Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

185.2, Romero has missed weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lol, Yoel has 3 minutes to cut .2lbs.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

185.2 apparently

e: drat you all of yous

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hah. Nevermind, he missed weight. No title bout, let's see if the fight goes at all.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

god loving damnit yoel.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I still think Bobby Knuckles is gonna get in there and gently caress him up.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

TheKingslayer posted:

I still think Bobby Knuckles is gonna get in there and gently caress him up.

Same friend

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hopefully the bout still happens, Whittaker now has nothing to lose and there's good money to be made.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Have to imagine that is it for Romero at 185

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Of course Yoel's gonna win now and make a mess of 185

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
he was talking the other day about moving up to fight The Fattest Dad, so yeah

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

In spite of being currently mad at him, I would watch Yoel at 205.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well my streak of every main event of every card I've gone to has been screwed up in someway continues.
This will make 3 cards and I can't wait to see how UFC 226 will get changed.

Still pumped for the card. Rest of it is still amazing.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 8, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bad luck for him that Illinois is using a 0.2 electronic scale. In states that use a mechanical scale or that use a 0.5 scale, they would have rounded down and certified his weight at 185.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Romero is a huge r-word and I will say that behind his back from the safety of a computer screen

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Rigel posted:

Bad luck for him that Illinois is using a 0.2 electronic scale. In states that use a mechanical scale or that use a 0.5 scale, they would have rounded down and certified his weight at 185.

Its supposed to be dead on for any title fight regardless of commission, isn't it? I know Nick Diaz tried to make a stink that they rounded down GSP's weight in Montreal for their fight but now that I write that out I realize it has little bearing on reality.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
yoels fat

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Even if Yoel wins Bobby Knuckles gets another six months to train while Yoel gets older and fatter for the rematch.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Scapegoat posted:

Even if Yoel wins Bobby Knuckles gets another six months to train while Yoel gets older and fatter for the rematch.

Unless he wrecks his knee again, because we can't have nice things

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Scapegoat posted:

I don't think Yoel is getting another title shot after these two misses.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I hope Bobby Knuckles milks this to get paid.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bluedeanie posted:

Its supposed to be dead on for any title fight regardless of commission, isn't it? I know Nick Diaz tried to make a stink that they rounded down GSP's weight in Montreal for their fight but now that I write that out I realize it has little bearing on reality.

Yes, but if you are using a scale that only displays .0 and .5, then it will probably round down.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I luh youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Meeseeeng weight

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I guess now the funniest outcome is for Yoel to win using his foundation of egregious cheating.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Man the modern nature of weight classes is such dumb trash

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I mean regardless of Yoel missing this is still a pretty sick card.

I'm really excited for Joe B vs Baby Pettis.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat that fuckin sucks

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man the modern nature of weight classes is such dumb trash

How so? Do you mean the gap between classes in MMA?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kaddish posted:

How so? Do you mean the gap between classes in MMA?

Nah just that modern medicine has gotten us to the point a fighter can weigh in over 20% less than he actually fights at, which has caused this arms race of dudes trying to get into lighter and lighter weight classes for their frames since it's a huge advantage.

Like he didn't fail to make 185 because he was fat or lazy, he failed because he had no business trying to force himself down that low

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Fuk the commission

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nah just that modern medicine has gotten us to the point a fighter can weigh in over 20% less than he actually fights at, which has caused this arms race of dudes trying to get into lighter and lighter weight classes for their frames since it's a huge advantage.

Like he didn't fail to make 185 because he was fat or lazy, he failed because he had no business trying to force himself down that low

hes both fat and lazy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If it's allowed, it's part of the sport.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
He coulda shaved his beard and his rear end in a top hat and been a world champ

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Nobody's disputing either of those things we are commenting on the results

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We very nearly got a card with no gently caress ups!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Weigh cutting is dumb, make the weight classes be at what weight you are at fight time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Well yeah that's why I said it's an arms race

As long as your opponent can do it you would be stupid not to also do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bobby Knuckles, the reigning champ, could fight at 170 but would rather have next to no cut to fight at 185.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

barkbell posted:

Fuk the commission

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1005156184603742208

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1005156848117444608

Didn't the same thing happen in New York recently? The doctor's were fine with the cut but commission overruled them. Which I don't understand why in a medical situation the doctor doesn't have say on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Didn't the same thing happen in New York recently? The doctor's were fine with the cut but commission overruled them. Which I don't understand why in a medical situation the doctor doesn't have say on it.

This particular instance sounds like the AC doctor said to halt the cut while Romero's doctor said everything was fine.

• Locked thread