Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Princeps32 posted:

sidebar i forgot how good daily mail/staircase were, they’re really good

They are good, though I'm glad they were take off the album proper, cause they don't fit at all. Sort of a different situation to the cut tracks from AMSP that you can just stick into the album alphabetically like the rest of the songs titles and they feel like they were always there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

From the Basement is pretty decent, I'd say, but there's a little too much loving around in the background between takes for my liking and the track order just doesn't work for me.
I agree about the loving around but I have a mix that removes all the spaces for a more album-like experience. There's one on Youtube which is trivially searchable, I dunno if embedding it is kosher in NMD.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Thom Yorke is gonna be fifty this year.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AARO posted:

Thom Yorke is gonna be fifty this year.
Maybe he's got early onset dementia and that's why he hasn't been able to make any worthwhile music in years

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Maybe he's got early onset dementia and that's why he hasn't been able to make any worthwhile music in years

That's mean :(

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

well that's lovely

just bumping AMSP yesterday still all class

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KoL better tho

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Agreed, though KoL still ain't great

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Agreed, though KoL still ain't great

I love to hang out in threads about bands I don't like. It's not a waste of time.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Saw a load of new posts and thought something interesting had happened but nope, it’s just another round of ‘x album is better than y’. Never change, blessed Radiothread

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AARO posted:

I love to hang out in threads about bands I don't like. It's not a waste of time.
Hey, Radiohead were one of my all time favorite bands!

(keyword "were")

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
(keywords "bad taste")

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Saw a load of new posts and thought something interesting had happened but nope, it’s just another round of ‘x album is better than y’. Never change, blessed Radiothread

What else would it fuckin be?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Were you really expecting something interesting to happen in the radiohead thread

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Radiohead.....is good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Radiohead.....is good.
Hail to the Thief certainly is, and it's 15 years old today!

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1005437232990343168

That means it's also been almost 15 years since I first got into Radiohead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

HTTT is Radiohead’s The Life Of Pablo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HD DAD posted:

HTTT is Radiohead’s The Life Of Pablo.
Both being loving excellent albums

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

:same:

I had heard them on the radio but didn’t really pay them much attention (I was 15 at the time), grabbed HTTT at my local library on a whim and spun the poo poo out of it. Next time my family went to the library I grabbed the other Radiohead album they had available—Kid A—and demanded that we listen to it on the car ride back. As the title track was ending, my dad (who had been turning up the CD louder and louder as it played, confused at what he was listening to) asked “uh, when does the music start?”.

And then National Anthem kicked in and nearly blew the speakers.

I think I have more of a soft spot for HTTT than other Radiohead fans because it was my first longform exposure to them, but even I can admit it’s one of their lesser efforts. It’s too much of its time, and has a lot of derision and spite. Which, again, makes sense given the era when it was written and recorded, but Thom is usually above writing a song complaining about a reviewer that didn’t like the show he attended.

Thom put up a 10-track HTTT playlist a few years back that might be worth listening to if you haven’t already:

1. There There
2. The Gloaming
3. Sail To The Moon
4. Sit Down. Stand Up
5. Go To Sleep
6. Where I End And You Begin
7. Scatterbrain
8. 2+2=5
9. Myxomatosis
10. A Wolf At The Door

I’m not a huge fan of this “alternate” version (it’s not very dynamic, sticking 2+2=5 towards the end makes no goddamn sense, and I like Backdrifts too much to leave it off the disc) but it’s a neat way to revisit the album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Post your favorite HTTT songs/performances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ZUQMBD5yI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdnzB_xkERQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpk835d1K7U

lelandjs posted:

:same:

I had heard them on the radio but didn’t really pay them much attention (I was 15 at the time), grabbed HTTT at my local library on a whim and spun the poo poo out of it. Next time my family went to the library I grabbed the other Radiohead album they had available—Kid A—and demanded that we listen to it on the car ride back. As the title track was ending, my dad (who had been turning up the CD louder and louder as it played, confused at what he was listening to) asked “uh, when does the music start?”.

And then National Anthem kicked in and nearly blew the speakers.

I think I have more of a soft spot for HTTT than other Radiohead fans because it was my first longform exposure to them, but even I can admit it’s one of their lesser efforts. It’s too much of its time, and has a lot of derision and spite. Which, again, makes sense given the era when it was written and recorded, but Thom is usually above writing a song complaining about a reviewer that didn’t like the show he attended.

Thom put up a 10-track HTTT playlist a few years back that might be worth listening to if you haven’t already:

1. There There
2. The Gloaming
3. Sail To The Moon
4. Sit Down. Stand Up
5. Go To Sleep
6. Where I End And You Begin
7. Scatterbrain
8. 2+2=5
9. Myxomatosis
10. A Wolf At The Door

I’m not a huge fan of this “alternate” version (it’s not very dynamic, sticking 2+2=5 towards the end makes no goddamn sense, and I like Backdrifts too much to leave it off the disc) but it’s a neat way to revisit the album.
My brother had been a fan of theirs for years by the time HTTT came out, but it was my first longform exposure to them as well at age 13. I listened to it over and over again that summer that it came out, then dove backwards through their discography. I think I actually managed to avoid hearing Creep until months after getting into Radiohead. I'd never heard it on the radio growing up or anything.

But yeah, finding Kid A was like a religious experience for me. Listening to it still is.

Even still, HTTT is a top 5 Radiohead album for me. I'd probably say my top 5 are OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, HTTT and In Rainbows (in chronological order).

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 9, 2018

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

lelandjs posted:

Seeing Thom's list awhile ago (and not caring for it) inspired me to make my own on Spotify.

2+2=5
Sit Down
Where I End
Go To Sleep
Sail to the Moon
I Will
Punch Up
Myxomatosis
Scatterbrain
There There
Gagging Order
Wolf at the Door

Post your favorite HTTT songs/performances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9RDfpfxqZQ

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

2+2=5 followed by Sit Down Stand Up remains one of the best 2-song album openers I have ever heard. No joke.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

2+2=5 followed by Sit Down Stand Up remains one of the best 2-song album openers I have ever heard. No joke.

I guess in a world where Lay your Hands on Me and Bad Medicine never existed...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What the gently caress is an anti-masterpiece

HTTT is incredible. I'm not as big a fan of the bloopies and beepies in Radiohead and like more straight rock, so HTTT (and In-Rainbows and OK Computer and The Bends) definitely has a special place in my heart. There There live is the best.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Where I End And You Begin is the best Talk Talk song never made.

...it’s also in my top five RH songs ever.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I’m a lot of ways New Jersey is Bon Jovi’s Amnesiac. It takes you on a crazy little journey to a place you’ve never been before.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I was 14 when HTTT came out and I saw the music video for There There on like Vh1 and thought "what the hell is this, this sucks, radiohead is the lamest poo poo ever"

then by the time In Rainbows dropped I was in college and became a huge fan and now There There is one of my favorite songs ever, by anyone

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I think I’m a lot of ways New Jersey is Bon Jovi’s Amnesiac. It takes you on a crazy little journey to a place you’ve never been before.

:hmmyes:

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

https://youtu.be/A3yZtPJOdXE?t=16m48s

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Backdrifts is the best song on the album, so any list that actually removes it is pretty bad, in my opinion.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Pretty sure I almost left this planet when I heard wolf at the door live

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

A human heart posted:

Were you really expecting something interesting to happen in the radiohead thread

Well these days a flood of new posts immediately makes me think suicide or sex monster stuff

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pararoid posted:

Backdrifts is the best song on the album, so any list that actually removes it is pretty bad, in my opinion.

Backdrifts ranks very highly for me but I think Where I End edges it out.

The Gloaming and We Suck Young Blood are probably my most frequently skipped tracks on the album and they’re back to back too. Take those and Punchup off the album and HTTT would probably end up my third favorite Radiohead album.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Well these days a flood of new posts immediately makes me think suicide or sex monster stuff

ugh same

there there live ten feet from the stage was a near-religious experience. httt would have benefitted from losing some mediocre tracks but also has some of their GOAT material

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HTTT owns.

That is all.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Radiohead has been my favourite band since The Bends came out in 1995 when I was 12. I knew what was going to be on all the future albums because I would get bootleg copies of all their concerts back when they used to play unreleased songs before they came out. My anticipation for In Limbo was almost diabolical. I would have done anything for the studio version of that song to come out 1 day earlier.

Still my favorite band. That's my Radiohead story thanks for listening.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

AARO posted:

Radiohead has been my favourite band since The Bends came out in 1995 when I was 12. I knew what was going to be on all the future albums because I would get bootleg copies of all their concerts back when they used to play unreleased songs before they came out. My anticipation for In Limbo was almost diabolical. I would have done anything for the studio version of that song to come out 1 day earlier.

Still my favorite band. That's my Radiohead story thanks for listening.

I didn’t actually get into Radiohead until HTTT, so In Rainbows was my first release that I had active anticipation for. I had that tentative “LP7” playlist of live songs played during the ‘06 tour. Oddly enough, Bangers and Mash was one of the ones I was really hyped for. I was pretty disappointed when it didn’t make the final album, and had to wait another two or so months until it appeared on the second disc. Imagine my surprise when I finally got my hands on the studio version, and that straight forward rocker had turned into a funkified tape-loop dance party. I ended up loving it even more, and kept thinking they should just make an entire album like this - groovy beats and loops and kinda nonsensical.

This is the story of how TKOL is still my number one.

TVC
May 10, 2018

by Lowtax
I think Daydreaming is the best song they've ever done. Fight me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TVC posted:

I think Daydreaming is the best song they've ever done. Fight me.

It's definitely up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

It's definitely up there.

I usually skip it.