Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I fully expect nothing but generic riffs from stoner doom bands, I listen to them for the guitar tones. I love Sunn O))) because they dont bore you with the same riffs over and over they just go "here is our tone, listen to it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
New Witch Mountain is pretty solid.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

big scary monsters posted:

New Yob is streaming on NPR today ahead of the release for anyone who hasn't heard it yet: https://www.npr.org/2018/05/31/614962551/first-listen-yob-our-raw-heart

I just finished listening to the whole album for the first time. It's real nice.
The 3rd track was not perfect at first listen but it might grow on me.
Otherwise hell yes.

I've been listening to "our raw heart" song quite a bit and in the context of the rest of the album it's even better.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 1, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kvlt! posted:

I fully expect nothing but generic riffs from stoner doom bands, I listen to them for the guitar tones. I love Sunn O))) because they dont bore you with the same riffs over and over they just go "here is our tone, listen to it!"

This except I don't listen to sunn

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I saw Sunn O))) live last year and it was the best gig I’ve ever been to. Their stage presence / show is insanely good.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I saw Sunn O))) live last year and it was the best gig I’ve ever been to. Their stage presence / show is insanely good.

I recommend that almost anyone interested in sound at all goes to at least one Sunn show but almost nobody listens :smith: gently caress, just being interested in your own anatomy is a good enough reason to go.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I recommend that almost anyone interested in sound at all goes to at least one Sunn show but almost nobody listens :smith: gently caress, just being interested in your own anatomy is a good enough reason to go.

Possibly a repost, but related:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/06/28/aclu-demands-sunn-o-end-drone-program/

quote:

SEATTLE – The American Civil Liberties Union filed suit today in King County District Court demanding experimental heavy metal band Sunn O))) end their drone program.

The suit claims the group’s controversial drones now pose a serious threat to the well being of American heavy metal. While many of the specific allegations have yet to be made public, we can report a central complaint of the suit is that Sunn O))) “…are very weird and not even really playing guitar.”

Harvard professor and civilian thrash advocate Patricia Maven believes the suit “…reflects a belief that’s been commonplace in the speed, death and thrash metal communities for many years. Namely, that Sunn O)))’s use of drones is dangerous and a threat to metal being kick rear end.”

Supporters of the suit have come out of the woodwork to support the ACLU. “Look, a lot of people just don’t see the purpose of Sunn O)))’s drone usage. It is confusing and Americans are subjected to it without any due process,” said speed metal fan Terry Lincoln. “I was forced to listen to their ‘music’ for hours, and frankly, I would rather be waterboarded.”

Critics have accused the ACLU of simply not understanding emergent technology. Vape millionaire and SunnO))) rare vinyl investor Mink Darby believes that drones pose no serious threat to a metal scene dominated by conventional riffage and brutality. “Look, drone use is popular in China and in India, and the U.S. risks taking a huge step backwards if we give in to the will of luddite bros who just wanna take off their shirt and mosh their lives away to Slayer on CD,” said Darby. “It’s time to wake up and accept the fact that limited-run vinyl and craft cocktails are the future of extreme music.”

Though the outcome of the case is unclear, one member of the Federal judiciary put into perspective how difficult, and how personal, this issue can be. “I saw Gang Green in 1986,” said Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito. “I got three teeth knocked out in an absolutely brutal pit. And I didn’t do it so some art school jerks could spend their lunch money on old amps and call playing one note for nine minutes a song!”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snowy posted:

Yeah it was insane how well mixed the show was, considering the absolutely insane amount of low-end on display. The vocals also sounded incredible.

A+++ best live band going.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sunn O))) played down here like two years ago when I was in the middle of a move and I still kick myself that I didn't go.

Crossing my fingers that the Boris/Stephen O'Malley set from Roadburn got recorded and comes out this time this year. Then I can just bask in sound the way god intended.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Kvlt! posted:

yeah normally same but Dopethrone has written plenty of memorable songs in the past and I guess I was expecting a bit more this time :shrug:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Even more new Thou holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecIawGSaVBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecIawGSaVBA

ETA: they're putting out three EPs leading up to their new album this year :stare:

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 1, 2018

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Snowy posted:

Yeah it's really one of those "you have to be there" experiences. Sunn O))) are staggering live. I can totally see how the fact they dress as druids, call their performances "rituals" and have reviewers talk about them in these mystical, pseudoreligious terms could be off-putting and cringey, but their shows completely justify the hype.

I don't exactly tend to spin ØØ Void when I'm doing the dishes, but I'd go see them play live again in a heartbeat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

when Attila emerged from a haze of dry ice dressed as a demonic, reflective statue of liberty, i nearly lost my mind

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

When I saw Sunn O))) Atilla was just walking around the lobby of the venue and nobody recognized him. Luckily I did and he stopped and took a picture with me, he was actually really nice.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

aw yes the new Cult of Occult is out too https://cultofoccult.bandcamp.com/album/anti-life-2

for fans of filthy slow sludge

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This is some kickass Saturnus-style funeral doom: https://banefulgenesisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/until-the-end

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

chunkles posted:

New Witch Mountain is pretty solid.

It's good. I was iffy at first but a couple more listens brought me over. I like the new singer, though Uta Plotkin will always be my fave of theirs.

Anyone seen them live before, how are they?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBUmpCrtao

Legitimately mad I'm only just hearing this now.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Hulk Krogan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBUmpCrtao

Legitimately mad I'm only just hearing this now.
this is sick

so is this.. Coffin Torture.. sounds like Primitive Man and Conan had a baby https://coffintorture.bandcamp.com/releases

my bony fealty posted:

It's good. I was iffy at first but a couple more listens brought me over. I like the new singer, though Uta Plotkin will always be my fave of theirs.

Anyone seen them live before, how are they?
I've seen them, the girl singing now is awesome, crazy stage presence

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Varg posted:

this is sick

so is this.. Coffin Torture.. sounds like Primitive Man and Conan had a baby https://coffintorture.bandcamp.com/releases
These guys used to have a lot more EPs on their BandCamp, like CT Top, which was them covering (surprise) ZZ Top, Coffin Cream (take a guess), etc. Shame they decided to scrub those from the page at some point.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Snowy posted:

One does not simply walk into a Sunn O concert (if they're not into drone)

Also I saw OM , so fuckin good. Such musicianship

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

One does not simply walk into a Sunn O concert (if they're not into drone)

Also I saw OM , so fuckin good. Such musicianship

Random people walking into things they have no idea about is one of my favorite things about going to shows. The other week Cannabis Corpse were in town and toward the end a group of black folks dressed for clubbing wandered in and looked :wtf: for a bit. After a little while they were dancing because it's Saturday and everyone's just out for a good time.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kvlt! posted:

That's because this kind of music is essentially just amplifier worship.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I need more music like Electric Wizard's Mountains of Mars, Priestess of Mars and I, the Witchfinder.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just a reminder not long now till new Bongripper !!!!!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's because this kind of music is essentially just amplifier worship.

It is but it's not like it needs to be, you can have both good tone and cool songwriting if you really try hard and apply yourself

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Have the titles to the books on the inner art of The Sciences besides 'America in Space' been figured out yet?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Now that I've had time to digest the new YOB album and the recent show, I can say that they definitely played In Reverie-> Lungs Reach, The Screen, and Our Raw Heart. I think they might have played Ablaze too, but I'm not sure. Many beers were consumed that night.

I really like the new album. Beauty In Falling Leaves and Original Face are definitely weaker songs in YOB's catalog, but the rest are excellent. Lungs Reach is one that doesn't really come across on the recording; it was one of the highlights of the show, along with the title track.

Our Raw Heart wasn't available yet, but I picked up the remastered Great Cessation, and it sounds killer.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Fórn coming out this year gently caress yes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If y'all wanna see Doom Metal: The Movie, go see Hereditary. Trust me. You won't be disappointed.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

this new album from Haunted is pretty fantastic https://haunteditaly.bandcamp.com/album/dayburner

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you're like me and you didn't already listen to the new Yob album through that pre-release stream, it's officially out now and they put the whole thing up on YouTube with a visualization:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VunIoLslYrE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A human heart posted:

It is but it's not like it needs to be, you can have both good tone and cool songwriting if you really try hard and apply yourself

Yea, I wouldn't let that limit what is possible.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Honestly they (they: all doom bands, collectively) should stop pissing about and just concentrate on finding the ideal guitar, bass and drum tones for playing the first 4 sabbath albums at 1/6th speed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Yob starts well but starts to drag toward the end. Probably could have cut at least one song out.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
How much money are the Melvin's leaving on the table by not just putting out an Earth 2 ripoff (which is a first 10 mins of Lysol rip off [which is a black flag rip off {which is a Black Sabbath rip off}](which is also a john cage rip off))?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A couple hundred bucks maybe

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
how far can we go before we find the only original artist

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

All songs are just covers of when Grob the Caveman beat the ground with his club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol but seriously I posted:

How much money are the Melvin's leaving on the table by not just putting out an Earth 2 ripoff (which is a first 10 mins of Lysol rip off [which is a black flag rip off {which is a Black Sabbath rip off}](which is also a john cage rip off))?

uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh