Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Has there ever been a movie series this long where it's one single continuity with the actors and characters but it reaches lows as low as the Universal Soldiers 2 and 3 we got on Showtime (and arguably The Return but at least that one's stupid in a fun way instead of just being plain bad) and then reaches highs as high as Regeneration and Day of Reckoning?

Star Trek, arguably; the first movie was absolutely terrible in its theatrical release (because they literally didn't have time to edit it), then The Wrath of Khan comes along and rocks the house, then it sinks to unbelievable poo poo with The Search for Spock, rebounds only slightly with The Voyage Home, rises up to a very good character piece with The Final Frontier, becomes Baby's First Cold War Allegory with The Undiscovered Country, is supremely good for about half of Generations, then plummets to the darkest level of Hell with the rest of the Next Generation movies, then actually reaches some pretty great highs with all three of the reboot movies, especially '09 and Beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Voyage Home is the best movie in the series, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's almost as hideous as The Search for Spock, Nimoy was a terribly boring director--all he could do were wide coverage and two-shots--the score is abominable and it resorts to farce. It's awful.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Regeneration absolutely owns, though I'm always a little salty about it because the original trailers and teasers for it made it seem like the movie was going to be about Dolph Lundgren and JCVD teaming up for the movie instead of what happens instead. That scene rules anyway though.

Has there ever been a movie series this long where it's one single continuity with the actors and characters but it reaches lows as low as the Universal Soldiers 2 and 3 we got on Showtime (and arguably The Return but at least that one's stupid in a fun way instead of just being plain bad) and then reaches highs as high as Regeneration and Day of Reckoning?

Jaws maybe, but that's only across 12 years, and they just kept getting worse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

Star Trek, arguably; the first movie was absolutely terrible in its theatrical release (because they literally didn't have time to edit it), then The Wrath of Khan comes along and rocks the house, then it sinks to unbelievable poo poo with The Search for Spock, rebounds only slightly with The Voyage Home, rises up to a very good character piece with The Final Frontier, becomes Baby's First Cold War Allegory with The Undiscovered Country, is supremely good for about half of Generations, then plummets to the darkest level of Hell with the rest of the Next Generation movies, then actually reaches some pretty great highs with all three of the reboot movies, especially '09 and Beyond.

This is the first time I've ever head this opinion of Final Frontier. I fuckin' love Beyond though, and the series has been around long enough to go from worst of the worst to really rad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

THE ACTION MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD:

Wrath of Khan
Beyond
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
Motion Picture
First Contact
Search for Spock
Generations
Into Darkness
Final Frontier
Insurrection
Nemesis

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

This is the first time I've ever head this opinion of Final Frontier. I fuckin' love Beyond though, and the series has been around long enough to go from worst of the worst to really rad.

The flaws of The Final Frontier can be ascribed to the writer having literally a month to write the script, the Teamsters going on strike right before location shooting began, Harve Bennett not wanting at all to produce the movie and doing so reluctantly, later saying that "Bill was easy to con," Ralph Winter being unprepared for his increased responsibility, both Bennett and Winter botching the negotiations for a special effects house (largely because ILM was unhappy with dealing with Bennett on The Voyage Home), and having the overall production be rushed, considering they began shooting in late October 1998 for a June 1989 release.

But despite all of that, Shatner's direction is nearly unimpeachable (because he actually had an idea of how to frame a shot and move a camera), Goldsmith's score is great, Laurence Luckinbill kills it as Sybok and Andy Laszlo's photography is absolutely stellar; it looks like a movie instead of like a cheap TV show like Nimoy's two movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

It's almost as hideous as The Search for Spock, Nimoy was a terribly boring director--all he could do were wide coverage and two-shots--the score is abominable and it resorts to farce. It's awful.

I enjoy the story.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maybe the real In Search Of... was the Spocks we found along the way.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neo Rasa posted:

In any forum that lacks a dedicated Star Trek thread, the odds of all megathreads becoming Star Trek threads eventually reaches 1.

e: ALSO ---

Wrath of Khan
First Contact (yea thats right eat poo poo)
TMP
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
Galaxy Quest (!)
Star Trek 09
Search for Spock
Star Trek Beyond
Final Frontier
Into Darkness
Insurrection
Generations
Nemesis

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 8, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neo Rasa posted:

Wrath of Khan
Beyond
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
Motion Picture
First Contact
Search for Spock
Generations
Into Darkness
Final Frontier
Insurrection
Nemesis

Let's go down together:

Wrath of Khan
Star Trek 09
Galaxy Quest
Undiscovered Country
Beyond
Voyage Home
Motion Picture
Generations
Into Darkness
Final Frontier
First Contact
Search for Spock
Insurrection
Nemesis

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Galaxy Quest is almost cheating. Like if you made a top ten list of trashy Roger Corman post-apocalyptic movies but also included Fury Road on it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I know, but still...

It rules.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You have to include it, it preserves the "good evens, bad odds" chain (even though as TMP has become one of my favorites which makes the whole thing kinda BS but w/e)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

You have to include it, it preserves the "good evens, bad odds" chain (even though as TMP has become one of my favorites which makes the whole thing kinda BS but w/e)

Everything from when V'Ger actually possesses Ilia to the end is some of the best Star Trek ever made. And holy poo poo that movie is beautiful. You know how beautiful a movie has to be to still look good when the costumes are as lovely as they are in that flick? I love that movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Galaxy Quest is ... decent enough, but the "hurr hurr it's the real tenth Star Trek movie" meme has been nauseating for like fifteen years or whatever.

Neo Rasa posted:

Everything from when V'Ger actually possesses Ilia to the end is some of the best Star Trek ever made. And holy poo poo that movie is beautiful. You know how beautiful a movie has to be to still look good when the costumes are as lovely as they are in that flick? I love that movie.

It was also totally botched when Bob Wise fired Joe Jennings and replaced him with Harold Michelson; Michelson designed the bridge sets so badly that Dick Kline had to light them at like 10 foot-candles, resulting in all the lighting being very unflattering coming from the floor, because the lights on the consoles were literally melting at full brightness.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 8, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Trek ranking

Beyond
Galaxy Quest
Kahn
Uh...I haven’t seen any of the other TOS movies

Into Darkness

The rest of the trash movies I was dragged too as a kid.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Timby posted:

Galaxy Quest is ... decent enough, but the "hurr hurr it's the real tenth Star Trek movie" meme has been nauseating for like fifteen years or whatever.

It was also totally botched when Bob Wise fired Joe Jennings and replaced him with Harold Michelson; Michelson designed the bridge sets so badly that Dick Kline had to light them at like 10 foot-candles, resulting in all the lighting being very unflattering coming from the floor, because the lights on the consoles were literally melting at full brightness.

I'm not gonna quibble with you and I'm not a Star Trek dude, but the space shots in TMP are the best thing in the series by such a wide margin that it straight up doesn't loving matter

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like TMP much more than most people, but I also have a fetish for bald women, so YMMV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I enjoy the story.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The world was saved because instead of engaging in a prolonged argument Kirk shouts "Yeah? Well double dumbass on you!" and proceeds with the mission. It rules.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fun article touching on the masculinity in Predator (and 80s movies in passing):

https://www.dreadcentral.com/editorials/275601/gender-bashing-manly-spectacle-in-predator/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy the story.

No excuses.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Halloween Jack posted:

I like TMP much more than most people, but I also have a fetish for bald women, so YMMV.

I think I just like old effects-heavy movies with cool soundtracks, and don't care if they're slow as hell, so naturally I dig TMP.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TMP is one of the many movies/tv shows that had been built up as a terrible, boring slog before I actually saw it, so when I did see it and thought it was actually pretty good, I may have enjoyed it more than I would have otherwise because my expectations had been pile-driven into the firmament.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
For everyone who thought Wolf Warriors 2 should have been longer, more violent, more patriotic and have way more gore Operation Red Sea was made just for you. It's way too long and still feels like crucial scenes were cut but there is some great action and gorgeous Moroccan scenery that gets blown to bits. I had no idea who any of the cast or characters were except for Luxia Jiang who uses a SAW as effectively as her kicks in Bad Blood to mow down hordes of mooks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFR9mPs99oo

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
As per recommendation of this thread, I just saw Brawl in Cell Block 99. drat that is a beast of a movie.

Vince Vaughn was really good and the last 20 minutes is just loving insane.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Streets of Fire for the first time and it's loving great.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Late to the Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning talk, but I just wanted to point out that the US blu-ray/DVD has the R-rated cut of the film. Most other countries got the uncut version.
You can find a comparison here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=583749 (with some very NSFW images).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I watched Accident Man last night and it was a pretty fun ride. Would have liked to see more of his "accident man skills" though.

Some of his fighting sequences with Mick looked oddly light-weight though, like they didn't really connect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This might be the wrong thread to ask in, but I'm not sure where would be more appropriate: does anybody have any recommendations for sort of "neo-western" movies? I am thinking of things along the lines of No Country for Old Men or Hell and High Water, but I'd also be happy with things on the pulpier end of the spectrum like Walter Hill's Extreme Prejudice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask in, but I'm not sure where would be more appropriate: does anybody have any recommendations for sort of "neo-western" movies? I am thinking of things along the lines of No Country for Old Men or Hell and High Water, but I'd also be happy with things on the pulpier end of the spectrum like Walter Hill's Extreme Prejudice.

The best one I've seen recently is Wind River (same writer and director as Hell and High Water), which I honestly found to be incredible and has stayed with me for months.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

One that predates No Country and Hell or High Water is The Proposition. It's not a modern setting though, I guess the "neo" part is that it takes place in Australia, not the American west.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm watching Streets of Fire for the first time and it's loving great.

Saw this post like 5 minutes before bed but I watched a few minutes of it and immediately added it to my watchlist. I love weird alternate worlds like that that just exist in a film without overly explaining things.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 15, 2018

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Wheat Loaf posted:

Way of the Gun is a movie that I'm still not sure that I like, but I definitely respect what Christopher McQuarrie was trying to do with it. It is bleak as gently caress, but has some really solid action in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen The Way of the Gun, which is a decent movie most of the way through but has a really cool shootout at the end.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, Way of the Gun is worth it for the shootout and how effortlessly cool Benicio Del Toro is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have mad love for Last Man Standing, the '90s Bruce Willis/Christopher Walken movie that is set during Prohibition with bootlegging gangsters, but set in a border town that's a remnant of the Old West. It's pulpy as hell, and it is another retelling of the classic Red Harvest/Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars story.

Something I haven't seen in about 20 years is Red Rock West, a neo-noir with kind of a Western setting, starring Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle (whose career was still extant back then), and the late, great J.T. Walsh, always a welcome presence in '90s action and crime movies. I don't think it was action-packed, but I enjoyed it at the time.

Seconding Wind River, and also Sicario, which you've probably already seen, but the same guy (Taylor Sheridan) wrote Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River, and just debuted some Western show with Kevin Costner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Kevin Costner and westerns, I rewatched Silverado recently. It's good, but it's definitely not as good as I remember thinking it was when I was much younger. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Small Town Crime is pretty good and is free on Netflix now. I would also highly recommend The Proposition, it's one of my favorite movies but is beyond bleak.