Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I did a mountaineering course in school earlier this year. Wrote a complete guide on climbing Mt. Robson here in Canada as the class project and my prof gave me 100% on it. Guess I'm ready for Everest.

JK I would honestly die.

Ah you'll probably be fine you should do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You should post on SA while you asphyxiate climb

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
In two months I'm going to try Elbrus :O

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Decided last month so I have three months to prepare

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

LastCaress posted:

In two months I'm going to try Elbrus :O

I am going to google mars right now and am going to climb Olympus Mons. Absolutely no training at all. :colbert:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

ZombieLenin posted:

I am going to google mars right now and am going to climb Olympus Mons. Absolutely no training at all. :colbert:

If you don't dust-surf back down, I'll consider you a pussy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Parasail off the six‐thousand‐metre cliffs.

What would a parasail suitable for the Martian atmosphere look like?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 9, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The atmosphere is a lot thinner, so it would have to be really huge.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hiking Olympus Mons is also walking what more or less is flat ground. A boring hike.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hiking Olympus Mons is also walking what more or less is flat ground. A boring hike.

But will I freeze to death in the middle of it?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

But will I freeze to death in the middle of it?

https://twitter.com/MarsWxReport/status/1005242339944693761

Maybe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Then it is the greatest athletic feat imaginable.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

It doesn’t count if you have to use supplementary oxygen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HMS Beagle posted:

It doesn’t count if you have to use supplementary oxygen.

To be fair, you need supplemental oxygen at sea level.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

To be fair, you need supplemental oxygen at sea level.

Maybe YOU need supplemental oxygen at sea level, but I'm in super good shape. I go to the rock climbing gym twice a week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe YOU need supplemental oxygen at sea level, but I'm in super good shape. I go to the rock climbing gym twice a week.

A pressurized rock climbing gym?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Yeah but the thin atmosphere saps body heat much less effectively.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 11, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but the thing atmosphere saps body heat much less effectively.

Green Spacesuit Boots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, to be the first corpse on Olympus Mons.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Caf posted:

^^I should refresh a thread before posting.

The lead climber is placing gear as they go so there isn't a fixed belay but the rope is still clipped into protective gear in between both climbers. When they get to the next anchor the lead will wait for the other climber to catch up (picking up the gear as they go) and then they will either swap the gear or trade places for the next pitch.

Also there is a climbing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567

Sounds like the guys might have been overconfident and weren't placing anchors like they should have been, so it kinda fits this thread of people doing dumb poo poo and dying

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Witness-to-death-plunge-of-2-climbers-on-El-12982924.php?t=35f789961d

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That reporter's description of climbing reminds me of the classic Shatner

http://screencrush.com/william-shatner-mountain-sex-interview/

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Elbrus is cool, I actually have a lot of experience trekking high mountains.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

i regret nothing

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

The real challenge is being the first to circumnavigate the base.

Speaking of which, here is an article about the horrifying crisis of toxic dust around the Salton Sea causing untold misery for nearby residents, featuring a brief detour with this misery chaser:

Dust Rising posted:

Randy Brown became the first person to walk the perimeter of the Salton Sea after deciding that hiking through Death Valley wasn’t enough of a challenge. “Anybody can walk across Death Valley in the summer,” he tells me. The Salton Sea was another matter: a Death Valley walker had attempted something similar in 2005, but settled for walking the nearby highway. And for good reason.

Temperatures around the Salton Sea can climb to over 120 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer — in 1902, the nearby town of Volcano set an all-time US heat record for the month of June: 129. Humidity from the evaporating sea can make the air feel closer to 150 degrees. The earth here is gassy and, combined with the massive bacterial colonies that live in the water, can create a suffocating potpourri.

The sea’s northern shore is covered in deep banks of dead barnacle shells and pulverized fish carcasses. “The best I can describe it as is like trying to walk through snow,” Brown says. Other parts of the shore are covered in mud and silt so fine it resembles quicksand. Brown remembers his dad telling him stories of duck hunters dying here of exposure, sinking deeper into the mud as they struggled to pull themselves out.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Jeez, survive an everest nightmare, die climbing some stairs

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/mount-everest-climber-who-survived-12784582

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Apparently Nepalese trekking companies and guides are scamming travel insurance companies into paying for unnecessary helicopter rescues.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unnecessary-rescues-soar-nepal-profits-insurance-payouts-034651607.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
In less than a month I'll try and summit Elbrus :D Not as dangerous as Everest, obviously, but still a challenge. Last month I was in Nepal, and this is why people climb :

Sure, there's some danger, but it's so beautiful...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

LastCaress posted:

In less than a month I'll try and summit Elbrus :D Not as dangerous as Everest, obviously, but still a challenge. Last month I was in Nepal, and this is why people climb :

Thanks for sharing that picture. Holy cow.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

LastCaress posted:

Looks great from there, not sure about the view from under an avalanche, the bottom of a crevass, or in a snow storm being blown off a cliff.. but yes, that view there is beautiful

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

LastCaress posted:

Yeah, I see that and I think... “here people go to die.”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This Mountain kills the bourgeois.

and the sherpa, sadly

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the sherpa are the bourgeois of nepal so its cool

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the sherpa are the bourgeois of nepal so its cool

I do not think the CPNMC would agree with that statement.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Remembering the scene in the Sherpa movie where the actual bourgeois, the Minister of Tourism, is helicoptered in (wearing a suit if I recall) to basically tell the sherpas "what a shame a bunch of your folks just died, but the climbing season is still on, so chop chop!"

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

RIP me. I climbed Mt Katahdin, via the Hunt trail, so obviously I'm ready for 14,000 ft peaks in Colorado, right?

Gonna climb Mt Elbert. Easy hike, if the acclimation doesn't get me.

This insanity will only end when I am frozen to death on Denali.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

RIP me. I climbed Mt Katahdin, via the Hunt trail, so obviously I'm ready for 14,000 ft peaks in Colorado, right?

Gonna climb Mt Elbert. Easy hike, if the acclimation doesn't get me.

This insanity will only end when I am frozen to death on Denali.

Try to die in an interesting position, so future generations can tell each other "When you pass the guy who died taking a poo poo, you're 2/3rds of the way to the top."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I recommend wearing some brightly colored gear, too. It's easier to remember Neon Yellow Hat than Some Random Goon's Name.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Haifisch posted:

I recommend wearing some brightly colored gear, too. It's easier to remember Neon Yellow Hat than Some Random Goon's Name.

"OSHA Yellow Jacket" it is then.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My goal is to die in my best goatse spread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jesus Christ :stonk:

Polish Daredevil Becomes First Person To Ski Down From The Summit Of K2
https://deadspin.com/polish-daredevil-becomes-first-person-to-ski-down-from-1827831917