Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hunt11 posted:

For the Gaia world chain from Distant Stars what happens if you let the planet be purged by fire? Does that destroy the planet or does that just give me a free gaia planet to colonize?

Not letting them be purged just causes the purging fleet to get pissy and kill your outpost before loving off (without destroying the planet), so it's not a big deal either way.

Wiki says a purge turns the planet into a barren world :nyoron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Vengarr posted:

Not letting them be purged just causes the purging fleet to get pissy and kill your outpost before loving off (without destroying the planet), so it's not a big deal either way.

Wiki says a purge turns the planet into a barren world :nyoron:

I believe that is actually a bug, because there's more to that event chain that doesn't get triggered right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Catching up on the thread:

I do wish you could, at least later on, improve observation posts to be able to intercept nuclear warheads and prevent the far too common outcome of nuclear annihilation for atomic age primitives. Like if you can learn to encase entire planets in shields, surely you can create an emergency interception program for your OP at a significant cost/after a certain tech is researched. Hell, make it an event chain, like have it cause passive observation to rocket straight into forcing them spaceward and having to quarantine them so they can get over the shock of near destruction and also learning of extraterrestrial life that has been watching them, all at the same time. Have different outcomes based on primitive ethos, maybe, like xenophobes getting mad about outside involvement in their problems or something. Spiritualists revering you as godly saviours. Etc.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Mmm, tasty metal.
I remember ages ago reading a 40k tyranid story where they would just dump everything into the digestion pools, including machinery, and the metal would be incorporated into the next group of biological horrors

ConfusedUs posted:

*shrug* in my last wide game, I did Discovery last.

Going Expansion first was huge in terms of reduced Influence costs to expand, and extra pops for new settlements.
I always beeline for the triple monthly unity for every completed research project perk in discovery, it's absurdly powerful. Don't research lovely little techs until later when you can bomb them out within a month or three, I'm pretty sure it also affects tech completions from salvage scans too. You can easily get all the unity perks far earlier by going this way first. I am frankly shocked they didn't nerf it like they did to another perk or buff right after apocalypse came out.

Really, doing discovery and map the stars round the clock should be mandatory for every playthrough, getting all those extra anomalies early on can vastly improve star systems near your capital.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh hey Wiz: driven assimilators still let you pick stuff like +happy and +food for your assimilated starting race idk if that’s supposed to still be in since they’re not affected by those

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh hey Wiz: driven assimilators still let you pick stuff like +happy and +food for your assimilated starting race idk if that’s supposed to still be in since they’re not affected by those

Presumably they were happy, simple farmers before their souls were stolen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

I do wish you could, at least later on, improve observation posts to be able to intercept nuclear warheads and prevent the far too common outcome of nuclear annihilation for atomic age primitives. Like if you can learn to encase entire planets in shields, surely you can create an emergency interception program for your OP at a significant cost/after a certain tech is researched. Hell, make it an event chain, like have it cause passive observation to rocket straight into forcing them spaceward and having to quarantine them so they can get over the shock of near destruction and also learning of extraterrestrial life that has been watching them, all at the same time. Have different outcomes based on primitive ethos, maybe, like xenophobes getting mad about outside involvement in their problems or something. Spiritualists revering you as godly saviours. Etc.
Hey Wiz and Lord Mune if either of you are reading this thread on your day off for some godforsaken reason this would be super cool.

Captain Invictus posted:

Really, doing discovery and map the stars round the clock should be mandatory for every playthrough, getting all those extra anomalies early on can vastly improve star systems near your capital.
I really think the +anomaly find chance modifiers are bad for the game. Getting a +find chance scientist or opening discovery just can't be compared to +survey speed or a bonus pop. It's not a matter of tweaking the numbers, they're just an entirely different scope of benefit. Imagine if the Colonisation opener had a chance to turn barren planets into fertile planets, but only if you hadn't scanned them yet. That's the kind of impact +anomaly chance has. There's even an anomaly that does this! The only one that I think might be reasonable to keep is Map the Stars, since it's entirely under the players' control and available from the start, but enabling it while scanning your starting area is such a false choice you should get one round of it enabled for free when you start a game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

There's even an anomaly that does this!
I went back to my game and Grimacing immediately popped :tinfoil:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Splicer posted:

Hey Wiz and Lord Mune if either of you are reading this thread on your day off for some godforsaken reason this would be super cool.
Thanks. Work was exceptionally slow so I binged the thread and someone a half dozen pages ago or so mentioned finding a primitive society that blew themselves up, and it made me think about how every single run I have at least two primitive worlds tomb themselves and there's nothing I can do.

It would be the equivalent of two kids about to run at each other with running chainsaws, and an adult picking them both up by the scruff of the necks and saying "okay, you're going in time out." Surely your interstellar empire can out-think some crude atmospheric atomic weapons before they ruin everything.

Then I thought of the possible ramifications of such an action and it's just ripe for some new story content, it would certainly help diversify primitive upbringings.

quote:

I really think the +anomaly find chance modifiers are bad for the game. Getting a +find chance scientist or opening discovery just can't be compared to +survey speed or a bonus pop. It's not a matter of tweaking the numbers, they're just an entirely different scope of benefit. Imagine if the Colonisation opener had a chance to turn barren planets into fertile planets, but only if you hadn't scanned them yet. That's the kind of impact +anomaly chance has. There's even an anomaly that does this! The only one that I think might be reasonable to keep is Map the Stars, since it's entirely under the players' control and available from the start, but enabling it while scanning your starting area is such a false choice you should get one round of it enabled for free when you start a game.
Yes, I think the concept of increased anomaly chance isn't ideal, but until they find a better solution, the priority of every player should be to maximize anomaly chance.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Does it even make that much of a difference? If I'm reading the defines file right then scanning has a 5% chance of spawning an anomaly, and if it doesn't spawn one the chance of getting an anomaly on the next scan is increased by 0,5%. Presumably this stacks until it finds an anomaly and then resets the bonus. I can't imagine the 10% bonus from opening the Discovery tree is additive since that would triple the anomaly discovery rate and make both it and the Meticulous trait overpowered, so I assume it works multiplicatively and increases the chance of finding an anomaly to 5,5%, though I don't know whether it would also increase the failing bonus to 0,55%, not that it's a huge deal either way.

Of course when you're scanning hundreds and hundreds of planets it adds up, especially if the RNG is on your side and gives you a really nice find, but in the big picture I don't see how the benefits from +10% anomaly spawn chance is a bigger deal than many of the other bonuses. The effects of the extra anomalies can be permanent of course depending on what you find, but so can an early head start from some of the other bonuses be.

*Edit*
I guess it being additive wouldn't triple the discovery rate as such since presumably it wouldn't affect the % increase from failing, but it would still be a massive increase, and I'm pretty sure at least the +anomaly spawn chance from science ships, scientists and curator tech is multiplicative since otherwise you could later on end up with a close to 100% anomaly find chance. This being Paradox though I can't totally rule out that some bonuses are additive and some multiplicative without any way to tell which is which, since that's kind of a thing of theirs :v:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 9, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I do wish you could, at least later on, improve observation posts to be able to intercept nuclear warheads and prevent the far too common outcome of nuclear annihilation for atomic age primitives. Like if you can learn to encase entire planets in shields, surely you can create an emergency interception program for your OP at a significant cost/after a certain tech is researched. Hell, make it an event chain, like have it cause passive observation to rocket straight into forcing them spaceward and having to quarantine them so they can get over the shock of near destruction and also learning of extraterrestrial life that has been watching them, all at the same time. Have different outcomes based on primitive ethos, maybe, like xenophobes getting mad about outside involvement in their problems or something. Spiritualists revering you as godly saviours.

Seconding this as a really cool thing.

It also may be a bit convoluted, but it’d be cool to have like some kind of benevolent overlord kind of relationship with primitives. Where you aren’t actively studying on them (kid napping them to stuff them with implants) or trying to infilitrate/uplift them. But just more of a “angelic role” - where your species tries to stay in the background and help them advance through the epochs a bit faster and otherwise take care of them.

This could give the same benefits as aggressive studying, but without the assholeish implications for the nicer species of the galaxy.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 9, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Some events to spice up the terminally long indoctrination of stone/bronze/etc age primitives would be nice too, I realize turning cavemen into astronauts takes time but I hope something more engaging than watching a bar fill ever... so... slowly is in the cards.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

McSpanky posted:

Some events to spice up the terminally long indoctrination of stone/bronze/etc age primitives would be nice too, I realize turning cavemen into astronauts takes time but I hope something more engaging than watching a bar fill ever... so... slowly is in the cards.

You haven't played Europa Universalis 4 I take it :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
All I know is with that, map the stars, and meticulous, it definitely feels like I'm finding way more anomalies than without. I suppose someone could actually find what the actual numbers say, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

McSpanky posted:

Even if it was just something like the uplifted race needing to have questions answered that would be better than just a bar.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just built my first habitat as a life-seeded empire.

I regret everything.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Just chiming in on hoping Wiz includes the "Save them from Themselves" nuclear annihilation prevention event chain.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

MiddleOne posted:

Just built my first habitat as a life-seeded empire.

I regret everything.

Immediate inrush of foreign poo poo people before you could fill it up with your philosopher god kings?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

McSpanky posted:

There actually is an event or two that does this, but it's relatively rare and not super powerful.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My current game has a bunch of planets without stars... which means I can't build starbases. Any idea how to fix this?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

McSpanky posted:

What would also be neat is if this process actually improved their tech level.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I got the Awoken to live again!

They colonised a world right next to the isolationist Fallen Empire!

Every ten years, the poor robots are blasted back to their single planet and are humiliated!

A great victory for the United Nations of Earth!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Imperialist Dog posted:

Just chiming in on hoping Wiz includes the "Save them from Themselves" nuclear annihilation prevention event chain.
eagerly awaiting my character insert as a thank you for coming up with this brilliant idea :grin:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

Does it even make that much of a difference? If I'm reading the defines file right then scanning has a 5% chance of spawning an anomaly, and if it doesn't spawn one the chance of getting an anomaly on the next scan is increased by 0,5%. Presumably this stacks until it finds an anomaly and then resets the bonus. I can't imagine the 10% bonus from opening the Discovery tree is additive since that would triple the anomaly discovery rate and make both it and the Meticulous trait overpowered, so I assume it works multiplicatively and increases the chance of finding an anomaly to 5,5%, though I don't know whether it would also increase the failing bonus to 0,55%, not that it's a huge deal either way.

Of course when you're scanning hundreds and hundreds of planets it adds up, especially if the RNG is on your side and gives you a really nice find, but in the big picture I don't see how the benefits from +10% anomaly spawn chance is a bigger deal than many of the other bonuses. The effects of the extra anomalies can be permanent of course depending on what you find, but so can an early head start from some of the other bonuses be.

*Edit*
I guess it being additive wouldn't triple the discovery rate as such since presumably it wouldn't affect the % increase from failing, but it would still be a massive increase, and I'm pretty sure at least the +anomaly spawn chance from science ships, scientists and curator tech is multiplicative since otherwise you could later on end up with a close to 100% anomaly find chance. This being Paradox though I can't totally rule out that some bonuses are additive and some multiplicative without any way to tell which is which, since that's kind of a thing of theirs :v:
I did some math:

Completely unmodified you're going to get an anomaly once every ~11.274 scans, or a mean ~9.25% chance per scan. If Discovery just increases the base chance by 20% (it's 20% not 10%, Map the Stars and Meticulous are the 10% ones) to 6% that's 1 anomaly every ~10.39 scans, or a mean ~9.63% chance per scan, an actual increase of only ~8.55% total anomalies found. Add in MtS and you jump to a 12.91% increase. If we assume that the modifier also applies to the odds smoothing mechanism it jumps to a ~13.63% increase in total anomalies found for Discovery alone, and 20.28% for MtS + Discovery. Still not what's advertised but better.

Taking the worst case scenario of no smoothing boost on someone already using MtS and scanning with a Meticulous scientist, you're looking at a net ~8.08% more anomalies in your local systems if you grab Discovery ASAP before exploring (~108.55% from MtS + Meticulous vs ~117.32% for all three). Whether this is more strategically beneficial than other openers is left to the opinion of the reader. In my opinion 0.08% less anomalies would be too much less anomalies :cry:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

I did some math:

Completely unmodified you're going to get an anomaly once every ~11.274 scans, or a mean ~9.25% chance per scan. If Discovery just increases the base chance by 20% (it's 20% not 10%, Map the Stars and Meticulous are the 10% ones) to 6% that's 1 anomaly every ~10.39 scans, or a mean ~9.63% chance per scan, an actual increase of only ~8.55% total anomalies found. Add in MtS and you jump to a 12.91% increase. If we assume that the modifier also applies to the odds smoothing mechanism it jumps to a ~13.63% increase in total anomalies found for Discovery alone, and 20.28% for MtS + Discovery. Still not what's advertised but better.

Taking the worst case scenario of no smoothing boost on someone already using MtS and scanning with a Meticulous scientist, you're looking at a net ~8.08% more anomalies in your local systems if you grab Discovery ASAP before exploring (~108.55% from MtS + Meticulous vs ~117.32% for all three). Whether this is more strategically beneficial than other openers is left to the opinion of the reader. In my opinion 0.08% less anomalies would be too much less anomalies :cry:

You're right, it's 20%, not sure why I thought it was 10% since I almost always open Discovery first (though because I beeline for the Unity boost from tech). That does make it much better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

You're right, it's 20%, not sure why I thought it was 10% since I almost always open Discovery first (though because I beeline for the Unity boost from tech). That does make it much better.
For me it's not the quantity, it's that there's anomalies I'm not getting that I could be getting! The number is irrelevant. Anomalies aren't something you can catch up on. Taking the expansion tree later rather than sooner just means filling your colonies took longer. Taking the Discovery tree later rather than sooner means there were anomalies that could have existed but didn't, and there's no way to get them back!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
8% more anomaly chance means 8% more anomalies closer to my starting system where I can actually benefit from them. At worst it's a system closer so I can grab it a year earlier, but it could also be one of those game changing events like a terraformed planet or a sick cruiser to rush my neighbor.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I just humiliated the awoken empire that got all mad from me becoming a robot. Will they go nuts again if i colonize that gaia world they love so much within my territory? I figure they already hate me so who cares, thanks for the technology idiots.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eltoasto posted:

I just humiliated the awoken empire that got all mad from me becoming a robot. Will they go nuts again if i colonize that gaia world they love so much within my territory? I figure they already hate me so who cares, thanks for the technology idiots.
If you already beat them once, then second time will be easier so I say go for it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have synths but they are not happy because they don't have utopian abundance. I'm fanatic egitarian for that sweet consumer goods reduction but all my synths seem stuck at consuming 1 goods with no happiness buff.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Eltoasto posted:

I'm pretty sure if you colonise a holy world they'll declare war on you every 10 years until you wipe them out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I don't know if it's part of Distant Stars but I've been getting techs from anomalies much more often, including the stranded scientist event for 1 rare and one normal tech, which has been an immense help early game. Defense grid super computers 12 years into the game? TRY TO WARDEC ME NOW, ASSHOLES!

Now something else: I'm running the beta patch of course and I'm wondering if I missed something in the patch notes. Did they add ticking war exhaustion? I'm noticing now that in both offensive and defensive wars (as a Driven Assimilator), whether its my only war or not, that often we'll both be up into double digits war exhaustion by way of increasing attrition before the first battle has been joined. What's up with that?

Next: I was devouring a neighbor when their rival decided to jump in and declare war for their piece, too. At one point, I was attacking a station (a citadel while I had at best cruisers, so it took a while) and when it was at about 25% health the other guys warped in and started shooting at it too. When it went down, they got occupation of the system rather than control transferring to me! Horse poo poo. :mad: There was no planet in system that the other guys had already taken and then lost control of the starbase again. Does their having claims take precedence over my total war?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, I'm running the beta patch and it's going okay. Sure, my neighbor seems to have been some sort of advanced start devouring swarm but I was able to make the choke point be a nice choice between black hole with heavily fortified starbase and Literally The Ether Drake so I should be safe from them for a while.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Whoops, just annoyed the robot caretakers when I loaded my save and forgot they warned me not to colonize. Need some warning popups!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wow, so I guess the L-Cluster doesn't scale with the habitable planet slider, huh? I'm playing a 25% game and the cluster I unlocked nearly doubled my empire's planet count.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

isndl posted:

Whoops, just annoyed the robot caretakers when I loaded my save and forgot they warned me not to colonize. Need some warning popups!

You'd think that sort of thing would be added to the situation log.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Bloodly posted:

It is, or at least it did when I got that event a couple weeks back

isndl
May 2, 2012

Bloodly posted:

It is, though it doesn't give any indication of time frames. The 'you should colonize a planet' mission doesn't either (also you guys might want to pick a planet that isn't 15% habitability for my only species, thanks robots).

I simply forgot about the warning because it's extremely forgettable and I'm in the midgame stretch where nothing's happening. :shrug:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It sure is cute when everyone opens their borders to me after a game's worth of insults and preemptive wars.

Oh, you think I'm gonna come save you from the big bad Khan? :allears:

I have a much better idea, I'm gonna use this travel freedom to go poke all the wormhole isolated systems in your guy's borders and see what happens!!

Arrath fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 9, 2018

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It took me losing two Iron Man games in a row to realize that L-gates are basically end-game content. I thought I could handle poking around in the early game to see what it was, but I was wrong. Then I thought I could take all the wandering fleets in the mid-game, which I more or less could, but then discovered that I'd need to defeat a system with a combined fleet size of 240k at the same time. Nope. There really ought to be a better warning of the scale of the thing. Also, I don't care what the event said, those fleets had no problem targeting me immediately via my L-gate. My empire and my federation buddy looked like swiss cheese, while all the fanatic purifiers and democratic crusaders on our borders were left untouched.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arrath posted:

I don't know if it's part of Distant Stars but I've been getting techs from anomalies much more often, including the stranded scientist event for 1 rare and one normal tech, which has been an immense help early game. Defense grid super computers 12 years into the game? TRY TO WARDEC ME NOW, ASSHOLES!

Now something else: I'm running the beta patch of course and I'm wondering if I missed something in the patch notes. Did they add ticking war exhaustion? I'm noticing now that in both offensive and defensive wars (as a Driven Assimilator), whether its my only war or not, that often we'll both be up into double digits war exhaustion by way of increasing attrition before the first battle has been joined. What's up with that?

Next: I was devouring a neighbor when their rival decided to jump in and declare war for their piece, too. At one point, I was attacking a station (a citadel while I had at best cruisers, so it took a while) and when it was at about 25% health the other guys warped in and started shooting at it too. When it went down, they got occupation of the system rather than control transferring to me! Horse poo poo. :mad: There was no planet in system that the other guys had already taken and then lost control of the starbase again. Does their having claims take precedence over my total war?

Ticking war exhaustion has been in since 2.0