Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Holy gently caress Hereditary is a goddamn intense movie

leaving now to go see it

dog don’t care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Joey Freshwater posted:

At a bar and there’s a guy wearing a Muff Diver hat. He’s an OSU fan so not really surprised

Well, we know for sure it's not DJ Khaled :rimshot:

I'm at work for another hour, then I was planning to attempt to clean the windows after we close, but it's like 90 degrees out and I don't want to do it. So that may be a project for an EARLY weekday morning next week. I could just hire someone, but the estimate was like $500 and it won't take more than about an hour for the amount of glass we have and I don't want to pay for it.

Other plans include gym today and yard work tomorrow. I'm also working on building my wife a cutting table for her sewing room, so I've got to go to Home Depot for supplies. Pretty low key.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

D-LINK, whenever you check back let me know what you think about this for small(ish) home projects

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...7Bproductkey%7D

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

father in law and his wife is coming over for lunch as a make-up on his birthday that we missed due to our european vacation
then laundry and house chores
got a birthday party to go to tomorrow, a guy I've hung out with to play boardgames with but this seems to be the start of a "we also do other social stuff besides boardgame night" friendship which is very cool
gonna try to go see Solo this weekend if I can swing it

I started reading "Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants" which is actually a fun and not very technical book written by a steely eyed missile man who spent his career experimenting with rocket fuels, which is exactly as insane and life-threatening as you'd imagine. Forward by Isaac Asimov. It's been out of print for decades but Rutgers University Press finally agreed to reprint it due to popular demand. What books are y'all reading right now?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Petite Dinklage posted:

D-LINK, whenever you check back let me know what you think about this for small(ish) home projects

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...7Bproductkey%7D

I'm not D-LINK but I do frequent the woodworking thread, which advised me about buying my own table saw. The standard advice for table saws is: unless you actually need a portable saw, you are way better off with a non-portable one, because solid stability is important. I got a big heavy Delta that is like 25 years old and in excellent condition off Craigslist for $150. If you are willing to take your time looking on Craigslist you can probably get a lot more saw for your money than buying one new. All that said, that particular DeWalt is fine for a contractor saw.

If you're trying to cut sheet goods it is not gonna work for you because of the small table and no outfeed tables. If you're resawing millcut timber it is not gonna work for the same reasons. If you're just chopping up 2x4s the first saw you want is a miter saw, such as a compound sliding miter (https://www.homedepot.com/s/compound%2520sliding%2520miter%2520saw?NCNI-5). So the real first question is, what do you want to accomplish with your table saw?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 9, 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Up in New Hampshire running around and trying beer from microbreweries. Going to have lunch at a brewpub soon.

Checking out Able Ebenezer? NH has surprisingly decent brewing lately

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think i'd rather have a circular saw than a jobsite table saw, and you can probably fit in a miter saw too for that price. it's probably just me but paying ~$100 for just the stand alone feels asinine. it's good to have something that securely fits the saw but it's basically a folding chair, for a hundred bucks.

If you're doing this as a hobby with a dedicated space then the rigid table saw is good, it's solidly mid-level and repositionable with some foot pedal activated casters.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the $600 Rigid is a decent saw I believe, although also budget another $100+ for a good fence, and some more money for accessories. Or instead spend $300 on craigslist and get a similar saw, with a fence and accessories.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Leperflesh posted:

What books are y'all reading right now?

The Book of Why, by Judea Pearl, about the development of the science of causal inference. Also reading The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Gotta refill on propane today to grill more chicken legs and we're gonna stop by the local wine place since they finished relocating

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Don Quixote but it's super-dense and it's been slow going thus far. I managed to read a new book every month last year and at this rate it'll take me the entire year to get through Quixote.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just ate an awesome tofu bao at a street festival in my neighborhood. Then I got too hot walking around so I’m back home watching an episode of Safe on Netflix. Gonna relax for a bit and take a nap before we go out for crazy party time tonight.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
West by Carys Davies

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami has been sitting on a shelf taunting me for over a year. I need to get cracking on that.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Plans for this weekend are visiting the in-laws in Santa Cruz and trying to keep up with these two (white one is the in-laws 6 month old pup)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought it was going to be hot as balls today but it's actually really mild, like low-mid 70s out. I don't mind my in-laws but I wish they weren't coming over *today*, because I'd have liked to use the weather to do some outside chores and stuff that I know I'm never going to get done when it's like 85+ out, which around here tends to be almost every weekend from june through october.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Went home with some 22 year old. Went skinny dipping at 4 am. Just got done pounding tecate and floating down a river. Now drinking poolside.

I’m loving wrecked I can’t handle this anymore.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Thanks for the saw advice, guys, but I think I found what I need on Craigslist

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kyrie still isn't sure whether the Earth is round or flat.
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1005260389276372992

I need to bookmark this for the next time someone says student athletes don't need to be paid because they get a college education.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
“I’m 94 years old, and in all my time on Earth, the one thing I think I’ve really learned is everything I know doesn’t amount to much, I’ve never really done anything, and the world keeps on turning.” My grandmother is an eerily relatable look at what my future will be, I love visiting her.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Leperflesh posted:

"Look at Me" by Jennifer Egan. Also started reading "The Nix" by Nathan Hill but I'm not sure I'm ready to read cultural musings from the Obama era yet when so much of those conventions have been turned on their head of late.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Leperflesh posted:

I just finished "Head On" by John Scalzi, it's the second book in the "Lock-in" series about people who have a disease called "Hayden Syndrome" which essentially traps them in their mind, and they can remote control robots to have usable bodies.It's a buddy cop thing with a robot / human FBI agent. Both books are pretty good, and very quick / light. I could totally see it being a decent movie or TV series.

Now I'm reading a book called "This book is not for you" by Daniel Hoyt. I don't think it is particularly good, but it is set in Lawrence, KS and it's fun to recognize all the locations.

Last year I read 46 books, I was attempting to read 1 every week but fell a bit short. This year I'm way off that kind of pace, and will be lucky to finish half that many. I kind of have to read for work so I read quite a bit.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Currently reading Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, then White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty or some Joan Didion

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ugh I’m disappointed in Hereditary

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im reading starfish by peter watts. ive been horrible about reading ever since high school when we had to read ethan frome and take a song and change the lyrics to fit it and then perform it (we did "how to save a life" by the fray), but i think im getting better

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Went home with some 22 year old. Went skinny dipping at 4 am. Just got done pounding tecate and floating down a river. Now drinking poolside.

I’m loving wrecked I can’t handle this anymore.

Tecate is a weird name for a girl

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I started reading 100 years of solitude but it's just not clicking for me. I'm sure the prose is fine in the original Spanish but parts of the translation are a slog. I'm about ready to give up on it and move on to something else.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

big lights, big rear end by jen lancaster

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Currently reading Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, then White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty or some Joan Didion

Tell me how Pachinko is, I've had my eye on that, looks interesting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ehud posted:

ugh I’m disappointed in Hereditary

Really? What didn't you like? It was a really intense experience for me. My only complaint is that the ending is a little too clean

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jonahray/status/1005109320785072128

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Really? What didn't you like? It was a really intense experience for me. My only complaint is that the ending is a little too clean

A lot of the scenes intended to be scary came across as hokey to me. The seance where the mom was possessed was silly and cringey, and then at the end where the mom went full on deadite...that belonged in a Sam Raimi movie. Oh and at the end when she floated into the treehouse. I was taken out of the movie over and over because of moments like that that didn’t read as “scary” to me.

I didn’t like the super obvious broadcast that the grief group lady knew her mom. As soon as she made the comment about the doormat I knew that her intentions were not what they appeared to be. Then when she said hey read this incantation I knew exactly where the movie was headed.

By far my biggest complaint was the ending where the lady delivered a bunch of expository dialogue explaining every single detail of what was happening. It felt unnecessary and very cheesy. I kept thinking, “Ugh, they were forced to add this in post after test screenings.

The best parts were the depictions of grief and family drama. Luckily there was a lot of that. When the girl is decapitated in the car, all the way to the casket being lowered into the ground...that was really hard to watch. I had a horrible pit in my stomach because I know what that kind of unexpected grief feels like.

So yeah, I’m disappointed that it had potential to be one of my favorite horror movies in a while but I couldn’t get past these flaws.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

video 2 and three had me laughing my rear end off.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Skwirl posted:

Ask Steranko about punching out Bob Kane.

Totally did this. He was hilarious.

Also got my Nick Fury #4 signed. He was a really cool guy.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

One of the books I've been reading is Nixonland as suggested by this thread.

I've been getting ants in my kitchen for the first time ever in my place. I put out the poison traps in the kitchen, outside, and used something called home defense in and out too. Its been two weeks anything else I should be doing other than just being super clean all the time?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Seeing avengers again.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Juggernaut posted:

One of the books I've been reading is Nixonland as suggested by this thread.

I've been getting ants in my kitchen for the first time ever in my place. I put out the poison traps in the kitchen, outside, and used something called home defense in and out too. Its been two weeks anything else I should be doing other than just being super clean all the time?

One thing I did at my house was make sure no trees/shrubs touched the outside. That helped a bit.

That and having an exterminator spray the outside once a month.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

Seeing avengers again.

For some reason this concerns me more than your one night stand posts

is everything ok

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Probably Magic posted:

Tell me how Pachinko is, I've had my eye on that, looks interesting.

I'm enjoying it a lot! I'm half way through. First attempt didn't take but once they're out of Korea it picks up quite a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

Spoiler stuff.

Yeah I can agree with a lot of that. I feel like the second act was so insanely strong that I can basically forgive a lot of it

Personally though I thought the deadite poo poo was super scary because it all seemed to be practical sfx and had no precedent up to that point so it came off as shocking and weirdly real looking

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 9, 2018