Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So what was up with the jewelry/piercings on the dude (lieutenant?) who was dying at the end? I feel like I missed a scene or something.

it's left unexplained in the show. in real life, i think it's from a story one of the indigenous people told the explorers who came looking for franklin? he said that they found a british corpse all dressed up as such. by and large i think i am happy to put it down to "horrifying insanity from fatigue, starvation and lead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ah, yeah I figured it was just from going nuts but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to signify anything else since it was just really weird.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So what was up with the jewelry/piercings on the dude (lieutenant?) who was dying at the end? I feel like I missed a scene or something.

That dude got way artistic with his body modification.

It was foreshadowed in an earlier scene between Lt. Goldmember and Captain Crozier, where they were joking about how the men deserved gold medals and every gold thing there is if they made it back home. Towards the end the lieutenant took that very seriously.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

etalian posted:

Well you didn't need more complex causes given how the men were on a starvation diet while having to haul 4000 pound sledges by hand.

It also didn't help that they had no accurate maps of the region and Franklin had picked the east side of Prince William island he would have avoided getting icelocked. The western channel by comparison attracts massive amounts of ice part due to Arctic wind patterns.

Doesn't really explain how the RIP Franklin note had the wrong year. Why the huge officer death count in said note. Why a boat was found filled with 40 pounds of chocolate and two skeletons. Why they had 3 years worth of food but were starving to death in year 3. Why those 4000 pound sledges had a fuckton of books and other random poo poo in them. Why they resorted to cannibalism instead of eating seal meat in that innuit story. Why they splintered up so hard.

These are off the top of my head and im no expert on the expedition.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Those Inuit histories of their encounters are chilling! Great read!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Despera posted:

Doesn't really explain how the RIP Franklin note had the wrong year. Why the huge officer death count in said note. Why a boat was found filled with 40 pounds of chocolate and two skeletons. Why they had 3 years worth of food but were starving to death in year 3. Why those 4000 pound sledges had a fuckton of books and other random poo poo in them. Why they resorted to cannibalism instead of eating seal meat in that innuit story. Why they splintered up so hard.

These are off the top of my head and im no expert on the expedition.

Scurvy can be an explanation for all of that. Heck, even now there’s some doctors stressing that if a patient shows up with new, unexplained emotional/mental problems, doctors should run a blood panel to look at vitamin c levels and see if there’s a deficiency. That part can show up before you hit full-blown scurvy.

And since scurvy and high lead concentration teamed up on these guys, along with starvation diet, no wonder they all went weird.

As for the high officer death count, could have just been coincidence, lousy weather, etc.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 1, 2018

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Scurvy can be an explanation for all of that. Heck, even now there’s some doctors stressing that if a patient shows up with new, unexplained emotional/mental problems, doctors should run a blood panel to look at vitamin c levels and see if there’s a deficiency. That part can show up before you hit full-blown scurvy.

And since scurvy and high lead concentration teamed up on these guys, along with starvation diet, no wonder they all went weird.

As for the high officer death count, could have just been coincidence, lousy weather, etc.

I read somewhere that the lead line water tanks might have hit the officers harder since, as officers you'd demand fresh baked bread and not hardtack.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Those Inuit histories of their encounters are chilling! Great read!

In a related note Inuit history Louie Kamookak passed away this year.

He worked to interview inuit families on Franklin expedition stories passed down as oral history.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/29/inuit-oral-historian-who-pointed-way-to-franklin-shipwrecks-dies-aged-58

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

etalian posted:

In a related note Inuit history Louie Kamookak passed away this year.

He worked to interview inuit families on Franklin expedition stories passed down as oral history.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/29/inuit-oral-historian-who-pointed-way-to-franklin-shipwrecks-dies-aged-58

Oh wow, that’s sad. It’s also such a bummer that a lot that could have possibly been explained about the Franklin expedition, at least once they left the ships/got to the death march part is that the Inuit were basically ignored out of hand, except for the really lurid bits of ‘they ate each other’.

David Woodman wrote two books in the 90s Unravelling the Franklin Mystery: Inuit Testimony and Strangers Among Us.

Some bits from an in-depth review of Strangers, which based on Inuit testimony collected, suggests that it probably wasn’t just all of the crew leaving at once or that Crozier and Fitzjames were just scurvy-addled morons by that point to make such a decision.

quote:

He believes that the goal of reaching the Fish River was more likely to hunt the game which was reported to be abundant in the area, or to contact the Inuit who were known to congregate there. He argues that one or both of Franklin's ships were later re-manned; one almost certainly was, as it was discovered by a coastal band of Inuit anchored off an island far to the south in Queen Maud Gulf. Furthermore, while those who remained on King William Island eventually starved to death (not before resorting to cannibalism, an Inuit observation verified by recent forensic evidence), the crew of the surviving ship evidently remained through an additional winter (the Inuit reported that the ship was housed-in as for winter quarters, and its gang-plank was lowered), and some number of survivors left her and made one final attempt to reach a British outpost.

quote:

There are also a number of instances where the behavior of these strangers seems strange indeed, such as when they deliberately scared away some Inuit boys -- hardly a coherent act for desperate survivors. Still, some evidence, such as tales of sign-posts with pointing hands (a known trademark of other Franklin camps) found along the land route eastward of the Fish River, admit of no alternate explanation; whatever else can be said, it's clear that the whole story of Franklin survivors cannot be reconciled with the previously accepted tale of a single abandonment followed by a single drive south to the Fish River, much less an ascent of it.

quote:

Woodman's final case -- and his strongest -- is for a small party of three or four men who were said to have spent a season with a Netsilik hunter named Too-shoo-art-thariu. These survivors arrived in the spring, and stayed through the summer and possibly even the winter following, eventually heading south towards the Hudson's Bay post at Fort Churchill. One of these survivors was indeed said to be named "Aglooka" -- which was Captain Crozier's Inuit name, acquired through name-exchange many years previous when he was a young midshipman with Parry's expedition. Unfortunately, many white explorers were also known as "Aglooka," and so the precise identity of this man would be almost impossible to determine, were it not for two strong pieces of corroborative evidence. Firstly, this man told his Inuit hosts that he had been with Parry at Igloolik, a fact they could not have otherwise learned; Crozier was in fact the only Franklin Expedition member who had. Secondly, another young Inuk, apparently a son of Too-shoo-art-thariu, told almost the same story to a whaling captain many years later, and another whaling captain down in Hudson's Bay heard that Aglooka/Crozier had made it as far as Chesterfield Inlet.

Whether or not this survivor was in fact Crozier -- which Woodman, who believes that Inuit stories of the death of a captain earlier in the expedition concern Crozier, thinks he was not -- his story is one that cannot easily be brushed aside. He was certainly not an Etkerlin, and his circumstances and travels do not correspond with either of Dr. Rae's visits to the area. He evidently wore an officer's uniform, and among his gifts to his hosts was a naval sword -- neither of which could apply to Rae. This "Aglooka," in fact gave 'nearly everything he had' to Too-shoo-art-thariu before departing with a Netsilik guide and a companion said to be a servant or steward, for the overland route to Chesterfield Inlet. The Qairnirmiut of Wager Bay, through whose country he would have passed, reported his presence there to their contacts among the Netsilik, whom Hall later interviewed. Finally, a certain Captain Fisher of the whaler Ansel Gibbs reported to Hall that he had heard that this stranger had starved or possibly been killed after he arrived, though the evidence (and possibly the translation) was sketchy.

Sorry for the long bits, but all of the Inuit testimony fascinates me because it goes against a lot of what has been speculated previously, and had mostly been shrugged off in the 1860s. I wonder, despite the strong oral tradition among the Inuits, how much information has been lost.

Since their were rumored sightings of Crozier and ‘a steward’ (yay! He saved Jopson after all! :swoon:) in the mid to late 1850s, then maybe, say, Crozier and some crew doubled back to a ship and wintered there, while Fitzjames’s crew pushed on hunting for game and looking to come across Inuit groups.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 1, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I kind of dislike the end of the show due to them pretty much tossing out all of the (holy poo poo the amount of) research that Simmons did for the book. Handwaving Silence's leaving because ~made-up eskimo reason~ was so not what the end of the book was about. Kind of reminds me of the end of Dune the book compared to Dune the movie.

"It Rains" :psyduck:

I guess the show producers realized that to finish as the book did it would take a couple more episodes.
So we got "we kicked her out. It's our way" :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh wow, that’s sad. It’s also such a bummer that a lot that could have possibly been explained about the Franklin expedition, at least once they left the ships/got to the death march part is that the Inuit were basically ignored out of hand, except for the really lurid bits of ‘they ate each other’.

Well figuring out what happened is challenging since following expeditions only found a single note in a cairn that explained he current status. It is pretty amazing how the Inuit oral histories were so accurate all the way down to helping locate the wrecks of the Erebus.

The horror story of the Batavia by comparison had multiple primary sources since many of the survivors kept detailed diaries recording all the events that occurred in the disaster.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

I kind of dislike the end of the show due to them pretty much tossing out all of the (holy poo poo the amount of) research that Simmons did for the book. Handwaving Silence's leaving because ~made-up eskimo reason~ was so not what the end of the book was about. Kind of reminds me of the end of Dune the book compared to Dune the movie.

"It Rains" :psyduck:

I guess the show producers realized that to finish as the book did it would take a couple more episodes.
So we got "we kicked her out. It's our way" :shrug:

Honestly I thought the show declined in quality from one episode to the next and the ending was pretty bad. The book ending is much better, in my opinion.

That said, the show was good when it was good. I paid for the whole season, despite saying I would wait, after watching the first couple episodes for free on the AMC website.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I thought the show declined in quality from one episode to the next and the ending was pretty bad. The book ending is much better, in my opinion.

That said, the show was good when it was good. I paid for the whole season, despite saying I would wait, after watching the first couple episodes for free on the AMC website.

If I had not read the book as I watched I may feel differently. The show ending was just jarring compared to the book. Having read the book I can understand Crozier's POV at the end when he keeps his identity secret. But the show alone just goes from "we booted Silence" to him sitting on the ice with a harpoon and some other eskimo woman/kids and doesn't actually explain it, like at all.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

etalian posted:

Well figuring out what happened is challenging since following expeditions only found a single note in a cairn that explained he current status. It is pretty amazing how the Inuit oral histories were so accurate all the way down to helping locate the wrecks of the Erebus.

The horror story of the Batavia by comparison had multiple primary sources since many of the survivors kept detailed diaries recording all the events that occurred in the disaster.

Back in the early days of trying to figure out what happened/finding the remains of the parties, Thomas Barry, in 1872, had interviewed some Inuit and he reported:

quote:

They said nothing about valuables being put in the cairn or cache; only the books- putting their hands upon the journals in my cabin. They said the books the white men put in the cache were of no value to them, the Netchelli, and they did nothing about them, and they were still there.

There was dispute about that story, most figuring the interviewees were referring to a cairn that Rae (a Franklin searcher) erected during his work, since they couldn’t count the number of years ‘on their fingers’ and their responses translated to ‘long time ago’ and ‘a great many winters past [since seeing white men other than Barry and Potter]’ and that the pidgin Inuktitut used in the interview was pooh-poohed for its accuracy.

I’m wondering how much potential info was lost for not checking that out.

Aside from the RIP Franklin paper, about all they’ve got in found writings to this day is the ‘Peglar Papers’ (excerpts of which the titles ‘Terror Camp Clear’ and ‘The C, The C, The Open C’ came from), which was found with a skeleton searchers figured to be Armitage.

E: Yeah the Batavia was creepy as Hell too

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 2, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I actually like the show ending and agree with the showrunners thought process:

Basically, having her marry Crozier at the end doesn't pass the Bechdel Test and Silence needed her own arc. In the same way that Crozier can never go back to England after losing the expedition, Silence can never return to her people after losing Tunnbaaq. Also, Crozier living happily ever after as an outsider felt untrue: having him survive but only subsist seemed more honest to how it would have been for him.

edit - found the quote:

quote:

David and Soo, tell me about ending a show like this. There is the historical record ending, and there is the Dan Simmons book ending. But the ending of this series is all you guys. How did it come to be, and why?

DK: We knew what thematic endgame we had in mind. So in the writers' room, when it came time to talk about these 15 minutes of story after the final Tuunbaq attack, we knew several things. One is that Lady Silence was going to be asked by her community to pay a very, very tough bill for what these Europeans have initiated. And so we needed that piece of business.

We knew that, like the book, Crozier was not going to want to return to England because he had not been able to save any of his men and understood that everything that had happened up until then was now going to be amplified by this. We know that we wanted to avoid the A Man Called Horse ending where the white man joins the natives and becomes their leader, which is the trope. We did not want that in the least. In fact, the biggest difference between a film like that and the way we end our story is, Crozier's facing a very difficult life. His decision to stay is not going to spell anything but hard, hard work for him, and being the outsider. And that is really important.

To emphasize that, I remember in the writers' room, Soo, you were the one who came up with this idea of just seeing him sitting quietly at a seal hole, waiting to try and be of use to this community, and its survival. And it would be a very ambiguous image in the sense that Crozier's clearly making some judgments, but we're not prompting the audience on what all of those are. We get a pretty good sense of how he's feeling about things. But that image, just drawing it out and leaving him alone on the ice… Soo, when that hit you in the writers' room, what were you thinking about? Because it’s the perfect ending of the show.

SH: What we loved about this ending is that it mirrors back visually. There's a conversation that feels like it came full circle from the pilot episode. As we pull out from the two ships being stuck, in some ways, when we pull out from the last shot of Crozier, it hearkens that same emotion you had in the pilot, which is, everything becomes part of the landscape in the end. All of us are going to be beholden to what this environment determines for us. And by this point in our story, Crozier had earned at least some of that calm and peace in some ways.

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 2, 2018

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Theres too many unexplained things for scurvy to be the answer. Also they had 8000 tins with vegetables and meat so if they did all succumb to scurvy thats just another mystery. 9/24 to 15/110 is not a coincidence.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

etalian posted:

All our knowledge of the Batavia mutiny is basically Paelsarts testimony taken from probably tortured mutineers. There were not many publishing houses over their in indonesia. Pretty much everyone involved with the mutiny died thousands of miles away with their accounts unrecorded. The hero of the story for instance, Webbe Hayes who saved all the survivors lives.... we dont even know what the gently caress happened to him.

The mutiny was only a couple months anyway and yes we know much more about it because of Paelstarts records than the years spent on and around King William Island.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Silence can never return to her people after losing Tunnbaaq.

But see, this is precisely the gobbledygook that veered away from what Tuunbaq actually was. If anything, the death of book Tuunbaq would have been celebrated by the eskimos. Again, had I not read the book, the show ending would have been a decent ending. But the way the show ended pretty much seems like the show producers really did not understand what (book) Tuunbaq actually was to the eskimo people and just wanted a quick ending to the series.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 2, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

But see, this is precisely the gobbledygook that veered away from what Tuunbaq actually was. If anything, the death of book Tuunbaq would have been celebrated by the eskimos. Again, had I not read the book, the show ending would have been a decent ending. But the way the show ended pretty much seems like the show producers really did not understand what (book) Tuunbaq actually was to the eskimo people and just wanted a quick ending to the series.

You would think they would be glad to be rid of their man-bear incel thanks to heroes like Mr Blanky

Moltke
May 13, 2009
One of the Terror documentaries on youtube puts forth the theory that the high officer death count early in the expedition was due to botulism.

The idea is that, while frozen in the pack, a hunting party killed something, with Franklin and the rest of the senior staff naturally calling dibs on the fresh meat. The meat was improperly stored (possibly over the winter), and so Franklin was vomiting and making GBS threads himself before eventually expiring from respiratory failure. This wouldn't make for a very sexy story back home, so Crozier and Fitzsimmons didn't record the details.

Can't remember if there is an actual basis for the theory or if it's just speculation, but the documentaries on youtube about this are great.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The scene where Bridgens tells the story of the March of the Ten Thousand is one of my favorite TV scenes in recent memory. It's absolutely incredible

Also Hickey lapsing into an Irish accent on the gallows is great

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A professor of dentistry was inspecting some of the skeletal teeth and put forward that Addison’s disease could have offed a number of the crew, relating to the scurvy/lead/botulism.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170814121049.htm

quote:

The Schwatka expedition (1878–80) documented that several Inuit families had observed sailors of the Franklin expedition dragging ship’s boats in Washington Bay on the southwest coast of King William Island, Nunavut, Canada. The Inuit reported that the men appeared thin and the mouths of some of them were hard, dry, and black. Many Franklin scholars believe from this description that the surviving crews were suffering from scurvy and possibly lead poisoning.

Armed with these scant clues, Taichman decided to investigate the prevailing cause-of-death theories, and study how each condition may have affected the sailors’ oral cavities. With the help of University of Michigan librarian Mark MacEachern, Taichman cross-referenced the crew’s physical symptoms with known diseases and analyzed over 1,700 medical citations. To his surprise, Addison’s disease kept popping up during the analysis.

“In the old days, the most common reason for Addison’s in this country was TB,” noted Taichman in a press release. “In this country now, it’s immune suppression that leads to Addison’s.”

People suffering from Addison’s have trouble regulating sodium, so they get dehydrated easily. The disease also makes it difficult to maintain weight, even when food is available. Together, these two symptoms, argues Taichman, helps to explain the wasting condition of the crew, and particularly their oral cavities, as documented by indigenous peoples.

Scurvy, a deficiency of vitamin C, was definitely also problem for the doomed crew members, but Taichman says this disease couldn’t possibly be responsible for all the deaths. Lead poisoning—confirmed by an analysis of recovered bones—may have come from lead solder used for the cans and from lead pipes that distilled water for the crew.

“Scurvy and lead exposure may have contributed to the pathogenesis of Addison’s disease, but the hypothesis is not wholly dependent on these conditions,” Taichman said. “The tuberculosis-Addison’s hypothesis results in a deeper understanding of one of the greatest mysteries of Arctic exploration.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another article on late Inuit historian Louie Kamookak

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-louie-kamookak-58-teacher-and-inuit-historian-was-the-last-great/

quote:

Louie Iriniq Kamookak was born on Aug. 26, 1959, during a famine at a seal-hunting camp on the Boothia Peninsula near Taloyoak, formerly known as Spence Bay. He was the second oldest in a large family belonging to George Kamookak, an Inuit hunter, and his wife, Mary. After Louie’s birth his mother was so starved she couldn’t produce breast milk. His first meals were mashed raw seal blubber.

Trained in survival skills from an early age, Louie accompanied his father and grandfather on hunting and fishing trips across the tundra. When Louie was 7, his father took him to see the skeleton of one of the early fur traders, a ne’er-do-well named Russian Mike. Mike, it seemed, had done a lot of fighting and drinking and gotten himself in trouble. The story was that he’d shot his dogs and then himself. Even though most Inuit dislike being around dead bodies, young Louie forced himself to take a good look at Russian Mike’s skull. He observed that the bullet had entered from the top, rather than the bottom indicating murder rather than suicide. An amateur forensic sleuth was in the making.

Formal education began for Louie in late childhood when he went to school for the first time. At 12, a teacher’s lesson about the Franklin expedition sparked a Eureka moment. Louie’s great-grandmother had told him a story about travelling with her family to the north shore of King William Island to cut wood when she was a girl of 6 or 7. On top of a ridge they found strange objects such as forks and spoons but didn’t know what they were. Farther down, a long rope trailed into the bay. When the teacher said some of Franklin’s men died on the land, his great grandmother’s story clicked into place. Louis had long wanted to visit the area. Now there was even more reason to go. He wanted to link the past to the present.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Thoroughly enjoying this chat. As an aside, I'm currently in Hobart and I visited the tiny Maritime Museum today where they have Franklin's pistols, which he left with his wife when he returned to England in 1843. I must admit none of this would have been of interest to me had I not watched the TV show, but it's cool to unexpectedly see real life connections like this.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
also i would really encourage everyone to watch the "Inside the Terror" special features through AMC streaming on every episode. gives you great insights from both the actors and the production crew.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Moltke posted:

One of the Terror documentaries on youtube puts forth the theory that the high officer death count early in the expedition was due to botulism.

The idea is that, while frozen in the pack, a hunting party killed something, with Franklin and the rest of the senior staff naturally calling dibs on the fresh meat. The meat was improperly stored (possibly over the winter), and so Franklin was vomiting and making GBS threads himself before eventually expiring from respiratory failure. This wouldn't make for a very sexy story back home, so Crozier and Fitzsimmons didn't record the details.

Can't remember if there is an actual basis for the theory or if it's just speculation, but the documentaries on youtube about this are great.

Officers generally got acess to better rations and the tins were probably a godsend to the standard salted pork. One bad can could kill a few officers with the remaining officers barring the eating of cans. This would how they got through 3 years of rations in two. Theres not a lot of proof for this but its the simpliest plausible answer.

It would also explain the probable mutiny that occured. Some men starving on the island ignored croziers orders south and returned to the ships where the previously forbidden cans still were.

Despera fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2018

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Great moments in 19th century arctic exploration and Franklin's first failure.

quote:

Whatever doubts the officers may have had about his story gave way to gratitude when he presented them with meat, which he said had come from a hare and partridge he had managed to kill on the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppermine_Expedition_of_1819%E2%80%9322

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://norlender.no/shop-men/island-378

If you're looking for a Blanky sweater, forks not included.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despera posted:

Great moments in 19th century arctic exploration and Franklin's first failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppermine_Expedition_of_1819%E2%80%9322

It was was pretty amusing how the Brits turned this diaster of a expedition into some sort of heroic story.

This story pretty showed that Franklin had failings as a leader and mainly got his role because the other candidates such as Crozier got snubbed for having the wrong background.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
British lionization of polar disasters is what they did best, look at Scott.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Free Market Mambo posted:

lemons into lemonade

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

https://norlender.no/shop-men/island-378

If you're looking for a Blanky sweater, forks not included.

https://norlender.no/shop-men/narvik

Ah, if only I had a spare $330, assuming prices are American. I'll keep it in mind as I'm sick of my jumpers getting holes in them.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Of African exploration debacles too. It's interesting to read contemporary accounts of Stanley's expeditions and then contrast them to modern accounts that use multiple primary sources. If there's a hell, Stanley's likely burning in it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scott's failed expedition was similar in many ways especially the hubris in bringing the latest and greatest technology that wasn't adapted for use in the environment.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Did the Burke and Wills expedition get posted here before?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_and_Wills_expedition

19 men went on an expedition across Australia to try and map a route from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpinteria.

Some of the info reminded me of the unnecessary items found in the Franklin expedition sledges, like the books and silverware.

quote:

The expedition took a large amount of equipment, including enough food to last two years, a cedar-topped oak camp table with two chairs, rockets, flags and a Chinese gong; the equipment all together weighed as much as 20 tonnes
The expedition reached Swan Hill on 6 September and arrived in Balranald on 15 September. There, to lighten the load, they left behind their sugar, lime juice and some of their guns and ammunition

Burke and Wills got impatient because the govt was offering a big monetary reward for a south-north crossing, and they thought they’d get beaten to the prize, so they split the group. Later, Burke decided ‘poo poo yeah, forget waiting out this Australian summer!’ So Burke, Wills, Charles Gray and John King set out to the gulf.

On the return to the depot where they left everyone else they were short on food, monsoons hit, so they resorted to shooting and eating their camels (yes they imported camels) and horse. Gray killed a big ol’ python, which they ate and they got dysentery right after. Burke, who was also sick, thought Gray was bullshitting about being sick and beat him (possibly to death). The three surviving guys, Burke, Wills, and King, made it back to where they had split off from the rest of the expedition, but found those guys had ditched out a few hours before, figuring they were never coming back. Wills and King wanted to go the route indicated in the letter left in the supply cache, but Burke said ‘Nah’, and they headed for Mount Hopeless, but forgot to remark the cache.

A resupply doubled back, didn’t see any new markings, and figured Burke and co never came back.

Burke, Wills, and King had to kill and abandon their last two camels, couldn’t carry supplies and were exhausted and malnourished. But then, Aborigines showed up and were giving them food in exchange for sugar. They were saved!

...until Burke shot at one of them and they all ran.

Burke and Wills died from either malnutrition or beriberi, but King came across a friendly group of Aborigines who took him in. Instead to shooting at them like Burke had, he instead shot at birds to help earn his keep. He hung out for three months until a rescue expedition found him, and he lived for 11 more years though his health was pretty bad for the rest of his life.

It was a big ol clusterfuck, basically , and out of the four men that reached the gulf of Carpinteria, only John King made it back alive. They gave him a gold watch and a yearly pension.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!

LadyPictureShow posted:

On the return to the depot where they left everyone else they were short on food, monsoons hit, so they resorted to shooting and eating their camels (yes they imported camels) and horse.

Australia has 1 mil.+ feral camels now because of expeditions like this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did the Burke and Wills expedition get posted here before?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_and_Wills_expedition

19 men went on an expedition across Australia to try and map a route from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpinteria.

Some of the info reminded me of the unnecessary items found in the Franklin expedition sledges, like the books and silverware.

Also in typical heroic failure fashion they got statues and special coins to remember the expedition.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jikes posted:

Of African exploration debacles too. It's interesting to read contemporary accounts of Stanley's expeditions and then contrast them to modern accounts that use multiple primary sources. If there's a hell, Stanley's likely burning in it.

Not everyone can be a Captain Spaulding

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Mistakes into miracles

Scott and an mpreg Franklin walk hand in hand in front of the frozen-in Erebus and Terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bitchymcjones posted:

Australia has 1 mil.+ feral camels now because of expeditions like this.

drat, really? That’s kind of like how Germany has a raccoon problem because a baron or Kaiser imported them because he wanted to hunt different stuff. Or the multitude of snakes and Capybaras on the loose in Florida.

Are the camels mostly in the outback?

etalian posted:

Also in typical heroic failure fashion they got statues and special coins to remember the expedition.

John King (the only survivor of the whole trek) only got a puddly little plaque/monument.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 10, 2018