Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Technically in Tombstone Val Kilmer says "I'm your hucklebearer", referring to huckles, which are the handles on a casket

[img-themoreyouknow.jpg]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

Technically in Tombstone Val Kilmer says "I'm your hucklebearer", referring to huckles, which are the handles on a casket

[img-themoreyouknow.jpg]

Huh. Changes the scene a bit.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Hexenritter posted:

[img-themoreyouknow.jpg]

Don't ruin things for me, Tom Sawyer!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

Huh. Changes the scene a bit.

Yeah once you know that, it does paint it in a different light.

Toughy posted:

Don't ruin things for me, Tom Sawyer!

Well, Johnny Ringo did have "mean mean pride"

yes, I just made a Rush reference, what is happening

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

yes, I just made a Rush reference, what is happening

You tell me, I've been confused by these posts since yesterday.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

You see, basically it was -- HOLY poo poo THE GOODYEAR BLIMP! *Points, runs*

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

CourValant posted:

I referenced Val Kilmers performance as Doc Holiday,l.

Hex corrected my reference.
I further obscurred things by referencing the Huckleberry character of Mark Twain's. Tom Sawyer is Huckleberry's friend.

Hex took Tom Sawyer and made a reference to the Rush song called Tom Sawyer.
Now you're even more confused.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

You see, basically it was -- HOLY poo poo THE GOODYEAR BLIMP! *Points, runs*

Tease.

Toughy posted:

Now you're even more confused.

Actually that part I get; I watched that Tombstone movie way back when, and it was okay, not great.

I was referring to the whole 'FU Loel' and 'Hunting Down' other goons parts. Feels like I'm missing half of the conversation; I figured it was something that came up on Discord.

Also, of course Hex referenced Rush. :)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

See, I got the main point, but don't get any of the other references. I've never listened to Rush or seen any of the other stuff. But obviously, Loel's a character in a horror movie, and people are telling him not to go back into the house with the monster in it. I guess they're concerned that the monster will turn him evil and send him to hunt down goons, paying a bounty for each head, and he thinks he could live off the bounty and quit his job and write more.

gently caress, now I'm considering writing about evil Loel hunting Diog down. Is that weird? That seems weird.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I feel like explaining what he meant would ruin the mystique, and yes you did miss something that was linked on discord, but because I am kind *takes off xerxes outfit* loel is investigating re-enlisting as a commissioned officer.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Karia posted:

gently caress, now I'm considering writing about evil Loel hunting Diog down. Is that weird? That seems weird.

There can only be One!

Hexenritter posted:

I feel like explaining what he meant would ruin the mystique, and yes you did miss something that was linked on discord, but because I am kind *takes off xerxes outfit* loel is investigating re-enlisting as a commissioned officer.

Please invite me to the next goat-man orgy

That's what I figured; so what's the issue with re-upping? Isn't being a commissioned officer a sweet gig?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Ohhhh so when i say kill every bit of competition down to their component timelines I'm "Paranoid and Edgy" but when Loel suggests it every one if you linenup to pitch in.

Hmpf.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Would you like a hug? Sounds like you need a hug.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

CourValant posted:

Would you like a hug? Sounds like you need a hug.

Baby hasnt let me sleep in 5 days. If you hug me I will crumble to very appreciative and slightly paranoid dust.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

Baby hasnt let me sleep in 5 days. If you hug me I will crumble to very appreciative and slightly paranoid dust.

:glomp:

I'll go get the dustbuster. :ocelot: :)

Take care of yourself, Dad, and do try to get some sleep, although I realize its easier said than done.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Searching for the Other

Blackfinger was gazing into the black, hands crossed behind him. Symbolic images were scattered across the viewport - Titan, the Beast, their various support craft. They couldn’t be seen with the naked eye, of course - but they were highlighted, tagged with distance and velocity. It might take minutes for a civilian to read all the notations, but someone like Blackfinger could take the measure of it at a glance.

Elenora was by his side, watching it with half an eye. Every few moments a messenger came to her, a quiet word, a nod. Internal management of the fleet was her focus, much as the external movements were his. Even though they had been apart for decades, they acted like they had never left each other. Data flowed to them, and orders flowed out, as natural as breathing.

Scattered across the plot, dozens of minor outposts, days or weeks away. The Oort Cloud was comprehensively vast, and the largest asteroids had been colonized millennia ago. Given two tasks, written into them for hundreds of generations. Send comets to the interior system, and protect against invasion fleets. Feed Terra and Mars - defend Terra and Mars. Now both were gone.

They weren’t taking it well.

Messages poured in by the thousands, demands for aid, pleas for pickup, requests for explanation. Where had the Holy Worlds gone? A trillion humans or more, scattered across tens of thousands of AU. The sensor net here was one of the oldest in the galaxy, and information was transmitted across it like a vast web. Now Titan was leaving what was once Sol, and the last remaining survivors could only watch them go.

Blackfinger declined to answer. What could be said?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I’ll seek you out / Flay you Alive

Another note passed to Elenora. “And there it is.”
Blackfinger didn’t look away from the screen. “Our leader calls.”
“You going to tell her about … all this?” She waved at the screen.
“No real point. It’ll go on the written notes for the week, but other than that.”
“Right.” Elenora looked at the screen a little bit longer. “They’ll be okay, I think.”
“They’ve spent three hundred centuries in the dark, they’ll handle a few more.”
“Just another forgotten colony, away from any of the major routes.”
He chuckled humorlessly. “They are all like that now.”
Elenora paused, nodded. “I guess that’s true.”

They watched the screen silently.

-

There were Nephilim guarding the Alpha Deck.

Not that it was really needed. Between the two Eidolons and two Minds, there was probably nothing in a thousand light years who could even threaten Ohone. Still, it showed that showed that someone was taking security seriously. If he had to guess, it would be Fabiyan. The new elven walls and decks were aesthetically pleasing, but Blackfinger noticed that they were built in such away to provide an extremely challenging defense.

Which wasn’t particularly surprising, to be honest. Alpha Deck had been destroyed almost every year for the last five, and each rebuilding tried to improve on the lessons of the last. This was a new take - more open, perhaps more whimsical. But no one had ever accused elves of being easy to fight. He knew that the whole place would be built with subsonics, harmonics, and mind bending hallucinogens.

He sighed. Not that reality didn’t feel mind-bending enough, at times. The meeting, if it was to be called that, had several people he approved of. Fabiyan and Centurion, Limosa and Ching Shih. Hera and Loki. Someone he didn’t recognize - an older woman with knitting needles - but she had the type. Military Police of some sort.

But a few were there that were less reliable. Anna, the insane sorceress who had just tried to conquer the Dynasty. Amacita, the ousted leader. An unknown - one of the Imperial child soldiers, and holding a sniper rifle. He didn’t know where she had come from. He wasn’t sure why they were at a high level meeting like this. Yes, he was all about strange allies - one glance at his command staff would show that! But he found it better to get everyone on the same page before bringing in the outsiders.

Ohone was at the center of them, mechanical tendrils swaying behind her. They had been given woolen faces, making it seem like a child’s puppet show. They all looked like variants of her - feral, or elven. A couple looked like they had dabbled too deep in teksorcery.

Inwardly, he sighed. She was in one of her moods.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Oh yes!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hell yes I love Mechanical Puppet Theater.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Ohone was at the center of them, mechanical tendrils swaying behind her. They had been given woolen faces, making it seem like a child’s puppet show. They all looked like variants of her - feral, or elven. A couple looked like they had dabbled too deep in teksorcery.

Inwardly, he sighed. She was in one of her moods.

I'm picturing this now, on a whimsical Friday.

Imagine walking in to speak with your Manager, and finding him wearing finger puppets of himself, sitting at his desk.

Its both an awesome and disturbing image.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

One of her moods

You smiled genially. “Welcome, one and all. We’ve been in Sol more than a year, and I think we’ve performed quite well. One Acheron excursion from Blackheart, which we forced to retreat. One Acheron excursion from Anna, who is bound.” She nodded amiably. “And, of course, we’ve had substantial upgrades in combat power, fleet numbers, and the newly acquired support of Titan.”

Amacita narrowed her eyes. “What happened at the black hole?”
You looked at her expressionlessly. “What do you mean?”
She gestured. “You went halfway there. Left the fleet behind, took Anna with you. Approached the black hole, stopped, came back. What happened?”
You held out your hands expansively. “Upon closer examination, I thought the risk outweighed the reward.”

A number of side-glances around the table. You ignored them magnificently.

Amacita bulled on regardless. “Since showing up, we’ve lost Mars, Terra, Luna, Sol, and the Empress. I don’t know how you can sit there with loving handpuppets and pretend that everything is okay.”
You tapped your fingers. “Yes, thank you. I was coming to that. I know you feel that you have a second chance on life now that Anna tied the important people to you being alive, but please don’t pretend I won’t kill them all if I felt the need.”
She shifted sullenly, but didn’t reply. Sincera quirked a smile as she met your eyes, but didn’t speak.

Now then.” You looked about you. “Elenora, you said you built up some resources while we were here.”
Elenora shuffled her papers in front of her. “Yes, they should be coming along nicely. If they didn’t deviate from their instructions - and Loki and I were quite firm - then we should have nearly a billion entry level infantry, combined arms, zero-g forces. They aren’t elite, or even that capable, but with a stiffening of NCOs they should fit your needs.”

“Excellent. Now, my intent is to take the fleet, gather those extra troops, and head for this system.” You pulled it up on the map. “A useless little world, but Loki says that is one of the last major places in the galaxy with Dark Age tech. And I, for one, could use the upgrades.”

Any questions while we got the council here?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How come the plans for the Flourocat Army?

Tell Amacita to turn that frown upside down before we get ideas about surgery.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Ask about the oort cloud, we heard radio traffic but didn't pay much attention.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Any questions while we got the council here?

"SitRep. I know all of you have been working on your own plans and projects. Out with it. Now.

The Game has changed; we now face Galaxy Level Threats, and we need all eyes front and center."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Ask amacita if she would feel more comfortable managing the Oort Cloud colonies into self-sufficency?

Terra may be gone but this ground is still sacred.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I feel like leaving Amacita behind to try and organize the Oort cloud is a bad idea. We need to keep her around, preferably in a very safe containment so we don't lose the useful not-resentful-and-bitter allies tied to her.

Is that a billion entry-level infantry aboard the Beast? I mean, if we have space then why the gently caress not, but that's a lot of mouths to feed and water, lots of waste to process and remove, lotta indoctrination and training that needs to be done. Amacita being in charge of our army is a terrible idea, but I do want to put someone in charge of it. Maybe Fabiyan since he's pragmatic and everyone loves him already?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Not yet, Elenora went on a side quest and set up a bunch of cloning bays on old Family colonies. We'll need to hyperjump there, and they (should) have built support craft for them.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Out of the billion are a few hundredthousands the blank corps that nuetralize Acheron?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sure why not

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Toughy posted:

Out of the billion are a few hundredthousands the blank corps that nuetralize Acheron?

I thought we weren't using those anymore, now that we know that Imperator just adores them.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Maybe just regular blanks? Handy to have scattered through the forces. Walk up and frag a demon while its gloating about its mind control powers.

Edit: Research Todo list: Add note: Blanks and Gorgon?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Second String

Bricellus tapped the wooden hammer to the desk in front of him. “Hear ye, hear ye, calling the Greater Council to order.”

Frederik di Musio II snorted. “Greater council. Everytime, you start with that.”
Bricellus stared at him frostily. “It’s protection. We formalize it, Caroline writes everything down, and we’re all above board. The Seneschal gets a copy.”
Another snort. “Please. If our mistress wanted us dead, she wouldn’t care that Caroline kept the minutes.” He looked about him exaggeratedly. “I don’t see Elenora around here anyway, maybe the stormtroopers are already on their way.”

The two military people in the room shifted uneasily. Colonel Astri, commander of the Grey Guard, and Colonel Wolfgang, in charge of training. Astri spoke first. “I am unaware of any new purge lists at this time.”
Frederik rolled his eyes. “She shot your predecessor in the face.”
“She hasn’t shot me in the face yet.” Astri furrowed her eyebrows. “Why do you insist on doing this every meeting?”

He paused, leaned back in his chair. “I’m bored.”
“But you insist on showing up everytime.”
“That’s how bored I am. This is better than the alternative.” He sighed. “Months, just sailing away from what used to be Terra.”
“You could help out you know.” Wolfgang’s tone was frosty.
“Oh, no, I couldn’t. You are doing great, I’m sure.”

”Moving on.” Bricellus tapped the hammer again. “How is the integration of the Terrans going?”
Heirophant Isaac leaned forward. The territorial disputes between him and Bricellus were fierce, but in this they were in agreement. “They have a good background in scriptural teachings, for the most part. Adapting them to Saint Fabiyan has not been difficult. Primarily, it’s been a matter of discovering what Limosa did to the ship, more so than designating tasks. We aren’t sure what a lot of the elven mysteries do, and he hasn’t been sharing.”

Bricellus and Claudius both grimaced at that, similar images of revulsion.

Sister Katarina spoke up. “For the rest - primarily former nobles and the like. They don’t adapt well to the more … rustic … traditions, and I am working on bringing them into the Beast aristocracy.”
Young Henderson shook his head. “Ohone would never allow so many strangers into the inner Family.”
“Well, no, but they expect a certain level of comfort. I’ve established a diplomatic quarters, given them human servants.”

Frederik tapped his fingers. “Oh good, another wing of parasites.”
Katarina stared at him. “What do you do here again?”
He met her gaze with a stone gaze of his own, and then smiled meaninglessly. “Entertain you with my wit, of course.”

Bricellus sighed. “Moving on…

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 17, 2018

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Yes good.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Meanwhile

Staff Sergeant Dela Torres looked about the bar of the Gilded Fish confusedly. “Man, where is everybody?”
Captain Skade poked her. “That pretend meeting they go to every week to pretend they are important.”
Dela Torres considered this. “Why don’t we ever go to that meeting?”
“Because we don’t need to pretend, we already know.”
“... Ah. Is that why Di Musio the Lesser isn’t here?”

Anamaria snorted, needlessly wiped the bar one more time. “I think he mostly goes there to heckle people. He doesn’t like responsibility, just the easy life.”
Skade laughed. “Which is why he has you running his bar.”
She made a face. “Well, yes. He pays me.”

The two Family members at the other side of the bar shook their heads. One of them, Astin de Merode spoke. “Trust me, it’s boring as hell. We went to the first couple, but why do more paperwork than you have to?”
The other, Oskar Ravensburg, nodded. “I don’t think Cromwell has spoken once since he got there. Losing Diachenko didn’t help him much.”
Skade paused. “Remind me.”
“Cromwell was the psyker who can take calls. Diachenko was the psyker who could read a map.”
“... Ah. And when Terra fell…”
“Yeah. Diachenko died or went insane or something. Doesn’t matter.”

“Fair enough.” She turned to look at her drinking companion. “I’m surprised you aren’t up there.”
He shrugged. “I died.”
“Me too, but so what?”
Di Musio - the original - paused. “Ah, right. I forgot, people around Ohone keep coming back.”
“Look who’s talking.”
Another shrug. “I pretended to be dead long enough for her to get full control of the Dynasty. Now, no one cares about another man in a bar.”
Jeb nodded at that. Di Musio considered his words. “Know who I’d like to see back though?”
Skade gestured. “Who?”
“Dwarf.”

She blinked. “Oh, yeah. What happened to him?”
“Edourd killed him couple weeks ago. RIght before he went insane.”
“Yeeowch. Awkward.”
“Yeah. And Edourd got possessed and bound, so it’s not like he knows about it.”
“He was a good guy.”
“Yeah. They both were.”

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Loel posted:

Meanwhile
Jeb nodded at that. Di Musio considered his words. “Know who I’d like to see back though?”
Skade gestured. “Who?”
“Dwarf.”

She blinked. “Oh, yeah. What happened to him?”
“Edourd killed him couple weeks ago. RIght before he went insane.”
“Yeeowch. Awkward.”
“Yeah. And Edourd got possessed and bound, so it’s not like he knows about it.”
“He was a good guy.”
“Yeah. They both were.”

;n;

I hope we can get Ed help. RIP Dwarf, and here's hoping we can get a few more integrated scenes with upper and lower councils meshing.

What actually happened to Galahad, by the way? I know Anna had his soul for a bit, but can we put him back in a body?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Engine Room

<beep boop beep beep boop> said Chi 313.
<boop beep> disagreed Jo3.
<beep beep beep beep beep> proclaimed Lux.
Theta and Tibus immediately interjected. <boop boop beep boop.>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP> shouted Null excitedly.

Omega, observing from Eminent Domain, simply shook his head. <We’re going to need a bigger laser.>

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Loel posted:

Engine Room

Theta and Tibus immediately interjected. <boop boop beep boop.>

THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE! Who says that in polite company?!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

These interludes are awesome.

I feel like this should be a music number, tying all the disparate pieces to the overall story, kinda like the 'One Day More . . . ' song from Les Mis.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Finally caught up.

What the gently caress guys.