Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KEY DATES (thanks Kilza):

June 20 - NHL Awards
June 22/23 - NHL Draft
July 1 - NHL Free Agency
July 2 - death

e:

TRADES of note

Arizona gets: Alex Galchenyuk
Montreal gets: Max Domi

San Jose gets: Mike Hoffman, Cody Donaghey, 2020 5th
Ottawa gets: Mikkel Boedker, Julius Bergman, 2020 6th

Florida gets: Mike Hoffman, 2018 7th
San Jose gets: 2018 4th, 2018 5th, 2019 2nd

Edmonton traded up in the draft to take their goalie consultant's son.

Calgary gets: Noah Hanifin, Elias Lindholm
Carolina gets: Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, Adam Fox

Buffalo gets: Conor Sheary, Matt Hunwick
Pittsburgh gets: conditional 2019 3rd

Montreal gets: Steve Mason, Joel Armia, 2019 7th, 2020 4th
Winnipeg gets: Simon Bourque

St Louis gets: Ryan O'Reilly
Buffalo gets: Tage Thompson, Vladimir Sobotka, Patrik Berglund, 2019 1st, 2021 2nd

Signings of note

Boston
John Moore 13.75 over 5 years
Joakim Nordstrom 2 over 2 years
Jaroslav Halak 5.5 over 2 years

Buffalo
Scott Wilson 2.1 over 2 years
Carter Hutton 8.25 over 3 years

Calgary
Derek Ryan 9.375 over 3 years
Austin Czarnik 2.5 over 2 years
James Neal 28.75 over 5 years

Chicago
Brandon Manning 4.5 over 2 years
Cam Ward 3 over 1 year

Colorado
Philipp Grubauer 10 over 3 years
Ian Cole 12.75 over 3 years
Matt Calvert 8.4 over 3 years

Columbus
Riley Nash 8.25 over 3 years
Boone Jenner 15 over 4 years

Dallas
Valeri Nicushkin 5.9 over 2 years
Blake Comeau 7.2 over 3 years
Anton Khudobin 5 over 2 years

Detroit
Mike Green 10.75 over 2 year
Tomas Vanek 3 over 1 year
Jonathan Bernier 9 over 3 years

Edmonton
Tobias Rieder 2 over 1 year
Kyle Brodziak 2.3 over 2 years

LA
Ilya Kovalchuk 18.75 over 3 years
Drew Doughty 88 over 8 years

Minnesota
Greg Pateryn 6.75 over 3 years

Montreal
Tomas Plekanec 2.25 over 1 year
Matthew Peca 2.6 over 2 years

NYI
Thomas Hickey 10 over 4 years
Leo Komarov 12 over 4 years

Philadelphia
James van Riemsdyk 35 over 5 years

Phoenix
Niklas Hjalmarsson 10 over 2 years (starts 19-20)
Mikael Grabner 10.05 over 3 years

Pittsburgh
Bryan Rust 14 over 4 years
Jack Johnson 16.25 over 5 years

San Jose
Logan Couture 64 over 8 years
Joe Thornton 5 over 1 year

St Louis
Tyler Bozak 15 over 3 years
David Perron 16 over 4 years
Chad Johnson 1.5 over 1 year

Tampa Bay
JT Miller 26.25 over 5 years
Ryan McDonagh 47.25 over 7 years (starts 19-20)

Toronto
John Tavares 77 over 7 years :newnhl:

Vegas
Ryan Reaves 5.6 over 2 years
Paul Stastny 19.5 over 3 years
Nick Holden 4.4 over 2 years
Colin Miller 15.5 over 4 years

Vancouver
Antoine Roussel 12 over 4 years
Jay Beagle 12 over 4 years
Tim Schaller 3.8 over 2 years
Sven Baertschi 10 over 3 years

Washington
John Carlson 64 over 8 years
Adrian Kempny 10 over 4 years

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How mad are you all gonna be when Rutherford signs Tavares

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funny way of spelling GMGM.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tavares is gonna hang out with his BFF PK in Nashville.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

Tavares is gonna hang out with his BFF PK in Nashville.

I'd be down for this.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Tavares is a boring-as-poo poo personality and he’s going to do the boring-as-poo poo thing and re-sign with the Islanders.

Edit: look how blessed I am to be a Caps fan:

https://twitter.com/_jakerussell/status/1005497808969924609?s=21

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 9, 2018

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ovi rules, he is the champion the cup deserves.

Tavares re-signing with the Islanders is not going to be boring, because they're going to allow 300 goals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

Ovi rules, he is the champion the cup deserves.

Tavares re-signing with the Islanders is not going to be boring, because they're going to allow 300 goals.

They got rid of Weight. There's no way Lou signs a coach who would give up 300 goals

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how much does that cup weigh? He's sure getting a good arm workout by not ever letting go of it :unsmith:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ginette Reno posted:

They got rid of Weight. There's no way Lou signs a coach who would give up 300 goals

Bah gawd that's AVs music!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aces High posted:

how much does that cup weigh? He's sure getting a good arm workout by not ever letting go of it :unsmith:

Each player gets a day with the Cup but Ovechkin has to carry it for them.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You missed where they started to sing "We Are The Champions" to the reporter, got bored mid-line and started chugging beers.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Aces High posted:

I thought it was Michael Jordan's arm holding it though?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Ginette Reno posted:

There's two years left on Greiss' 3-year, 10m deal. His save percentage was .892 last year.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
John Carlson, Tom Wilson and Michael Kempny take a SC discount. Grubauer and Burakovsky get traded for some cheap young talent. Orpik gets bought out (won’t happen since he was actually great in the playoffs).

This is the formula for a repeat in 2018–19.

If Carlson doesn’t come back it’s going to be real interesting. Show us what you got MacLellan!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Caps have 63.8m in cap hit, 10F 4D 2G signed next year. The cap is probably going to be around 78m. This gives them 14m to re-sign Carlson, Wilson, 1F+1D, and spares.

Carlson gets 7-8m for 8 years. He has no reason to go anywhere else, and the organization would be foolish to let him walk. They need another swing at it next year.

Wilson had a good playoff performance with 15 points, scored a career high 35 in the regular season, but did so playing with all-stars. He's going to get paid for his reputation, probably 3-4m, but they should definitely be careful not to create an albatross here.

Kempny was good in the playoffs, but ultimately he's replaceable. They should have room, since he shouldn't cost too much.

DSP is this year's Brian Bickell. Great playoffs, good guy, but much more than 1m would be laughably bad, especially if they're losing one of the above guys in the resulting cap crunch.

Bowey likely gets his QO, and Boyd get a two-way deal. There's your spares.

Seems entirely possible, as long as they don't get stupid and pay the depth guys and not the big guys, especially Carlson.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Aces High posted:

About 35 pounds of silver :holymoley:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Kempny absolutely needs to be re-signed, he's a top 4 defenseman (albeit closer to the 3-4 spot...)

Beagle needs to be allowed to walk, no way they can pay him for what some other team looking for GRITLEADERSHIPCUPWINNER

DSP the same, he scored some of the biggest goals but he's going to get over a million on the market

Wilson should get re-signed because despite him being a dirty as poo poo he's still remarkably skilled. If he turned a Cooke and stopped trying to murder people on ice he'd be even more productive

Buying out Orpik might be nice, I don't know, apart from a few isolated fuckups he was a rock (figuratively and literally) during the playoffs. The Caps had to rely on the other 4 skaters to get the puck out of the zone

but just whatever happens, don't pull the same poo poo that McPhee did when he was overpaying players left and right because he fell in love with them. There have been so many albatross contracts from 20 some odd years of that poo poo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1005496015225532417?s=19

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Goddamn ovi owns

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
It's the avalanches turn to make the central division a nightmare so we're going to sign Tavares, sorry y'all.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1005535326595637250

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I was sure wrong about Trotz. While I'll probably keep getting frustrated by the way he benches kids, back the truck up to that man's house and keep him in DC. He deserves a lot of credit.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
captials will finish dead last in the nhl next year because all of them are going to show up to training cap out of shape and still drunk from partying

also with broken kneecaps after phil pritchard has to start busting them to get the cup back from the team

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Kempny absolutely needs to be re-signed, he's a top 4 defenseman (albeit closer to the 3-4 spot...)

Why do you think he's a #3-4? He played the 4th most minutes in the playoffs, but it seems like there's a pretty big drop from Carlson/Niskanen/Orlov to him.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah - he's actually pretty similar to Orlov but not as strong defensively. I love how angry he gets though. He's a little bit dirty. Also he seems to really like women's breasts.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
I'm very late with this, but congratulations to Capitals, most of their players, fans of capital and even Kawalimus.
Please tone it down from now on so I don't have to lessail you to the list, since you seem to be a good person.

I like any result where a long-suffering team wins a cup.

Maybe St. Louis will get one some day too. Or Buffalo. Or Canucks. I mean, how many years do we got before our civilization collapses?
And will future mutant hockey league honor previous nhl results.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Slappy Pappy posted:

Yeah - he's actually pretty similar to Orlov but not as strong defensively. I love how angry he gets though. He's a little bit dirty. Also he seems to really like women's breasts.

Hell, same

haha OV definitely sleeps with the Cup and not his pregnant wife

talk about the draft here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856361

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Slappy Pappy posted:

OK but that involves throwing single dollars at someone, not millions.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
They should make one of those websites like https://www.isalexovechkinsober.com and it just has a giant NOPE until the preseason starts.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

LumpyGumby posted:

It's the avalanches turn to make the central division a nightmare so we're going to sign Tavares, sorry y'all.

The Avalance are going to win the draft lottery next year with the Senators pick for maximum hilarity no matter how they play this season.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

z0331 posted:

They should make one of those websites like https://www.isalexovechkinsober.com and it just has a giant NOPE until the preseason starts.

hes afraid that if he stops drinking the collective hangover will kill him

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://nypost.com/2018/06/09/stanley-cup-win-doesnt-erase-alex-ovechkins-ledger-of-losing/

:wtc:

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Of course it's Larry Brooks. Good though - anything to start re-building that chip on Ovi's shoulder.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

And this nincompoop got into the hhof :lol:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
He's not wrong that the NHL playoff format is stupid as hell

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/alex_prewitt/status/1005572822410891265?s=21

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ElwoodCuse posted: