Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
“No ones going to get that”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So maybe season 10 won't be the last?
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/archer-not-ending-season-10-danger-island-interview-1201955795/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This bit was interesting and doesn't really seem to make sense with the current seasons.

quote:

“If you think interest is flagging, that’s always a great way to make people pay attention,” Reed said in an interview with IndieWire. Even though Reed said he’s “always volunteering to kill Ray,” the character he’s voiced for nine seasons, the writer doesn’t treat his characters as a mere means to make headlines — even the small ones. In Season 5, a perpetually bulletproof recurring character named Brett Bunson took a fatal shot to the head.

“We all took that really hard at the office because Neal Holman, our art director, has always voiced Brett,” Reed said. “We all miss Brett, but we can’t bring him back unless you want to do some crazy retcon, and then it sort of lowers the stakes.”

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So was this the first episode with uncensored F bombs?

e: WAIT
Next week is the season finale!?
uhhhh....wow. That's pretty darn...bad.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 7, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I enjoyed the Nazi-killing villagers, personally.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Postal Parcel posted:

So was this the first episode with uncensored F bombs?

e: WAIT
Next week is the season finale!?
uhhhh....wow. That's pretty darn...bad.

I think so, over the last couple months between Atlanta, Legion, and this (and maybe other stuff?) the swearing valve has been completely opened. And I feel I heard it somewhere else, like American Dad, but I dunno.

And I will also register surprise at next week (Ep. 8) being the finale.

I thought the video game comparison ending with Wolfenstein 3D mecha-hitler was pretty great.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That was a fun episode.

Coconut bikini Pam is disturbingly hot.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Laterite posted:

Pam is disturbingly hot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought these were ten episode seasons?

Unless next year is 12?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Zachack posted:

I think so, over the last couple months between Atlanta, Legion, and this (and maybe other stuff?) the swearing valve has been completely opened. And I feel I heard it somewhere else, like American Dad, but I dunno.

And I will also register surprise at next week (Ep. 8) being the finale.

I thought the video game comparison ending with Wolfenstein 3D mecha-hitler was pretty great.

"You want Fuchs? Because this is how you get Fuchs?"

He really started spouting off the catch phrases from past seasons in this episode, and I don't mind that at all. And at the very end, seeing how the cocaine/meth left him with a white Hitler mustache and his hair was messed up into looking vaguely Hitler-y... well, I had to pause it so I could finish laughing.

I also laughed out loud at Noah's apparent fascination with etymology, and how much it annoyed Archer.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Nazi punks gently caress off!

Love that parrot.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Back when FX renewed Archer for seasons 8, 9, and 10, it was announced that all three would be 8 episodes apiece.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I just might forgive everything that's not great about this season because the parrot is so loving adorable.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

I just might forgive everything that's not great about this season because the parrot is so loving adorable.

Well, actually, technically, he's a macaw, which is actually a type of parrot. So, he's... technically a parrot, actually, but I mean technically he's—

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This would be interesting, although what I REALLY hope they end up doing is bringing Archer back as a cyborg.

His fear of robots has been replaced with a bigger fear: himself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'll be honest, the rogue gallery of invincible cyborgs is my least favorite part of the show, and I'm glad mecha-Hitler Cyril did not turn out to be one. Cyborg Archer would be a step in the wrong direction.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

tarlibone posted:

Well, actually, technically, he's a macaw, which is actually a type of parrot. So, he's... technically a parrot, actually, but I mean technically he's—

SHUT UP BIRD

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What was the phrase Pam yelled when Mallory asked Archer what he was wearing? I’m having trouble remembering if it’s an earlier season callback or a Frisky Dingo callback.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Master coconut. Yeah from Frisky Dingo "Master Cylinder!"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'll be honest, the rogue gallery of invincible cyborgs is my least favorite part of the show, and I'm glad mecha-Hitler Cyril did not turn out to be one. Cyborg Archer would be a step in the wrong direction.

Same. Invincible Barry being a recurring thing almost killed my interest in the show.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'll be honest, the rogue gallery of invincible cyborgs is my least favorite part of the show, and I'm glad mecha-Hitler Cyril did not turn out to be one.

They call it the widowmaker for a reason!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If we wanted to go that route it'd be much funnier for Archer to end up with a pacemaker or some other implant that makes him enough of a "cyborg" to set off his neurosis without giving him anything combat wise in return.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

nashona posted:

Nazi punks gently caress off!

Love that parrot.

That was my favorite part

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't know, given his agency's budget, I'm not sure he'd get top-tier cyborg equipment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Moose-Alini posted:

Master coconut. Yeah from Frisky Dingo "Master Cylinder!"

You celebrate it!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mokinokaro posted:

If we wanted to go that route it'd be much funnier for Archer to end up with a pacemaker or some other implant that makes him enough of a "cyborg" to set off his neurosis without giving him anything combat wise in return.

Yes, this would be great.

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't know, given his agency's budget, I'm not sure he'd get top-tier cyborg equipment.

This could also be fantastic, he's not actually much stronger or faster and he has an arm cannon that shoots tennis balls.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Wow.

I was wondering if they'd flash forward for the next season, seeing as how setting it in the past again might get old. Looks like I was right, although having Mallory be a conscious ball of computer energy was something I didn't see coming. And I noticed that the word "Seamus" popped up on the screen; perhaps a call back to last season. In any event, I'm glad they decided to go in that direction.

And it was nice to see a band of native cannibals who understand the concept of the call back. Especially when they're hilarious racist pranksters.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I was hoping maybe he'd wake up after that death sequence.

Sooooo Archer: Aliens?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Small White Dragon posted:

Sooooo Archer: Aliens?

I'd watch it :shrug:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Who's saying this is still part of the coma dream? That could well be the real wake-up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

And I noticed that the word "Seamus" popped up on the screen; perhaps a call back to last season.

Last season? I thought it was a reference to the wee baby Seamus from season two.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If it’s set in the future, it could feature the wee baby Seamus and Abbiejean as adults.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Was this the season finale already? Holy poo poo. After all my bitching I was actually starting to enjoy the last couple episodes, the setting and the crew finally grew on me a bit.

Now we're off to a new setting and crew. :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If it’s set in the future, it could feature the wee baby Seamus and Abbiejean as adults.

Yeeesss make Archer and Cyril have to deal with each other because their children are married, this is what I want

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Who's saying this is still part of the coma dream? That could well be the real wake-up.

I'm guessing that's going to be a primary running joke of the season.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Last season? I thought it was a reference to the wee baby Seamus from season two.

poo poo, I forgot about that. I was thinking about the nickname given to private detectives.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
so hype for alien archer

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
AVclub interview with Adam Reed confirms it's still a coma dream, we're going to be seeing archers 70s inspired 'idea' of the future, not the real future.

Also:

quote:

AVC: Is this the last we’ve seen of Crackers? Krieger’s name is on one of the cryo pods in the final scene.

AR: He could always just be a giant robotic parrot in the future. A space parrot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I really, really hope they do this for a few more short seasons and then Archer just dies in the coma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really enjoyed this season. It's an adventure framework that isn't used very much, and I really loved how accurate the equipment looked. Also Yes, the nazis were all loving tweeking on coke/meth tablets at the start of the war.

I am also happy to see others were into thiccccc swole Pam too. Not to mention glad to see others are tired of cyborg barry constantly showing up and being the antaognist. I was glad that the Barry stand in was killed in the episode he was introduced. Again, more lovely historical accuracy as the Republican Airforce had lovely Russian biplanes while the Condor Legion had shiny Me109s.

Funny thing is when I realized this was the finale if they were going to do another coma dream season, I'd want to see a real sci-fi setting. Though I was expecting more of a Star Trek thing that Alien. Archer as a Captain Kirk that thinks he's a Captain Picard, First officer Pam, Chief Medical Officer Kriger and so on.