Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but out of curiosity, is the live action adaption of Sailor Moon they made a while back any good?

If you enjoy watching Sentai or Kamen Rider there are aspects of the Sailor Moon live action that will be entertaining. I believe that it covers the Beryl arc but has some interesting takes on the manga and anime. The fights are amazing and silly and takes a hard right turn halfway through. I still recommend the live action to anyone that's interested in Sailor Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/sesoken/status/1003994024439496705

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ty all who told me to watch gopri

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Minami's entire character arc is very gay yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why is the original Pretty Cure the only season currently available on Crunchyroll? Also, are there any other legal streaming sites where I can find other seasons (I have backup sources for all of them of course but some official ones would be nice as well)?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The only streaming season are the original on CR which is 90's VHS fansub quality and the two dubbed Glitter Force season on Netflix. As for why those are the only seasons?Crunchyroll has tried to pick it up but either Toei wants somebody to pick up the rights to all the season or they want it to be an actual kids show dub like Glitter Force (see also Toei and the Kamen Rider series). Toei's been a lot better at letting there shows get streamed in English but Precure still seems to be stuck in this void which is annoying given how good the last few seasons have been

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good ol' Toei, allows UK Streaming of the poo poo part of Sailor Moon Crystal, region locks the one good season (Also Digimon Tri, though that might have been more a service in the long run).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Toei doesn't seem too keen on releasing a lot of its stuff in the west for some reason. The only other shows of theirs I know of that are available for legal streaming are Zyuranger through Megaranger via Shout Factory's website.

Also, apparently the original Pretty Cure got a dub as well though it only aired in Canada and the UK. Apart from some changes to a few cultural references and character names it was actually a fairly faithful adaption as far as I can tell.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 7, 2018

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

The Colonel posted:

ty all who told me to watch gopri

There is no heterosexual explanation for this

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

What good friends

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thing is this is the tamest of the Minami episodes.

The episode with the so called fiancee is the greatest bait and switch Precure has done and is super gay

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 11, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is it worth it to watch the original Sailor Moon anime in its entirety or would it be better to just watch Crystal and then go back and watch SuperS and Sailor Stars (I think the current run of Crystal has covered up to Sailor Moon S at any rate, correct me if I'm wrong)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 9, 2018

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Larryb posted:

So is it worth it to watch the original Sailor Moon anime in its entirety or would it be better to just watch Crystal and then go back and watch SuperS and Sailor Stars (I think the current run of Crystal has covered up to Sailor Moon S at any rate, correct me if I'm wrong)?

In my opinion you should definitely watch the 90s anime first if you've never read the manga. Crystal follows the manga to an almost fault so the pacing is very fast. There are 3 seasons to Crystal and where it currently is would be the end of Sailor Moon S. They are working on a movie to cover SS. The anime aired while the manga was still going so while there are filler episodes I feel that they serve to develop the characters and you can see the friendship develop. The 90s anime is also good to see where Toei took ideas for Pretty Cure after Sailor Moon end. It's also worth watching because Tuxedo Kamen throws roses in the 90s anime and didn't in Crystal which is a crime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

In my opinion you should definitely watch the 90s anime first if you've never read the manga. Crystal follows the manga to an almost fault so the pacing is very fast. There are 3 seasons to Crystal and where it currently is would be the end of Sailor Moon S. They are working on a movie to cover SS. The anime aired while the manga was still going so while there are filler episodes I feel that they serve to develop the characters and you can see the friendship develop. The 90s anime is also good to see where Toei took ideas for Pretty Cure after Sailor Moon end. It's also worth watching because Tuxedo Kamen throws roses in the 90s anime and didn't in Crystal which is a crime.

Ah, wasn't entirely clear whether or not this was an FMA: Brotherhood situation where the remake was generally considered the better show. I'll just stick to my original plan and watch both then (plus the live action series as well just because I feel like it).

Plus I heard that in Crystal pretty much any Scout not named Usagi or Chibiusa doesn't get a whole lot of focus in the series so all the more reason to see the original first.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 9, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Larryb posted:

Watch the original, don't bother watching Crystal

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch the original, don't bother watching Crystal

Agreed. Crystal is an abomination.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
og sailor moon can drag a bit and occasionally there are a few bad episodes that don't contribute anything and stick out really badly, but largely the creative turns it takes compared to the manga make it a lot more stylish and lend more neglected characters a lot more personality than the manga gave them

it's a shame because the newer seasons of crystal actually look really nice but i can't imagine sailor moon s being as fun of a ride without all the stuff the original anime added

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

og sailor moon can drag a bit and occasionally there are a few bad episodes that don't contribute anything and stick out really badly, but largely the creative turns it takes compared to the manga make it a lot more stylish and lend more neglected characters a lot more personality than the manga gave them

it's a shame because the newer seasons of crystal actually look really nice but i can't imagine sailor moon s being as fun of a ride without all the stuff the original anime added

So you would say this is one of the cases where the anime (the 90's version at any rate) is actually better than the manga in most aspects?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

So you would say this is one of the cases where the anime (the 90's version at any rate) is actually better than the manga in most aspects?

The manga is the weakest version of Sailor Moon and part of the reason why Crystal season 1 is so bleah is it stays way to close to the manga. Of course the fact that Toei was a mess production wise at the time also didn't help (Hi Happiness Charge Precure)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheIvanhobe/status/1005133770989527040

I never hated Doremi releases even with the issues but a 1080p source and a cleaned up translation is a good reason to rewatch Go Princess

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
“Scrubbed”? 🤔

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It just means re-edits of existing subs along with presumably better video quality

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The manga is the weakest version of Sailor Moon and part of the reason why Crystal season 1 is so bleah is it stays way to close to the manga. Of course the fact that Toei was a mess production wise at the time also didn't help (Hi Happiness Charge Precure)

Hell, if what I've heard is correct the only reason the manga kept going at all was because of the original anime's popularity (I believe the first arc of the series was originally supposed to be the only one).

Which is also why the second season opens with a filler arc, they needed to give the original creator time to come up with a continuation for the manga. Though I believe I've also heard that said creator didn't particularly like the 90's series all that much for whatever reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 10, 2018

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Larryb posted:

Hell, if what I've heard is correct the only reason the manga kept going at all was because of the original anime's popularity (I believe the first arc of the series was originally supposed to be the only one).

Which is also why the second season opens with a filler arc, they needed to give the original creator time to come up with a continuation for the manga. Though I believe I've also heard that said creator didn't particularly like the 90's series all that much for whatever reason.

Interviews with her give the impression she thinks the first anime adaptation felt a bit too much like a shonen action series. They had to stretch it out into a monster-of-the-week format to avoid getting too far ahead of the manga, so it's not a completely groundless comment but there were reasons it was done that way. Some of the characters are also significantly different between the manga and the 90s anime, especially Rei.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
takeuchi doesn't like the 90s series because she got cut out of making creative decisions on it and the staff were allowed to do a couple things she wanted to do but wasn't given the go-ahead for, like killing all of the sailor soldiers at the end of s1. which, is fair, if a bit frustrating that it sounds like she had a weirder way of approaching a lot of the characters

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For villains from Go Princesses I quite liked Close.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MonsterEnvy posted:

For villains from Go Princesses I quite liked Close.

I like how his name is also a pun on Crows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My reaction to Emiru on Hugtto's brother everytime he's on screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hOM1HhlVI

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Emiru's brother being such a poo poo is really driven home by the fact that Aoi's family was way more accepting of her

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Beato Believer posted:

Agreed. Crystal is an abomination.

Season 1 is an unholy mess that seems largely made on the threat of Toei losing the rights so they slapdashed something together in the hopes of riding off the nostalgia which, given Digimon Tri (or indeed any other time Digimon's tried to reference the older series, Xross Wars 2, anyone?) almost never works out for them.

"Season 2" was less egregious, seemed to be possessed of some personality that wasn't "FOLLOW THE COMIC OR WE ALL DIE" (And found a pretty good middle ground for Diamond) but still susceptible to moments of jank.

Season 3, whilst largely perfunctory due to the fact that Super is one of the best seasons of the original, (and closest to source, not that's an indication of quality what with Crystal Season One and all) was actually good but then that was because Chiaki Kon took the production by the neck and even that's been soured by the whole "Season four is going be movies because we learned absolutely nothing from Tri being a load of wank" thing.

Which is a shame too. SuperS needs a redo badly and Stars could do with not being six episodes of what SuperS should have been, thirteen episodes of waffle and five really good episodes.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hopefully the SuperS adaption (do we even have a release date for that yet?) being a movie is just a fluke and they'll go back to normal episodes if and when they get around to doing Stars. Stars is sort of unique from the rest at any rate, it's the only season where they bothered to change the opening theme song, the only one where Sailor Moon herself was not involved in the first fight of the series and, until the current redub gets to it at least, was the only season that was never shown in America (though I think that was mostly due to them losing the license for the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I just watched the first episode of the live action Sailor Moon series. It's actually a lot better than I was expecting, it's different enough from the first season to be seen as its own unique thing (they didn't really put much effort into finding actors that actually looked like their anime/manga counterparts but it still works well enough) and I like that in this version transforming changes more than just the clothes the girls are wearing. They probably could have done something better with Luna besides "animated plush toy" though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 10, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
They’ll do more with Luna.... it’s not necessarily better but it’s very different

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

They’ll do more with Luna.... it’s not necessarily better but it’s very different

I know some stuff about that (like how she eventually becomes a Sailor Scout herself) but it's still a little weird. Honestly just using a real cat probably would have been preferable to what we got (it just looks super fake even by toku standards), though that might have made it harder to pull some scenes off. Still though, so far this show more or less seems to be "Crystal, only good". It seems to stick a bit closer to the manga (what with Ami debuting in the second episode and all) but it also is free to do its own thing.

Also like I said before, I like how the Sailor Scouts actually look like different people when they transform in this version. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the original gave any explanation as to why nobody could recognize the girls in Sailor form despite the fact that their faces aren't hidden or altered in any way.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 10, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Live action starts out being very faithful to the manga but soon does it's own thing very quickly and has the most unique Dark Kingdom story arc of any Sailor Moon. Also Sailor Luna

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
PG Sailor Moon I think has to be appreciated for how they made a single season of Sailor Moon self contained.

I think the way they handled (Mid to Endgame) Usagi's Princess form less as a Disney Princess who got herself caught up in a deadly war and more a raw force of nature to the tune of Berserk Eva 01 was a very interesting take on the idea and certainly in tune with how Heisei Kamen Rider was conducting itself at the time with the likes of Faiz.

The fact that Takeouchi drew design sketches of her all happy and such was sort of hilarious too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I do like that Luna still retains the same VA in the live action adaption as she did in the 90's show at the very least. Related to that, did any of the original actors in the Japanese version return to reprise their roles in Crystal or did everyone just get recast?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just Usagi's (Kotono Mitsuishi) which is a bit odd because, just to draw a name from a hat, Sailor Mercury's VA (Aya Hisakawa) is still active (She was and still is Kreo in Cardcaptor Sakura, she is the new voice of Bulma after Hiromi Tsuru's passing earlier this year and, er, Queen Butterfly in the JP dub of Star vs The Forces of Evil so go fig.)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I am hyped.