Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How big is a WUKONG class anyway? Destroyer? Cruiser? Battleship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The Lone Badger posted:

How big is a WUKONG class anyway? Destroyer? Cruiser? Battleship?

The Excelsior-class Multipurpose Vessel hull is Size 4 (out of a max of 5). Aside from Legion vessels, FE ship don't have a standard classification system, but if the Wukong-type wins it will have the Destroyer Trait.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

The Excelsior-class Multipurpose Vessel hull is Size 4 (out of a max of 5). Aside from Legion vessels, FE ship don't have a standard classification system, but if the Wukong-type wins it will have the Destroyer Trait.

So Star Trek reference, more The Defiant than the Enterprise

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

So Star Trek reference, more The Defiant than the Enterprise

Ish. FE ships don't get as rediculously huge as Star Trek ships, but a Wukong-type can totally punch above its weight class.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

Ish. FE ships don't get as rediculously huge as Star Trek ships, but a Wukong-type can totally punch above its weight class.

Thanks for the clarification.

I just want to say I'm enjoying this quite a lot and I thought this was going towards Andromeda story arc of being a Pathfinder, finding terraforming systems left by advandced absent race but it's definitely has it's own thing going too. I'm looking forward to seeing this to it's conclusion.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Wukong lobby thanks you all for your votes. You are beautiful meatbagsorganics

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

ATTEMPTING TO MITIGATE THREAT_PALADINC
PROBABILITY OF SUCCESS: 13.8%
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES REQUIRED
ORDNANCE ACQUISITION IN PROGRESS

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What you have doesn't matter. What you can keep matters, especially when there are people with guns who thing your things should be their things.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hexenritter posted:

later (or earlier!) in this enterprise I might have gone for the Exploration Configuration, but just this instant we're sitting on a profitable site with priceless tech, in the same general area as at least two other solid sites, so we don't really need a Science Vessel

one of them belongs to one of our allies, but that's fine, especially since she's happy to work with us to brew up atrocities; Elizabetty's operation is quite welcome in the Greater Kaijuberg Metropolitan Area

also, we're straight up contracted by her Brood to work on the job she's presumably doing

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Children’s Chorus posted:

Wu! Kong!
(He's strong!)
Wu! Kong!
(He's bold!)
Wukong!
(Friend to children!)
You look around for the source of the doggerel, and realize with a bit of embarrassment that it came from you. Luckily you’re saved by the vessel interrupting.

“Preference recorded. Please activate at least one of the power cores, Partitioning will not proceed on emergency power.”
“Well, you heard the ship! Jadzi! Take a team in with power cells, conduit, and a fusion igniter. We need to get at least one of the reactors up and running if the Big Boy here is going to be of any use. Hydra, go with them and make sure its clear. You’ll also want have a team looking around while everyone’s busy, we need to make sure our esteemed creators didn’t leave us any surprises. Chop Chop!”

Several Hours Later

You have to hand it to the Archons, they had a certain amount of style. The command deck was mostly bare, waiting partitioning. But the captain’s chair was a permanent fixture, and it was best described as a throne. Archons, in their genetically engineered perfection, were all at least 2 meters tall, and the captain’s seat made you feel a bit like a teenager again.
“Ok, the magnetic field is holding steady at 98%. Injecting plasma in 3. 2. 1. Ignition!”

The entire ship rattles for a moment, but it quickly evens out into a low hum. The ship’s lighting slowly brightens, bolstering the handful of spotlamps you brought. Several holograms pop up around the command throne, indicating various aspects of the ship’s condition. Multiple issues the repair crews will have to deal with, but no critical damage or faults. The big holoscreen at the front of the command deck lights up, displaying multiple status bars:

Excelsior Partitioning, WUKONG-type posted:

>Partitioning Primary Weapon Array
>>Beam Laser: Additional Support Required
>Partitioning Secondary Weapon Arrays
>>Quantuum-detonator Missiles
>>Droid Fighters
>Partitioning Defensive Systems
>>Fractal Shielding: Additional Support Required
>Partitioning Secondary Systems
>>Ship VI: Wukong
>>Shuttle Bay
>>Armory
>>Brig
>>Escape Pods: Requires replacement

Crew consoles fold up from the floor, and energy fields pop up around the deck, guiding a latticework of metal and plastics and shaping the area into a sleek form. Over the comms you can hear the startled cries of the repair and security teams as the Human-era Energy/Matter conversion fabricators reshape the interior of the MPV into a warship. With a start, you realize that you’re stroking the throne’s arm-interface lovingly.
I THINK I'M IN LOOOOOOOOVE. WHO ARE WE GOING TO BLOW UP FIRST? MY VOTE IS FOR THAT DICK ON ALABASTER 2 THAT RIPPED YOU OFF WHEN YOU FIRST ARRIVED AT HAVEN.
“Shut. Up. I’m not dealing with you right now.”
“Sir, I think we have a situation. The sweep team found something, you should take a look.”

Thank GodWukong for small favors. Anything is better than self-reflection right now, even whatever has Hydra looking worried.

Hydra meets you at the door of an oddly placed room, obviously at odds with the current Wukong configuration. Through the door you can already the large silver forms that are the cause of the worry. Mechanoid Disciples. They’ve been partially disassembled, and from the looks of the surviving equipment, had been under study. Hydra nods to you, her face still grim.
“If that was the worst of it I think we’d be fine. But then the team opened up the other door. It looks like it had high-level security originally, but it didn’t survive the crash.”

The inner door does look much beefier, but the metal has been warped out of socket. The two security detail on either side look concerned, but salute smartly. Hydra lets you go in first, the room inside is much smaller. Its perimeter is full of wall-mounted equipment, most destroyed by the crash. The center is home to a sizable pillar, the containment system on top securing a silver cube in place. The cube is a meter on each side, and obviously technological. When you don’t say anything, Hydra grunts.
“I’ve not had to face Mechanoids before, but even the basic training covers Cubes. To paraphrase Cody, what the gently caress are we going to do?”

Mechanoid Cubes. The devices used by Prophets and Harbingers to teleport Mechanoid forces behind enemy lines, and possibly across interstellar distances. You once housed one deep in your belly, and guarded it most jealously. If any Mechanoid discovered you had one the response would be immediate.
BEST. DAY. EVER.

=====
We have successfully pried out the Archon vessel and reactivated it. Many of the more esoteric systems will require some repair (through Influence), but it is a perfectly functional ship. I’ll post its stats once we’ve done the most important part: naming it.

Decision 1: The MPV’s Name
A: Wukong
B: Foregone Conclusion
C: Black Seeds of Vengeance
D: Too Old For This
E: The Jenni II
F: Other

Decision 2: The Mechanoid Cube
A Mechanoid Cube is another piece of Human-derived tech that is beyond anything the Haven species could dream of. But the Mechanoids will try and reclaim it if they discover that we have it. What do?
G: Keep It
Its worth the risk
H: Slag It
Melt it down, pretend we never saw it
I: Use It As A Lure
Get it among the Paladin Consortium holdings, tip off the Mechanoids

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
G

Ohmigodohmigodohmigod this is the best day EVER

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CG, yes we shall make those mewling bloodsacks rue the day they thought we were some backwater rube. First though, we bide our time and gather our strength. First you get the Influence, then you get the power, then you denature the pinkmeats' proteins from the inside out.

Gotta say I'm with 274-h here.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 9, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

At the moment I'm tempted toward BI.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

So what can we do with the cube?

Once the ship is complete would we be able to defend ourselves from the Mechanoids?

How do we ensure none of the security team blabs about it?

Could we create and use a faux cube as bait?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

So what can we do with the cube?

Once the ship is complete would we be able to defend ourselves from the Mechanoids?

How do we ensure none of the security team blabs about it?

Could we create and use a faux cube as bait?

Properly researched, the Cube would be a teleportation device. We could use it to enhance our Jump Drive, to teleport people and things around, or as a structure destroyer. A full-power Wukong-MVP might be able to fend off a Harbinger, but Mechanoids tend to show up in large numbers. Secrecy isnt so much an issue of anyone blabbing, as Mechanoids don't take prisoners so there's no-one to blab. But they are very good at hacking, and they have weird sensors that might pick up an active Cube. And if we research the Cube, we could probably make one that could act as bait, yes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AEGI(S)

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
To be clear, is the cube a teleport destination or a teleport projector? Or both? Cause even with our qualifications I'm leery of carrying around a backdoor that might flood out literally innumerable killbots at any moment.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Not Alex posted:

To be clear, is the cube a teleport destination or a teleport projector? Or both? Cause even with our qualifications I'm leery of carrying around a backdoor that might flood out literally innumerable killbots at any moment.

A Cube is an active transporter. While you could teleport things from elsewhere to the Cube, you'd need to have sent them away with the Cube to start (it basically has a recall function). So Mechanoids wouldn't be able to use it to flood you with killbots, but they could use their Cubes to transport killbots if they knew you had one.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

B
G

Ohmigodohmigodohmigod this is the best day EVER

BG:dance:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I am very excited by the possibilities presented by having our own teleporter. Something like teleporting nukes directly into the CIC of any ship that tries to gently caress with us is the absolute basic "5 seconds of thought" poo poo and I already love it. Imagine what kind of bullshit we could get up to.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

I am very excited by the possibilities presented by having our own teleporter. Something like teleporting nukes directly into the CIC of any ship that tries to gently caress with us is the absolute basic "5 seconds of thought" poo poo and I already love it. Imagine what kind of bullshit we could get up to.

"OH HELLO MEATBAGS, SO I SEE HERE THAT YOU ARE POWERING WEAPONS. WE'LL SEE HOW FROGGY YOU FEEL AFTER I TELEFRAG YOUR CAPTAIN WITH A GRENADE. WHAT'S THAT? YOU'RE SORRY? NOT YET YOU AREN'T."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

F The ship shall be named Mistake Not My Current State Of Playful Friendly Protectiveness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath. or Mistake not... for short
I

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At least someone appreciates brevity

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
None of the names so far have struck me as exactly it, but in the interests of our wonky voting system and barring some serious inspiration on my or someone else's part I'm going to go with:

Name: B or F:
I Haven’t Had My Coffee Yet, So Don’t Give Me An Excuse (probably my current favorite)
The Robots Are Coming
Inside Context Problems Are Still Difficult

fake edit: maybe some sort of bargaining thing; we're not a Corporate but we've shaken one down, twice, and this boat's gonna be our iron fist
the Firm Handshake
the Negotiable Terms

there's probably something funny with the word "Applied" placed prominently

edit: I heard of this one famous Human interstellar diplomat once, we could name it after him

the Matthew Perry

Cube: G, partly because being able to replicate some of the functionality of a Mechanoid Cube would be super-great, partly because our old buddies showing up would be tons of fun from a character perspective.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 9, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

F: I Haven’t Had My Coffee Yet, So Don’t Give Me An Excuse
G

Unfortunately we probably haven’t had a good coffee since we digitized and probably never will again. A bit of irritability is to be expected under the circumstances.

The teleporter offers too many sweet options to give up. Might be best to use it for a blink drive so we can run away if the mechanoids show up in force but it’s a hard call. The disintigrator option might be better for dealing with any mechanoids we come across before they run away for reinforcements. If a mechanoid fleet tracks us to the Human Facility though things are going to suck.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. B
2. I

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What's Up, Fellow Organics
Fist is a Verb
This Will End Badly
Gravitas is for Meatbags
Everything Looks Like A Nail

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

What's Up, Fellow Organics
Fist is a Verb
This Will End Badly
Gravitas is for Meatbags

see this is the sort of further contribution I was hoping for

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

B: let's keep the name a little bit punchy. Foregone conclusion has the good bit of wry humour I like in a ship's name.
G What's the worst that could happen?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Quantum Diplomat
We may be here to talk. We may be here to erase you from existence. You'll find out when you open the box.
/
Reference to the old phrase 'gunboat diplomacy', only with quantum detonator missiles instead of guns.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

The Hurry Cane

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

These are all extremely high-tier submissions but it looks like this vote's a Foregone Conclusion

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Look Me in the Eye and Say That Again
Akashic Record Breaker
Still Crazy After All These Years
It Does What It's Told
Slim To None
Too Big For Our Britches

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I wish to remove my name vote for B and add a couple more F votes:

Look Me In The Eye And Say That Again
Still Crazy After All These Years
Quantum Diplomat
This Will End Badly

edited for capitalization

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 10, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Add On: F: Quantum Diplomat

Since there's no way my other approval votes are going to win

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's got a darkly subtle humor to it without also sounding boastful. Vague menace veiled by a half-joking veneer of class.

The implication of overwhelming firepower restrained possibly by it's Captain's whim.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Xarbala posted:

It's got a darkly subtle humor to it without also sounding boastful. Vague menace veiled by a half-joking veneer of class.

The implication of overwhelming firepower restrained possibly by it's Captain's whim.

i'm convinced, i will not rescind my vote for it

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

There is indeed some top notch name game being thrown here. I would be happy with any of the sweet nomenclature some of you have suggested.

Dbmtm hit the nail on the head though, Foregone Conclusion just works, so hard.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also, just because I reread the post, "let's just stuff the Cube somewhere the Paladins are" is tantamount to "I didn't particularly want this planet and anything on it to still be alive anyway"

not that that option is winning, but it's a bad idea at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah I amended my initial vote based in part on that. I still intend great sorrow and woe upon Paladin, just not necessarily every other organic within 1AU