Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatis
Jun 6, 2012

T-Bone posted:

Oh whoops I was thinking Risto was a lefty. So you've got Dahlin/Risto as a top pair, and then crickets? Guhle seems OK. I would think he and Bogosian would be the second pair if everyone is healthy. McCabe, Scandella, and Beaulieu seem like varying degrees of 3rd pair LHD and Falk is awful.

Even Ristolainen isn't particularly good...that defense is so bad and I'm a Devils fan. They'd benefit greatly from a real #1 RHD.

For the time being, Scandella can slot in alright in a 2nd pairing role, but McCabe and Beaulieu are definitely 3rd pairing at best. I'd prefer if the team found a way to get rid of both of them to promote Guhle and Nelson fulltime.

As for Risto, I'm still not ready to give up hope quite yet. He's good with the puck and on the PP, but he's been deployed horrifically his entire time in the NHL because the team hasn't had anyone else. If Dahlin is anywhere near as good as advertised, it allows them to insulate Risto a little bit more, which would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sounds like Buffalo could use some veteran presence on the back end. Someone with Cup experience. Someone like Brent Seabrook.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe this is the year buffalo turns a corner. Maybe!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

whatis posted:

For the time being, Scandella can slot in alright in a 2nd pairing role, but McCabe and Beaulieu are definitely 3rd pairing at best. I'd prefer if the team found a way to get rid of both of them to promote Guhle and Nelson fulltime.

As for Risto, I'm still not ready to give up hope quite yet. He's good with the puck and on the PP, but he's been deployed horrifically his entire time in the NHL because the team hasn't had anyone else. If Dahlin is anywhere near as good as advertised, it allows them to insulate Risto a little bit more, which would be great.

Maybe Carlson just wants to cash in now that he's got his Cup.

that being said he played his youth hockey in NJ and is obviously going to the Devils.

quote:

Growing up in New Jersey, John Carlson could've been a Rangers fan. But he wasn't.

"No, I didn't like them," said the Capitals defenseman, who was born in Natick, Mass., and moved when he was 5 or 6. "I was pretty much a Bruins fan, actually, and then I kind of adapted a little bit to the Devils, because of living near and being able to catch a few games. But never really a Rangers fan, no."

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

Maybe this is the year buffalo turns a corner. Maybe!

A lot of dead weight potentially comes off the books this year, and there's another 3 or 4 guys I'd like to see walk that have expiring contracts next year too. They've got promising young players lined up to take quite a few of the new spots but it will be up to management to surround them with quality role players and vets via trade/FA. It's not impossible, but the FO sat on their hands for way too long last season, and it doesn't give me much hope in them being proactive.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
In other long suffering franchise news, if his crazy playoff run didn't tell you, Robert Thomas is starting to look like a really great pick at #20 for the Blues.

I know they're trying to trade/sign a center this offseason but the dude is gonna be ready soon.

And yeah Svechnikov is insane and would be a solid #1 overall if Dahlin wasn't around. How will Waddell gently caress this up?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 8, 2018

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

T-Bone posted:

In other long suffering franchise news, if his crazy playoff run didn't tell you, Robert Thomas is starting to look like a really great pick at #20 for the Blues.

I know they're trying to trade/sign a center this offseason but the dude is gonna be ready soon.

And yeah Svechnikov is insane and would be a solid #1 overall if Dahlin wasn't around. How will Waddell gently caress this up?

I'm assuming he starts the year as the 3C but probably quickly moves up to 2C and maybe even 1C depending on what happens with the Blues at the draft/FA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Don't hate the idea of Calgary grabbing a 1st, depends what they're giving up, though. If it helps clear space to improve at RW, even better.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Don't hate the idea of Calgary grabbing a 1st, depends what they're giving up, though. If it helps clear space to improve at RW, even better.

Who's this Fox kid that hfNYR are obsessed with?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Who's this Fox kid that hfNYR are obsessed with?

Harvard defenceman, came from the the USDP. Really solid defensively from what I've read. Also averaging a PPG in the ECAC. I consider him Calgary's #1 prospect at the moment.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 8, 2018

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

Anyways w/ the Rangers trading guys I don't really believe they'll go all out selling everyone or something but they're looking for some pretty targeted trades like I said. If they don't find what they want they'll wait.

I think Hayes stays for sure unless someone makes them a real sweet offer. He played great down the stretch and the Rangers need to keep some vet centers in the mix IMO. Spooner...eh, he flashes talent sometimes, then disappears, blah blah. Namestnikov got the AV treatment a bit IMO. He struggled after a bit but also got 4th lined instead of getting any benefit of a doubt. I think he'll do better.

Vesey can gently caress off for all I care but I'm biased by AV's usage of him. He's a poo poo top six player and I'm worried they'll keep trying to shoehorn him into that position

I don't think the Rangers are trading everyone, but I think they're opening to trading two forwards and I think which ones go depends on the offer from other teams. Vesey likely stays, since his value isn't that high, and he's a good bottom six forward.

It isn't a fire sale, but it's a rebuild. All these players in their mid 20s are still good and valuable hockey players/trade pieces next year, there's no rush to move them. Ideally, they move most of these guys for younger assets over the next three years.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

T-Bone posted:

let's have some fuckin trades

https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/1005185464502923264

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
that's not the vesey I wanted to gently caress off

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Speaking of potential trade rumors there's some noise the Bruins might try to move Torey Krug this offseason. I don't know how much I believe them, considering most of the rumors track back to articles written by professional morons Kevin Paul Dupont and Joe Haggerty who suggest Krug might be moved for any and every defenseman with local ties, regardless of whether or not they fill the Bruins' needs. (Dupont suggest that, in order to improve the left side of the defense, the Bruins would trade the left-shot Krug to open space for the right-shot Carlson, because Carlson was born in MA.)

That said, Cam Neely has talked about wanting to add size on the left side of the Bruins' defense, and Krug's contract has a partial no-trade that kicks in on July 1st, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. Plus, the P-Bruins already have four left-shot defensemen under contract for next season, and they're trying get Vaakanainen, another left-shot, to sign an ELC for next season, so something is probably gonna give.

On an only-slightly-related note, the Bruins recently confirmed that Austin Czarnik is going to test free agency this summer. He played most of the 2016-2017 season in the NHL, scoring 13 points in 48 games while playing with wastemen like Jimmy Hayes and Matt Beleskey, and then spent the majority of this season in the AHL, where he put up a very nice 69 points in 64 games. He certainly seems ready to take the next step, but the Bruins only have a couple forward spots open at present and there's a lot of players looking to break through, so he's looking for a team with a clearer path to regular playing time. He's almost certainly gonna be a cheap, decent bottom six forward for someone next season.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Comedy Twitter coach Q's stash is saying local darling Scott Darling is on his way back to Chicago.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whatis posted:

Bogosian is more of a #2 in that he is an actual turd. If he's relied upon at all in anything more than a 3rd pairing capacity this upcoming season, it's a failure

There's no reason to get rid of O'Reilly right now. The team lacks forward depth like crazy, and even if they plan on slotting Mittelstadt in as the second center, they shouldn't do it right now, and O'Reilly is every bit as good at wing as he is at center. Let Eichel and O'Reilly take care of the 1st and 2nd line duties for a year or two while Mittelstadt develops, and if everything goes according to plan, then move O'Reilly to 1st or 2nd line wing.

Agreed on all counts

T-Bone posted:

Oh whoops I was thinking Risto was a lefty. So you've got Dahlin/Risto as a top pair, and then crickets? Guhle seems OK. I would think he and Bogosian would be the second pair if everyone is healthy. McCabe, Scandella, and Beaulieu seem like varying degrees of 3rd pair LHD and Falk is awful.

Even Ristolainen isn't particularly good...that defense is so bad and I'm a Devils fan. Getting Dahlin is massive but they'd benefit greatly from a real #1 RHD.

Guhle is developing into a good defenseman, I'm pretty sure he is going to stay in the NHL next season which should help his development. McCabe and Scandella are decent enough, I feel like Beaulieu wasn't healthy much less season so I didn't see much of him but what I did see didn't impress. Falk is not impressive and Antipin is probably gonna peace out after getting wrecked by Hartnell in that one game I went to.

Sabres could still use a good veteran defenseman to go with the young talent they are developing and of course the superstar they are about to draft. They are still questionable in goal but the word is that Ulmark is going to start next year which is the right move. Unless they can somehow grab a good goalie but lol yeah right.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

So uh, I just remembered this:

quote:

Montreal Canadiens sign defenceman Karl Alzner to five-year contract
July 1, 2017 2:12 PM EDT

MONTREAL — Karl Alzner says joining the Montreal Canadiens gives him a better chance to win a Stanley Cup than he had with the Capitals in Washington.

He was thrilled to sign a US$23.125-million, five-year contract as a free agent with the Canadiens on Saturday.

“The possibility of winning it with the Canadiens is something,” said Alzner, who will cost $4.625 million per season against the salary cap. “I’d love to go to the promised land with this team.”

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lol Alzner.

I don’t have any particular grudge against you but your quotes sure as poo poo sound dumb now.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Mind_Taker posted:

lol Alzner.

I don’t have any particular grudge against you but your quotes sure as poo poo sound dumb now.

Karl was a warrior for us for a lot of years, but last year's playoff series against the Pens highlighted the toll that his body has taken since coming up to the club full time from the Bears. He's basically on the Orpik career trajectory, just minus the championship rings.

I'm really sad that my boy, Handsome Brooks Laich, blew his groin apart while having mind-blowing sex with Julianne Hough in Switzerland during the lockout and that his career never recovered. He was always my favorite Cap in the "Rock the Red" era and I would have liked to have seen him get his name on the cup. That tire changing bastard.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MononcQc posted:

Bergevin is the new Holmgren.

I dont know what that makes Benning or Chiarelli.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Chiarelli is the new Mike Milbury. Who was bad. Much like Chiarelli. And he got fired. Much like Chiarelli should be.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

HootTheOwl posted:

Comedy Twitter coach Q's stash is saying local darling Scott Darling is on his way back to Chicago.

If you want a more reputable source, Scott Powers from the Athletic says the same thing (he also mentions the Hawks are talking to the Hurricanes about Faulk).

I don't know about Darling, if only because he costs way too much for a backup. The Canes would have to retain some salary. I think the only reason it'd make sense to take him back at 4.1 million is if the team believes Crow's concussion will drag out through all of next year, too.

Faulk would be a godsend for the Hawks crummy blue line, but I imagine there's no shortage of teams interested him. With all the NTCs, the Hawks really do not have much to offer in a trade unless Schmaltz or DeBrincat is involved...and they cannot afford to part with either of those players now.

Then again, maybe the Canes new management is really idiotic and overvalues someone like Artem Anisimov. That'd solve two problems at once!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MononcQc posted:

God drat we're coming up on the 10th anniversary of Marion Hossa saying this

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Harvard defenceman, came from the the USDP. Really solid defensively from what I've read. Also averaging a PPG in the ECAC. I consider him Calgary's #1 prospect at the moment.

I have him as #4, and it’s 3other dmen in front of him (Kylington, Anderson, Valimaki), on an NHL roster with a very good top 6. They need to move some of that depth for a top 6 forward and shoot Troy Brouwer into Neptune’s frigid rear end

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Supposedly the lightning are the front runners to sign vasilevskiy. That is the KHL defenseman alexey vasilevskiy older brother of andrei. Hey, brothers in the nhl are always as good as their high drafted younger brothers right?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wonderllama posted:

Supposedly the lightning are the front runners to sign vasilevskiy. That is the KHL defenseman alexey vasilevskiy older brother of andrei. Hey, brothers in the nhl are always as good as their high drafted younger brothers right?

*does an Exorcist 360 degree puke rotation seeing Marc Staal for a few seconds*

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mennoknight posted:

I have him as #4, and it’s 3other dmen in front of him (Kylington, Anderson, Valimaki), on an NHL roster with a very good top 6. They need to move some of that depth for a top 6 forward and shoot Troy Brouwer into Neptune’s frigid rear end

Brouwer has a modified NTC. Might be tough.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Wonderllama posted:

oilers sure hope so, they traded for nolan vesey yesterday to add to their collection that includes caleb jones, colin larkin, and i think someone else

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

fits posted:

oilers sure hope so, they traded for nolan vesey yesterday to add to their collection that includes caleb jones, colin larkin, and i think someone else

How could you forget the great Ryan Strome?!? Dylan might suck, but he still counts! Plus a year ago they also had Griffin Reinhart, older brother of Sam.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Brouwer has a modified NTC. Might be tough.

I wonder if his NTC covers other planets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Offseason time! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859591

• Locked thread