Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whether or not he can get the money back, with his decisionmaking he'll be turbofucked regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I got hit this week. Someone got my debit card info and started making charges. I caught it pretty early and called my bank but there was already a bunch of other charges pending. They put the money back into my account (about $700) but its going to be 10 days or so until I get my new card.

Pretty interesting stuff they were able to tell me just from looking at the charges. Two were done at a walmart for less than 20 a piece, but all the rest were done using 1) a Square reader 2) my information was entered manually so they didn't have a cloned or stolen card or anything like that 3) all the charges were to the same three locations; health spas (reputable ones in a rich area, not the rub and tug type).

My immediate thought was that whoever was working at these locations was buddies with whoever was using my card info. Maybe they went in and said they lost their card or that someone was treating them and gave them the card info but the nature of the charges: 75 dollars x3 then 150 all at one place and the rest of the charges on my card at other spas and a hair salon. How does that not seem fishy to the cashier if they weren't in on it? One of those times they ran the card at almost 2am (not what time it was processed, charged at 2am.)

Nothing on my other accounts and I went ahead and put a lock on my credit stuff through as a free service given to me last year when I was told my info might have been stolen in a data breach. Hmm...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm not sure where you're getting your information but I personally have never seen a bank that advertised hourly granularity when it comes to account transaction records. If you're basing this on like a text alert or something that your bank sent you, just....no. It doesn't work that way.

Also, IMO a spa in a rich area is a perfect place to pull a card-not-present scam. All you have to do is look rich and act like an impatient rich person who is just OUTRAGED that the staff won't run the card information that your boyfriend (or whoever) phoned over earlier

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That or go to a rich area and pretend to be the "help" out shopping for Richie McDumbass. Back when I did retail electronics rich people would send contractors or assistants in all the time with their credit card info scribbled on a slip of paper.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting your information...

Blackchamber posted:

I caught it pretty early and called my bank

Blackchamber posted:

Pretty interesting stuff they were able to tell me just from looking at the charges.

I guess I didn't make that clear enough? When I called the bank and they were asking me questions about which charges weren't mine and which were they told me the information they could see. I figured the stuff about knowing they manually inputted my info and what times things were charged (not posted though since I couldn't see everything that was still pending but they could) should have sounded more bank-person-inside-info-ish since I wouldn't be able to tell that just by what I was seeing on my bank statement.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 9, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm glad you caught it before your life got ruined! My bank's algorithms caught a scammer right away, too.

Does anyone know how useful those 3-digit security codes on the back of the card are?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I got a call from Woonsocket, Rhode Island today and the dude on the other end just asked me what my Instagram username was. My boyfriend was yelling at me to just hang up so I didn’t get to go down the rabbit hole of whatever the hell that was going to be about, so hopefully another goon ALSO got a call from Woonsocket, Rhode Island?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Back in the UK, I got a call from my bank one day for security

“Did you make a payment on Thursday at this local store?”
“Yep”
“Did you make a payment on Thursday at this other local store?”
“Yep”
“Did you then fly to Italy and clear out your account?”
“Errrr nope”

My bank immediately locked the account and I got all the lost money back. There was a skimmer on an ATM I’d used, and it hit a bunch of people.

My city was also on a documentary about those things, as the cops went into a bank on the high street knowing their was scammers in there picking up their gear but all the ATMs were clean. Turned out they put the skimmer on the outside door lock that you use for out of hours service.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

Back in the UK, I got a call from my bank one day for security

“Did you make a payment on Thursday at this local store?”
“Yep”
“Did you make a payment on Thursday at this other local store?”
“Yep”
“Did you then fly to Italy and clear out your account?”
“Errrr nope”

My bank immediately locked the account and I got all the lost money back. There was a skimmer on an ATM I’d used, and it hit a bunch of people.

My city was also on a documentary about those things, as the cops went into a bank on the high street knowing their was scammers in there picking up their gear but all the ATMs were clean. Turned out they put the skimmer on the outside door lock that you use for out of hours service.

That's clever, though you're not going to get PINs that way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember it aired long enough ago that they were probably cloning the cards and just using the mag strip element outside the country.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
My bank is hyper vigilant about turning off my card for suspicious charges. Which would be great if I didn't work as a touring roadie on a theater show. I'm in a new city twice a week, which I know should raise alarm bells. Even when I speak with them and say what my job is, they turn it back on, and it happens again two loving weeks later.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I woke up at 5am to buy NFL tickets through Ticketmaster back in the UK for a vacation and every single card I have, whether US or UK, refused to put the transaction through for one reason or another. Protections are useful and needed, but they trip so easily because they don’t want to pay out on the small chance it’s fraudulent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A while back I was buying a bunch of inexpensive items (patches for my :rock: vest) from various sellers all over the world through ebay, late in the evening. Around 20-25 in total, all costing around 2-3 dollars each.

My bank called me up and said they'd seen a bunch of random purchases through PayPal for small amounts, and whether I knew about it, otherwise they would lock my debit card and send me a new one. I just told them it was me, and that was it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Capital One sends an email if I give a large tip at a bar or restaurant. That's hypervigilance!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I got a call from my bank a few years ago where they said they had discovered skimming gear at some store, and they were preemptively locking the cards of everyone who had recently used their card there, and a new card would arrive in a few days.

It was slightly annoying to be without a card for a few days, but I appreciate that I didn't have to deal with contesting charges.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mouse Dresser posted:

My bank is hyper vigilant about turning off my card for suspicious charges. Which would be great if I didn't work as a touring roadie on a theater show. I'm in a new city twice a week, which I know should raise alarm bells. Even when I speak with them and say what my job is, they turn it back on, and it happens again two loving weeks later.

At that point I would probably just use cash for most transactions.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bank of America has a lil text box in online accounts now to type in your future travel dates. Their online support has been very good in general.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

peanut posted:

Bank of America has a lil text box in online accounts now to type in your future travel dates. Their online support has been very good in general.

USAA has that too, but I've traveled to Europe twice, gave them a heads up twice, and twice they've blocked my card as soon a I used it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I live outside of the US so my card has some reverse algorithm like $3000 plane tickets are fine but $12 at a gas station in Fresno is suspicious. (Always a gas station...)

Working in the fraud department would be kinda cool and satisfying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think gas stations are really common places for stolen cards to be used. My friend in work had to list off charges the other day of fraudulent use, and it was all gas stations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think gas stations are really common places for stolen cards to be used. My friend in work had to list off charges the other day of fraudulent use, and it was all gas stations.

Probably because they don't require human interaction and gas is something that I imagine people either need, or can sell on easy enough if they want cash.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can do a small-dollar purchase for something most people buy regularly without interacting with people or likely even cameras, thus verifying the card is active without arousing much suspicion, even at a glance of a statement. If someone ran my card at Chevron for $15, I’d assume it was my wife.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a lot of gas stations around here require entering the ZIP code (US postal code) of the card billing address before the pay-at-the-pump system will accept the card. dunno if you could get it to work with a foreign card

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Collateral Damage posted:

I got a call from my bank a few years ago where they said they had discovered skimming gear at some store, and they were preemptively locking the cards of everyone who had recently used their card there, and a new card would arrive in a few days.

Does anything ever happen to the business that's doing that? Do they lose their access to cards or do just blame it on the minimum wage worker?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of gas stations around here require entering the ZIP code (US postal code) of the card billing address before the pay-at-the-pump system will accept the card. dunno if you could get it to work with a foreign card

Yeah this is the new thing but in many cases you can steal a card, google the name on it and get that person's ZIP in about 5 seconds (or at least narrow it down to a handful of possibilities).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

-Zydeco- posted:

USAA has that too, but I've traveled to Europe twice, gave them a heads up twice, and twice they've blocked my card as soon a I used it.

Whenever I travel, I let BB&T know a few days before I go, it's worked just fine. The only trouble I've had was a Steam sale a while back where I bought like 15 copies of Shower With Your Dad Simulator. They saw a bunch of $.99 transactions in a row and shut me down - now I know to just loadike $50 on my account and go nuts.

One time my card DID get stolen (not the physical card), and they were on the ball. I got a call within an hour or so, probably because my card was used at a normal place for me in VA and a jewelry store in Manhattan within minutes of each other. Pretty sure the card number was taken when I bought a couple items from (in retrospect) rather sketchy websites. The products I ordered were delivered and fairly good quality though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MANime in the sheets posted:

I bought like 15 copies of Shower With Your Dad Simulator.

wat

Shroud
May 11, 2009

MANime in the sheets posted:

I bought like 15 copies of Shower With Your Dad Simulator.

Dude has 14 like-minded friends who share his passions and desires. No need to kink-shame.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
everyone has Bad Rats, it's passe now

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

everyone has Bad Rats, it's passe now

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

peanut posted:

I'm glad you caught it before your life got ruined! My bank's algorithms caught a scammer right away, too.

Does anyone know how useful those 3-digit security codes on the back of the card are?

Its called the CVV2 code. It’s an extra piece of security, but not exactly foolproof. That code isn’t stored on the mag stripe of the card, so in theory if someone got the number from a skimmer or from your statement or wherever, they couldn’t use it at Amazon.

At the same time though, not every merchant asks for the number. And if someone clones your number onto another card, nobody bothers to check it on an in person transaction.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i have literally never been asked about my cvv2 code in person. i don't know why you would. it won't catch people who have physically stolen your card, only people who have cloned it, and i feel like those people aren't usually handing it over to a cashier to swipe anyway.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Blackchamber posted:

I got hit this week. Someone got my debit card info and started making charges. I caught it pretty early and called my bank but there was already a bunch of other charges pending. They put the money back into my account (about $700) but its going to be 10 days or so until I get my new card.

Pretty interesting stuff they were able to tell me just from looking at the charges. Two were done at a walmart for less than 20 a piece, but all the rest were done using 1) a Square reader 2) my information was entered manually so they didn't have a cloned or stolen card or anything like that 3) all the charges were to the same three locations; health spas (reputable ones in a rich area, not the rub and tug type).

My immediate thought was that whoever was working at these locations was buddies with whoever was using my card info. Maybe they went in and said they lost their card or that someone was treating them and gave them the card info but the nature of the charges: 75 dollars x3 then 150 all at one place and the rest of the charges on my card at other spas and a hair salon. How does that not seem fishy to the cashier if they weren't in on it? One of those times they ran the card at almost 2am (not what time it was processed, charged at 2am.)

Nothing on my other accounts and I went ahead and put a lock on my credit stuff through as a free service given to me last year when I was told my info might have been stolen in a data breach. Hmm...

There's not a lot of logic behind credit card scammers. Odds are, the spa had nothing to do with anything. My company had someone get a hold of one of our cards. They used it to buy a bunch of domains on Godaddy.com using a new account, but using our email credentials. That means that they were not able to do anything with the domains. They didn't have email login information, so they could never activate the service. They even bought a payment system service that they could never activate because, again, no login info. They created their own account, but used email credentials that they had no access to. Not sure what their end-game was. They could have used their own email address, but they chose to use one of ours. One that they could not check. Ever.

We got the money back from the bank. Godaddy refused to refund, because they wanted to be jackasses,so we had to go the fraud route. Now we own a bunch of domains like youtakepayemanteck.com (I don't recall the real names, but they were that stupid), until they expire.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mostlygray posted:

There's not a lot of logic behind credit card scammers. Odds are, the spa had nothing to do with anything. My company had someone get a hold of one of our cards. They used it to buy a bunch of domains on Godaddy.com using a new account, but using our email credentials. That means that they were not able to do anything with the domains. They didn't have email login information, so they could never activate the service. They even bought a payment system service that they could never activate because, again, no login info. They created their own account, but used email credentials that they had no access to. Not sure what their end-game was. They could have used their own email address, but they chose to use one of ours. One that they could not check. Ever.

We got the money back from the bank. Godaddy refused to refund, because they wanted to be jackasses,so we had to go the fraud route. Now we own a bunch of domains like youtakepayemanteck.com (I don't recall the real names, but they were that stupid), until they expire.

That's dumb enough I almost wonder if someone mis-programmed a bot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Point them all to the goatman. No real reason, but can’t hurt.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Timecube needs mirrors

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Those are both solid ideas, the goatman may not be possible, depending on the company though

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Point them all to the goatman. No real reason, but can’t hurt.

He can handle as many as you point his way and more.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

mostlygray posted:

There's not a lot of logic behind credit card scammers. Odds are, the spa had nothing to do with anything.

I still can't figure how one of the spas that is only open until 9pm would charge my card at 2am. Again this info is coming from my bank, that was when the charge was made not when the transaction posted.

When I worked retail I knew the best way people passed funny money and fake checks (I remember a travelers check I found during closeout that was one sided, home printer made, blurry with the colors running together and no holographics) is to have a friend behind the register being the one accepting it. No risk... well until your employer catches on that all the bad stuff happens when you are the one working the register. I just think if you are going to have someone hand jam card info 4 times in a row and once more after hours that person can't be completely ignorant or the least bit suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I still can't figure how one of the spas that is only open until 9pm would charge my card at 2am. Again this info is coming from my bank, that was when the charge was made not when the transaction posted.

bought a gift card online maybe?