Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

As someone who worked for Troma, I can tell you this is totally accurate.

I was once in a meeting in which Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz told me to pitch a Tromeo & Juliet sequel to Comcast entitled "Tromeo & Juliet Do Frankenstein."

This, sadly, did not come to pass.

...I'm sort of surprised they had you pitch it to Comcast? One, they're a bit straight-laced to co-fund Troma stuff, and two, I would think with their low budgets and their movies being relatively consistent sellers, they'd have the money to just straight-up make that (unless they wanted to hire James Gunn back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Upcoming BFI releases (Region B/UK):
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23387

The Knack... and How to Get It - June 25
The Comfort of Strangers - July 23
It Happened Here - July 23
Tom Jones - Aug 20
Separate Tables - Aug 20
Eye of the Needle - Sept 24

Separate Tables and The Knack have bare-bones releases from Kino Lorber in the US. Criterion released the same restoration of Tom Jones here, but BFI seems to have an edge on supplements.

It Happened Here is a great, underrated anti-fascist film. It's only had a bare-bones PAL-to-NTSC DVD from the late 90s in the US from Milestone. Hopefully Milestone releases the same restoration over here like they are doing with Rocco and His Brothers, but no idea so far.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Digging through my local pawn shop that has a surprisingly large collection of blu-rays, I picked up a copy of JCVD - one of the pull quotes on the back is just "A better film than The Wrestler" which is a) hilariously petty and b) untrue, sorry.

Kinda psyched for It Happened Here, too.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Almost Blue posted:

If any of you are into steelbooks, Shout Factory's Army of Darkness is at $20 pre-order now, which is cheaper than I've seen the regular edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT8SHGZ/

Also, their The Fog steelbook is $12.61:

https://www.amazon.com/Fog-Limited-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B0711CP878/
Shout Factory's steelbooks for The Howling & Lifeforce are now under $20:

Lifeforce
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTBQ7JG/

Howling
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT7FN3S/

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 30, 2018

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout's starting to announce their September titles and it's....okay I guess. So far we have The Bride and The Seventh Sign. Let's hope they have some better announcements later this week.

And Studio Canal are doing a Collector's Edition for Deer Hunter in August.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 31, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber confirmed they just licensed over 50 more titles from the MGM library. Some will be OOP Twilight Time titles, half will be new to Blu-ray entirely, and nine are new 4K remasters.

(This is the current MGM - stuff like United Artists, American International, Orion, Cannon, etc. - not the pre-1986 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer films that Warner Bros. currently owns)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 31, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/jackie-chans-police-story-and-police-story-2

New 4k restorations of Police Story and Police Story 2 out in August from Eureka.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

FancyMike posted:

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/jackie-chans-police-story-and-police-story-2

New 4k restorations of Police Story and Police Story 2 out in August from Eureka.

AWESOME

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wonderful news!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

FancyMike posted:

Is this sold out or not yet available?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FancyMike posted:

I was hoping Criterion would put out a Jackie Chan box set or something but you know what, I'll take this.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I was hoping Criterion would put out a Jackie Chan box set or something but you know what, I'll take this.

Hopefully there's a good region A release that comes soon. Though if there isn't one announced by the time this is out I'll probably just get the Eureka set, they do good work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mmWZLDQVk
Just now seeing this and getting real excited. Looks like Fortune Star has been getting a bunch of restorations ready
4K restorations
  • The Big Boss
  • Fist of Fury
  • The Way of the Dragon
  • Game of Death
  • A Better Tomorrow
  • Police Story 1-3
  • Once Upon a Time in China 1-3
2K restorations
  • A Chinese Ghost Story
  • Running Out of Time 1-2
  • The Story of Ricky
  • The Adventurers
  • Iron Monkey
  • Black Mask 1-2
  • The Cannonball Run
  • Battle Creek BRAWL
  • Armour of God
  • City Hunter
  • Project A 1-2
  • Wheels on Meals
  • Once Upon a Time in China and America
  • Dr. Wai in "The Scriptures with No Words"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FancyMike posted:

Is this a limited edition?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I wonder how this will compare to the Police Story bluray out in the states already.

Police Story 2 looked pretty good, but the first movie looked really dire. The encode wasn't bad, as far as I could see, the source was just really rough.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah HK didn’t take care of their film elements at all in the 80s and 90s, it’ll be interesting to see what they can glean from the source.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is there a good boxset of Hammer Horror films? I'm not especially versed in them, but if there is a definitive collection I'd like to check t out.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

All I really want is a 4k restoration of Master of the Flying Guillotine, but I guess that'll forever be a pipe dream. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

Is there a good boxset of Hammer Horror films? I'm not especially versed in them, but if there is a definitive collection I'd like to check t out.

Nah, they're all spread out because of rights issues, as a fan it's really frustrating.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While there isn't one box set, there's a few Blu-ray sets released in the UK.

Indicator has released three 4-film sets of Columbia Hammer films. There's an 8-film set from Universal. Warner Bros. released a 4-film set in the US.

There's also a set that appears to be OOP that has 15 films, though none of the big ones.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

All I really want is a 4k restoration of Master of the Flying Guillotine, but I guess that'll forever be a pipe dream. :(

i'm pretty sure the original materials for that movie don't exist anymore and the remaining prints are in insanely goddamn rough condition

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A lot of HK films have been getting restorations through Cineteca Bologna/L'immagine Ritrovata. If anyone can ressurect difficult film elements it's them. They're the ones that were able to salvage the burned camera negatives to the Apu Trilogy and the last surviving print of A Trip to the Moon in color.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Any Film Junk podcast fans here get their How To Build a Time Machine Blurays in from Jay?
Mine came today with a personalized drawing of Tobey Maguire in his Pussy Posse kimono :)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, they're all spread out because of rights issues, as a fan it's really frustrating.
I wish Shout Factory would go and wrangle some sets together. The Vincent Price ones they did were pretty excellent.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Any Film Junk podcast fans here get their How To Build a Time Machine Blurays in from Jay?
Mine came today with a personalized drawing of Tobey Maguire in his Pussy Posse kimono :)

Got my blu (I’m the guy who sent them shirts a few episodes ago) but didn’t pay the extra $10 for a Jay Draw... good to see that he’s taking his artistic tasks seriously

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zenintrude posted:

good to see that he’s taking his artistic tasks seriously

From what I've seen from other people's pictures, this is by far my favourite.

Mine has more ear detail, though :)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there a decent blu-ray of Hitchcock's Notorious out there for a good price? The one I saw on Amazon was like $100 USD, and that's crazy.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout’s doing a CE for Valley Girl in October. Really makes up for the lackluster September releases.

Edit: Nevermind, September is redeemed.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 4, 2018

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Scream Factory is doing their Summer of Fear sale.

Nothing of interest for me so far, because I already own everything I might want. :v:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Is there a decent blu-ray of Hitchcock's Notorious out there for a good price? The one I saw on Amazon was like $100 USD, and that's crazy.

There's only the MGM Blu-ray and it's OOP. Though, Criterion is probably releasing a Blu within the next year since they got Rebecca back and it's part of the same library.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

There's only the MGM Blu-ray and it's OOP. Though, Criterion is probably releasing a Blu within the next year since they got Rebecca back and it's part of the same library.
Ah okay, I'll just hold out for that then.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Target is having a nice sale from the 10th to the 16th. I just bought Thor, so I guess I’m doing a return tomorrow. :/

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
My copy of Heimat that came out in Europe showed up last weekend (and only two weeks late!) and holy crap it owns. I bought it blind bc I read that Kubrick loved the hell out of it and after two episodes (roughly four hours) and I am v. glad that I did. Now Second Sight needs to put out the second one!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Universal is releasing legacy sets of the Invisible Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon series on August 28.

It was also confirmed that Revenge of the Creature was newly restored with help from 3-D Film Archive in 4K 3-D from the camera negatives. The new restoration is also in the original widescreen format for the first time since its original release.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

Universal is releasing legacy sets of the Invisible Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon series on August 28.

It was also confirmed that Revenge of the Creature was newly restored with help from 3-D Film Archive in 4K 3-D from the camera negatives. The new restoration is also in the original widescreen format for the first time since its original release.

Cant wait! I've had a ton of fun with the Universal monster blu-ray sets so far.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

4k set of all the Predator films is coming in August. Hopefully this will be the definitive version of Predator. Not too grainy, not too waxy, just right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love that the box art on that is an action figure.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Liar Lyre posted:

4k set of all the Predator films is coming in August. Hopefully this will be the definitive version of Predator. Not too grainy, not too waxy, just right.

They're gonna put an Instagram filter on it or some poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

codyclarke posted:

Cant wait! I've had a ton of fun with the Universal monster blu-ray sets so far.
Is there anything else they released on DVD that isn't scheduled for BluRay yet?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Is this a 4K remaster thing or a UHD disc? Also is there a way to buy just Predator and Predator 2 or do I have to own the three lovely ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Is this a 4K remaster thing or a UHD disc? Also is there a way to buy just Predator and Predator 2 or do I have to own the three lovely ones?

Full UHD discs. I doubt they will redo the standard blu-ray, but I’m guessing they will use the same master that’s currently available on iTunes. And it looks like you can buy them individually. Details are a little scarce right now.