Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SimonCat posted:

He should probably just kill himself, he's got nothing to contribute to society.

Ehhh, plenty of places need people to flip burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
John Lasseter to leave Disney

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/john-lasseter-leaves-disney.html

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Tarantino is also rumored to be trying to involve Polanski in some capacity :lol:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Is he making a Gross Dudes Shared Universe?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Is he making a Gross Dudes Shared Universe?

Still plugging away at the podophiliaverse last I checked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I don't think there's anything related sexually to Tom Sizemore that could surprise me.

What if you found out he only did it in the missionary position once a year while in a regular, consenting, functional relationship?

Goddamit Emile Hirsch.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Looking up Emil Hirsch on IMDB, I see that he has a role in Trollhunters (A Del Toro project). With Del Toro's support of Polanski too, it seems like he is perfectly fine with ignoring people's lovely behavior.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tarantino is also rumored to be trying to involve Polanski in some capacity :lol:

I thought this turned out to just be casting someone as Polanski, given his tangential involvement in the Manson murders.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I thought this turned out to just be casting someone as Polanski, given his tangential involvement in the Manson murders.

I’m pretty sure having your wife and unborn child murdered makes you a little more than tangentially involved.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I’m pretty sure having your wife and unborn child murdered makes you a little more than tangentially involved.

Yeah, okay.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Ehhh, plenty of places need people to flip burgers.

show some respect 2 people doin minimum wage jobs...smh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Coffee And Pie posted:

this is only ok if he's trying to trick Polanski into coming back to Cali to shoot something under dead of night and then hands him over to the police

if this whole thing is an LAPD setup to capture Roman Polanski i will buy fifty tickets to this movie

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tarantino makes a movie that exclusively hires infamous Hollywood abusers and sex offenders. It’s all a plot to lure them into a room wired with explosives.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

That's hardly a Mike Judge exclusive delusion. Liberals to this day and probably in this thread also blame the dumb poors for Trump's election. It really is remarkable how a few thousand white unemployed factory workers in the Rust Belt get all the blame rather than the usual Republican constituency which numbers in the tens of millions, I guess because Democrats have for some bizarre reason decided that the latter group is more likely to vote for them.

In a more subforum-relevant albeit still technically off-topic note, when I watched Idiocracy I missed the opening prologue that explained how dumb poor overbreeding ruined the country, and started off with the main character waking up in the dystopian future. Consequently, I thought the reason everyone was so dumb was because of several hundred years of pointless counterproductive corporate brainwashing. Every other scene someone says or does something stupid solely because a corporation gives them money to do so, but the breeding thing isn't referenced again until the ending. Really improves the reading of the movie there I'll tell you what.

Three loving cheers for Weinstein getting arrested by the way. I'm still amazed that actually ended up happening.

I wonder how much of that stuff is overemphasized by the narration. The movie isn't perfect but the narration is really bad, especially when it's playing over scenes that would probably move the story forward just fine (but using actual jokes instead of exposition.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hat Thoughts posted:

show some respect 2 people doin minimum wage jobs...smh

Around me burger flipper pays more starting than day care worker. Which is insane when you think about how much parents pay to send their kids to be taken care of by a stranger all day.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

this is only ok if he's trying to trick Polanski into coming back to Cali to shoot something under dead of night and then hands him over to the police

Roman Polanski shows up for his first day of shooting only for Chris Hansen to step out from behind a curtain and tell him to take a seat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I wonder how much of that stuff is overemphasized by the narration. The movie isn't perfect but the narration is really bad, especially when it's playing over scenes that would probably move the story forward just fine (but using actual jokes instead of exposition.)

The narration, I believe, was added to cover for the scenes they were unable to finish because Fox killed their budget.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1005846102799802368

Problem solved!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This had to actually be codified? Jesus Christ.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Timby posted:

This had to actually be codified? Jesus Christ.

It's not actually saying "We no longer allow filmmakers to demand sex in return for parts." It's just saying that SAG-AFTRA will be limiting the ability to conduct auditions in homes or hotel rooms, a likely area for this to occur.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Excuse me?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hearty handshakes all around: Tinseltown agrees to turn off the rape spigot. We did it Reddit!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not actually saying "We no longer allow filmmakers to demand sex in return for parts." It's just saying that SAG-AFTRA will be limiting the ability to conduct auditions in homes or hotel rooms, a likely area for this to occur.

yeah this is actually a legitimately good move that will probably genuinely stop at least some sexual assaults. it's probably not going to be taken as such, though, because nobody actually reads articles if the headline tells them it's something bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's a legitimately good move, it's just insane that it took until the middle of 2018 for SAG-AFTRA to actually convince the studios to do something about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

It's a legitimately good move, it's just insane that it took until the middle of 2018 for SAG-AFTRA to actually convince the studios to do something about it.

It's very reminiscent of laws being passed in 2018 that say that police having sex with people in custody is actually sexual assault. Sure that's a good move but it seems horrifying that seemingly didn't come up until now.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's very reminiscent of laws being passed in 2018 that say that police having sex with people in custody is actually sexual assault. Sure that's a good move but it seems horrifying that seemingly didn't come up until now.

Britain is currently going through the fun debate of 'if an undercover police officer spends years deceiving a woman about his true identity and character specifically to spy on her and her friends and fathers a child with her has he committed rape and is he responsible at all for the child?' with the garbage met predictably arguing no to both.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, precisely. Like, again, I'm not arguing that this is not a good move, but it stuns me that it wasn't until 2018 that the unions got it in writing that "no, you actually have to hold auditions at a studio or in a meeting room, not your loving hotel room." It's like how Madison's police department continues to oppose its officers wearing body cameras while the jail is packed with people on weed charges, like, "What the gently caress is wrong with you?"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Again, I feel like you should go look at what they're actually doing. This isn't just them saying "don't gently caress your auditioners," it's them banning auditions in homes and hotels, even if no sexual assault occurs, to make it less likely that anyone will try casting couch bullshit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doesn't virtually every Weinstein story take place in a hotel?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s that story where he came on a plant in a restaurant

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In all honesty who hasn't had sexual intercourse with a plant at least one point in their lives.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know Adrienne Barbeau definitely did, at least.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Again, I feel like you should go look at what they're actually doing. This isn't just them saying "don't gently caress your auditioners," it's them banning auditions in homes and hotels, even if no sexual assault occurs, to make it less likely that anyone will try casting couch bullshit.

Yeah, I read it. That they're just now considering banning something so obviously unseemly is a little jarring, to say the least.

Timby posted:

like, "What the gently caress is wrong with you?"

Exactly. From a legal standpoint: what the gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do think there's been some instances where auditioning someone at your house hasn't been a ploy, like when filmmakers want to cast their friends and just invite them over for a quick audition just to make sure. On the other hand, I'm not sure Harvey Weinstein actually had any friends who weren't fellow rapists.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, I'm gonna say the longevity of the practice is just 50% lazy upper-middle class poo poo/nepotism and the other 50% is a veiled ploy to 'seduce' someone.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Catfishenfuego posted:

Britain is currently going through the fun debate of 'if an undercover police officer spends years deceiving a woman about his true identity and character specifically to spy on her and her friends and fathers a child with her has he committed rape and is he responsible at all for the child?' with the garbage met predictably arguing no to both.

I dunno, the cop is definitely responsible for the child, but ultimately the other person did consent even if they didn't have all the facts. You can't retroactively retract consent just because you found out something you didn't like about a person. It'd be like someone trying to claim rape because they found out their sexual partner was trans.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, the cop is definitely responsible for the child, but ultimately the other person did consent even if they didn't have all the facts. You can't retroactively retract consent just because you found out something you didn't like about a person.

I think you can if that person actively lied about the facts.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 11, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

I think you can if that person actively lied about the facts.

:same:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, the cop is definitely responsible for the child, but ultimately the other person did consent even if they didn't have all the facts. You can't retroactively retract consent just because you found out something you didn't like about a person. It'd be like someone trying to claim rape because their partner was trans and deliberately lied about it for years.

It's still a bad comparison, but less bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like there should be a blanket ban of police reenacting telenovela plots.