Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Computer, generate "Digital Leia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Episode IX is going to open after Leia's death, possibly with her funeral. To think anything else is happening is pure, straight theorycrafting or fanwank. Lucasfilm is not going to recast the most beloved actress of the Original Trilogy and after the backlash they got with the ghoulish appearance in Rogue One, they sure as hell are not taking that path.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

Abrams said that he and Terrio completely trashed Trevorrow's script when he was fired (and Trevorrow himself said that he intended Episode IX to heavily feature Leia), so...

Yeah Leia being incapacitated/otherwise out of action for much of VIII and then having a major role in IX was being talked about shortly after Force Awakens came out. They're only going to be able to do that now with a lookalike actress or a new character filling in for whatever she was to be doing. When I saw The Last Jedi I assumed the way Holdo was introduced meant she was going to fulfill that role in episode IX but whelp.

Speaking of Trevorrow we got around to seeing Jurassic World yesterday and wow, they made a flick worse than Jurassic Park 3.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I did just check and I can’t find a Kathleen Kennedy quote where she specifically rules out recasting Leia. She says they won’t CGI her and that Carrie won’t appear (from stock footage or whatever). Can anyone find her saying that Leia, the character, will not be in Episode IX?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I liked that fake leak about Rose, Poe, and Finn having a Temple-of-Doom-style dinner with the Hutts and DJ a lot more :sigh:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No Mods No Masters posted:

Computer, generate "Digital Leia"

Gimme a hat wobble.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Solo was vey meh and yeah the sound was kinda whack.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If those rumors are true I'm gonna be genuinely impressed at how Disney completely imploded a cultural touchstone so goddamn fast.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Barudak posted:

If those rumors are true I'm gonna be genuinely impressed at how Disney completely imploded a cultural touchstone so goddamn fast.

Said cultural touchstone already imploded 20 years ago, so they'd be imploding the implosion

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Trevorrow we got around to seeing Jurassic World yesterday and wow, they made a flick worse than Jurassic Park 3.

Joe Johnston is a good director from time-to-time. Trevorrow's best film is a bottom-tier indie comedy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Said cultural touchstone already imploded 20 years ago, so they'd be imploding the implosion

The prequels wounded it but it held on. This is taking it out back and double-tapping it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

There's no way they recast Leia and Episode IX is obviously gonna start with her funeral. Anything else would be totally insane.

But I also think it'll be crazy if they don't revisit DJ, unless they're saving him for Johnson's separate trilogy. He was my favourite part of TLJ. I love Benicio and his mellow Roger Rabbit-meets-Han Solo vibe was very dope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zoran posted:

I did just check and I can’t find a Kathleen Kennedy quote where she specifically rules out recasting Leia. She says they won’t CGI her and that Carrie won’t appear (from stock footage or whatever). Can anyone find her saying that Leia, the character, will not be in Episode IX?

It’s the first thing on google

https://futurism.media/carrie-fisher-will-not-be-in-star-wars-episode-9-lucasfilm-confirms-no-cgi-and-no-extra-the-last-jedi-footage

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Did you, uh, read my post?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Joe Johnston is a good director from time-to-time. Trevorrow's best film is a bottom-tier indie comedy.

He's good but Jurassic World was not one of those times.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Neo Rasa posted:

He's good but Jurassic World was not one of those times.

You mean Jurassic Park III? I agree. But the birdcage setpiece is still better than anything in World.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
If Disney wants to recast Leia, they will announce it way ahead of time to lessen the shock. if Meryl Streep is small, she would back out of this role offer and leave the cluster gently caress to Disney themselves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope they just write Leia out. Recasting her would be awful and ruin the movie for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recasting the character seems reasonably likely, but I suppose we'll see.

I've also seen those spoilers linked previously before - I suppose we'll have a clearer idea when the trailer comes out next year, but in the meantime, if they announce they're recasting Leia, then that will probably confirm them. They sound very odd.

I bet the casting call for an older female character will be Rey's real mother, whose name is also Leia, and when she confronts Kylo she'll beg him to save Leia and he'll go, "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!" because Chris Terrio.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 10, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The thing I found interesting about that source was his stuff about how Johnson's trilogy will be post episode 9 and episode 9 won't be tying things up at all. Full Marvel, I guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I missed that bit - do you have a link to that?

It's interesting how early spoilers affect one's view of the movie. I remember in early 2015 I heard some spoilers for TFA which indicated that the Resistance would have a superweapon of their own which they'd use to disable the First Order star destroyers so Poe's squadron could get through, and I kept expecting that when I saw the movie in the theatre.

Likewise, I'd read that spoiler synopsis of TLJ early in 2017 and kept expecting that Rose would betray Finn to Captain Phasma on Canto Bight (I'm pretty sure Holdo wasn't mentioned at all in any of the spoiler summaries I'd seen to that point). In any event, I'd heard some other spoilers for TLJ about how Hux was going to be killed by Snoke right at the very beginning as a punishment for losing Starkiller Base so I was really confused about why Domhnall Gleason was in so much of the pre-release publicity. Likewise, I recall hearing that Snoke was going to temporarily turn Rey to the dark side and then Luke and Finn were going to have to duel her, Kylo and some other fucker Snoke had hanging about called Ivan or something.

Does anyone remember the one spoiler for TLJ where Rey was going ask Luke, "Are you my father?" and he was going to say, "No, you're my father!" and explain that she's a reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker? Because I do. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 10, 2018

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The leak doesn't sound so bad, unless Kylo is the dad then uggghhhh. It'd be funny if the weird thing Palpatine sensed in the Unknown Regions is just a shitload of potential slave labor. It's very....imperial. Ending the movie with the Known and Unknown regions prepping for a Star War is a drag but lol if you thought Disney wasn't going to keep going forward, especially with Solo hinting at diminishing returns on prequels.

Recast Leia, I don't care. I think the misgivings are exaggerated and it wouldn't even be the 'worse' thing in these reboots.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Why is reylo happening such a bad thing

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Wild Horses posted:

Why is reylo happening such a bad thing

People are still shipping Rei and Finn.

I personally just don't like the story center so much around a person who commit patricide. You dial it up to the Greek tragedy proportion in a PG13 movie feel tonally wrong, yet there is no pay off. This act was barely mentioned in the follow up movie. Kylo dying in the end of a trilogy to me is not a proper payoff. And according to the rumor they are not even going to kill him in E9. They are just going to turn him into Thanos. Really?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Kylo ren going above and beyond normality is the only thing saving these movies

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

The thing I found interesting about that source was his stuff about how Johnson's trilogy will be post episode 9 and episode 9 won't be tying things up at all. Full Marvel, I guess.

I just assumed this was the case from the getgo and that his trilogy would be Episodes X/XI/XII.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

LesterGroans posted:

You mean Jurassic Park III? I agree. But the birdcage setpiece is still better than anything in World.

Same guy who directed that also designed half the ships in Star Wars

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

tino posted:

People are still shipping Rei and Finn.

Finn and Rey are the male and female leads, and Finn's basically defined by his devotion to Rey. That's a lot less inexplicable than reading a romance into the relationship between the neo-nazi and the woman he tortures and treats with contempt...

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Angry Salami posted:

Finn and Rey are the male and female leads, and Finn's basically defined by his devotion to Rey. That's a lot less inexplicable than reading a romance into the relationship between the neo-nazi and the woman he tortures and treats with contempt...

Rei is such a blank persona I have no idea what she wants. For all I know she is asexual.

I am not buying that stockholm syndrome relationship either.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Angry Salami posted:

Exactly correct.

Finn's motivation is REY and nothing else, because.......
Rey's motivation is.............???

I just sat and stared at the wall for a good five minutes, I can't imagine any kind of satisfactory ending could be made out of this mess. Mostly because the characters are all absolutely terrible and it's impossible to give a poo poo about any of them. Consider the ending of TESB with all the threads it had set up to be paid off with TLJ which just wet-farted its way to a conclusion.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kylo Ren successfully seducing Rey is the greatest taboo possible in these movies. The Last Jedi shows it as a prospect as unimaginable as Luke Skywalker joining with Darth Vader.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

He’s a buff fascist warrior with a soft side just like his grandpa on his mother’s side. It obviously worked wonders with padme

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The Finn/Rei relationship in TFA was a conspiracy to bait the social progressive and SJW types to get on the wagon, Episode IX will pull the rugs off their feet and Rei will come out as a submissive Nazi lover, because Kethleen Kennidy is master troll secret woman hater something something like that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tino posted:

The Finn/Rei relationship in TFA was a conspiracy to bait the social progressive and SJW types to get on the wagon, Episode IX will pull the rugs off their feet and Rei will come out as a submissive Nazi lover, because Kethleen Kennidy is master troll secret woman hater something something like that.

Rey is Kathleen Kennedy's self-insert character she's not a troll she just has the hots for Adam Driver.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Hey listen in the movies fascism clearly works better than republicanism
Kylo is a goddamn hero

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sassassin posted:

Rey is Kathleen Kennedy's self-insert character she's not a troll she just has the hots for Adam Driver.

This is the most sensible explanation I’ve heard.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I think it's less re-casting Leia and more giving Leia's role to another character

Sorta like how Holdo took over Ackbar's role in TLJ after his actor passed away

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How on earth do they write themselves the perfect excuse to write out the dead actress but still insist on using her either as a ghoulish graphical golem or a recast her
Like literally no one will be happy with whatever decision they make

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AlternateAccount posted:

Rey's motivation is.............???

To belong somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

To belong somewhere.

That's a platitude. She already belonged somewhere (Jakku), now she's just generically opposed to Bad Guys.