerie blackness with all the rings showing up... but I know they're going to have a bunch of black circles appear. And I guess that'll be cool.

Yeah. The silly blue effect bothers me too. It looks so confined as well.

In general though I feel the show does a great job of translating the story to TV but a terrible job of translating the visuals to TV.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Eiba posted:

From the show thread:

I don't know if you even read this thread, but you realize you're talking about like... the latest books not the show. There have been about zero years of protomolecule study in the show. All that kind of advancement happens years after the gates have been open. Mars and Earth have never had any protomolecule tech to study.

And on the other hand the bullet issue was the better part of a year in the past- back when they were on Io. I'm sure they refilled on PDC rounds at some point in the past year. They evidently went to Tycho at some point, if only to drop Naomi off. Buying PDC rounds would be a top priority for a gunship, one would imagine.

You've mixed up a bunch of times in the ship's history and made a totally inadvisable post in the non-book thread. It's a totally trivial spoiler but like... why would you say that if it hasn't been in the show?

What? No? The ship was already lovely in books 2 and 3. Holden is out fighting pirates and doing "okay." Not exactly cutting edge spacetech if you are breaking even against the space-equivalent of pickup trucks with machine guns on the back. And didn't the MCRN push out a bunch of new designs after they stole the Roci in the books? Maybe I'm misremembering, but there's no point in editing it now or ~they'll know~.

Anywho Holden specifically says they've been out of ammo since Io when Alex asks for a PDC on the show. Are people really arguing that the same facility that can barely strap a railgun onto the Navuoo repaired the Roci to better-than-factory condition?

Grand Fromage posted:

I think the completely pitch black space is creepier and am sad it isn't that way, but I can imagine it not working well for TV.

Yeah, but we can't see all of the gates turn on against a black background. :shrug:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone remind me when the Roci gets its railgun. After book 3 or 4?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They have it installed between 3 and 4.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

All the funky new proto-tech is definitely not a thing in the books by this point, so the Roci isn't obsoleted by that at least. The very first major piece of proto-tech we hear mentioned is the lace plating that's a zillion times lighter and tougher than steel that they retrofit some bits of onto the Roci during book.... 5 or 6. On Luna after the rocks hit, can't remember the exact time. No way do they have anything major in the show yet unless something's radically changed, I think the self-sealing suits and stealth ships that Protogen had in Season 1 were just real bleeding edge normal human tech, nothing alien.

And I don't remember them having trouble against pirates, in fact I think there were some monologues where Holden felt bad about effortlessly slaughtering the gently caress out of people because they wouldn't surrender. And I don't think bullets are hard to get, it's the torpedoes that are hard to get. IIRC that's why they got the railgun installed, so they could have some major punch with just random chunks of metal rather than the impossible to get military torps.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 8, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

What? No? The ship was already lovely in books 2 and 3. Holden is out fighting pirates and doing "okay." Not exactly cutting edge spacetech if you are breaking even against the space-equivalent of pickup trucks with machine guns on the back. And didn't the MCRN push out a bunch of new designs after they stole the Roci in the books? Maybe I'm misremembering, but there's no point in editing it now or ~they'll know~.

You are misremembering. Belter pirates don't stand a chance against the Roci. The crew finds the job unfulfilling, not difficult. The ship's main weaknesses compared to real military ships are:

• Outdated code with unpatched vulnerabilities
  • Inability to source torpedoes (PDC/railgun ammo is just tungsten slugs)
  • Replacement cargo bay door (protomonster hosed the original) is civilian-grade

Protomolecule-derived materials didn't start showing up until, like, book 6.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 8, 2018

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Anywho Holden specifically says they've been out of ammo since Io when Alex asks for a PDC on the show.

You’ve already been slapped around on the other points, but they don’t have PDCs at that point because of the virus shutting them down, not lack of ammo. Alex yells at Amos to get one working.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've been rereading and they only start talking about the Roci showing its age during the refit in book five, which is... eight years from the beginning of the story, I think? Maybe nine. It's explicitly five years when they first go to the slow zone and then there's the trucking to Ilus and back, which is like 18 months? Plus the time spent there and I dunno. Eight's in the ballpark.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Anywho Holden specifically says they've been out of ammo since Io when Alex asks for a PDC on the show. Are people really arguing that the same facility that can barely strap a railgun onto the Navuoo repaired the Roci to better-than-factory condition?

And again, I think you're misunderstanding things here. Tycho Station is a perfectly good facility -- the fact that they were the ones tapped to build the Nauvoo in the first place should clue you in to that. The Nauvoo was a giant, state-of-the-art ship that required brand new, cutting edge recycling and power systems because it was built to keep a large group of people alive on the longest journey ever taken. The reason the railguns barely work is that it was built as a habitat, not a warship. Military ships are built with a reinforced steel framework throughout the ship that's made for weapon hardpoints, so that the recoil from firing a railgun won't tear through the ship. Retrofitting that sort of framework into something the size of the Nauvoo might be as difficult as just building the ship again from scratch.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Title drop! :toot:

There are 3 more episodes after Dandelion Sky

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The blue effect looks like a video game from 2003. Not good

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I hope that at some point, as a Blu Ray extra or a random tweet or whatever, we get to see the black-void version of the ring space. I mean, at its most basic, it's what we've seen minus the nebula and related lighting effects, so it might be as simple as turning off those layers in the animation. I assume they didn't go with that for a reason, but a side-by-side would be neat.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Phi230 posted:

There are 3 more episodes after Dandelion Sky

And the gates opening mark the end of the slow zone issues right? So Speed Limit reduction #1 and #2 would have to happen in the next episode if indeed the end of the episode is the gates opening as well as all the mutiny & countermuntinies? Assuming they stick to the book events that's A LOT.

Is it possible that they just skip the whole mutiny plot all together? Naomi was Sam and they can't kill her plus she's already left the ship anyway. They can't off Drummer. And Ashford is getting all of the good Bull acts. They way they have been speeding though AG material I'm not so sure we don't leave a lot of that out. But if we don't have the mutiny then we can't redeem Melba/Peaches.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The episode synopses indicate that the season will end with the end of AG, so there's plenty of room for the mutiny and all that. I'm guessing the Dandelion Sky will be part of Holden's vision next episode.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Damnit! If we don't get Bobbie pulling off the freefall foot-braced rifle shot into the face of some belter wearing her armor I don't even know why the show is worth renewing.

If you're not going to do dope space stuff why have a dope space show?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

They're not skipping the mutiny.

quote:

310 - Dandelion Sky - Holden sees past, present, and future; a ghost from Melba's past threatens her mission; Bobbie struggles to trust an old friend as she leads a group into uncharted territory.

311 - Fallen World - Drummer and Ashford find themselves trapped with few options for survival; Anna tends to the wounded masses as Melba continues to hunt down her prey; the Rocinante crew struggles to survive as Naomi reunites with her true family.

312 - Congregation - As survivors arrive to the Behemoth, two factions form over how to handle a life-or-death threat; Holden grapples with what he's seen and the choices he must make.

313 - Abaddon's Gate - Holden and his allies must stop Ashford and his team from destroying the Ring, and perhaps all of humanity.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm guessing the Dandelion Sky will be part of Holden's vision next episode.

That makes a lot more sense than my baseless wonderings

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

People in the bad thread trying to find rationalizations for how Amos isn't really willing to use violence etc. is extremely lol

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 9, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

They're not skipping the mutiny.

Ah, that confirms that Bobbie is replacing one of the marines that goes after Holden/participates in the Behemoth fight. I figured that was how they'd keep her in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah, that confirms that Bobbie is replacing one of the marines that goes after Holden/participates in the Behemoth fight. I figured that was how they'd keep her in the story.

She's probably going to be wrecked with guilt over the disaster she causes.

• Locked thread