Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

iospace posted:

You mean there's a difference?

Don Cherry had a nice dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:tif:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

NASCAR pullin in them WWE ratings.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR pullin in them WWE ratings.

Them ratings got WWE a helluva lot of TV money though and their ad rates are a total joke, which is why I don't put much stock in the "NASCAR is dying" narrative.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Them ratings got WWE a helluva lot of TV money though and their ad rates are a total joke, which is why I don't put much stock in the "NASCAR is dying" narrative.

me not too long ago

Peanut President posted:

Unrelated WWE just got loving paid and wrestling is tv poison so NASCAR is gonna actually get a better deal next time book it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

:tipshat:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's the thing, NASCAR appeals mostly (I SAID MOSTLY) to MAGA chuds. With any luck by the time the TV deal is up, they're gone or in hiding. Sooooooooo I'm not too certain NASCAR can survive.

Wrestling doesn't try to appeal to the lowe- *aide rushes in, holds up Royal Rumble poster* never mind.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 9, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
WWE has far more competent leadership and better attendance

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wwe has better plotlines

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

iospace posted:

Here's the thing, NASCAR appeals mostly (I SAID MOSTLY) to MAGA chuds. With any luck by the time the TV deal is up, they're gone or in hiding. Sooooooooo I'm not too certain NASCAR can survive.

Wrestling doesn't try to appeal to the lowe- *aide rushes in, holds up Royal Rumble poster* never mind.

If we're being honest here, and anyone who cares to should feel free to disagree with me, but the folks itt are not NASCAR's core audience. They should probably try to chase fans like us off and re- attract those guys :eng99:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Forget the NFL, NASCAR'S real competitors are all twitch streamers.

Motorsports is a nerd pursuit and stock cars aren't even arguably in the neighborhood of cutting edge tech anymore. It's not a coincidence that every mechanical engineer I know follows Formula E religiously.

Keslowski was right.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 9, 2018

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I don't know a single person who watches formula e

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

I do :smith: if I know it's on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hey spencer is back

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm beginning to wonder if, for all the talk we've had about Allen Bestwick hopefully going to NBC, that there may not be some thought of him maybe going to Fox someday. It didn't dawn on me until today, but Mike Joy is almost 70.

Norns posted:

I did but I've grown bored with it.

They're not devoid of their NASCAR gimmicks either. Fan Boost.

E- I need a GIF of Danny Stockman angrily exhaling his vape at what will probably be the last caution in the NXS race.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 9, 2018

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mmmmmmm the delicious taste of victory robot cock.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Please don't vapeshame tia

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Watching Trucks from last night on DVR and, between Bo LeMastus turning across Norm Benning's nose and wrecking himself, Myatt Snider turning across Dalton Sargeant's nose and wrecking himself and JJ Cobb, and FS1 being completely oblivious to a spin at the back of the field on the GWC, it's all just :psyduck:.

That was also the Rattlesnake 400, which is a very EA fictional track race name.

mischief posted:

Mmmmmmm the delicious taste of victory robot cock.

Ah, there it is. :hfive:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

400k! Not miles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Couple things:

One of the nice things was Indy was standalone last night, so it probably got a bit more eyeballs than normal from US racing fans. A nominally NASCAR friend of mine sent me this:

https://twitter.com/MattWeaverAW/status/1005647593651793921

I honestly think Trucks should be, if it's a support race (for the main series anyway), 1:20 long. XFS 1:40, and main series, minus big races, 2 hours. The length of the races is half the problem. Stages are a band-aid for it by making the middle of the races at least worth something, but it's largely been "strategy has changed, that's it".

Also, regarding the race today:
https://twitter.com/RaceWeather/status/1005807260055015425

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Please don't vapeshame tia

No matter what changes in society you'll always be horking cyber dong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/RaceWeather/status/1005849962347941888

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bad news:
https://twitter.com/NASCAR_WXMAN/status/1005866563398848512

Good news:
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1005868636295266307

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I don't see this race starting until tomorrow, maybe Tuesday.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I don't see this race starting until tomorrow, maybe Tuesday.

Same, it's very wet here in Milwaukee.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Erik Jones rockin' that Stenhouse mullet

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh good Monday or Tuesday race would be bitchin.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Well, they're running.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Well, they're running.

Aaaaaand it's gone.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Well, they're running.

Then you better go catch it!

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Didn't get to watch the race, but listened to it on MRN. Sounded like a pretty entertaining race- how was it on TV?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
It wasn't then it was pretty alright and then it wasn't again and then it was over.

But hey, Clint Bowyer. I guess that's okay.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Yes there were periods of decent racing. Everyone was feeling the impending weather and running hard, as well as taking 2 tires here and there, gambling on fuel here and there, and generally making the race a little more interesting. A good steal by Bowyer driving hard to stay ahead of the 4 and good on the 14 team for making the 2 tire call. I don't know how many more times NASCAR can watch what is typically a boring, strung out, snooze of a race become interesting when 100 miles is cut off of it and not just cut 100 miles off almost every race on the schedule.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Couple things:

One of the nice things was Indy was standalone last night, so it probably got a bit more eyeballs than normal from US racing fans. A nominally NASCAR friend of mine sent me this:

https://twitter.com/MattWeaverAW/status/1005647593651793921

I honestly think Trucks should be, if it's a support race (for the main series anyway), 1:20 long. XFS 1:40, and main series, minus big races, 2 hours. The length of the races is half the problem. Stages are a band-aid for it by making the middle of the races at least worth something, but it's largely been "strategy has changed, that's it".

The problem for NASCAR - and a problem IndyCar faces sometimes - is filling up a day with running on-track at ovals. Only a couple of the ICS support series also run on ovals, which means three-day race weekends feel too long; there’s too much dead time. NASCAR might fill up the Friday and Saturday well if all three series are there, but without, it gets tricky. Which is why I think they compensate with long races for the live crowd.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

harperdc posted:

The problem for NASCAR - and a problem IndyCar faces sometimes - is filling up a day with running on-track at ovals. Only a couple of the ICS support series also run on ovals, which means three-day race weekends feel too long; there’s too much dead time. NASCAR might fill up the Friday and Saturday well if all three series are there, but without, it gets tricky. Which is why I think they compensate with long races for the live crowd.

This is been the real problem with oval attendance, IMO. When NASCAR and Indycar were The poo poo you could get away with having one race on one day but that's not the case anymore. Indycar and the MRTI can have a full slate of day/night racing over two days at a track like Texas, especially with SST/Trucks being there:

Friday morning: All series practice/qualify
Friday afternoon: USF2000/PM Race 1 on the 1/5-mile infield oval
Friday night: NASCAR Trucks race

Saturday morning: More practice
Saturday afternoon: SST Race 1, USF2000/PM Race 2 on the infield, Indy Lights race on the big oval
Saturday night: Indycar race, SST Race 2

I would travel for a lineup like that.

ed- Thought I was in the Indycar thread. If you want to do this with NASCAR, you have ARCA and the regional series to add to the mix on the short tracks and 1-mile ovals. Plenty of 1.5ers have the infield oval and should use those for midgets/legends races when appropriate. Add monster trucks or jet car exhibitions like at local short tracks. Give people value for their money and (most importantly) time and you'll keep more butts in seats.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 11, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

This is been the real problem with oval attendance, IMO. When NASCAR and Indycar were The poo poo you could get away with having one race on one day but that's not the case anymore. Indycar and the MRTI can have a full slate of day/night racing over two days at a track like Texas, especially with SST/Trucks being there:

Friday morning: All series practice/qualify
Friday afternoon: USF2000/PM Race 1 on the 1/5-mile infield oval
Friday night: NASCAR Trucks race

Saturday morning: More practice
Saturday afternoon: SST Race 1, USF2000/PM Race 2 on the infield, Indy Lights race on the big oval
Saturday night: Indycar race, SST Race 2

I would travel for a lineup like that.

And that's half the problem with NASCAR. At Road America, we get the full MRTI ladder (6 races), PWC (2-4 races), and Spec Miata (1-2 races), plus all the practice and qualifying. It's a 4 day event with racing all day.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A certain official research group of NASCAR sent out a survey about Buschwhacking and also asked why I don't watch Xfinity. I politely reminded them that they're about 10 years too late as the series was turbofucked then, but then suggested they don't run as many cookie cutters where Kyle bulldozes the field.

I can't wait to see how badly they bungle whatever might result.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

A certain official research group of NASCAR sent out a survey about Buschwhacking and also asked why I don't watch Xfinity. I politely reminded them that they're about 10 years too late as the series was turbofucked then, but then suggested they don't run as many cookie cutters where Kyle bulldozes the field.

What's that? You said you want 10 minute caution clocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

"DO YOU LIKE THE NUMBER OF COOKIE CUTTER TRACKS WE RUN?"
>No
"you heard em boys, MORE COOKIE CUTTERS"