Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

It’s true. He did an episode about South Louisiana, went to New Orleans and a Cajun boucherie, and he totally got it and treated everyone like people and not like a tourist gawking at the local wildlife. Also a great writer. Gonna miss the dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Is there some German word for "sad and angry and in pain at the same time"? Because right now I'm all "gently caress you St. Anthony, I gotta go in on my day off to do prep work in 45 minutes, but since I just found out you killed yourself, now I'm crying and my eyes be puffy as hell and I got a splitting headache to boot"

I can effort post later on the exact whys and hows if anyone cares, but suffice to say: the man was a big influence on my life, and this is hitting me hella hard.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
loving hell. Rest in peace Anthony Bourdain, we all loved you(aside from one dude upthread).

I imagine my kitchen ain't gonna be a happy place today. Bourdain was pretty loved and respected, my current chef got started after meeting him.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here, but screw that. I've dealt with suicides on a personal level, help is available if you need it. I loved the guy's writing, I enjoyed his shows, but if it was that bad he could have gotten help.

depression does not work that way.

when you say poo poo like that you sound like the rear end in a top hat who orders tuna tartare and sends it back because it’s undercooked

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I hear “he could have gotten help” and I hear someone who is shocked and angry and understands the mess a life leaves behind.

As someone who has stood on the edge of a roof wondering what asphalt tastes like at terminal velocity, may I humbly ask that you take ten minutes, go gently caress yourself, and reach out to someone you know with problems that don’t seem to get better.

Rest in Power, chef.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've been part of that mess more than once.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here, but screw that. I've dealt with suicides on a personal level, help is available if you need it. I loved the guy's writing, I enjoyed his shows, but if it was that bad he could have gotten help.

gently caress off forever

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Shooting Blanks posted:

I believe you, and you have my sympathies for your losses.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RIP man. Sucks.

"If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go."

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

so your lovely views on suicide are despite you having personal experience. good to know.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

So have I and that's still a colossally stupid and lovely attitude to take.

Anyway, all of my social media has just been lit up with it all day, former coworkers/colleagues/friends in the industry, etc. I didn't realize how many of them had hung out with him at some point or another, I just lived vicariously through his shows while I was still working as a line cook.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I think its possible to mourn a titanic figure in the industry and his passage through this veil of tears, and correct someone else's language towards such--itself almost certainly a result of deep trauma--without becoming excessively acrimonious, especially if that person is a thread regular who maybe said some bad poo poo in good faith. Nobody ITT isn't hosed up somehow. The nature of depression is such that it builds in people you thought were okay. Success doesn't help it.

Medications will change its affect

But it will still be there, and when people believe you when you say "I'm fine", it lends credence to that hateful awful loving certainty inside, that you will die before being able to let down your godawful paper mache facade so the rest of the world doesn't feel uncomfortable when it looks at you.

Anthony Bourdain is a partial one of a half dozen stupid and unsympathetic reasons I started my insanely dumbfuck journey into becoming relevant to this thread. I hope he found some peace at the end of all things. I hope he saved a slice of that peace for me when I get there--God send it's a while before we meet.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 9, 2018

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If I recall correctly, older male suicides are often related to receiving a disturbing diagnosis. I doubt a vibrant guy like that would choose to withstand withering away in pain. Pure speculation on my part, of course.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
or: today somebody we'd have looked to for strength made a choice to leave us, and that's enough to be going on with. no speculation needed. you don't need to rationalize this poo poo. feelings suffice, if you let them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hello friends, please remember that it's okay for this to bring up some pretty poo poo feelings and possibly questions. It's often pretty difficult in this industry to take time out for your own self-care, but try doing something relaxing today/tomorrow or even just be kinder to yourself

Hope people ITT are okay

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Recoome posted:

Hello friends, please remember that it's okay for this to bring up some pretty poo poo feelings and possibly questions. It's often pretty difficult in this industry to take time out for your own self-care, but try doing something relaxing today/tomorrow or even just be kinder to yourself

Hope people ITT are okay

This is A Good Post, thank you.

I'm kinda a hot mess right now because this is coming right on the heels of the anniversary of my mom's death. She shared my book/cooking fetish and was the one to recommend Kitchen Confidential to me when it first came out. We both eventually read all his books (yay libraries), and she also bought me the hardcover Les Halles cookbook for Xmas back when it came out. As it happens, when she was dying of cancer 500 miles away, some friends bought me a ticket to see Tony on a speaking tour as a birthday present. It was so bittersweet to hear her joy on the phone, knowing she'd never get to meet him, but yet so chuffed that I did.

...jesus loving hell. There's also my backstory of having a suicide attempt, but this poo poo's been painful enough, and I gotta be at work at 6am tomorrow.

I'm sorry for getting all e/n up in GWS, but as I said in my previous post, this poo poo's hitting me hard.

If the thread's up to it: to lighten the mood: PYF Bourdain Thing. Mine is that the Les Halles cookbook actually has "smoke a joint" as one of the recipe instructions. poo poo, think I'll do that now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stay strong JD, I just lost a close family friend so this on top of it has been pretty hard.

That being said I’m going to cope in the way Bourdain would have wanted, by traveling to a city I’ve never been to and trying as many restaurants as I can while I’m there.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
bourdain seemed like a swell guy. as someone who's two pleasures in life are basically traveling and eating while i travel he was pretty much my hero

his video on in-n-out always impressed me

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If the thread's up to it: to lighten the mood: PYF Bourdain Thing. Mine is that the Les Halles cookbook actually has "smoke a joint" as one of the recipe instructions. poo poo, think I'll do that now.

I loved watching the stupid intro to No Reservations when he skids across the ice at the end because you know he was MFing the director/producer the whole time for making him do something ridiculous.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

in the episode where he starts out at waffle house? i have a family story connected to that specific waffle house. (after petting a baby buffalo on the nose my uncle got taken to that waffle house).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The episode where he went to Mexico with Carlos Llaguno Garcia (who tragically died of cancer at 38 in 2015 which I found out looking up how to spell his name). When the whole town poured out and basically set up this royal reception, Bourdain so obviously uncomfortable at being put on this pedestal, while simultaneously showing an iron clad determination not to let it get in the way of everyone having a good time.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That was always something I really liked about him, he would be uncomfortable in a lot of social situations where people were making a big deal out of him being there but he would see how everyone was having a good time and just force himself to go with it. I admire that, I would have found a corner to hide in.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I always figured it was basically "if they want to throw me a party, then gently caress it, let's party!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

his video on in-n-out always impressed me

I haven't seen this one, but have a need to see it now.

My favorite Tony moments were the simple ones, like the famous Waffle House one. Or, I think he was visiting Vietnam. And just rolled up to some street noodle shop and got the hottest thing he could.

If anyone watches First We Feast, the YouTube channel that does the Hot Ones wings thing. I was just wondering if he'd been on the show. After watching the first episode of the new season, the one with Johnny Knoxville. That was Thursday, before the news came out. Rip Tony, we miss you.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

pseudosavior posted:

I always figured it was basically "if they want to throw me a party, then gently caress it, let's party!"

Once he got a buzz going yeah

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Recoome posted:

Hope people ITT are okay

This.

Bourdain hit me in the gut a bit, because reading his books is part of what got me -out- of the industry at a time when I was working like a dog for pocket change and spending my off time drunk.

If you're in that kind of place, please. Get help. There's no shame in it, and depression is one of those things where an outside perspective can really help because your own brain is lying to you.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That's funny, I was in the process of buying a restaraunt when I read his book and it made me not go through with it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i was joking with a good friend a few days back and said "now watch, between now and my therapy appointment there's gna be smtg hosed up that happens that breaks me down again"

when i got my first cooking gig and still sucked i read KC in like 3 nights and (despite being a completely basic cliche at this point to say aloud) it turned my frustration into inspiration

tony wasn't a hero to me, he was an idol. knowing the pain he must have felt on the daily is devastating in that unique way that you either relate to or don't understand at all

stay safe (or yr best approximation of it) industry goons

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Kitchen Confidential talked me both out of and into the industry.

When I was a little girl, I'd be up every Saturday morning making pancakes for my still-sleeping family while watching cartoons on the black & white 13" tv in the kitchen. loving loved it, it was my passion. My mom encouraged me, and we'd have fun coming up with the name of the restaurant I'd one day own.

Dropped that dream when I went to college, and really got into psychology. As it turns out, I liked learning about psych, but when it came time to intern, I found I just didn't have the chops to practice it. Meanwhile, mom had steadily supplied me with subscriptions to Cooks Illustrated and other books and mags, so all that time I was teaching myself how to cook now that I had a kitchen of my own.

Mom offered to send me to culinary school right around when KC came out. After reading it, I balked and said "nah, don't think that's the life for me." So I stuck with other jobs, most of which I hated. My depression led to drinking, which led to a DUI and some jail time. And I don't know how it rolls in other states, but here in VA, a DUI/jail time is basically a loving death sentence for trying to get a job. "Oh, you don't have a drivers license? You can't work at Petsmart, sorry. Thanks for coming into the interview."

...except in the industry. So that's how I became a dishwasher. I remembered the takeaway from KC that the industry is like the loving Mos Eisley of employment sectors. I also recalled that his advice was "if you really wanna learn, gently caress culinary school, be a dish bitch and work your way up". So I got that job at the Army DFAC washing 1200 plates/hr and cutting potatoes. After I moved, that experience got me other industry jobs, where I got to cook instead of just dish.

Already long story short, now I'm finally doing what 9 year old JD wanted to do, 35 years ago, and I make breakfast for people every morning. I made breakfast for the governor of Virginia, because that's how much we rock. And while I might piss and moan itt, this is the happiest I've been in a long time, career-wise.

Thank you Tony. Pass that joint to my mom, will ya?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I’ve never read KC, but I enjoyed his tv shows. He traveled and ate like my family raised me to. Ask questions, be curious, appreciative, and respectful. Go to the local spots the locals go to. He got to do things I dream of doing.

My favorite things coming out are the little stories people are sharing about their encounters with him. Sending a make-a-wish kid to Spain on a culinary tour. He seemed like a deep-down good person. And we need more people in the world like him.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I think the thing that is loving me up the most about Bourdain’s suicide is that I’d always held him up as a paragon of determination.

Like, how he decided (in Kitchen Confidential) in the taxi that it sure as gently caress wasn’t gonna be him that died due to being a junkie, and the fact he was never technically the best chef, he just epitomised to me this sheer grit, and a kind of wry amusement at how the world was, for good and bad.

Everything I’ve done has been a struggle, stopping drug and alcohol abuse, leaving kitchens at 28 and retraining to become a teacher, it’s always been a hard grind that I had to be crafty with, but in the back of my head I always thought “I’m gonna be the one that makes it out okay if I just keep pushing”, partly because of how I perceived one of my heroes.

And in the end he didn’t make it, and that’s a gently caress of an injustice.

Pardon my rambling.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Yeah, I can agree with that sentiment. Bourdain did all that he did, and just ended it out of nowhere? Strugglers don't generally just give up, I can only hope that he got some bad news and this was his last big "gently caress you" to a life well lived.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

quidditch it and quit it posted:

and the fact he was never technically the best chef

My entire feed was nothing but Fred Rogers and Tony Bourdain for two full days and the closeness of the anecdotes about them is striking. I'm not sure Bourdain was really a chef, for all people never stopped calling him that, he was more like the Mister Rogers of food. Someone who knew that the people who made the food were as important as the food itself, and that every food is the best food, and could convey that to everyone watching.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm not sure Bourdain was really a chef, for all people never stopped calling him that, he was more like the Mister Rogers of food. Someone who knew that the people who made the food were as important as the food itself, and that every food is the best food, and could convey that to everyone watching.

What? I mean if you want to get into semantics or existentialism that’s one thing, but he was demonstrably a chef for many years before moving on to his TV food celebrity career.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hauki posted:

What? I mean if you want to get into semantics or existentialism that’s one thing, but he was demonstrably a chef for many years before moving on to his TV food celebrity career.

I'm saying that's not really how he thought of himself, and he didn't want to be called a celebrity chef. He was absolutely a chef for many years, but that wasn't really who he was, which I suppose is a philosophical question, but it's one that he kind of answered while he was alive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm saying that's not really how he thought of himself, and he didn't want to be called a celebrity chef. He was absolutely a chef for many years, but that wasn't really who he was, which I suppose is a philosophical question, but it's one that he kind of answered while he was alive.

alright, fair enough

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I think that's pretty accurate. He kinda defined himself as an ex-chef. It was a thing he used to do, but if I remember the quote right, he considered being a chef to be a position. It's the head of a kitchen, not someone who knows how to cook, and if he wasn't running a kitchen he didn't really think of himself as a chef.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I think that's pretty accurate. He kinda defined himself as an ex-chef. It was a thing he used to do, but if I remember the quote right, he considered being a chef to be a position. It's the head of a kitchen, not someone who knows how to cook, and if he wasn't running a kitchen he didn't really think of himself as a chef.

Thats how I think about it but God drat is it exhausting to explain to people so I mostly just don't anymore.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same as well. I'd think a lot of us agree with that classical definition. And it's a pain in the rear end to explain every time. And I'm a hell of a pedant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Manuel Calavera posted:

Same as well. I'd think a lot of us agree with that classical definition. And it's a pain in the rear end to explain every time. And I'm a hell of a pedant.

It's technically correct, though -- the best kind of correct. Keep fighting the good fight.