Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Fatty brisket is delicious, and I don't even comprehend how anyone thinks otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fatty is something you should specifically need to order.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Eat the fat you cowards

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

SubG posted:

Oh god I just looked up His Holiness López-Alt's brisket photos and the finished slices have like a cm of fat on them.

Looking again now that you mention it I don't think mine came with quite that much. Maybe somewhere between half and two thirds? It tasted good anyway :shrug:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

VERTiG0 posted:

Eat the fat you cowards

Give me the moist cut every day. Flat is for chumps.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If I am water-bath reheating a fully cooked medium rare steak, I'm good as long as I stay under the original temp, right?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Feenix posted:

If I am water-bath reheating a fully cooked medium rare steak, I'm good as long as I stay under the original temp, right?

Under or at, yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wouldn’t let it go for hours, but otherwise yeah.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

I wouldn’t let it go for hours, but otherwise yeah.

Nah like an hour or so. Thanks dudes...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Night Shade posted:

Looking again now that you mention it I don't think mine came with quite that much. Maybe somewhere between half and two thirds? It tasted good anyway :shrug:
If you liked it, that's all that really matters.

That said, as a general guideline I'd suggest trimming almost all of the fat off the flat, simply because you want salt on the surface of the meat to allow it to penetrate, which will improve flavour and increase water retention (via the standard brining/dry rub mechanics); and you want smoke (or your curing powder or whatever you're subbing with in a s-v/modernist method) on the surface to develop the smoke ring. The smoke ring is mostly cosmetic so whatever on that. But too much fat fucks with the rub and that can affect the quality of the result, even if just resulting in a more uneven final product.

The fat is never going to soak into the meat or anything like that (which I mention because it's one of those persistent bbq myths), and the fat in the cap on the flat isn't the same stuff that's in the marbling in the deckle/point. This probably isn't the place to do a huge meatsci infodump on different kinds of fat, but the layer of fat under the skin of a land animal like a cow isn't like the fat around its organs and that isn't like the intramuscular fat that provides marbling. And fat varies between breeds and types of fodder, but whatever.

The reason I take the time to point this out is that it looks like the conversation immediately turned to fatty/juicy brisket versus lean. Which has nothing whatsoever to do with how you trim the flat. If you are given the option of juicy versus lean on a menu, they're asking you point or flat, not untrimmed versus trimmed flat. Or at least they sure as poo poo ought to be.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Picked up a decent ribeye to try out the heat gun tonight and figured I’d grab a single tuna steak to experiment with.

Tried the tuna just now and I am half on the fence of saying “don’t use a heat gun to finish tuna”.

I was hoping/expecting it to be like beef, where the browning kicked in and left an amazing browned top layer and perfect rare inside, but got the exact opposite. The fish took forever to brown and actually ended up cooking on the inside, and came out with the color and consistency of canned tuna.

The reason I’m half on the fence about it is that was the best god drat “canned” tuna I’ve ever had in my life. Absolutely not what I intended to make, but still so good. :swoon:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's a bunch of duck wings in the freezer; will they sous vide? I'd rather roast them but all I have on me is an induction plate, a cast iron, and a sous vide setup. I've found almost nothing online about doing it with duck wings so I don't even know where to start; all I've seen is a random poster on reddit saying 160 F for 4 hours.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 6, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SubG posted:

If you liked it, that's all that really matters.

That said, as a general guideline I'd suggest trimming almost all of the fat off the flat, simply because you want salt on the surface of the meat to allow it to penetrate, which will improve flavour and increase water retention (via the standard brining/dry rub mechanics); and you want smoke (or your curing powder or whatever you're subbing with in a s-v/modernist method) on the surface to develop the smoke ring. The smoke ring is mostly cosmetic so whatever on that. But too much fat fucks with the rub and that can affect the quality of the result, even if just resulting in a more uneven final product.

The fat is never going to soak into the meat or anything like that (which I mention because it's one of those persistent bbq myths), and the fat in the cap on the flat isn't the same stuff that's in the marbling in the deckle/point. This probably isn't the place to do a huge meatsci infodump on different kinds of fat, but the layer of fat under the skin of a land animal like a cow isn't like the fat around its organs and that isn't like the intramuscular fat that provides marbling. And fat varies between breeds and types of fodder, but whatever.

The reason I take the time to point this out is that it looks like the conversation immediately turned to fatty/juicy brisket versus lean. Which has nothing whatsoever to do with how you trim the flat. If you are given the option of juicy versus lean on a menu, they're asking you point or flat, not untrimmed versus trimmed flat. Or at least they sure as poo poo ought to be.

You da real mvp.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Feenix posted:

You da real mvp.

:yeah:

I'll trim the next one I do and see how it goes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

There's a bunch of duck wings in the freezer; will they sous vide? I'd rather roast them but all I have on me is an induction plate, a cast iron, and a sous vide setup. I've found almost nothing online about doing it with duck wings so I don't even know where to start; all I've seen is a random poster on reddit saying 160 F for 4 hours.

I wish I had a bunch of duck wings. Smoked duck wings are one of the best things on the planet. It's hard to sous vide them though because you will just get mushy skin. This means you have to take the skins off before and crisp them separately, which sucks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

baquerd posted:

I wish I had a bunch of duck wings. Smoked duck wings are one of the best things on the planet. It's hard to sous vide them though because you will just get mushy skin. This means you have to take the skins off before and crisp them separately, which sucks.

Maybe the chicken breast technique works. Unbag, let cool, pat the skin dry. Blast under broilers to finish and reheat.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ola posted:

Maybe the chicken breast technique works. Unbag, let cool, pat the skin dry. Blast under broilers to finish and reheat.

Wings are too small - you might as well just broil them to begin with.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Though I plan to remedy this some time soon, we currently don't have a grill or smoker so we figured we'd try sous vide ribs. Went for 36 hours.

The result is great compared to having to fiddle with a grill over 8 hours, replacing wood chips and making sure the smoke is at the right temp.

But I don't trust Kenji anymore in matters of salt, and I still should've salted the dry rub before bagging in this case. The texture was great but the flavour was kind of bland--tasted almost like boiled meat. :negative:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
One time I followed his suggestion to dump the juices (and incidentally quite a bit of the rub) from a sous vide "BBQ" chuck roast into my homemade sauce and it completely ruined it with all the salt. The meat was great, but ruining the sauce moments before dinner was a real bummer.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

One time I followed his suggestion to dump the juices (and incidentally quite a bit of the rub) from a sous vide "BBQ" chuck roast into my homemade sauce and it completely ruined it with all the salt. The meat was great, but ruining the sauce moments before dinner was a real bummer.

Haha, yeah, I did the same thing a while back with another one of his recipes and the resulting sauce went from pretty good to totally inedible. The meat was... heavily seasoned but otherwise passable at least.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dude seems to like his salt. I love the texture of the oven wings recipe he has but holy god it’s like eating chicken jerky if you add even a tiny bit more salt.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
My wife doesn't know who Kenji is, but by salt content alone she can instantly recognize when I try out another of his recipes.

Is his kosher salt coarser than mine? Are my spoons bigger? Or does he just not taste salt?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I want to post that I don't think his recipes are salty, but I don't particularly know if I ever actually use his measurements for things like seasoning since I never measure anything past "yeah that seems good" and general ratios of thing to other thing

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Are you using Morton kosher salt? This article goes into a bit about average densities for various salt types. Typically they use Diamond Crystal, so if you're using Morton, you're using ~60% more salt if you use equivalent volumetric measurements.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

nah using dc

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Stop measuring salt you animals

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Never measure salt" could be a thing. If you're measuring salt, and you're not making industrial amounts of pickles, something is wrong. If you're in the sous vide thread, you have expanded ideas about heat and food. You can have them about salt and food as well. A recipe is not a chemical formula that is drastically different when you change the amount of sodium chloride. Recipe writers are very sloppy with amounts and timings, and we experience saltiness differently, so there is good reason to ignore them.

If you find yourself measuring salt in exact amounts, something is wrong. Early salting that doesn't fundamentally change the food, such as breaking down sauteeing onions or making tzatziki-bound cucumbers release their moisture, is a health hazard in that it adds salt without adding flavor. It hides salt, so you think you need even more salt later on. If there is no particular reason to add salt, don't add salt. Salt to taste, err shy of perfect when entertaining, put a nice cup of maldon salt on the table, let guests fine tune their own experience.

I like salty food, but I have discovered to my horror just how much salt I can tolerate without noticing the food is salty.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Either that or you're baking which is of course outside the scope of this thread.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lawnie posted:

i mean, 98% of the time i don't unless i'm pickling/curing/some baking reactions and it Actually Matters, but if i'm bothering to follow a specific recipe for the first time and presumably the author has gone to the trouble of being accurate in their measurements, i do the same so i learn what they were aiming for

from following this/these recipes, i learned that apparently j. kenji lopez-alt is a loving deer or something and i might as well just slap a salt lick on the table and call it a day

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I don't find his recipes salty at all. To me, they're good,

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

There’s been complaints in the comments of many of his recipes and he has admitted he has a pretty high tolerance for salt.

I think he actually revised the oven baked wings recipe because too many people (myself included) complained.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

VERTiG0 posted:

I don't find his recipes salty at all. To me, they're good,

I don't really, either. It was just the one time I used the juice from a sous vide bag.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I never measure my salt either
or spices for that matter

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Lawnie posted:

spankmeister posted:

I never measure my salt either
or spices for that matter
Measuring salt and acknowledging the difference in grain size are separate concepts :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I measure salt for brines. :shrug:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Elizabethan Error posted:

Measuring salt and acknowledging the difference in grain size are separate concepts :colbert:

This is true but also false. You should be aware of the difference in how much salt you can pinch between brands, but you should still salt to taste instead of measuring it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm still getting the hang of this sous vide, and cooking in general honestly. I tried a couple of ribeyes tonight at 130F for 2 hours.

That was mine, I haven't eaten it yet so I put it in the fridge. I'll probably try a quick sear here in a bit and see how it does. Does that look right to you guys? I tried a tiny bite and it was pretty good. However my brother immediately started eating his and I did notice the top part seemed not as "done" and was a bit more stringy. I think it was just because I used ziploc bags and wasn't able to get a perfect vacuum, so there was a tiny bit of air with the very top part of the steak barely poking out at the edge of the water. Unless they are super expensive I'll see about getting a vacuum sealer.

Any advice? Did I gently caress it up too bad?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm still getting the hang of this sous vide, and cooking in general honestly. I tried a couple of ribeyes tonight at 130F for 2 hours.

That was mine, I haven't eaten it yet so I put it in the fridge. I'll probably try a quick sear here in a bit and see how it does. Does that look right to you guys? I tried a tiny bite and it was pretty good. However my brother immediately started eating his and I did notice the top part seemed not as "done" and was a bit more stringy. I think it was just because I used ziploc bags and wasn't able to get a perfect vacuum, so there was a tiny bit of air with the very top part of the steak barely poking out at the edge of the water. Unless they are super expensive I'll see about getting a vacuum sealer.

Gross pic bro but it doesn't look wrong. If by 'top' you mean the part corresponding to the top right part in your pic, that's the rib cap and it has a texture different from the rest of the steak. It's also thought of by many as being one of the best pieces of meat on the cow.

A tiny bit of air in your bag is generally no big deal. If it tastes good to you then you did it right. I have a fancy vac bagger and prefer ziplocs for short cooks.

One thing I'd mention, having cooked lots of steaks myself, is that you can do leaner cuts really nice with sous vide. You don't need all the commective tissue of the ribeye to keep it moist like if you were overcooking it on a grill. If you wind up with a lot of gristle, try a strip or something leaner like that next time. Or you can sous vide a ribeye for like 4 hours and get a little more of that gristle gelatinized.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Please always sear your meat, it's important for the flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

that's definitely how a sous vide steak looks, but the idea of eating one without searing it at the end is pretty gross to me. please sear it :)