Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Leveling fairies requires food, which is far as I can tell is only a reward on certain maps (if you remember to breaks pots) or when you have a certain skill equipped. As such I hardly have any. After many hours my highest fairy on only level 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

SettingSun posted:

Leveling fairies requires food, which is far as I can tell is only a reward on certain maps (if you remember to breaks pots) or when you have a certain skill equipped. As such I hardly have any. After many hours my highest fairy on only level 9.

Once you unlock a food type it is also added to the drop pool of enemy officers, too

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Yeah the burst radius increases as the fairy gains levels. It seems like fairy kills dont count towards skill unlocks though :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SettingSun posted:

As far as I understand, when you see food as a reward on a map, it's a food unlock that's located in those brown pots in a specific keep. After you unlock a food, it can start dropping from captains like material or weapons. There's a bunch of different types of food, and each has bronze/silver/gold ranks, and I think ranks unlock separately because for awhile I was only getting bronze of one type before I did more missions with food unlocks. Each different food corresponds to an element and gives different stats, you need certain stats to unlock certain fairy abilities, and you can apparently tell what food matches your fairies element because they'll do a happy emote when you highlight it.

I imagine there's feeding guides on how to get the ideal abilities on the fairy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Once you unlock a food type it is also added to the drop pool of enemy officers, too

The might explain the recent surge of food I've been getting lately. Though I think I would prefer material drops over food tbh so the usefulness of this is dubious.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Even at level 1 they can kill enough dudes in a fort to make the boss appear (or get you nearly there). Can be useful in a pinch, or if you just want to be lazy for one fort.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rescuing people is such a pain since if I miss where they're yelling from it becomes a guessing game where they're at. That and it just interrupts the flow of what you're doing to run back, touch them and come back. Love the game otherwise though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Rescuing people is such a pain since if I miss where they're yelling from it becomes a guessing game where they're at. That and it just interrupts the flow of what you're doing to run back, touch them and come back. Love the game otherwise though.
If you go into the menu and find the previous messages, I'm pretty sure it'll show on the map where they come from.

The game seems to heavily rely on you pausing and looking through the menus every 10 seconds.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You can also just go to battlefield info through the menu and check where they are. It's really handy for other objectives that don't get highlighted as strongly on the map like recruiters and such.

I don't really like that you have to wait for them to get to the danger state so you can heal them - a few times I'll check in on someone calling for help, they're not low enough to be healed, I try to clear out some stuff, go back to something else that needs to done, only for them to start screaming for help again a short bit latter because I missed one lizafos or some poo poo.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So what am I missing about fighting Phantom Ganon? This is only the second time I've fought him and in legend mode, all four heroes were swarming him to the point that chip damage is what beat him without a single WPG showing up. This time I fought him solo. I did one light ball volley with him and then he sat around laughing at me for four minutes straight, which looked like an opportunity to do something to him. Eventually the timer got down to 3 minutes and I popped my Focus gauge. It looked like I was able to get around behind him and stun him to get the WPG to show up at one point? I thought I'd figure out how to fight him but I came away from that fight not knowing much more than when I went in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's a phase 1/2 deal. Phase 1 is orbs back into him and phase 2 you gotta punch him in the butt a few times when he starts laughing to make him fall down and WPG. Really make sure you're behind him because I think anything else will just cause him to reset into attacks. His laugh usually follows up one of his big attacks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Phantom Ganon Strats:

Phase 1: Dead Man's Volley (or beat back one of the dark barrage projectiles)

Phase 2: Attack his back consecutively. Like, three or four times. Bombs in their unpowered state can be used for this since it turns him around and deals multiple hits.

All of this, and due to the lightning balls being glitchy, makes him by far the most annoying Giant Boss to face this time around.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I only fought him the one time in story mode, but I have a hard time believing he's worse than manhandla. Extra people still actually help against him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chumbler posted:

I only fought him the one time in story mode, but I have a hard time believing he's worse than manhandla. Extra people still actually help against him.

Manhandla is easy as hell though?

Especially with 2+ people.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ah yeah easy as hell *sits around for five minutes while Manhandla uses only its berserk attack and poison attack*

Seriously the worst designed giant boss. Worse than the Imprisoned.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Ah yeah easy as hell *sits around for five minutes while Manhandla uses only its berserk attack and poison attack*

Seriously the worst designed giant boss. Worse than the Imprisoned.

Yeah it's this, not any actual difficulty. It will happily use any of its super long attacks repeatedly, and in the rare instances it uses one you can actually boomerang, an ally might gently caress it up.

Though I've also had dodongos that just paw the ground for minutes on end. After they removed the hard cap on weak point gauge damage the imprisoned may actually be the best one because you can at least always pop its toes. What a world.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh wait, in the original version of this game they always got up after a certain amount of damage, didn't they? That's what you mean by hard cap? I forgot about that. No wonder this version of he game seemed significantly easier.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Why does this game love making me fight Volga as Agitha... :negative:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Imprisoned still seems awful because it needs to flail around forever on the ground after every WPG, and hitting the toes without taking damage feels kind of annoying if you don't have the patience to bait out his ranged attack.

Manhandla rarely gives me problems, I've certainly had it spam the flail and poison attacks to an annoying degree, but more times then not it seems to cooperate.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I don't take manhandla down from 51%-0% in one smash it will often sit there doing attacks I can't react to for minutes on end. Also unlike other bosses it you can get unlucky and only take out some of its heads when it exposes itself, forcing you to wait even longer.

Is the Agitha 4+ weapon map remotely doable with a level 2 weapon and 30ish Agitha? It says level 2 but then a Lizalfos bopped me on the head for like 8 hearts with one attack.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I cannot recall ever having problems with getting Manhandalas to show its weak point gauge. I've actually had a few fights against them where I've only managed to stun one or two heads with the boomerang, and then when I was waiting for it to expose its remaining heads again to hit them... it would just inexplicably decide, "gently caress it" and sit down and open up its weak point gauge on its own without me having to do anything.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

If I don't take manhandla down from 51%-0% in one smash it will often sit there doing attacks I can't react to for minutes on end. Also unlike other bosses it you can get unlucky and only take out some of its heads when it exposes itself, forcing you to wait even longer.

Is the Agitha 4+ weapon map remotely doable with a level 2 weapon and 30ish Agitha? It says level 2 but then a Lizalfos bopped me on the head for like 8 hearts with one attack.

The level 2 just means it's the second in the series of missions with that type/name, it's not a strong indicator of difficulty. It's usually map tile colour that determines that, but that disappears once you unlock the tile/map section so it can be hard to tell. I think I gave that mission a pass at a similar power level because it felt like it would just be too much work / stuff wasn't dying fast enough.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

W.T. Fits posted:

I cannot recall ever having problems with getting Manhandalas to show its weak point gauge. I've actually had a few fights against them where I've only managed to stun one or two heads with the boomerang, and then when I was waiting for it to expose its remaining heads again to hit them... it would just inexplicably decide, "gently caress it" and sit down and open up its weak point gauge on its own without me having to do anything.

Manhandla will sometimes go down after only two or three heads, and this seems intentional. I think maybe it does a random roll any time you down one of his heads and stuns him if the roll succeeds, then just auto-stuns him if you get all four heads.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Is there a list of optimal combos to smash WPG?

Sheik can do the meteor, fire harp, dark-element kick. So that's what C3, C1, C5?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
So in split screen multiplayer, it seems to make P2 rejoin between each map. Is there a way around that? It's pretty annoying if P2 forgets to log in again and you have to back out of the battle overview screen.

Also, they don't seem to have a way to select their own character/weapon. P1 still has to do that.

If it matters, we were using 2 pro controllers. I guess I could experiment with the joy cons and see if they work any differently.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Manhandles always uses his seed attack and his uh... "please hit me" attack I don't know what it actually does. All four heads turn green and I just smack them. Never really had a problem with him. One time out of the dozens I've killed though it just spammed the rush and poison nonstop and was like yeah okay I get the annoyance now.

Pro-tip: Do not have any of your commanders set to help you with it. The bumrush and poison are the dedicated "GET OFF ME" attacks and while *you* aren't standing near it your AI is just slamming into it constantly causing it to spam them. It's a bit counter-intuitive to the gang up mechanic

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Manhandles always uses his seed attack and his uh... "please hit me" attack I don't know what it actually does. All four heads turn green and I just smack them.

If you don't hit them with the boomerang to stun them out of it, they shoot forward and do damage to you when they connect with you.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Manhandles always uses his seed attack and his uh... "please hit me" attack I don't know what it actually does. All four heads turn green and I just smack them. Never really had a problem with him. One time out of the dozens I've killed though it just spammed the rush and poison nonstop and was like yeah okay I get the annoyance now.

Pro-tip: Do not have any of your commanders set to help you with it. The bumrush and poison are the dedicated "GET OFF ME" attacks and while *you* aren't standing near it your AI is just slamming into it constantly causing it to spam them. It's a bit counter-intuitive to the gang up mechanic

Yeah I noticed the same thing with the commanders. If you want them to still be there for the bonuses, command them to stay on your position. They'll crowd around you not attacking Manhandla while you get the effects.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ImpactVector posted:

So in split screen multiplayer, it seems to make P2 rejoin between each map. Is there a way around that? It's pretty annoying if P2 forgets to log in again and you have to back out of the battle overview screen.

Also, they don't seem to have a way to select their own character/weapon. P1 still has to do that.

If it matters, we were using 2 pro controllers. I guess I could experiment with the joy cons and see if they work any differently.

From what I've played P2 can't forget to login pecause it's P1 who has to click the stick each time.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

From what I've played P2 can't forget to login pecause it's P1 who has to click the stick each time.
gently caress, you're right. Still annoying. :saddowns:

I guess at least it's just not me then.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So many videogames use Nausica style exploding beams these days it throws me off when Gohma's beams don't explode.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, Beamos do, at least.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of Beamos, one of the things that still annoys me about this game is how it prioritizes enemies in regards to the lock on button. I don't want to target the giant boss that's still 30 yards behind me, I want to target the stupid goddamn Beamos I'm standing right next to and was looking directly at when I hit the lock on button. :argh:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

That reminds me, which IP crossing over with the Warriors formula would you like to see next? I hope I get to see a crossover with Super Mario Bros. since there'd be a lot of cool elements that could be added to the Warriors gameplay and the HW and FEW games are pretty much the best, most high-quality ones I've played in this franchise.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Folt The Bolt posted:

That reminds me, which IP crossing over with the Warriors formula would you like to see next? I hope I get to see a crossover with Super Mario Bros. since there'd be a lot of cool elements that could be added to the Warriors gameplay and the HW and FEW games are pretty much the best, most high-quality ones I've played in this franchise.

Any and every Blizzard franchise.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Shin Megami Tensei?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of Beamos, one of the things that still annoys me about this game is how it prioritizes enemies in regards to the lock on button. I don't want to target the giant boss that's still 30 yards behind me, I want to target the stupid goddamn Beamos I'm standing right next to and was looking directly at when I hit the lock on button. :argh:

This is incredibly annoying in the "team up" missions when you have to kill an enemy that is constantly summoning new giant bosses and all you can target is the drat giant boss

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Everytime I hear one of the tracks KT did for the new Dissidia I think to myself that it should’ve just been Final Fantasy Warriors

Though my real obscure dream musou crossover would be Trails of Cold Steel. Like you wouldn’t even need a crossover plot, the games’ actual plots would adapt pretty well to a musou game. If anything it would probably be a general Trails of Warriors which I’m also okay with

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wait the bombchu can FIGHT? I was laughing when I saw "Bombchu is attacking Cucco Chick", but when I went to save it, the thing was chasing it around in the keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Rirse posted:

Wait the bombchu can FIGHT? I was laughing when I saw "Bombchu is attacking Cucco Chick", but when I went to save it, the thing was chasing it around in the keep.

What's hilariously worse is that it actually does decent damage too.