Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

The best thing Chibnall could do is gently caress up the TARDIS so the Doctor can't control it again and has to try to get them home. Or they have to search for a Time Macguffin and can't stop to see mum.

Or you could have characters who neither need nor want to go home every five loving minutes to get a pint of milk. Like, if the TARDIS showed up outside your home this evening, is there really anyone in here who wouldn't just be "see ya, fuckers, I'll send a postcard from 49th-century Blackpool"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

“Release the McNugget Scouts!”

So that's why the Dalek shuttle looks like that:

Seriously, I was watching that with someone who hadn't seen it before and he said "What is that, a Big Mac and fries coming down?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Trin Tragula posted:

Or you could have characters who neither need nor want to go home every five loving minutes to get a pint of milk. Like, if the TARDIS showed up outside your home this evening, is there really anyone in here who wouldn't just be "see ya, fuckers, I'll send a postcard from 49th-century Blackpool"?

That's what made Jamie one of the best companions of the classic era. He wasn't moaning about going home and pining for Scotland all the time, he loved traveling with the Doctor and having adventures with him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

Watching people discover classic Who during this Twitch marathon is like the only time I've ever found Twitch comments worthwhile.

Everyone wanting Ian and Barbara to just kiss already was a highlight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, The Husbands of River Song shouldn't work but for me, it does. Having gone through a messy divorce recently, "Happy ever after doesn't mean forever ... it just means time" punches me right in the kidneys and then twists around to make it hurt a little more.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I liked it when companions would just leave because they felt like they'd had enough, or that whatever time/place they were on needed their help, or whatever. I think those kinds of endings could be worked in even with the new approach. The finales where they're separated forever by circumstance are probably more of a modern TV thing, giving the audience a big dramatic sendoff.

One part of why I love Clara's ending is that she and the Doctor realize their relationship has grown too codependent and mutually destructive, so even though there are huge universe-shattering aspects to her departure, it's ultimately down to her choosing to leave and do her own thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But Clara ends up exactly where she was earlier (to her) that day. Travelling the universe in a TARDIS with an immortal being looking for adventure. Plus she never has to die until she wants to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know why but the above exchange reminded me of the Daleks involuntarily recoiling when 12 rolls out in Davros' chair, and his little,"Admit it, you've had nightmares about this" line :laugh:

Capaldi was so good at these kinds of specific moments in a way that I don't think anyone has been since the Fourth Doctor. I really can't wait for him to have his space from the show and to embrace the delicious catering of Nicholas Briggs's Big Finish.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi everyone, just popping in with a reminder that the thirteenth doctor is a lady and that’s it’s half a year or more before we get to see her! Welp bye!

*vworp vworp*

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is there a reason why Clara shouldn't get to go off and have amazing adventures with Ashilde? Is it because she heroically saved a kid's life? Is it because the Doctor might not then feel sufficiently bad about Yet Another Companion meeting a bad end because of him?

Like, I don't really think the 'Clara and the Doctor's relationship is toxic' thing quite works, but I largely like the shape of the story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi everyone, just popping in with a reminder that the thirteenth doctor is a lady

*vworp vworp*

Wellllllll, she's a woman, anyway. I don't know that she as any particular claim to nobility, but either way, it's exciting.

Chokes McGee posted:

and that’s it’s half a year or more before we get to see her! Welp bye!

Fuuuuuuuuuck

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I thought it was gonna be like 3-4 months?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I thought it was gonna be like 3-4 months?

It seems like that it won't be until about November at this point :(

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Now I want a multi-Doctor episode featuring Thirteen so that we can have one of the other characters say: "I quite liked her, but I couldn't stand him" at the end of it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Bicyclops posted:

It seems like that it won't be until about November at this point :(

What? It's been pretty consistently October.
It is also worth noting that they are still filming the season, so the wait is normal. Allowance for a new production team, too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Wellllllll, she's a woman, anyway. I don't know that she as any particular claim to nobility, but either way, it's exciting.

erm

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ha I just remembered Moffat said one of the Doctor's children was the president

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

anyway there's probably nothing wrong with clara's fate in isolation but what cheesed a lot of people off about her was that she had a real air of being Moffat's pet character, and getting to be immortal and going off with another immortal to have adventures forever in her very own tardis is the most emphatic way he could have confirmed that idea

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

docbeard posted:

Is there a reason why Clara shouldn't get to go off and have amazing adventures with Ashilde? Is it because she heroically saved a kid's life? Is it because the Doctor might not then feel sufficiently bad about Yet Another Companion meeting a bad end because of him?

Fan service? IDK. I've given up trying to make sense of Moffat arcs.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Time hardly counts, it's so such a small domain.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Dabir posted:

anyway there's probably nothing wrong with clara's fate in isolation but what cheesed a lot of people off about her was that she had a real air of being Moffat's pet character, and getting to be immortal and going off with another immortal to have adventures forever in her very own tardis is the most emphatic way he could have confirmed that idea

What annoyed me was that at least early on she wasn't so much a character, but basically a cardboard cutout with "companion" written on it. She actually started to grow on me once they started writing her as an actual person though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Timby posted:

Yeah, The Husbands of River Song shouldn't work but for me, it does.

It's the kind of story that wouldn't work unless you lean in so far you fall over. Christmas is the perfect time for it.

See also: the Tinkerbell Jesus scene in "Last of the Time Lords".

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dabir posted:

Hmm.
Rose: ends up on an alternate Earth with her mum and dad and human Ten. Fan reaction? Cheesed.
Martha: ends up appearing briefly on Torchwood and then coupled with Micky out of nowhere. Fan reaction? Scornful.
Jack: gets to be immortal. Downside: stars on Torchwood. Fan reaction? Mixed.
Donna: ends up having her memory (and character growth) scrubbed after being the first non-Time Lord companion given the chance to be the Doctor's equal. Fan reaction? Deeply pleased and traumatized.
Amy and Rory: get separated from the Doctor by a Weeping Angel and live complete lives together in New York City. Fan reaction? Pissed.
River Song: "River Song has been saved." Fan reaction? Bemused, then annoyed.
Clara: Refuses to get the Donna send-off. Goes off in a TARDIS to have adventures with Me. Fan reaction? Cheesed again. A companion who isn't dead or brain-wiped is clearly a Mary Sue.
Bill: Goes off in a liquid whatever-it-is as a liquid with liquid girlfriend to have adventures. Immortality possible but unclear. Fan reaction? Eye-rolling.

Conclusion? Doctor Who fans are terrible. Signed, A Fan.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Narsham posted:

Hmm.
Rose: ends up on an alternate Earth with her mum and dad and human Ten. Fan reaction? Cheesed.
Martha: ends up appearing briefly on Torchwood and then coupled with Micky out of nowhere. Fan reaction? Scornful.
Donna: ends up having her memory (and character growth) scrubbed after being the first non-Time Lord companion given the chance to be the Doctor's equal. Fan reaction? Deeply pleased and traumatized.
Amy and Rory: get separated from the Doctor by a Weeping Angel and live complete lives together in New York City. Fan reaction? Pissed.
Clara: Refuses to get the Donna send-off. Goes off in a TARDIS to have adventures with Me. Fan reaction? Cheesed again. A companion who isn't dead or brain-wiped is clearly a Mary Sue.
Bill: Goes off in a liquid whatever-it-is as a liquid with liquid girlfriend to have adventures. Immortality possible but unclear. Fan reaction? Eye-rolling.

I would take Doctor Who fans over fans of most properties, still, given their biggest failings are lazy criticism, and never loving knowing what they actually want.
there's not anywhere near as much hosed-up sex stuff, sooooo...

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Doctor Who fans: Hard to please, but at least they're not Star Wars fans.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spatula City posted:

I would take Doctor Who fans over fans of most properties, still, given their biggest failings are lazy criticism, and never loving knowing what they actually want.
there's not anywhere near as much hosed-up sex stuff, sooooo...

yeah, the hosed up sex poo poo was punted off to Torchwood

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FreezingInferno posted:

Doctor Who fans: Hard to please, but at least they're not Star Wars fans.

Give them time. I'm sure Jodie's going to get a fuckload of harassment once her series begins.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Give them time. I'm sure Jodie's going to get a fuckload of harassment once her series begins.

eeeesh, I don't even want to think about it. I'm just gonna have to not read any comments on Doctor Who articles and Youtube videos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spatula City posted:

eeeesh, I don't even want to think about it. I'm just gonna have to not read any comments on Doctor Who articles and Youtube videos.

It's already happening but once she's on the air it's gonna get BAD.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Narsham posted:

Hmm.

I mean those are all pretty bad tbf.

I liked Martha's initial departure and I liked Clara's, though.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Has anyone listened to that Jenny set yet? I bought it, and was just wondering if anyone's beaten me to listening and could give impressions.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Has anyone listened to that Jenny set yet? I bought it, and was just wondering if anyone's beaten me to listening and could give impressions.

Would also be interested to hear from anyone here. Been kinda tempted to check it out despite not having much interest at announcement since the impressions over at GB and the Divergent Universe have been positive

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Astroman posted:

Part of the issue is what RTD established from episode 1 of the revival--the Doctor has full control of the TARDIS, mom and dad are a spacetime mobile call away, companions can always go home for weekends, we're always popping in to visit home, etc.
Except 3 episodes in when The Doctor fucks up and they arrive in London a whole year late

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Bicyclops posted:

I mean those are all pretty bad tbf.

I liked Martha's initial departure and I liked Clara's, though.

Probably everyone has at least one or two companion departures that worked for them (for me it was Donna and Bill), but as always the loudest voices predominate every time so it looks like "oh the fans hate everything". Problem of viewing fandom in the aggregate.

Plus the series finales were often derided as overloaded, disappointing messes (again, by different people at different times) and that will color peoples' impressions of the accompanying companion departures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best companion departures are Tegan because she was traumatized and couldn't deal with it any longer and Adric because he was loving dead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The old series had a lot of bad exits too, especially after the Doctor had better control of the TARDIS. Like Jo, Sarah Jane, Peri, etc.

Usually it comes out of nowhere and is very contrived, "I just met a man 3 episodes ago and now I'm in love BYE!" "You can't travel with me anymore because Time Lord Rules and sadly I simply won;t come back for you later" or "I must go now, my home planet needs me"

It's because actors leave suddenly or the producers decide to fire them and the writers have to scramble. But it would be nice if they would choose to leave due to some character growth. Martha kind of had that, and at least Nyssa left for altruistic reasons.

Rhyno posted:

The best companion departures are Tegan because she was traumatized and couldn't deal with it any longer and Adric because he was loving dead.

Yeah Tegan was good, she chose it for good personal reasons.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The perfect opportunity for a departure was God Complex/The Girl Who Waited (even better if the episodes had happened in that order). Both episodes were so well crafted in showing the maturation of Amy and Rory's relationship, and how their relationship to the Doctor was no longer the childlike wonder it once was, and how maintaining both relationships wasn't sustainable. The choice to leave would have felt like a natural, organic consequence of their character growth... but then they stuck around for another half series so it was 'magic time travel barrier goodbye forever'.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Astroman posted:

The old series had a lot of bad exits too, especially after the Doctor had better control of the TARDIS. Like Jo, Sarah Jane, Peri, etc.

The worst exit was Leela, who out of nowhere announced she was in love with a guy who had had 6-7 minutes of airtime and zero chemistry with her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The worst exit (which was fitting, as she was one of the worst characters) was Dodo. She literally just stopped being in the show halfway through a story and the Doctor's new companions told him,"Oh yeah she just decided to stay here" and he was all,"Whatever :shrug:" and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The worst exit (which was fitting, as she was one of the worst characters) was Dodo. She literally just stopped being in the show halfway through a story and the Doctor's new companions told him,"Oh yeah she just decided to stay here" and he was all,"Whatever :shrug:" and that was that.

She wandered out of the TARDIS as randomly as she wandered into it.

• Locked thread