Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm liking 5 more than I thought I would and more than 4 but about half the jokes are not landing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm really enjoying Season 5. It definitely feels disjointed in parts, but I've had a good share of belly laughs at jokes and snickers at clever moments. It definitely suffers from what most comedy shows do after a few seasons where characters become overt caricatures of themselves, but it doesn't feel like it's completely off the wagon yet, and it's more Arrested Development, which I'm always excited for.

I think it would work alot better if it had been released closer to Season 4, as it really is a direct continuation of many of the major plot points from there (for good in some cases, for worse in others), and keeps much of the same feel. (Same.) Having such a long gap seems to have caused many of the resolutions from that season to seem shoehorned in or glossed over due to availability of cast and time, and pretending it's still 2013-2015 feels almost as weird as Season 4 moments that pretended to be 2006.

I haven't been following the cast drama at all, so I won't comment on it, but with such drama and poor reception it sounds like we won't get a season 6. Hopefully they will wrap it up satisfactorily. Leaving Season 4 on a cliffhanger was a mistake.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Isometric Bacon posted:

I think it would work alot better if it had been released closer to Season 4, as it really is a direct continuation of many of the major plot points from there (for good in some cases, for worse in others), and keeps much of the same feel.

Eh. I mean this does feel a lot like the season 4 remix, and I don't say that in a good way. I honestly wonder if they didn't initially write it following the "one episode for each character" model only to later edit it into what we eventually got.

The original season 4 was a weird experiment but it had great jokes and it raelly paid off in the end. Unless the second half of this season is incredible, I don't think that's going to happen this time.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Kinda bullshit that I have to look somewhere other than Netflix to find out where the last 8 episodes are but I'm just a paying subscriber so gently caress me right

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
There isn't a less-flattering comparison they could've launched against than the season going live the same day as the new Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. My wife and I laughed more in the first ten minutes of the first Kimmy episode than we did in all 8 AD episodes.

And I'm not sure there's a better example of the decline than the Milford Academy Marching Band, which was a pretty great idea for a joke, but then executed completely wrong. In previous seasons, either they just would've been silently, shyly marching through the background with their banner, or they would've had John Beard say something like "Next up, a performance by the Milford Academy Marching Band..... wow, aren't they terrific" without the camera even cutting away from him. But instead, they set up the joke, spent a long time watching the band, and then capped it with a literal restatement of the callback in case you didn't get it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They made a huge mistake trying to ignore the fact that everyone is much older now. In season 4 it wasn't that bad, but it's now been 12 years since the original run ended and it shows. Jessica Walter is 77 and you can hear it in her voice, and David Cross and Will Arnett both just seem...tired (and Arnett's voice is less powerful which undermines the machismo that used to be such a core aspect of his character, but that they didn't really address in the writing). They could still do a good Arrested Development with all the actors as they are now, but instead they're trying to live in the past and pretend it's still 2006 (or even 2013). I think one of the reasons it's so unpleasant to watch is that every time anyone is on screen you're just reminded that everyone is old and that 2006 was a really long time ago, but the storyline requires you to forget about that for it to even make a little bit of sense. The scenes with Michael and George-Michael through the years at scuba class were painfully executed. I think Mitch Hurwitz thinks it's funny to hang a lantern on it but it mainly comes off like a bad Arrested Development SNL parody skit or something.

If they didn't want to abandon the season 4 plotlines they could have done something like 5 years later, Buster has been in prison after being wrongly convicted of Lucille Austero's murder or something. I still don't fully understand what is happening this season, and I don't even really know what the "main" plot is. Everyone is a supporting character. It's like a season-long episode of Seinfeld where everyone is Newman or Puddy.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There were a lot of ways they could've easily made an interesting story out of a five years later narrative, and for some reason they chose not to... and then they did bizarre stuff like retcon Buster's original arrest scene. Again, I just don't get some of these choices.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's set in 2015 right?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PostNouveau posted:

It's set in 2015 right?

Yes, two months after 4th May 2012.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Steve2911 posted:

Yes, two months after 4th May 2012.

There wasn't a Fourth of May this year.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

vseslav.botkin posted:

There's also weird stuff like Tobias' mustache

Tobias dyed his stache pink because Michael doesn't have a stache and he wanted to make the moustache match Michael's skin tone.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Ccs posted:

It really was best as Bush-era satire. I'll always have very fond memories of you, AD seasons 1-3.

It's very much a product of its time. It's like the revival of The X-Files, which is such a '90s conspiracy show that it doesn't quite work post-9/11. Even though the revival made overtures to newer conspiracies and ideas (an Alex Jones stand-in, that twitter bot the internet turned racist) and season 11 was pretty good overall it just doesn't work nearly as well in the present day.

AD is the same thing. Unless they retooled it to be something completely different with the same cast and characters, which season 4 at least attempted I guess, it was never going to work as well as it did.

Season 5 was kinda funny though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

AD would have totally worked in the early Obama era I think. Too much time has passed, Hurwitz lost his mojo, everybody else looks old as poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean s4 is still amazing and that was late Obama era

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think S4 was better than S3 but I just hated the entire Rita storyline and I only rewatch those episodes for Tobias/Gob’s plotlines and every single instance of “Mistah Effffff!”

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Maybe Mitch was sad about how most people didn't like Season 4 that much so he released Season 5, and now Season 4 is one of the classic ones.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Victorkm posted:

Tobias dyed his stache pink because Michael doesn't have a stache and he wanted to make the moustache match Michael's skin tone.

Right. That's one joke. With the blue paint they were doing stuff like leaving blue paint everywhere, blue paint on Kitty, night camo, actually joining the blue man group. Where are the other jokes?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://twitter.com/arresteddev/status/1004798419842498561

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

How could the artist leave out a crucial blood relative like Murphybrown

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

How could the artist leave out a crucial blood relative like Murphybrown

Him?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
He's definitely FBI. When we see him meet Tobias in the back half all will make sense.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
This season was okay, absolutely marred by that lovely interview from just before the release putting a nasty sheen on the whole thing. I'm mildly interested in seeing the end of season 5, but if they make a 6 I won't be watching.

Maeby was a highlight. Most of everyone else felt like a puppet version of an old character we know and love. The incessant "GOB is closeted" jokes were way, way too much, especially since the show already has a closeted Bluth whose sexuality comes out in nearly every single scene he's in. The BLUTH parodies of the Trump campaign signs were toothless, especially from a show that was remarkably prescient about how a rich moron in office might turn out. Should have just skipped that reference entirely if they weren't going to do anything with it besides a throwaway Lucille gag (which was, admittedly, hilarious, because Lucille best bluth).

e: come to think of it though, that would have worked just fine without the sign thing. Perhaps better. Oh well.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 8, 2018

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It was a decent one liner from Lucille, but it came at the cost of utterly destroy what little continuity the show has.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I missed the one liner, what was it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

She was mad Donny took her wall idea, but admired his new spin on it of "making Mexico pay for it".

Again, that was funny but it required making two months turn into three years.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
"hello, i'm a human being who is concerned about when arrested development seasons take place in real linear time"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nichael posted:

She was mad Donny took her wall idea, but admired his new spin on it of "making Mexico pay for it".

Again, that was funny but it required making two months turn into three years.

It also ruins the entire conceit of the series. It's the equivalent of George Sr looking into the camera and declaring 'You know, like Bush!'

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

It also ruins the entire conceit of the series. It's the equivalent of George Sr looking into the camera and declaring 'You know, like Bush!'

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also GOB, Job

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

John Ellis Bush
George Oscar Bluth

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This season was a real clunker. 4 was just disappointing for not being as good as 1-3 (though as others have said, the ambition and slow reveals helped to make up for some of that, and the recut made at least the first half of the season feel more like the original run), but this was both bad as a part of the series and honestly just bad television. I'm sure I'll finish the season out, more because 8 half hour episodes isn't a big ask than because I'm expecting a massive payoff, but this show needs to be mercy killed.

I 100% agree with everyone who says Maeby is a highlight this season, which is funny because she wasn't really a favorite of mine in the other seasons. Jessica Walter still delivers one liners incredibly well, but we can always get that from Archer instead of making her endure this bullshit. Jeffrey Tambor didn't really stand out to me as particularly good or bad (beyond just having bad material), but he was perfectly cast in The Death of Stalin, so if you're a fan of his despite everything, you should really check it out.

Tobias wasn't really funny in season 4 either, and I think it's more the material than David Cross making Tobias terrible at this point, but holy poo poo was he a comedy black hole.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

The incessant "GOB is closeted" jokes were way, way too much, especially since the show already has a closeted Bluth whose sexuality comes out in nearly every single scene he's in.

The gay panic feels like something from another decade, which I realize this show also is, but holy poo poo don't double down. At least they abandoned the Transparent jokes that would have been in unbelievably poor taste now, and weren't funny beyond a quick 'oh that's a reference to the tv show he's about to do' in the first place.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 9, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, I agree. I also thought season 4 did a good job of flipping the joke to "Tobias is pedophile" so it's weird that they went from that to jokes about how two characters are gay.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Sinteres posted:

Jessica Walter still delivers one liners incredibly well, but we can always get that from Archer instead of making her endure this bullshit.

Disagreed, sadly. Archer has been going downhill for years. For a couple seasons it was my favorite, then it was merely good and watchable, and now I just don't care.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

Disagreed, sadly. Archer has been going downhill for years. For a couple seasons it was my favorite, then it was merely good and watchable, and now I just don't care.

I think both shows have clearly lost a few steps, I'm just borderline actually mad at this one right now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sinteres posted:

The gay panic feels like something from another decade, which I realize this show also is, but holy poo poo don't double down. At least they abandoned the Transparent jokes that would have been in unbelievably poor taste now, and weren't funny beyond a quick 'oh that's a reference to the tv show he's about to do' in the first place.
They've been planning that poo poo out since the Second season my dude. go back and watch the episodes where he's stuck in the attic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Hurt people; hurt people" is a fantastic gag.

I'm 6 episodes in and most of the criticisms I've heard are accurate. There's still some really good stuff though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

They've been planning that poo poo out since the Second season my dude. go back and watch the episodes where he's stuck in the attic.

I don't have a problem with Gob being gay at all, I just think the specific way this season dealt with that storyline felt super dated. Especially since Tobias being gay (or at least being confused/in denial about being gay, like Gob was for most of this season) is still a punchline 15 years later. I'm not even talking about it being offensive, it just feels really out of place to be doubling down like that in 2018. If that's an integral part of the show, I think it's a good argument for letting the show die a natural death in the era it belonged to rather than playing Frankenstein with it twice now.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
GOB being closeted was something probably building in the original run but never given time to reveal, like Tobias being black. Remember the softball episode where he "played for the other team"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Okay, the chair's not doing it now but lately it's been giving out as soon as I lean back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I should be in this Poof!

• Locked thread