Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Devyl posted:

My neighbor down the road has an all-stock SN95 COBRA for sale. $3,500. The only upgrade is Strange axles and aftermarket wheels. I really need a good reason not to buy it.

5 speed? 5.0 or 4.6?

You should buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Here is the latest mod. I have been sitting on pulling the trigger on this for about 3+ years.
I always wanted an aftermarket wheel, but I did not really want an FR500 wheel or any wheel that gives up an airbag.
I know I will probably get sick of the Alcantara but for now I like it.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Finally got my new front tires on and in for an alignment.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 30, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What mustang would you buy at $5k, $10k, and $15k?

The choices in my area would seem to be a very nice sn95 with a 5.0, an early s197 with a 4.8, and then it gets into whether you want a newer non v8 or an older v8.

Around here it seems like both 05-10 s197 4.8s and 11-14 3.7s won't drop below $10k.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I kinda want a beat to poo poo fox body for that leaks gas for 1k.

Just to give me something to dooooo.

kalvick posted:

Here is the latest mod. I have been sitting on pulling the trigger on this for about 3+ years.
I always wanted an aftermarket wheel, but I did not really want an FR500 wheel or any wheel that gives up an airbag.
I know I will probably get sick of the Alcantara but for now I like it.

Noice.

F your fr500 dis.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Jack B Nimble posted:

Probably a fox body for all 3 of those. I'd love to get a notchback and put a coyote in it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jack B Nimble posted:

The choices in my area would seem to be a very nice sn95 with a 5.0, an early s197 with a 4.8, and then it gets into whether you want a newer non v8 or an older v8.

Around here it seems like both 05-10 s197 4.8s and 11-14 3.7s won't drop below $10k.

Four headlights, used 2005-10 GT, 2015 EcoBoost premium.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

F your fr500 dis.

wha wha wha....!? Why would not wanting something be a dis? anyways... sorry 'bout that.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I'm having a hell of a time selling my GT350. Largely a comedy of errors and timing but god drat, so many people walk away because my 2016 track pack doesn't have the navigation screen. Sad commentary on the market.

I think what people really want is a 2017+ tech package at 2016 base prices. Very frustrating.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm having a hell of a time selling my GT350. Largely a comedy of errors and timing but god drat, so many people walk away because my 2016 track pack doesn't have the navigation screen. Sad commentary on the market.

I think what people really want is a 2017+ tech package at 2016 base prices. Very frustrating.

It was very stupid of ford to make the tech and track packages exclusive to each other in the first few releases.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

This is extra stupid since you can easily replace the stock with even an oem unit for cheap. I did that on my ecostang. If I wasn't already up to my nipples in debt I would be hitting you up for that gt350

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BrownieVK posted:

This is extra stupid since you can easily replace the stock with even an oem unit for cheap. I did that on my ecostang. If I wasn't already up to my nipples in debt I would be hitting you up for that gt350

What’s a little more debt? I’ll give you a good price! :)

Agreed, it was dumb not to include it but I wish I could impart to people how little I gave a poo poo about the small screen after a day or two. Who even uses factory navigation? I just stuck a magnetic mount in a vent and used my phone, easily 10x better than whatever poo poo Ford came up with.

At this point if someone said “I’ll buy the car but I want the nav screen, split the price for parts and install” I’d take it. Ugh.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I give 0 shits about that poo poo, how much you want for it? :D

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah built in nav usually sucks, but Android auto is pretty great. It was a big reason why I waited for the 2016 model year and a major factor in my wife's car buying decision earlier this year.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

What’s a little more debt? I’ll give you a good price! :)

Agreed, it was dumb not to include it but I wish I could impart to people how little I gave a poo poo about the small screen after a day or two. Who even uses factory navigation? I just stuck a magnetic mount in a vent and used my phone, easily 10x better than whatever poo poo Ford came up with.

At this point if someone said “I’ll buy the car but I want the nav screen, split the price for parts and install” I’d take it. Ugh.

I'm honestly kind of curious what you want.

Also, a few dealers and other people have GT350s for sale here...none of them have moved in the last 6 months or so.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I'm asking $47.5K in listings but I'd take $47K. Username at gmail if you want to chat.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101054

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

on my 03 automatic, i just checked the transmission fluid and it looks like it was WAY over filled. I'm guessing it was done by the lovely mechanic shop i took it to to replace the suspension and check out a noise I've been hearing from the tranny.

I've put 3k miles on since then, how hosed is this?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The car was running, right?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

RFC2324 posted:

on my 03 automatic, i just checked the transmission fluid and it looks like it was WAY over filled. I'm guessing it was done by the lovely mechanic shop i took it to to replace the suspension and check out a noise I've been hearing from the tranny.

I've put 3k miles on since then, how hosed is this?

Did you have them replace the pan with one with a drain plug? I always do that if I am dropping the pan for any reason. Did you check it after running through all the gears? Sometimes you need to fill up all the magic orfices.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cage posted:

The car was running, right?

no, didn't know you should check it while running. ill check again with it running once it cools down.

Elephanthead posted:

Did you have them replace the pan with one with a drain plug? I always do that if I am dropping the pan for any reason. Did you check it after running through all the gears? Sometimes you need to fill up all the magic orfices.

i only had then do a diag. can't see them having done much given they told me no codes means no problem.

and now, after driving from Florida to Dallas, its throwing a p1285 and smells like gas. I'm having the worst week of my life

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RFC2324 posted:

no, didn't know you should check it while running. ill check again with it running once it cools down.

You usually want to check fluid level on auto trannies when they're up to temp and running. Generally.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

You usually want to check fluid level on auto trannies when they're up to temp and running. Generally.

Yup. Between the large volume of ATF in the system and how much the fluid itself expands when hot, my Jeep won't even have fluid on the dipstick if you check it when the fluid is 40 degrees or below.

My Honda is the only one I've ever seen or heard of that you don't check while running, and it's actually more obnoxious for it. You have to run it, warm it up, shut it off, then check it after 60-90 seconds.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup. Between the large volume of ATF in the system and how much the fluid itself expands when hot, my Jeep won't even have fluid on the dipstick if you check it when the fluid is 40 degrees or below.

My Honda is the only one I've ever seen or heard of that you don't check while running, and it's actually more obnoxious for it. You have to run it, warm it up, shut it off, then check it after 60-90 seconds.

My dual clutch GTI and a lot of newer cars have to get the trans up to the correct temperature (and view it with a scan tool/reader to actually see the temp) before you can check it accurately. Half the reason I bought a little dongle thing was to be able to change the trans fluid and fill it up correctly. :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

IOwnCalculus posted:

i checked it hot but not running so :shrug:

and I the situation it completely covered the white part that has the markings.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Running or not matters, the fluid in the sump settles at a different level when fluid's actively being pumped out vs when it's shut off and it can drain back. That can hide a slight low fluid level so it's best to be sure.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Something weird happened on the way home from work today. For about a mile through town my rear brakes were making a godawful screeching noise. Id apply some brake and its go away, let off and its fine back. Then it stopped all together.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

fps_bill posted:

Something weird happened on the way home from work today. For about a mile through town my rear brakes were making a godawful screeching noise. Id apply some brake and its go away, let off and its fine back. Then it stopped all together.

Rock probably got trapped between the backing plate and rotor. I've had that happen across several vehicles randomly and it makes the worst sound ever. Usually driving in reverse and stopping pops it out.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Guys I actually washed my car, in fact I spent 5 hours on the paint becuase it was in such bad shape.

It's really hard to show off white paint unfortunately but at least I know it's super nice for a while.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

BrownieVK posted:

Rock probably got trapped between the backing plate and rotor. I've had that happen across several vehicles randomly and it makes the worst sound ever. Usually driving in reverse and stopping pops it out.

That could be. I think my parking brake is sticking occasionally. My brothers driveway has a little bit of a grade to it and my car just sat there when it should have drifted.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've been putting 92 octane into my '16 ecoboost the entire time I've owned it so far and for the first time was forced into putting regular 87. Drove for about 6 hours on the highway and didn't notice any real performance impact or change in fuel economy or anything. Have I been wasting money this whole time?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Rex-Goliath posted:

I've been putting 92 octane into my '16 ecoboost the entire time I've owned it so far and for the first time was forced into putting regular 87. Drove for about 6 hours on the highway and didn't notice any real performance impact or change in fuel economy or anything. Have I been wasting money this whole time?

You lose like 15hp by default and the cars gonna pull a shitload of timing when it's hot but if you are just using the car for commuting you probably wouldn't notice much.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Rex-Goliath posted:

No, you're now relying on your knock sensor to dial back timing until it learns the new octane adjust ratio which isn't great. If you don't care about the added performance for premium fuel then stay on regular, just don't keep bouncing back and forth.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Knock sensor will pull timing. The ecoboost loses a lot more power than the coyote does.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
In the FoST the premium made a huge difference in highway economy. Not so much around town.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
This weekend I drove my car. A LOT, I put more miles on it this weekend than I the last 3 years combined. I had to stop for gas 3 times in one weekend. I added 567.1 miles and now a member of the 25k miles club. It only took me about 18 years to get there. Now I got a great brake story for you, I am so thankful it was not worse than it could have been.

Starting on Friday

This happened about 45 minutes from where I was actually driving too. A Caliper bolt actually fell off my car somewhere on the highway, and every time I would brake the caliper would roll off the rotor, and scrape my inner wheel. Then the remaining bolt would hold it in place and every time I braked, the caliper would snap back onto the rotor and make this absolutely horrible noise. I nursed the car to a Ford dealership about 10 miles away in Allentown PA. I told them my sob story, and they bumped me up the priority list, and fixed my car. the dealership said the remaining caliper bolt was on so loose from the vibrations that it would have fallen out very soon after If I did not stop in. I was back on the road in 20 miniutes!

This is where I went. I went to the American Muscle 2018 car show at Maple Grove Raceway.

I bought a ton of parts. Including 4 brand new BRAKE CALIPER BOLTS!!!!!!!!

Coming home at 1 in the morning.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm surprised you were able to find the keys.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

ilkhan posted:

I'm surprised you were able to find the keys.

haha! Yea, good one.
Honestly I would never have thought the brakes would fail on this trip. I was really betting on the intake manifold taking a s*** and cracking after all its almost 2 decades old and made of
stock brittle plastic. Fortunately from divine intervention, I was at a place that sells Mustang parts, so I bought new caliper bolts and a new intake manifold.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The alternative joke was about remembering where the gas goes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lol

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 10, 2021