Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Waroduce posted:

Guys I just found out CM Punk is a WWE wrestler with no real training from a guy at work and he also got rear naked choked like 120 seconds into his first fight and got taken down first move, never stood back up and is a loving joke lmao

He also was paid 500K for that fight so jesus titty sucking christ wtf UFC

https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/1004578812858859521

Waroduce posted:

My desire to know more intensifies

The WWE is a company that is insanely scummy and treats its talents like poo poo. Punk was one of their top guys, and then he quit what seemed like completely out of the blue. Around a year and a half later, he went on a podcast and served up all of the dirt on why he walked away (had an untreated staph infection on his rear end, had post-concussion syndrome, WWE doctors ignored these, they couriered notice that he was being fired so he would receive it on the day of his wedding). The doctor who he said mistreated him took him and the podcast host to court for defamation basically because his fee fees were hurt (doctor admitted no material disadvantage due to the podcast). The doctor sought $4 million in damages, and on Tuesday he lost the case. Punk is still on the hook for all sorts of legal fees but was worth about 10 million when he quit wrestling so he's probably fine.

Your first post about him being someone with no real training is 100% spot on though. Mickey Gall, the guy who beat him in his first UFC match, is a decent prospect who could become really good if he keeps at it for 4-5 more years at a good camp. He outclassed Punk so hard that it was a god drat joke.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Waroduce posted:

My desire to know more intensifies

CM Punk went on a podcast hosted by his buddy and talked poo poo about a WWE trainer/doctor about a lump on Punk's rear end that he may or may not have had saying the doctor ignored him and didn't help and the doctor sued him for 8 million total in damages - 1 dollar for everyone that heard the podcast then doubled or something like that. The thought being thrown around was WWE being the petty company they are put the doctor up to it just to bleed punk of whatever money he has and possibly bankrupt him in defense fees or judgement.

I can't do the trial notes justice, so if you ever want to have a laugh look up the notes from the trial. It was a clownshow from top to bottom.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I can't do the trial notes justice, so if you ever want to have a laugh look up the notes from the trial. It was a clownshow from top to bottom.

They read out tweets from such social media luminaries as Mike Litoris.

The dumbest part is that the doctor was seeking damages and then admitted - in court, under oath - that he hadn't been damaged.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

From CM Punk's lawyer's twitter:

https://twitter.com/LauraKMcNally/status/1004388023440637952

They were trying to take every dollar he had

quote:

Punk noted that while he doesn't have to pay anything, he spent a lot of money in legal fees for his defense. He said that to recover those fees, he would have to file his own lawsuit. Punk noted that he doesn't think he'll do that.

"I don't think it's my style," Punk said. "I don't know know what I'm going to do. This whole experience has taught me a lot... I'm on the fence. Money is just paper, but that was my life's work. I do think it was intentionally done to bleed me of money. It's over, and there's a big part of me like, it's over. Just leave me alone. I don't want anything to do with you. That's how negative that situation is, and I don't want anything to do with it. I just want to be over here and be happy [motions to his right], so I'll probably just stay over here and be happy."

Punk added that the trial was supposed to start earlier than it did, but Amann's side was filing motions and "stuff got delayed." When asked if he thinks that "they" got the trial moved to end this week to affect his fight, Punk replied, "If you know them and if you worked there, it makes a lot of sense. But I don't know."

So they may have also stalled poo poo out in court just to make sure the trial was at the same time as his upcoming fight

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 8, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Is he trying to throw a punch or tag someone else into the ring?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Say Nothing posted:

Is he trying to throw a punch or tag someone else into the ring?

I think he started throwing it and then instead of following through, watched his vastly-more-capable opponent duck under with a very idiot-dog-from-Looney-Tunes "duuuuUUHHH?" look on his face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So they may have also stalled poo poo out in court just to make sure the trial was at the same time as his upcoming fight

This is the company that "accidentally" sent him a termination notice (he had walked out months earlier) on his wedding day, by the way.

The trial also revealed that the Doctor had violated HIPAA multiple times and that WWE didn't require their medical staff to keep any records of medication issued to wrestlers or even if they'd had consultations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
So, obviously the UFC is going to pay the (other) can to take a dive, because, otherwise, Punk is going to get manhandled by an 8th-tier nobody. Right?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

I can't figure out why the odds on RDA Covington are so tight

There's some idea that I've seen repeated that RDA struggles with wrestlers. Even though the last time he got badly outwrestled was by Khabib 4 years ago. His only losses since then (and for much of his career) have been on the feet. Statistically, his takedown defence is 66%, which is pretty loving solid.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I'm still in love with that knee he throws on the ground.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I am Otis posted:

It's a good nick name I think

LL Cool J (w)raps back around to cool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

LL Cool J (w)raps back around to cool.

No, cool is in the middle.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

So, obviously the UFC is going to pay the (other) can to take a dive, because, otherwise, Punk is going to get manhandled by an 8th-tier nobody. Right?

UFC pays CMPunk because he brings buys, they don't expect him to be competitive, he just moves the needle and gets a bunch of casuals to pay attention, win or lose.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I may be in the minority here but I actually hope Punk can beat a 0-1 photographer, mostly because if he loses this I won't get to see any more funny CM Punk bumfights

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Romero, Colvington, Arloviski, Jackson, Overeem and Benevidez still to weigh in

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/8/17440406/ufc-225-weigh-in-video

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Soothing Vapors posted:

I may be in the minority here but I actually hope Punk can beat a 0-1 photographer, mostly because if he loses this I won't get to see any more funny CM Punk bumfights

he's like 40 so you wont be getting too many either way

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Colvington weighed in at 169 (nice)

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Is Punk at least the favorite going into this fight with a dead person

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

Last I checked, no.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I wonder if they ordered Esparzas tombstone yet?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ad by Khad posted:

Currently on Bovada:

CM Punk +170
Mike Jackson -220

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I'm excited for the fights tomorrow! It'll be interesting to see what Megan Anderson brings, James Krause is her coach and he's legit. I saw her fight in Invicta and get rocked by Charmaine Tweet--despite absolutey dominating Tweet--so hopefully she has shored some things up. Obviously most interested in Whittaker-Romero, love em both.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

TheKingslayer posted:

Last I checked, no.

Propofol is the best base for MMA

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

This is the company that "accidentally" sent him a termination notice (he had walked out months earlier) on his wedding day, by the way.

Goddamn lol, I forgot about that. It's amazing how far a company worth billions will sink to do petty poo poo to one guy when it's run by a 70 year old manchild

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I have a buddy who sparred with Mike Jackson and said he was a better boxer than he was by a good margin. Punk is dead.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yoel little fast getting those shorts off.

He was 1lb over with 2 hours to cut it.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Romero has 2 hours to cut a single pound.

edit: ^^ drat yoooouuuuu

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Romero weighed in at 186, but they are giving him 2 more hours to cut that last pound. Everyone else made weight.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
hang in there mister yoel

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
romero can probably gut it out, especially into a pair of purple compression shorts

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Whichever answer doesn’t have a follow up question

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ariel Helwani is currently torturing us by singing while waiting for Romero.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This next fight is probably going to barely cover the legal expenses he just had defending himself from a lawsuit put forward with the sole reason being to cost him money though so it all evens out in the end

Yeah, that probably has a lot to do with the 'anxiety', he just got out of a week of court.

Memento posted:

The dumbest part is that the doctor was seeking damages and then admitted - in court, under oath - that he hadn't been damaged.

Nah, the dumber part was him casually admitting to breaking HIPAA in his testimony. :psyduck:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Or he looks like absolute garbage when he hits pads and does light work

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

Or he looks like absolute garbage when he hits pads and does light work

It's this.

Whenever I see the gif of his two missed punches I don't know whether to laugh or cry. He doesn't even make fists and like they never trained him in situations where punches miss.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Punk's skills. He's a busted-rear end dude who's six months from 40, and who's been training seriously for like three years and isn't a great prospect to start with.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Ariel's singing is oddly hypnotic

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

like, everyone else in the room is shooting the poo poo, hanging out, doing normal poo poo while you wait, and ariel's standing in the loving corner singing to himself about weight cuts for like 45 minutes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Romero has about 5 minutes left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

yoel over by 0.2

• Locked thread