Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Bradbury owns but he could really be an old man yelling at a cloud sometimes.

quote:

Even more depressing is that I foresaw political correctness 43 years ago.

P: In Fahrenheit 451, too?

B: Yes. [At one point, another character,] the fire chief, describes how the minorities, one by one, shut the mouths and minds of the public, suggesting a precedent: The Jews hated Fagin and Shylock - burn them both, or at least never mention them. The blacks didn't like friend of the family Jim floating on Huck's raft with him - burn, or at least hide, him. Women's libbers hated Jane Austen as an awfully inconvenient woman in a dreadfully old-fashioned time - off with her head! Family-values groups detested Oscar Wilde - back in the closet, Oscar! Communists hated the bourgeoisie - shoot them! An on and on it goes. So whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.

P: Do you respond to them?

B: I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s. You can't fool around with the dangerous notion of telling a university what to teach and what not to. If you don't like the curriculum, go to another school. Faculty members who toe the same line are sanctimonious nincompoops!

http://raybradbury.com/articles_playboy.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bradbury's works transcend the author, who was a pretty poo poo dude. Martian Chronicles, Illustrated Man, F451 all hold up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I like science fiction and loving.

I read Heinlein.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toshimo posted:

I read Heinlein.

I gently caress science fiction fans.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Gross and wrong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Toshimo posted:

I read Heinlein.

ew

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toshimo posted:

Gross and wrong.

Wow, rude! :mad:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Get your science friction on! :pervert:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

nice

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

Get your science friction on! :pervert:

Wanna go reenact The Trouble with Tribology? :wink:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why not just get The Laid of Heaven.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why not just get The Laid of Heaven.

Let's start with The Left Handjob of Darkness and go from there?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Stranger in a Strange Hand

giggidy :pervert:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Stranger in a Strange Hand

giggidy :pervert:

That's when you sit on your hand and your dick

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Word for World is Foreskin

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I read Heinlein.

Stranger was my favorite book for a huge portion of my life, but uh.... man, if you've actually ready a bunch of Heinlein and still post that, I think I know exactly what kind of loving you're into :yikes:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mondian posted:

Stranger was my favorite book for a huge portion of my life, but uh.... man, if you've actually ready a bunch of Heinlein and still post that, I think I know exactly what kind of loving you're into :yikes:

Yeah, was this the thread where we talked about his time traveling pedophilia/incest fetish, or was that somewhere else?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

maltesh posted:

I admit, I disliked Starship Troopers until a few years ago, when someone told me to view it as an in-universe propaganda piece . A government-ordered made-for-consumption piece to sell a war that is going a lot worse than the movie claims, and has to reconcile and retroactively justify events that can't be covered up, instead of an accurate depiction of how things went.

There are even commercial interruptions during the movie, dammit.

I've held to that thought, too, and the crazy thing is what I seem to remember with Starship Troopers 2 and 3 that maybe makes them a bit deeper if you continue to view them in the same light as some form of in-universe media. It's been a while since I've seen either, though.

Troopers 2 is the anti-establishment revolutionary propaganda film. While Troopers 1 paints the war as just, the soldiers as heroes and the government as being good and strong, Troopers 2 is an underground movie that it highly critical of all of that and is trying to be a sort of more ominous film intentionally as a result of that. A message of the film is that the government's law is flawed, it's possibly lying, maybe inept, it's maybe been corrupted, it's possible it can no longer be trusted and it's literally just wanting people to be slaughtered in a bug war. The last few minutes of that movie have the feel of a cautionary horror, like it wants the audience to open its eyes or something.

Now imagine Troopers 3 comes out a generation or so after the bug wars end, maybe people are a bit more comfortable looking back at the era with some sarcasm, cynicism at the war, its handling, it's leaders and even propaganda and maybe even mocking whatever the status quo eventually became or was war/post-war. It's maybe the MASH version of how the Bug Wars went down.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, was this the thread where we talked about his time traveling pedophilia/incest fetish, or was that somewhere else?

No, we have not talked about my fetishes, yet.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The big barrier I have to reading old-timey Science-Fiction is that while a lot of books have a solid concept, they're usually burdened with the author's pet-issues namely coffee, drugs, smoking, and women who don't put out. The modern day equivalent is the gross sexual-stuff Neil Gaiman puts in his short stories at random.

The Demolished Man would make a great movie if you jettisoned 70% of the book. It has a cool premise: one man plots to murder another man and get away with it in a future where Telepaths are a new and growing class of society. The poo poo you can leave out is the hero-antagonist falling in love with a woman with the intellect of a child, and all the Freudian crap that grows larger and larger.

And for something that's held up well: Fred Rogers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Probably at the PYF Terrible Book which dumped on classic creepy sci-fi and fantasy a lot.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I prefer collections of scifi short stories rather than full length books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Same, but for most fiction. I may actually read through The Illustrated Man again. It's been too long.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samuringa posted:

Probably at the PYF Terrible Book which dumped on classic creepy sci-fi and fantasy a lot.

Na, I don't follow that thread. Maybe I should! :stare:

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I get Analog for that purpose, and it's pretty good. There's awesome authors working today, and if they're as hosed up as the "Golden Age" folk, at least they're getting better at keeping it to themselves.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bradbury's works transcend the author, who was a pretty poo poo dude. Martian Chronicles, Illustrated Man, F451 all hold up.
Yeah, I really like a lot of Asimov's nonfiction writing and unquestionably put him up on the sci-fi Mt. Rushmore but, just like the people up on actual Mt. Rushmore I'm more than capable of acknowledging that there are... issues.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Na, I don't follow that thread. Maybe I should! :stare:

I get Analog for that purpose, and it's pretty good. There's awesome authors working today, and if they're as hosed up as the "Golden Age" folk, at least they're getting better at keeping it to themselves.

Analog is (used to be?) full of right-wing idiocy. I stopped buying it after an issue with not one but two stories making GBS threads on 'socialized medicine' in bizarre ways.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Unkempt posted:

Analog is (used to be?) full of right-wing idiocy. I stopped buying it after an issue with not one but two stories making GBS threads on 'socialized medicine' in bizarre ways.

Really? I haven't gotten this impression at all. I only subscribed late last year, though.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Give me The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction instead. Thanks. But seriously, give it to me. I used to have a subscription many years ago and I miss it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And for something that's held up well: Fred Rogers.

We did not deserve that man. He was too good for this rotten, festering planet.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Unkempt posted:

Interesting. I used to read Analog 20 or so years ago, and gradually realised there was a lot of filler: stories that were blatant fan service, or only worked as genre (i.e. were poorly written but had the right tropes), bad stories from "good" authors ... I largely stopped reading science fiction after that. It seemed like the inmates had taken over the asylum.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never watched Extra Credits because it's always struck me as a "Preaching from Pulpit"" thing, and now it turns out a lot of departures from the show were because the co-founder, Jame Portnow, is a harasser and Internet Nice Guy.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never watched Extra Credits because it's always struck me as a "Preaching from Pulpit"" thing, and now it turns out a lot of departures from the show were because the co-founder, Jame Portnow, is a harasser and Internet Nice Guy.

Wait, what? Is there somewhere with more detail on this? Now they do more video's on history (yesterdays was about Euclid and how we got to Newton from it) I only watch the non-video game ones.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3853977&perpage=40&pagenumber=129#pti27

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Much of the cgi in Event Horizon has not aged well

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
More like oldeyeless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know it’s been handled in a lot of Star Wars threads before and isn’t technically a movie but to tie into the last few pages the idea of Kyp Durron weirded me out enough as a kid that I slowly stopped reading Star Wars eu books

Dude literally straight up kills billions of people and is like “whoops sith stuff my bad” And is just totally forgiven and becomes a Jedi. It happens within like a day or two

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is going back a while, and I'm sure it wasn't stolen from ONLY the 60s batman, but seeing this clip just reminded me of the similar bit in the Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death where Gromit tries to throw the bomb out of the bakery window.

Now Wallace and Gromit has aged magnificently. A Grand Day Out is the worst by far in terms of animation quality, but only because they got better and better at the models as they went on. But as regard to story, the twee whimsy and silliness has stood up remarkably well.

I actually show them to my students, (middle school students), and they love it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aesop Poprock posted:

Dude literally straight up kills billions of people and is like “whoops sith stuff my bad” And is just totally forgiven and becomes a Jedi. It happens within like a day or two

So many shows do this and it kills my suspension of disbelief.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is going back a while, and I'm sure it wasn't stolen from ONLY the 60s batman, but seeing this clip just reminded me of the similar bit in the Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death where Gromit tries to throw the bomb out of the bakery window.

Now Wallace and Gromit has aged magnificently. A Grand Day Out is the worst by far in terms of animation quality, but only because they got better and better at the models as they went on. But as regard to story, the twee whimsy and silliness has stood up remarkably well.

I actually show them to my students, (middle school students), and they love it.

Looney Tunes did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrigadierSensible posted:

A Grand Day Out is the only good one.