Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anybody on Office 365 seeing multiple-hour delays on inbound messages coming from Hotmail/Outlook.com?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

spog posted:

Go look at the new babby again.

Then realise that the absolutely most important part of your work day is utterly insignificant when compared to her.

Doing an inline upgrade rather than having to reimage across the whole site is a pathetic victory compared to her having her first poop.

1) only photos / videos / facetime right now. I'm a couple hours away. Basically have this up on my laptop 24/7

2) yeah, but i'm still trying to be awesome at my job, or at least look like I care when I really really do not.

3) ooh she poopin'. three times yesterday. bonus points : apparently fresh air down there makes her pee or something, as the nurse had to change her 3 times in a row because as soon as she hit the open air and a new diaper was put around her, she'd hose it down.

She's going to be spoiled as poo poo, considering she's the first female to be born into either side of my wife's family in 30 and change years. I'm not helping either :

edit : vvvvv : yeah. NICU nurses are superhuman. Summer's bubbliest nurse I just don't understand. She was as bright and cheerful and peppy at the end of her 12 hour shift the other day as she was at the beginning.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 6, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Nerdrock posted:

1) only photos / videos / facetime right now. I'm a couple hours away. Basically have this up on my laptop 24/7

2) yeah, but i'm still trying to be awesome at my job, or at least look like I care when I really really do not.

3) ooh she poopin'. three times yesterday. bonus points : apparently fresh air down there makes her pee or something, as the nurse had to change her 3 times in a row because as soon as she hit the open air and a new diaper was put around her, she'd hose it down.

She's going to be spoiled as poo poo, considering she's the first female to be born into either side of my wife's family in 30 and change years. I'm not helping either :

Poopin and peein is a ridiculously good thing - that's awesome.
Legit though, make sure to take care of yourself (and your wife) a bit. This poo poo is stressful.
Also, if the NICU nurses there are anything like every NICU nurse I've ever met, they are amongst the best of the best - your family is in good hands.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nerdrock posted:

edit : vvvvv : yeah. NICU nurses are superhuman. Summer's bubbliest nurse I just don't understand. She was as bright and cheerful and peppy at the end of her 12 hour shift the other day as she was at the beginning.

Maybe stop by the healtchare megathread, a lot of people there work with preemies.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I love being asked at the start of my day to help users break into another user's profile because said other user didn't finish charting on a patient. But what's even better than that is when members of our own clinical support team ask me to do it, then get snappy with me when I mention that I have fairly strong reservations about resetting the password of a user in good standing without their consent.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Anybody on Office 365 seeing multiple-hour delays on inbound messages coming from Hotmail/Outlook.com?

I had a ticket come in somewhat to this affect, but have been unable to reliably reproduce it.

The Muffinlord posted:

I love being asked at the start of my day to help users break into another user's profile because said other user didn't finish charting on a patient. But what's even better than that is when members of our own clinical support team ask me to do it, then get snappy with me when I mention that I have fairly strong reservations about resetting the password of a user in good standing without their consent.

Devoid of any and all context, doing nothing is where I would start.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Devoid of any and all context, doing nothing is where I would start.

Oh I did super ultra nothing, aside from telling my boss and a member of the network team about this. I got other poo poo to worry about than "night nurse is bad at job".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah if I ever get asked to change a password of another user it comes from management, not from a co-worker.

That got me bit in the arse once. Never again.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Nerdrock posted:

A human came in a week ago...

This shot however was from Saturday.

Congratulations on your new tiny human!

Nerdrock posted:

The amount of fucks I've given about literally anything at work right now has reached new and unprecedented levels of zero.

This means you are doing it right. There are a few moments in life, like a birth, a health crisis, or a death, that forces you to well and truly understand that some poo poo is IMPORTANT and the rest is absolute bullshit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The comparisons between changing diapers and dealing with management in an IT capacity are striking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They're both full of poo poo.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Nerdrock posted:

...my 1.5 lb 3-months-early baby...
My son was born in 1993 at 2.5 months early. Not much bigger than your girl. The picture really sent chills of recognition up my spine.

Touch and hold that baby as much as you can for as often as you can and as long as you can. No matter what issues or interruptions you cause, that baby must be held and cuddled and touched. Must be. Learn from my experience.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

GPF posted:

My son was born in 1993 at 2.5 months early. Not much bigger than your girl. The picture really sent chills of recognition up my spine.

Touch and hold that baby as much as you can for as often as you can and as long as you can. No matter what issues or interruptions you cause, that baby must be held and cuddled and touched. Must be. Learn from my experience.

Qft. My older daughter was (only six weeks) early, but she practically lived in our arms from the moment she got the boot from the NICU until she was around 8 months old. Baby wearing all the time doing all the things was a way of life.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nerdrock posted:

This shot however was from Saturday.

I'm out of PTO time so it's super great being back at work while my 1.5 lb 3-months-early baby chills about 2 hours away from me. The amount of fucks I've given about literally anything at work right now has reached new and unprecedented levels of zero.

Edit for the curious : This is our first and probably only child, after 5+ years of attempts. Her name is Summer and she's probably going to live in that box for the next few months.

Ours arrived at 29 weeks 4 days (the water broke a week earlier and Mrs. Schadenboner was in the hospital) so I know this feel. I hope everything gets better.

Kangaroo care is really helpful, it seems like.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So I thought I had :yotj:'d into a datacentre role but it seems that being able to find my way to a specific security door buried deep in the racks to test it and then get back to the NOC is an achievement so unheard of that they actually had to check the CCTV to make sure I actually did it...

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Just read all this in the last few days. Only one question so far.

Larches. What happened with the :yotj:? You had an offer and then :confused:.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Question time: I'm writing a script to automate the mounting and spot checking our full-system backups and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a file that I can check that would change pretty frequently? I don't think something like this exists and so we might need to manually add something to our backup jobs to create some kind of text file with a timestamp in it that I can check for staleness (e.g. if the timestamp is older than one day, we know that the backup isn't grabbing the latest version of the file and so we should investigate), but if something like this already exists, I'd love to know about it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Maybe the registry hives? Assuming Windows.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nexxai posted:

Question time: I'm writing a script to automate the mounting and spot checking our full-system backups and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a file that I can check that would change pretty frequently? I don't think something like this exists and so we might need to manually add something to our backup jobs to create some kind of text file with a timestamp in it that I can check for staleness (e.g. if the timestamp is older than one day, we know that the backup isn't grabbing the latest version of the file and so we should investigate), but if something like this already exists, I'd love to know about it.

If it's on linux, couldn't you just stat ${file} |grep Change ?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nexxai posted:

Run a script on the computer that writes the timestamp to C:\Somewhere\filename.txt, then check that.

Way better than checking some file that *probably* updates every day.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Run a script on the computer that writes the timestamp to C:\Somewhere\filename.txt, then check that.

Way better than checking some file that *probably* updates every day.

This. I would just create a scheduled task which runs a script that writes to a file daily.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Claptain posted:

This. I would just create a scheduled task which runs a script that writes to a file daily.

This is how I test all my backup related stuff.

The script creates the file if it doesn't exist and appends the timestamp and a newline to the end of the file. Script is scheduled to run X times per day.

If I'm also testing databases, the script checks for a table, creates it if it doesn't exist, then adds the timestamp on a new row.

Then when I restore, I check those things and always know if it's got the latest data.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

The Claptain posted:

Thanks everyone.

This is what I ended up doing:

code:
@echo off
SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

for /f "tokens=2 delims=:=" %%A in ('wmic logicaldisk where "drivetype=3" get name /value') do (
	set timestampfile=BackupTimestamp.txt
	echo %DATE% %TIME% > %%A:\!timestampfile!
)
and I have the backup software run that batch file immediately before the backup job actually kicks off. Then my Powershell script just checks that the timestamp is less than 1 day old (imagine this is inside of a for loop that checks each drive):

code:
$timestampPath = $drivePath + "\BackupTimestamp.txt"

# Get the first line of the Timestamp file 
$rawTimestamp = Get-Content $timestampPath -First 1

# Parse the text into a [datetime] PowerShell object for comparison purposes
$timestamp = [datetime]::Parse($rawTimestamp)

# Get yesterday's date and time (specifically: exactly 24 hours ago)
$olderThanOneDay = (Get-Date).AddDays(-1)

# Check to see if the timestamped file is older than yesterday
if ($olderThanOneDay -gt $timestamp) {

# Mounted backup file is older than 24 hours; this is bad
    Write-Host Backups on $drive may be failing as timestamp file has not been updated in more than one day

} else {

# Verified backup happened in the last 24 hours; this is good
    Write-Host Backups on $drive seems to be OK as timestamp file was verified as being created within the past 24 hours

}

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
Woke up very early this morning to a torrent of alert messages regarding a European partner of ours.

drat near all of their sites were completely unreachable. Could get intermittent connectivity from the US, but from anything in their country, it was down.

After a lot of bullshit, turns out that the data center that provided DNS to their region had a gas leak and power was shut down to the building.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s always DNS

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Loanarn posted:

Just read all this in the last few days. Only one question so far.

Larches. What happened with the :yotj:? You had an offer and then :confused:.

He's been chained to a freshly installed overhead rail at the school, like that bit from the ending of Breaking Bad. It fixes the PC Load Letter or else it gets the hose again!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

It’s always DNS

It's not always DNS* but it's never not-DNS, if that makes sense?

*: Ron Howard: "It was always DNS"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Allegedly Allergic posted:

Woke up very early this morning to a torrent of alert messages regarding a European partner of ours.

drat near all of their sites were completely unreachable. Could get intermittent connectivity from the US, but from anything in their country, it was down.

After a lot of bullshit, turns out that the data center that provided DNS to their region had a gas leak and power was shut down to the building.

A $5 vps would have saved them from that...

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Our 9 year old Cisco switch stacks started to develop... issues. POE disabling, not able to SSH into them... Just not providing network to certain ports... Turns out their uptime was 8.5 years, and so when powered off today, they did not turn back on.

This was planned for, so I spent the better part of 12 hours with the boss today moving about 600 network ports into new* switches in three different IDF closets. There are 4 other stacks that are the same age/uptime. :shepface: We do not have any more spares.

*New to us! The spares were made in 2012!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

IT's me, I'm the ticket

I just wrecked my work laptop by trying to reclaim 40gb of an unused partition to the main drive using gparted. I had to de-bitlocker it first though

Gparted worked fine but it wouldn't boot and I of course did not backup poo poo or create a recovery media or anything

luckily I had a windows 10 usb media hidden in a forgotten pocket of my bag (found my favorite pen too in the same pocket!) that i happened to remember and used that to get a win10 cmd prompt and fix the boot mgr bdc or something now i got that sweet sweet 40gb to fill with more poo poo from sharefile and other pain in the rear end development stuff :rock:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

IT's me, I'm the ticket

I just wrecked my work laptop by trying to reclaim 40gb of an unused partition to the main drive using gparted. I had to de-bitlocker it first though

Gparted worked fine but it wouldn't boot and I of course did not backup poo poo or create a recovery media or anything

luckily I had a windows 10 usb media hidden in a forgotten pocket of my bag (found my favorite pen too in the same pocket!) that i happened to remember and used that to get a win10 cmd prompt and fix the boot mgr bdc or something now i got that sweet sweet 40gb to fill with more poo poo from sharefile and other pain in the rear end development stuff :rock:

What's a pen?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you get 15 you become part of a club. Want to see the tattoo?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It leaves goop on your keyboard

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It leaves goop on your keyboard

Ah, "pen" is an abbreviation, got it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I had that fun experience of copying a user's data from his old laptop to his new one the other day, going into his Pictures folders and watching a few rows of thumbnails of rugged shirtless cowboys populate before deciding to switch to details view. Thanks goodness for remote desktop and not doing it with him over my shoulder.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PirateDentist posted:

Our 9 year old Cisco switch stacks started to develop... issues. POE disabling, not able to SSH into them... Just not providing network to certain ports... Turns out their uptime was 8.5 years, and so when powered off today, they did not turn back on.

This was planned for, so I spent the better part of 12 hours with the boss today moving about 600 network ports into new* switches in three different IDF closets. There are 4 other stacks that are the same age/uptime. :shepface: We do not have any more spares.

I guessing cap failure. Don't let your boss know, or you'll be tasked with soldering in new caps for all of them. I'd also glance at the power delivery for that stack, see if there were any events that might have come through and killed the switches.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Florida user forgot their login, ignored I.T.'s attempts to follow up on the ticket, nobody got background checked on a gun for a year

quote:

Infuriatingly, Wilde didn’t go through the proper channels to report the issue, choosing to send an email to the public email address for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s (FDLE) firearm purchasing program instead of directly contacting someone who could help. Her email was forwarded to the proper person, and she was informed the username she provided was wrong. Wilde was given the correct username, which hadn’t been used to login for more than a month, but still reported experiencing issues.

An employee at the FDLE told Wilde that he could help fix the problem, but she would have to contact him via phone call. He also reported trying to call Wilde but she didn’t pick up. Wilde never called and never followed up on the email, opting instead to just not conduct the background checks. This went on for more than a year until another employee finally realized the department hadn’t received a single denial from the FBI database for quite some time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PirateDentist posted:

What is your rack layout like? That strikes me as a very long time for that number of ports. Rack layouts vary and sometimes it's not possible but -- not to sound smug -- ours allows a switch replacement process for failed units that makes replacement of each 48-port switch only a few minutes per switch. If you're using chassis or your rack layout interlaces switches and patch panels that'll be hard to do.

Did all of the switches in all of these stacks refuse to power on? It's very unusual for that to happen all at once unless there was a big time power event. Do you have UPSes on these stacks? (If so, how old are these UPSes? I would expect to have to replace the units or at least the batteries after 5 to 7 years, but you said the uptime on these switches is past that.) You might want to schedule an ~annual switch reboot (reload at hh:mm dd month on Cisco IOS, as in reload at 23:00 30 june).

Getting more backup stock shouldn't take too long if the money is there, maybe a month or so from a reseller, but at 8 1/2 years of age I'd wonder if I should be looking at replacing with a newer model instead. Whatever you're using is probably approaching EOL if it's not there already.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Good luck Nerdrock. All kids are different. My first would wake up for an hour+ if you flushed the toilet or squeaked the floor. Multiple times a night every night for the first six months. My second has been sleeping through the night since day one other than feedings. You just don’t know what to expect.

Also you may need to sell your motorcycles anyway because your wife is going to want that space for strollers and wagons. Plus you will have zero free time to ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

guppy posted:

What is your rack layout like? That strikes me as a very long time for that number of ports. Rack layouts vary and sometimes it's not possible but -- not to sound smug -- ours allows a switch replacement process for failed units that makes replacement of each 48-port switch only a few minutes per switch. If you're using chassis or your rack layout interlaces switches and patch panels that'll be hard to do.

Did all of the switches in all of these stacks refuse to power on? It's very unusual for that to happen all at once unless there was a big time power event. Do you have UPSes on these stacks? (If so, how old are these UPSes? I would expect to have to replace the units or at least the batteries after 5 to 7 years, but you said the uptime on these switches is past that.) You might want to schedule an ~annual switch reboot (reload at hh:mm dd month on Cisco IOS, as in reload at 23:00 30 june).

Getting more backup stock shouldn't take too long if the money is there, maybe a month or so from a reseller, but at 8 1/2 years of age I'd wonder if I should be looking at replacing with a newer model instead. Whatever you're using is probably approaching EOL if it's not there already.

They're the only things in the IDF closets, they're 1U switches with a 1U gap between them with the panels in the racks to each side, so we interwove them to move ports easy. The actual racking and moving for everything with cleanup probably only took a couple hours max. But there was a lot of fuckery between closets since the idiots configuring them couldn't figure it out and there was a lot of powering off and on. Corporate controls the switches, not the local team. We don't know what the gently caress they were doing. Of the 15 switches, ( 5 per stack) 4 had no power ever come back, and 10 just sat there with one solitary green light and never did anything else. The last 1 seems to have survived. The whole building is on a UPS, that's well maintained at least. So no power events AFAIK. They were generally working until we reset them, and they just never came back. The network people were pretty sure they'd fail on reboot. They didn't tell us why they thought that, if it was just the age or if they'd seen this before.

Annual reboots will be part of the process with the replacements according to bossman. I've seen the quote for replacing our entire network infrastructure, everything shy of the cables. It's ALL EOL'ed. We have one advocate higher up that has been saying we really need to drop the coin to replace it, while everyone else that can approve that has that attitude of "Well, it's all still working isn't it? :downs:" So there'll be some conversations this week thanks to this event. :v: The last two years have involved a company merger and change of leadership, so there is a lot of poo poo that got put to one side. It's all above my pay grade, I just deal with the fallout.

EoRaptor posted:

I guessing cap failure. Don't let your boss know, or you'll be tasked with soldering in new caps for all of them.

Thankfully my boss isn't into loving around with repairs like that for something so critical.