Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

This is clearly Two Bears High Fiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why doesn't Trump, the biggest cheese, just eat the other world leaders?

It is true what they say. Men are from Omicron Parmesan XII, women are from Omicron Parmesan IX.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Double Agent posted:

This is clearly Two Bears High Fiving

Excuse you, it's garden gnomes dancing.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Veni Vidi, your heart seems to be in the right place, but as others have pointed out, the delineation between "Down" and "Down's" isn't the greatest issue facing people with Down syndrome -- even just where language is concerned, as the article fizzymercy linked observes.

And, speaking of language:

Automatic Retard posted:

Nobody cares. Especially not the retards. Because they're too retarded to care. Stop being offended on other people's behalf.

dumb. posted:

fizzymercy posted:

I was only pretending to be retarded you guys holy goddamn.
I'm sure you two think you are being funny but what the hell.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jun 7, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Study: honey bees understand nothing

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

When I was a kid ants were my favorite animal ever but as an adult it’s slowly started to tilt towards bees

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Go gently caress yourself.

Splicer posted:

Oh sweet so you can easily provide links to advocacy websites saying "Down's syndrome is offensive terminology" so we can end this. (Dropping the "syndrome" is a whole other kettle of fish)

Literally in my first reply to him. If you want more strongly-worded versions, because those ones are too polite to say, “Don’t say Down’s, you rear end in a top hat,” read more of the literature, or the websites I linked, or just Google them. You’ll find plenty.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Veni Vidi, your heart seems to be in the right place, but as others have pointed out, the delineation between "Down" and "Down's" isn't the greatest issue facing people with Down syndrome -- even just where language is concerned, as the article fizzymercy linked observes.

I’m glad you realize I am arguing in good faith about something I believe to be important, but what you said there is literally the excuse used by everyone who doesn’t want to deal with some issue. “That doesn’t matter, because there’s this other, more important thing over here,” is the most common refrain of people who want to deflect attention or energy away from something they don’t want to deal with. Why are we wasting time on X when there are two billion starving people on Earth? The reason is, because two things can both be worth worrying about at the same time.

I’ll also point out, again, that all I did was aim a very modest bit of snark at the BBC, and the Down Syndrome thing was only 1/2 of that. It was literally one word under a picture. I didn’t start out with some diatribe about the Down Syndrome apostrophe.

Edit:

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I was a kid ants were my favorite animal ever but as an adult it’s slowly started to tilt towards bees

Wait, that’s new? I could swear I remember that making the news, before.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

One of my local parks was in the news recently. While the headline wasn't weird, see if you can guess the park's nickname.

Hint: Imagine Samuel L. Jackson saying it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I’m glad you realize I am arguing in good faith about something I believe to be important, but what you said there is literally the excuse used by everyone who doesn’t want to deal with some issue. “That doesn’t matter, because there’s this other, more important thing over here,” is the most common refrain of people who want to deflect attention or energy away from something they don’t want to deal with. Why are we wasting time on X when there are two billion starving people on Earth? The reason is, because two things can both be worth worrying about at the same time.

I’ll also point out, again, that all I did was aim a very modest bit of snark at the BBC, and the Down Syndrome thing was only 1/2 of that. It was literally one word under a picture. I didn’t start out with some diatribe about the Down Syndrome apostrophe.

I absolutely understand what you're saying, and I apologize, because I didn't mean to sound dismissive. I had not previously been aware there was a noticeable difference between the two spellings and I'm glad to have learned the distinction thanks to your posts. :) However, I do think it's probably best to allow the thread to move on.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I absolutely understand what you're saying, and I apologize, because I didn't mean to sound dismissive. I had not previously been aware there was a noticeable difference between the two spellings and I'm glad to have learned the distinction thanks to your posts. :) However, I do think it's probably best to allow the thread to move on.

You’re pretty OK for a SomethingAwful mod, and I’m happy to drop it. I thought it was over two days ago, then another reply appeared, and I failed to let it go. Arguing about it just makes me sad, anyway.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You’re pretty OK for a SomethingAwful mod, and I’m happy to drop it. I thought it was over two days ago, then another reply appeared, and I failed to let it go. Arguing about it just makes me sad, anyway.

I understand :) I appreciate your passion and I definitely have subject matters where, if I engage, I have trouble letting go, too.

In the spirit of thread content, this one's pretty old but always gives me a smile:

Sausage-addicted kookaburra too fat to fly
BIRD became so obese from barbecue handouts she was unable to escape mauling.

...despite the fact the second bit is emphasis theirs and always seems like a personal attack :argh:

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Jun 8, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Literally in my first reply to him. If you want more strongly-worded versions, because those ones are too polite to say, “Don’t say Down’s, you rear end in a top hat,” read more of the literature, or the websites I linked, or just Google them. You’ll find plenty.

Edit:

Wait, that’s new? I could swear I remember that making the news, before.

How is anyone this dumb

Every single source anyone had linked delineates between "improper use" and "offensive use". The apostrophe is wrong (in America) in much the same way it's wrong to say "ATM machine", but it isn't offensive!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
aaaaah please stop, my heart can't take another page of this

Which Ocean’s 8 Member Has the Most Powerful Lesbian Energy?

I wasn't aware such things could be measured in terms of power levels, but I'm sure lovely listicle clickbait would never lie to me.

Dachshundofdoom has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Jun 8, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

How is anyone this dumb

I don’t know. I guess you probably worked at it.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

aaaaah please stop engaging VVA, just look at his rapsheet, this is not someone worth arguing with

Lol, my rap sheet consists of two whole items.

Edit: Ahahaha, nice stealth edit. I guess you actually bothered to click on my rap sheet after you’d made your stupid comment.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I actually edited that because I didn't want to inflame you further or risk a probe for furthering this poo poo, but I did click on it. Racism and weird sexualized punishment fantasies aren't a good look.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I actually edited that because I didn't want to inflame you further or risk a probe for furthering this poo poo, but I did click on it. Racism and weird sexualized punishment fantasies aren't a good look.

I stand by both. The guy derved to be punished, and I can think of no better way than having his wife bang tons of dudes in hubby’s lovely theme-house. “Racism.” It was an obvious joke on the person in question being Dagestani, but whatever. I knew the risk when I posted it. This account is a year old, and those are the sum total of my transgressions. Lol that that makes me some sort of extra-bad poster.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

You are absolutely not arguing in good faith.

You are saying it's disrespectful to say Down's syndrome and claiming there are hundreds of advocates supporting that view point. That is wrong to the point of it being a lie. I've explained in detail where you are wrong and why. You have provided no source from your hundreds of advocates to support your viewpoint.

You are saying things which are demostrably wrong and saying you would have absolutely dropped it days ago but those gosh darn people keep posting to say how wrong you are. I have to echo the other guy in wondering how you can be so loving stupid.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

No more, please.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shut it down's.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I understand :) I appreciate your passion and I definitely have subject matters where, if I engage, I have trouble letting go, too.

In the spirit of thread content, this one's pretty old but always gives me a smile:

Sausage-addicted kookaburra too fat to fly
BIRD became so obese from barbecue handouts she was unable to escape mauling.

...despite the fact the second bit is emphasis theirs and always seems like a personal attack :argh:

I'm disappointed that this article didn't have a picture.

Have a picture of this rabbit instead.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Down's with VVAmeche, stand against his singular windmill fight! Seriously, probate him and the thread moves on.

He's bringing me Down.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

'Stupid' job opening in Philly: Tell PPA to leave us alone

quote:

Craigslist posting asks for someone reliable 'and not an idiot'

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hello, Sooty

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Chad Guinea Pig vs Incel Gerbil

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Religiously extreme couple loses child custody after stuffed lion purportedly transmitting the word of God acted as their lawyer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I blame CS Lewis.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Was hoping for a funny story but that made me a little sad...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It turns out Jesus isn't a very good lawyer. I guess his training is 2000 years out of date.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Lone Badger posted:

It turns out Jesus isn't a very good lawyer. I guess his training is 2000 years out of date.

First there was the Word, and the Word was :objection:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean, when you think of how Jesus's last case went, I don't think I'd want him representing me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Never call Jesus as a witness.

They’ll nail him on cross every time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Too soon

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Everyone knows lion in court is illegal.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Purrjury

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

That man has seen horrors, and clearly hasn't slept in years.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

'I lost 125 pounds and decided to get a divorce': Woman who changed her life after she 'saw a bigfoot' is SUING California after national park officials say it was just a bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Figures that the most likely explanation for Sasquatch is hairy gay people.