Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Basscop posted:

Ask Lefkandi, Gareb, Uriah and Jobe.

Crazycryodude posted:

Officially voting to wonder just why the gently caress do things fall down?
This falls under the "no bronze age steam engines" things. You can't just decide to suddenly have profound questions about the nature of reality.

Magnusth posted:

Ishamal, whenever i do things, weather with the water of my well or with my body, the more i do - the more i move or throw, the more fire i create, the higher i lift a thing - the more effort or water it takes. Why is it that hardening, then, always takes the same amount of water, no matter what i harden against?
"That is not part of the lessons" he says. This is not surprising. While "on-screen" this has not been asked about much if ever, the why and what of your abilities is something that Ishamal has been steadfastly silent upon for as long as you've been learning from him. Even if he is more open about other topics, his willingness to talk about this has not changed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Magnusth posted:

Ishamal, whenever i do things, weather with the water of my well or with my body, the more i do - the more i move or throw, the more fire i create, the higher i lift a thing - the more effort or water it takes. Why is it that hardening, then, always takes the same amount of water, no matter what i harden against? why is it not affected by how much damage i protect myself form, the same way the cost of creating fire is affected by the amount of fire i create?

My guess would be that we are rendering our body impervious. Our body is a fixed volume of matter so it’s like on/off rather than a proportional response to outside stimulus. We’re not mitigating a variable force against us. We’re mitigating ALL force against us and therefore it’s the same every time. Making things happen to matter outside our body is proportional to what we’re doing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Officially voting to wonder just why the hell we saw that hypersonic rock hit Gebek before we heard it hit Gebek. That was really weird, and a thing we noticed, I wonder why that happened?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Basscop got me curious about this arrow idea.

Diog: As a minor action, can we try painting one of our Bronze Arrows so that it looks even more like a normal arrow?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

the_steve posted:

Basscop got me curious about this arrow idea.

Diog: As a minor action, can we try painting one of our Bronze Arrows so that it looks even more like a normal arrow?

Unless Gareb developed Blooded Paint, I doubt it would work.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Blasphemaster posted:

I would not at all be surprised if Gareb had done that. And now that you mention it I am really curious how he does it, if he has.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

My personal pet theory on why blooded bronze arrows outperform wooden arrows has to do with the Holy Metal idea, kind of like what Exalted does. In Exalted (for those of you unfamiliar with the Whitewolf RPG), different factions align with different magical metals. Solars use Orichalcum, Lunars Quicksilver, etc. To that end, Blooded Bronze is El's metal of choice. Fare might have drawn the Iron choice, Asherah I guess gets shells and sharkteeth.

So because BB is the holy metal, it gets imparted bonus properties intrinsically, along with the form/function properties that have been previously observed (woodgrain on arrows, etc)

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

mercenarynuker posted:

My personal pet theory on why blooded bronze arrows outperform wooden arrows has to do with the Holy Metal idea, kind of like what Exalted does. In Exalted (for those of you unfamiliar with the Whitewolf RPG), different factions align with different magical metals. Solars use Orichalcum, Lunars Quicksilver, etc. To that end, Blooded Bronze is El's metal of choice. Fare might have drawn the Iron choice, Asherah I guess gets shells and sharkteeth.

So because BB is the holy metal, it gets imparted bonus properties intrinsically, along with the form/function properties that have been previously observed (woodgrain on arrows, etc)

Then how do you explain our useless bow?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Diogines posted:

This falls under the "no bronze age steam engines" things. You can't just decide to suddenly have profound questions about the nature of reality.

My next vote will be to get high and ask all these questions. You can't tell me that these questions would not be asked when we're stoned as gently caress.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

If only we'd had, like... a guidebook in how to ask interesting and profound questions. Like a scroll perhaps, that could guide our, well, our inquiry.
Sigh. That will never happen.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Blasphemaster posted:

Blooded paint is the easiest thing to develop.

If you like red.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Crazycryodude posted:

Officially voting to wonder just why the hell we saw that hypersonic rock hit Gebek before we heard it hit Gebek. That was really weird, and a thing we noticed, I wonder why that happened?
Seconding this vote.

Magnusth posted:

If only we'd had, like... a guidebook in how to ask interesting and profound questions. Like a scroll perhaps, that could guide our, well, our inquiry.
Sigh. That will never happen.
Given that the Melachim said one of the major factors in them protecting us from Amok after stealing his scrolls was that we used our one wish to help the Gebebans, I think if we'd made that choice we'd probably be dead.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I bet Diog is kind of excited to write a new setting for once. There'll be lots of interesting things to explore in the grasslands.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Magnusth posted:

Ishamal, whenever i do things, weather with the water of my well or with my body, the more i do - the more i move or throw, the more fire i create, the higher i lift a thing - the more effort or water it takes. Why is it that hardening, then, always takes the same amount of water, no matter what i harden against? why is it not affected by how much damage i protect myself form, the same way the cost of creating fire is affected by the amount of fire i create?

Maybe it costs the same because we're so inefficient that our well that the hardening control is a OFF-GODMODE switch rather than a dial.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

There Bias Two posted:

I bet Diog is kind of excited to write a new setting for once. There'll be lots of interesting things to explore in the grasslands.

He’s dusting off the Kadmonim spiral notebook. Going through it and putting those little post it notes sticking out for quick reference. And in 3 weeks when we vote to go home because Snarls sneezed and we got worried, he’ll sigh and place it back on the shelf next to Athar, Marduk, Mushroom Cave, Monsters of the South....

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zodiac5000 posted:

Oh God you were serious that the society ruled by complete religious fear and rigorous culling was a potential moral equal. Jesus. It was literally a prison camp, ruled by fear, and you're calling it ok because they had easy access to fish. Holy poo poo.

Not exactly. I'm saying that from a fishman perspective, a giants perspective, or a lizardman sandwiches perspective Urians are monsters. Monsters that just kill and kill and kill for no reason at all. They are justified in coming over here and attacking us for exactly the same reasons we're justified in going out to the 'wilderness' and attacking them.

After exterminating all the monsters within many miles of zepath we shouldn't be surprised when the monsters try to exterminate us. They are just defending themselves.

Diogines posted:

Do you happen to remember Gebeb?

Yeah, Gebeb is crueler to the cattle than Athar. Though it would be perfectly legal for a donut douche-bag to lock a slave in a hanging cage to starve to death. He might get frowny faces for it, but it wouldn't be illegal. In this metaphor Giants would be equivalent to Blooded men, and gebian humans would be equivalent to donut slaves.

Life sucks for humans in Gebeb. Life sucks for most humans in most of Ur too.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Diogines posted:

We did not just decide to suddenly have profound questions about the nature of reality.

While asking Ish a question we tried to make a metaphor regarding using our well to frame the question and used the simplest thing we could think of: Lifting up a rock. At this point we realised our metaphor didn't really work because it wasn't the same as our well because there wasn't anything pushing the rock down but when we use our we'll to move things we're... Wait... Hangon, why do rocks fall down anyway?

We didn't suddenly decide to question reality. You made Enkidel organically have a profound question about the nature of reality while he was trying to do something totally unrelated.

So: Ish, why the gently caress to things fall down?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Things fall down because El wills it so obviously.

To make a flying machine, we just need to trick it, the sky, and El into believing it should be able to fly.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Magnusth posted:

Z the IVth posted:

Maybe it costs the same because we're so inefficient that our well that the hardening control is a OFF-GODMODE switch rather than a dial.

When we were falling after the eagle arrow incident, we decided to harden as we landed, and it was described thusly:

Diogines posted:

At the last possible moment you summon as an act of will that this is your body and refuse to permit it to change. Falling from a great height, you make impact.

It seems like we just refuse any changes at all to our physical from, and either there's a change to refuse or there isn't, thus it either costs or doesn't cost, but the magnitude of the change resisted isn't a factor.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Olothreutes posted:

When we were falling after the eagle arrow incident, we decided to harden as we landed, and it was described thusly:

It seems like we just refuse any changes at all to our physical from, and either there's a change to refuse or there isn't, thus it either costs or doesn't cost, but the magnitude of the change resisted isn't a factor.

We just want to turn off kinetic damage, but instead we just switch off physics entirely.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Basscop posted:

Then how do you explain our useless bow?

Easy, we can't make a magical regular bow, why would we expect to be able to make an artifact level one, especially without any orbs to huck into it

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

We did not just decide to suddenly have profound questions about the nature of reality.

While asking Ish a question we tried to make a metaphor regarding using our well to frame the question and used the simplest thing we could think of: Lifting up a rock. At this point we realised our metaphor didn't really work because it wasn't the same as our well because there wasn't anything pushing the rock down but when we use our we'll to move things we're... Wait... Hangon, why do rocks fall down anyway?

We didn't suddenly decide to question reality. You made Enkidel organically have a profound question about the nature of reality while he was trying to do something totally unrelated.

So: Ish, why the gently caress to things fall down?
It has to occur to Enkidel that there is a reason things fall. For most of human history this was not a question most considered. You can't decide when you have a profound realization of this sort any more than you can just start inventing things that you as a Goon know how to build. Sometimes Enkidel has had or may have a profound revelation, or people around him, but you can't just decide to have one by justifying the requisite circumstances leading up to it.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Diogines posted:

It has to occur to Enkidel that there is a reason things fall. For most of human history this was not a question most considered. You can't decide when you have a profound realization of this sort any more than you can just start inventing things that you as a Goon know how to build. Sometimes Enkidel has had or may have a profound revelation, or people around him, but you can't just decide to have one by justifying the requisite circumstances leading up to it.

Are there apple trees in the gardens?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Yes.

Also, the update is pushed back to tomorrow in the earlier part of the day.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Clearly, the more Enkidel tries to fly, the more he will learn about gravity and physics. Or El.

"When I send my wings into Immelmann rolls over the terrain of Zepath when I pull my artifact bow's string when my sight is made transcendent by the power of nepesh when I feel the throbbing beat of my wings ejaculate themselves into my spine and I engage in intimate congress 10,000 meters above the curve of the world: Yea, I shall say it! I am communing with El, and who are ye to gainsay it?"

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Diogines posted:

Yes.

Also, the update is pushed back to tomorrow in the earlier part of the day.

loving gravity man.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

If only there was a place that could teach us about things like this, if only there was some city that had an institution full of smart people we could learn from.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Diogines posted:

I'm not justifying anything, I'm pointing out that you made Og have that realization. You made us repeatedly reframe a simple metaphor that Og was trying to make to ask a question about his well. We/Og realised it was somewhat impossible to frame that metaphor in a way Og could articulate, at which point it became apparent to Og that was a question he needed to ask. We weren't even trying to ask 'why do things fall down?', it happened organically the way profound realizations happen.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

I'm not justifying anything, I'm pointing out that you made Og have that realization. You made us repeatedly reframe a simple metaphor that Og was trying to make to ask a question about his well. We/Og realised it was somewhat impossible to frame that metaphor in a way Og could articulate, at which point it became apparent to Og that was a question he needed to ask. We weren't even trying to ask 'why do things fall down?', it happened organically the way profound realizations happen.
Can you link to where Enkidel had such a thought? However it was only a passing thought, not any grand revelation by Enkidel.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 10, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

super sweet best pal posted:

If only there was a place that could teach us about things like this, if only there was some city that had an institution full of smart people we could learn from.

Hahahahaha as loving if. You think even the academy at Baitel can figure out the speed of sound? This is still bronze age as gently caress dude, and even if we did go study there it'd take like 100 years before they started teaching us anything worth a drat, such as how to make weapons of war.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hahahahaha as loving if. You think even the academy at Baitel can figure out the speed of sound? This is still bronze age as gently caress dude, and even if we did go study there it'd take like 100 years before they started teaching us anything worth a drat, such as how to make weapons of war.

"Much thought by many learned scholars has been put into the mystery of why things, when not suspended by some other force or mechanism, fall to the ground. The consensus is that El created all things from dust and clay, and all things ultimately return to the source of their creation. It is known."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hexenritter posted:

"Much thought by many learned scholars has been put into the mystery of why things, when not suspended by some other force or mechanism, fall to the ground. The consensus is that El created all things from dust and clay, and all things ultimately return to the source of their creation. It is known."

"Then why can I eat this clay without pooping it out?"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

There Bias Two posted:

"Then why can I eat this clay without pooping it out?"

"Please step this way into the room of answers, pay no attention to the Enochian on the walls it's not a binding circle"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Diogines posted:

Can you link to where Enkidel had such a thought? However it was only a passing thought, not any grand revelation by Enkidel.

Other posters were struggling to make Enkidel make a pretty simple analogy/metaphor to ask question. You kept telling us to ask it in such a way that a Og would be able to articulate, but it became apparent that Og couldn't articulate that simple thing because that knowledge does not exist in game.

I mean it wasn't Og having that direct thought, but the thought process innocently formed without an attempt to force the issue. Throw us a loving bone here, some of us are doing everything we can to explore this world and we're trapped jacking off in Kavodel ignoring every open door like an agrophobic wizard.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

Throw us a loving bone here, some of us are doing everything we can to explore this world and we're trapped jacking off in Kavodel ignoring every open door like an agrophobic wizard.

We are literally about to travel to the grasslands and see something new.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I wonder if the horsepeoples have ever wondered why things go down

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Poor freckles, thought of gravity and died

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Poor freckles, thought of gravity and died

Maybe gravity only applies to horses in Ur. Hence the inexplicable deaths.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There Bias Two posted:

We are literally about to travel to the grasslands and see something new.

Man I am so excited. I hope we manage to see some cool poo poo and then get involved in an interfactional incident when we try to steal the Kadmonim power source or whatever it is they have. It's gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Man it would be an awesome battle scene of the Hulk(s) vs. the Mongol Horde