Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ulio posted:

Ya 3 was a qte nightmare for no goddamn reason. They use qtes to make it more action oriented but who would have thought putting small cinematics in the middle of every single combo would ruin the action. Apparently they fixed a lot of the stuff in the Razor's Edge/definitive edition but I never got around to that version.

Also I read somewhere there is gonna be 2 From games at e3. I am guessing they are counting Metal Wolf Chaos. IF not I will go crazy if they reveal a new armored core.

uh actually its shadows die twice and Bloodborne: Pandemic, a multiplatform open world bloodborne action-MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nopantsjack posted:

Yes indeed, the felbrand taints the corrupted.
The lightsworn sunpilgrims travelled north and discovered the truth of the old words:
"The Blizzard wanes, and Metzen goes without a throne,"

Then, from the dark, they came,
Ion, dead eyed lord of spin.
Kotick, destroyer of worlds.
And Morhaime, the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten.

Nameless, accursed whale, unfit even to be a gamer. And so it is, that rube seeketh lootcrates.

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea
Accepting of all whales there are and can be

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bloodborne Battle Royale.

Yo guys where we droppin?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ulio posted:

Also I read somewhere there is gonna be 2 From games at e3. I am guessing they are counting Metal Wolf Chaos. IF not I will go crazy if they reveal a new armored core.

Armored Wolf Chaos

Orv
May 4, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Bloodborne Battle Royale.

Yo guys where we droppin?

You had to open your loving mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RsNS6-kQw

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Invaders taking over random monsters would be great. By far the best parts of RE6 were the stand your ground sections and you’d have to fight 2-3 players on top of the normal zombies.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Talking about Souls game. I am surprised there isn't a world tendency thing in any of their other games. Demon Souls basically punished you even more for sucking by making the game harder each time you died.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ulio posted:

Talking about Souls game. I am surprised there isn't a world tendency thing in any of their other games. Demon Souls basically punished you even more for sucking by making the game harder each time you died.

didn't a lot of people hate that mechanic? pretty sure most people just killed themselves in the nexus when they got their body form back so they wouldn't have to deal with that poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ulio posted:

Cause they recognized it sucked and no one ever engaged with it without just gaming it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh I found it useful. On darker tendency you would get higher drop rate if you wanted a rarer item.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

MWC stands for marvel wersus capcom.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone else think we're over due for a new dragon age

Orv
May 4, 2011
Eh.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

does anyone else think we're over due for a new dragon age

Is it never already?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Dragon Age 1 was a great game. DA2 was an okay game with a really meandering story that makes little to no sense when you think about it for more than 5 minutes. Also four maps reused a dozen times.

Man, EA hosed up Bioware so so badly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Dragon Age 1 was a great game. DA2 was an okay game with a really meandering story that makes little to no sense when you think about it for more than 5 minutes. Also four maps reused a dozen times.

Man, EA hosed up Bioware so so badly.

EA hosed up [insert any dev].

E; anyone remember westwood?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im just saying its been like four years since da:i i wouldn't be super surprised if we get a teaser or something this e3, though fantasy RPGs seem to be going through a bit of a rough patch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

to follow up my comment on TLOU, it wasn't a shitpost, I genuinely did not enjoy the game, and the gameplay for me was the worst part

The stealth was loving horrible, and scripted events would happen mid-stealth that force you into encounters, the guns don't feel very good, and you are led narratively from one repetitive game mechanic to the next. Oh boy the 10th time I need to help Ellie raft over to something. Whoa a high place if only there was a ladder five feet away from me!! Again and again and again

and Ellie not having any agency at the end of a story that is largely about her fuckin sucks, at least let her make the decision, even if you decide to have joel override it. if you consider the game to be primarily about joel, then the narrative maybe makes sense, but if you consider it to be primarily about ellie like i do, then the story turns heel on what they were building up to, with ellie gaining independence, becoming self-reliant and making her own choices. i would want to know how ellie would react if she was willing to sacrifice her life, knew she was gonna die, and joel said "NO YOU'RE MY NEW DAUGHTER"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 8, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

Aren't you playing as the good rightful president who has to take down the evil usurping vice president?

So Hillary Clinton?

Oh god no, not another Ninja Blade!

CottonWolf posted:

Suddenly there’s a glut. Sony might actually have two supernatural samurai games on stage...

Is Sucker Punches thing gritty? I thought it was grounded.

Oxxidation posted:

there's no dissonance between tlou's gameplay and its narrative beyond the fact that joel's forearm is apparently a fully automated tungsten-alloy prosthetic that can crush a throat to bone powder in seconds

I think they're talking how Ellie doesn't trip up your stealth mechanics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

and Ellie not having any agency at the end of a story that is largely about her fuckin sucks, at least let her make the decision, even if you decide to have joel override it. if you consider the game to be primarily about joel, then the narrative maybe makes sense, but if you consider it to be primarily about ellie like i do, then the story turns heel on what they were building up to, with ellie gaining independence, becoming self-reliant and making her own choices. i would want to know how ellie would react if she was willing to sacrifice her life and joel said "NO YOU'RE MY NEW DAUGHTER"

No poo poo, that's the whole point. Ellies quest that was started of her own volition to sacrifice herself because of what she's seen is ultimately undone by Joel's selfish love for her. The game puts you into a mindset wherein the player cannot let Ellie die, then immediately turns it around on us and calls us out for how horrifically selfish that idea is. It's not supposed to be a happy ending.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I didn't say I wanted a happy ending! I want a satisfying ending. I want an ending where she knows full well what he did, and he has to face that. but the gameplay was the real stinker for me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fulchrum posted:

No poo poo, that's the whole point. Ellies quest that was started of her own volition to sacrifice herself because of what she's seen is ultimately undone by Joel's selfish love for her. The game puts you into a mindset wherein the player cannot let Ellie die, then immediately turns it around on us and calls us out for how horrifically selfish that idea is. It's not supposed to be a happy ending.

It's also heavily suggested that it wouldn't accomplish anything as well, though that isn't the point.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I didn't say I wanted a happy ending! I want a satisfying ending. I want an ending where she knows full well what he did, and he has to face that.

Considering it's widely seen as the greatest ending to a videogame ever done, if you're calling it unsatisfying you might need to be a lot more specific.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Considering it's widely seen as the greatest ending to a videogame ever done, if you're calling it unsatisfying you might need to be a lot more specific.
If TLOU's ending is the greatest ending to a videogame then gaming has a long way to go as a medium

by the way the best ending is Strider 2014 because you surf on the final boss's dead body back to Earth

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the greatest video game ending of all time? That'd be super mario galaxy where mario looks to the skies and declares, via charles martinet, "hello new galaxy!"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Umm....source you are quotes

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

Snake Eater, Deak

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

If TLOU's ending is the greatest ending to a videogame then gaming has a long way to go as a medium

by the way the best ending is Strider 2014 because you surf on the final boss's dead body back to Earth

I'm sorry that TLOU didn't end with Ellie fighting a giant steampunk spider with her super zombie strength and a laser cannon.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's also heavily suggested that it wouldn't accomplish anything as well, though that isn't the point.

From what I remember from a lets play of it, it was basically just "Hey we got absolutely no idea still what this disease is or how it works, but since she is still alive, lets open her up and see if anything is different and play it by ear from there." It really sounded like Ellie's sacrifice wasn't a cure, but a shot in the dark.

Also seems weird they just jump right to "open her brain up" rather than ya know, biopsy some skin and blood first. But I could just be forgetting that part.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I didn't say I wanted a happy ending! I want a satisfying ending. I want an ending where she knows full well what he did, and he has to face that. but the gameplay was the real stinker for me

It's pretty strongly implied that she knows exactly what Joel did.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Besides UC4 probably has the greatest/most satisfying ending in video game history, that or RDR

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

I'm sorry that TLOU didn't end with Ellie fighting a giant steampunk spider with her super zombie strength and a laser cannon.
I state pretty clearly what I'd prefer from an ending, I dunno where you're getting the straw to make your strawman with

I also don't know that TLOU's ending being "the greatest" is a consensus thing. it's an interesting ending, the kind of "we'll leave this story with the characters at an uncertain crossroads" ending you see in TV sometimes, but I don't know that I'd call that "greatest"

I don't have, in my mind, a "greatest" ending because video games generally don't end the greatest. I remember loving Curse of Monkey Island and then getting a 5 second ending cutscene and going "w...what"

Actually, Monkey Island 2's ending might be up there as one of the greatest, as it's a perfect execution of what the game built up to. I also am a fan of how Deadly Premonition ends. The first season of Walking Dead's ending... Portal 2....

oh and the dog ending from Silent Hill 2 of course

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 8, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

homeless snail posted:

the greatest video game ending of all time? That'd be super mario galaxy where mario looks to the skies and declares, via charles martinet, "hello new galaxy!"

charles martinet is a treasure and possibly the only pure person on this cursed earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdIqTFgWRA

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This E3 is going to be suuuper boring.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

Snake Eater, Deak

You do remember that that ending still includes about ten minutes of EVA giving unskippable exposition about how she's a Chinese spy, that literally has no effect on anything else in the MGS universe, right?

I state pretty clearly what I'd prefer from an ending, I dunno where you're getting the straw to make your strawman with

Your example was Strider, because it involves doing some dumb power fantasy "awesome" thing. From your other examples, it has nothing to do with emotional connection, and everything to do with it being something random.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 8, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Lmao you're just the same guy on every guy forum, huh?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Broose posted:

From what I remember from a lets play of it, it was basically just "Hey we got absolutely no idea still what this disease is or how it works, but since she is still alive, lets open her up and see if anything is different and play it by ear from there." It really sounded like Ellie's sacrifice wasn't a cure, but a shot in the dark.

Also seems weird they just jump right to "open her brain up" rather than ya know, biopsy some skin and blood first. But I could just be forgetting that part.

yeah that's the biggest hole in the ending for me. They could have established that they ran a few other basic tests first but literally the only way they could find a cure is if they get at her brain bits, instead of immediately jumping to "lets open her up"

although maybe that was intentional to make the player more likely to go for what Joel was about to do

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You can find like those notes or whatever that suggest the Fireflies have been reduced to basically cultists and aren't in a right frame of mind.

Pollyanna posted:

This E3 is going to be suuuper boring.

Actually, it's so good,

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
e3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when will we get to e4