Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

agradine posted:

Use items?

If you can do all that other stuff, why would you need to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

If you can do all that other stuff, why would you need to?

It's a pretty big thing to have when the original comparison is Zerker

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
:toxx: I will donate $1 (up to a maximum of $10) for each person who can provide me a sub-minute Fire Ship video.

That is to say, from first moving the Fire Ship in world 1 (you can get off and save first, timing starts when you finally get off the starting tile) to getting to the town of Crescent and entering the cutscene, ending when Bartz says

"なにっ! 船が!! 船がしずむ!!" (Japanese)
"The ship's sinking!" (RPGe)
"Hey! The ship!!" (PS1)
"What the- Crap, the ship!" - (GBA, Mobile, Steam)

Rendering the Fire Ship seaworthy for less than a minute. This includes random encounters and checking the map, which is why I've never managed myself. But if I do, I'll donate $10 to celebrate finally achieving my dream.

Even the TAS doesn't do it, because it takes a detour to gently caress with Prototypes. I want to see that boat go down post-haste!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

:toxx: I will donate $1 (up to a maximum of $10) for each person who can provide me a sub-minute Fire Ship video.

That is to say, from first moving the Fire Ship in world 1 (you can get off and save first, timing starts when you finally get off the starting tile) to getting to the town of Crescent and entering the cutscene, ending when Bartz says

Dang, this is harder than it sounds. I can enter Crescent in just under a minute, but by the time the cutscene gets to that specific line I'm a few seconds over.

:siren: Nevermind, I pulled it off:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/271476267

Ship casts off at 0:03, Bartz says the required line at 0:58.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 10, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Up to the werewolf village in world 2 with the Knight/MK/Rng/Drg party, which is now I think the furthest I have ever made it into FFV :toot:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The Run voting finished with Geomancer as the Fire job.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Poor Bard; always a bridesmaid but never the bride.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is Gilgamesh part 3 (on the boat) bugged to not be heavy flagged on the GBA version? Killer bow one shot him before enkidu even showed up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Is Gilgamesh part 3 (on the boat) bugged to not be heavy flagged on the GBA version? Killer bow one shot him before enkidu even showed up.

It's not a bug. Lots of random bosses aren't heavy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It's not a bug. Lots of random bosses aren't heavy.

Yeah, most bestiary/boss lists I've seen lists him but not enkidu as heavy though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, most bestiary/boss lists I've seen lists him but not enkidu as heavy though.

He's heavy but he's not immune to instant death. Death Sickle or (if you hacked it in) the Death spell wouldn't work (since the death sickle just casts Death, which checks for Heavy status), but a Zantetsuken Odin and the Killer Bow (which skip the check and just proc "Inflict Status: Dead") do.

But no, it's not a bug, just the way the Killer Bow's proc works; it doesn't revive undead or anything like that the same way the Death Sickle does, it's technically a different effect.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 10, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Death Sickle does work on boat Gilgamesh.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragonatrix posted:

Death Sickle does work on boat Gilgamesh.

Oh. :shobon: Shows what I remember.

Still, the Killer Bow will work on things that the Death Sickle won't regardless.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

Angling Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, Fiesta time! Been looking forward to this ever since last year's ended. Going normal again (but risky) to start at least, hopefully this will be smoother than my run last year. Speaking of, got what I hope is a good warm-up challenge.

So I did my first Fiesta run (and run-through of FFV in general) last year, but due to a number of issues I had about 2 weeks to get it done. I know thread-goers can do it better and faster, so I'm issuing...

The Show Me How Its Done Challenge

Before the 20th of June, complete a run with the following jobs:
Wind: Knight
Water: Mystic Knight
Fire: Ranger
Earth: Dragoon

And I'll donate based on bosses defeated:
$5 per Exdeath (Dragonatrix, derra, FreeKillB, berenzen)
$10 per Shinryu (berenzen)
$10 per Omega (berenzen)
Max 10 defeats per boss

Running Total: $40

:toxx: me.

Hello.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Watching dd try to do poo poo like kill Byblos at level 6 is making me long for death.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

alcharagia posted:

hi my names forums poster alcharagia and im here to tell you about the various types of jorbes you can obtain in this video game

This was a really good post (I love a good analysis post), though I'd make two notes:
1. You mentioned that Blue Mages can do physical attacks since they've got good weapon options, but that's ignoring their garbage Strength stat (roughly around 20 IIRC, less than a Freelancer even and only a fraction better than stuff like Black Mages). They aren't going to be cutting their way through poo poo with those limp wrists, unless you slap the CK on them and use their second slot on an attack alternate (Goblin Punch doesn't even work since it goes off the weapon's hard-coded base power of 0!), and most parties will probably have better classes to use it with. In short, Blue Mages are best sticking completely to Magic and MAYBE the occasional Goblin Punch.
2. Summoners will usually want to ignore Leviathan, but if you get a Chemist too, it might be worth the side trip; nearly everything in the final dungeon has a massive Water weakness, and Chemist's Elemental Power Mix will give Water a boost too, making it the hottest loving poo poo in the endgame. Granted, that would mean you also have a Chemist, so :v: (also I know of at least one Fiesta mod that makes the Magus Rod also power up Water attacks like the original version SHOULD'VE done, so that's an option too).

Angling Dragon
Nov 15, 2012
Updated the challenge post with the new boss kills, congrats everyone! And thanks for the walkthrough, derra! Cool to know how early things can be done. It's also a good reminder on what to pick up so I don't have to back-track out of the rift like I did last year (Magic Lamp :argh:)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Watching dd try to do poo poo like kill Byblos at level 6 is making me long for death.

oh no was he doing practice runs already? Last I'd seen him he was practicing his masochism in Kusogrande, not in FF5. :ohdear:

Bufuman posted:

1. You mentioned that Blue Mages can do physical attacks since they've got good weapon options, but that's ignoring their garbage Strength stat (roughly around 20 IIRC, less than a Freelancer even and only a fraction better than stuff like Black Mages). They aren't going to be cutting their way through poo poo with those limp wrists, unless you slap the CK on them and use their second slot on an attack alternate (Goblin Punch doesn't even work since it goes off the weapon's hard-coded base power of 0!), and most parties will probably have better classes to use it with. In short, Blue Mages are best sticking completely to Magic and MAYBE the occasional Goblin Punch.

Gunching is mostly an option if you want to use the Excalipur or if you have a Knight (and Equip Swords) and want to run away from battles while still murdering things with the Brave Blade. I'm pretty sure Equip Swords passes on the Knight's Strength, too, so it makes gunching with the Brave Blade even more appealing.

Blue Mages are mostly about fiddly poo poo and status until you get air knives then they become Aeroga Spam.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Or Death By Math.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fenrir posted:

Or Death By Math.

Excuse me, sir, but this is boring, I am going to micromanage my character levels instead for goblin punch usa*game over in the first dungeon without having saved*

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KataraniSword posted:

I'm pretty sure Equip Swords passes on the Knight's Strength, too, so it makes gunching with the Brave Blade even more appealing.

It does. I'm at work right now, so I'll post the actual numbers for each skill when I get home (assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it), but basically almost every Equip [Weapon] passive will boost the Strength of the character it is set on to match the Strength of the job it comes from, unless your current job's Strength is already higher.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

It does. I'm at work right now, so I'll post the actual numbers for each skill when I get home (assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it), but basically almost every Equip [Weapon] passive will boost the Strength of the character it is set on to match the Strength of the job it comes from, unless your current job's Strength is already higher.

As follows:

code:
7.2) ABILITIES THAT MODIFY STATS

Note that none of these modifiers are applied if it ends up lowering a character's stat (i.e. Knight with Equip Whip will retain his own Strength value and not the Beastmaster's Strength).

WHITE
Magic Power = White Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - White Mage Job Level)

BLACK
Magic Power = Black Mage Magic Power - 3 * (6 - Black Mage Job Level)

SUMMON
Magic Power = Summoner Magic Power - 4 * (5 - Summoner Job Level)

TIME
Magic Power = Time Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - Time Mage Job Level)

BLUE
Magic Power = Blue Mage Magic Power

RED
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power - (3 - Red Mage Job Level)
If Red Mage Job Level = 4, Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

X-MAGIC (Dualcast)
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

MAGIC SWORD (Spellblade)
Magic Power = Mystic Knight Magic Power - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)
Strength = Mystic Knight Strength - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)

EQUIP SWORD
Strength = Knight Strength

EQUIP SPEAR
Strength = Dragoon Strength

EQUIP KATANA
Strength = Samurai Strength

EQUIP AXE
Strength = Berserker Strength

EQUIP BOW
Strength = Ranger Strength
Agility = Ranger Agility

EQUIP WHIP
Strength = Beastmaster Strength
Agility = Beastmaster Agility

EQUIP HARP
Magic Power = Bard Magic Power
Agility = Bard Agility

BRAWL (Barehanded)
Strength = Monk Strength

DBL GRIP (Two-Handed)
Strength = 37 (applied before Character bonuses)

AGILITY (Artful Dodger)
Agility = Thief Agility

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
So in a theoretical challenge run where you have a Knight, Blue Mage, and have to use the brave blade, do you put blue magic on the Knight or Equip Swords on your Blue Mage? I知 thinking Blue Mage but I知 far from a FFV systems master.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

So in a theoretical challenge run where you have a Knight, Blue Mage, and have to use the brave blade, do you put blue magic on the Knight or Equip Swords on your Blue Mage? I知 thinking Blue Mage but I知 far from a FFV systems master.

It's effectively the same thing. That said, using Two-Handed on the Blue Mage and going to town with the Rune Sword is more damage still. They have to be in the front row for that, instead of gunching from the safety of the back row.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Kyrosiris has this weird brain parasite that makes him underrate Aeroga spam even though literally the only times it won't work are the wind seal guardian and checking if maybe Calofisteri has cast Reflect yet, unless you use a reflect ring in which case 1/4 of one boss battle stops you and you have to break a few fire rods.

Oh but this deals 10% more damage, even though it requires about five pages of conditions and means you aren't huddled in the back row safely wrapped in magic evasion-boosting gear.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Jumping from 2520 to 3360 is roughly a 30% gain. I also say it's riskier and requires being in the front row. :v:

Aeroga spam is fine, but there are situationally more damaging options that leave your MP pool for poo poo like White Wind and Level X spells.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
When I have a blue mage (which has been strangely rare for the number of 750 runs I've done) I always tell myself I'll have fun playing around with the more complicated stuff, and then I always end up just Aeroga spamming once I get AirKnives (or the spell, I can't remember which comes first).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

Aeroga spam is fine, but there are situationally more damaging options that leave your MP pool for poo poo like White Wind and Level X spells.

If MP use is a concern, I have to wonder what the hell you're doing, that you're spamming Aeroga, but aren't done with whatever battle you were in, and so goddamn rich from wiping them you can't just drink ethers all drat day.

Poque posted:

(or the spell, I can't remember which comes first).

They're both available as soon as you get the sub, it's just whichever you go to get first.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If MP use is a concern, I have to wonder what the hell you're doing, that you're spamming Aeroga, but aren't done with whatever battle you were in, and so goddamn rich from wiping them you can't just drink ethers all drat day.

That or spending thirty minutes grinding elixirs off of some of the easiest monsters in the game in the Wind Shrine.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

You put Blue on your Knight so he can do something beyond whack a guy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kyrosiris posted:

As follows:

code:
7.2) ABILITIES THAT MODIFY STATS

Note that none of these modifiers are applied if it ends up lowering a character's stat (i.e. Knight with Equip Whip will retain his own Strength value and not the Beastmaster's Strength).

WHITE
Magic Power = White Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - White Mage Job Level)

BLACK
Magic Power = Black Mage Magic Power - 3 * (6 - Black Mage Job Level)

SUMMON
Magic Power = Summoner Magic Power - 4 * (5 - Summoner Job Level)

TIME
Magic Power = Time Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - Time Mage Job Level)

BLUE
Magic Power = Blue Mage Magic Power

RED
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power - (3 - Red Mage Job Level)
If Red Mage Job Level = 4, Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

X-MAGIC (Dualcast)
Magic Power = Red Mage Magic Power

MAGIC SWORD (Spellblade)
Magic Power = Mystic Knight Magic Power - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)
Strength = Mystic Knight Strength - 2 * (7 - Mystic Knight Job Level)

EQUIP SWORD
Strength = Knight Strength

EQUIP SPEAR
Strength = Dragoon Strength

EQUIP KATANA
Strength = Samurai Strength

EQUIP AXE
Strength = Berserker Strength

EQUIP BOW
Strength = Ranger Strength
Agility = Ranger Agility

EQUIP WHIP
Strength = Beastmaster Strength
Agility = Beastmaster Agility

EQUIP HARP
Magic Power = Bard Magic Power
Agility = Bard Agility

BRAWL (Barehanded)
Strength = Monk Strength

DBL GRIP (Two-Handed)
Strength = 37 (applied before Character bonuses)

AGILITY (Artful Dodger)
Agility = Thief Agility

And now for the actual values:

code:
7.1) BASE STATS

These are the base stats of each job.  Each character receives specific bonuses to various stats as well.

Str  Agl  Vit  Mag
Butz            +4   +1   +3   +1
Lenna           +1   +2   +1   +4
Galuf           +3    0   +4    0
Faris           +3   +3   +2   +2
Cara            +1   +4    0   +3

Str  Agl  Vit  Mag
Normal/Mimic    24   24   24   24
Knight          47   25   44   10
Monk            50   25   50    1
Thief           25   40   26   18
Dragoon         42   29   39   12
Ninja           39   38   27   14
Samurai         43   26   43   12
Berserker       45   15   49    1
Hunter          40   36   25   19
Mystic Knight   38   38   38   25
White Mage      17   25   24   49
Black Mage      15   24   22   55
Time Mage       19   26   21   48
Summoner        14   23   23   57
Blue Mage       16   25   27   47
Red Mage        32   29   18   32
Mediator        37   25   32   21
Chemist         26   27   30   20
Geomancer       28   26   28   48
Bard            16   32   15   35
Dancer          29   29   14   19
So if all you care about is boosting your character's stats, here's how you prioritize:

Strength: Barehanded > Equip Swords > Equip Axes > Equip Katanas > Equip Spears > Equip Bows > !Spellblade Lv. 6 > Two-Handed = Equip Whips

Magic: !Summon Lv. 5 > !Black Lv. 6 > !White Lv. 6 > !Time Lv. 6 > !Blue > Equip Harps > !Red Lv. 3 = !Dualcast > !Spellblade Lv. 6

Agility: Artful Dodger > Equip Bows > Equip Harps > Equip Whips

Equip Ribbons does not pass on any stats from the Dancer (but Ribbons themselves provide a +5 boost to all four stats), and Equip Rods doesn't pass on any stats from the Time Mage.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ime, Aeroga blows. By the time I got it I had both better single and group target spells/attacks from other classes.it was always faster to just Gunch with Excalipoor and kill one enemy while the others also killed an enemy. Add in that Ethers are a garbage mp restorative. Blue is better off doing status inflictions and mighty guard duty for boses.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Aeroga (at least with an Air Knife or the Magus Rod, which you may as well be using on a World 3 Blue Mage bc your physical attacks suck rear end) is the best generic offensive ability Blue has. Lv 3 Flare is more powerful, but a huge pain in the rear end to put in action against anything that isn't already a level multiple of 3 (and who wants to play the entire game with a bestiary open?)

It isn't that it's amazingly good so much as that it's the best option, and there are a lot of team comps where you can't give your Blue Mage a better offensive ability (the choices are pretty much just other magic types)

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

derra posted:

You put Blue on your Knight so he can do something beyond whack a guy.

Put Blue on your Knight so he can be useful by casting Transfusion and sacrificing himself to keep your Blue Mage's MP flowing.

Kyrosiris: is there any way you can add Mega64's page to the OP? I always go to the OP to get to the Algorithm's FAQ and stuff and Mega64's boss page is my go-to for status weaknesses, but sometimes I forget it exists. edit: https://ff5.mega64.net/

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Kyrosiris: is there any way you can add Mega64's page to the OP? I always go to the OP to get to the Algorithm's FAQ and stuff and Mega64's boss page is my go-to for status weaknesses, but sometimes I forget it exists. edit: https://ff5.mega64.net/

Done.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Thanks!

Okay, so, if #forbidden isn't an all-Freelancer run, what are the other big ideas? I was trying to think about how a reverse-natural run would work, i.e. Bartz can use the Water, Fire, and Earth jobs but not the Wind job (and so on for the other three). That would be different, I guess, but I'm not sure it really adds much, and it makes the beginning of the game kind of confusing: does Bartz stay Freelancer while the other three use the Wind job until the Water crystal? And then Bartz is locked to Water and Lenna locked to Wind until Fire? I guess now that I wrote that out, it's not that confusing.

I still want a half-natural mode. Soulmates mode! Bartz and Galuf/Krile get to share jobs, and Lenna and Faris get to share jobs, but you can't cross them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

:discourse:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

My toxx isn't in the second post, I feel slighted. :colbert:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I've been thinking about the best and worst jobs from each crystal, and then breaking that down by 750/no 750. Most of these breakdowns have been fairly easy. One has not:
Fire Crystal no-750.

The 750 side of this crystal is easy, containing only two jobs, one of the best in the game and one of the worst. The no-750 side has three jobs:
*Beastmaster
*Ninja
*Ranger
That defy easy sorting.

Ninja and Ranger are obviously both part of the typical vanilla end-game domination (due to Dual Wield and !Rapid Fire, respectively). But both are also not terribly strong jobs on their own. Beastmaster, meanwhile, has one of the most famous FFVFJF cheese tactics in the game, and can make fairly short work of both Exdeath fights. Whips are also surprisingly good weapons.

Ignoring the Mobile/Steam version (where the "deal 25% of target's max HP" !Release attacks don't work on Heavy targets anymore), how would you rank these three jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

agradine posted:

Ignoring the Mobile/Steam version (where the "deal 25% of target's max HP" !Release attacks don't work on Heavy targets anymore), how would you rank these three jobs?
Ranger > Ninja, and my arbitrary tiebreaker is Rapid Fire making GBS threads out damage and letting you wear the Aegis Shield rather than requiring a real weapon in each hand (plus it makes CK nonproccing so much easier, since Ninja only does that if you put the Double Lance in the other hand)

Beastmaster is top if you are willing to put in the legwork and bottom if you're not (which I am not, so for me it's R>N>B)