Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

business hammocks posted:

It’s silly to feel guilty about what entertains you, but it’s hard to disagree with his diagnosis. “Knowing” cynicism and a refusal of a better world betray an impoverished politics and a naive capitulation to the world as it is. It all sounds like a teenager’s idea of what harsh truth is, because so many Americans have the depth of thought of a teenager.

what sucks is if he were not a weird humorless prude, id probably like him, he has genuinely left leaning politcs(though he borders on tankie a bunch sometimes) he makes a couple thousand from patreon and i have no idea why when there a tons of better critics out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/GarlicCorgi/status/1002238458893623297

Josh's take here is extra dumb when you remember that quote most associated with Falllout is the line, "War Never Changes."

The 2nd most associated quote is, of course "[O] HATE NEWSPAPERS"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 10, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wasn't there a mobile Fallout game that was kind of like what he's describing?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

thats probaly bad to somehow. the dude got into a fight with other feminsts critics when tracer was shown to be a lesbian because dudes might find that attractive. this dude has some hang ups.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

The seems like a few steps next to "Call of Duty and Doom are causing mass shootings"

His arguments always boil down to saying that it is an impoverished and impotent culture that can only imagine political change through cathartic acts of personal violence, and that in fact meaningful political change is often incompatible with violence. It’s hard to disagree with that, just as it’s hard to disagree with the claim that a nurturing and mutually supportive culture would be stronger and better than the geohell we have built for ourselves.

I agree that it is tiring and unhelpful to greet every movie or video game with that diagnosis, though. Also good politics rarely make for good art, outside of maybe documentaries.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005535390365712384
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005583250721402880
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005511156847370240
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005925675121958912

Eeeeeeeeeh.

I don't think video game industry you envision is ever going to be what you want man, barring a total and final collapse of capitalism creating a new paradigm in how we create and sell media.

counterpoint: punching nazis is good, therefore violence is good

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think you're referring to Fallout Shelter, but I think it still got scrutinized, since you get attacked by raiders or something.

EDIT: It was from Anita, not Josh:

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/616413441033568256

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 10, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jonny Mac is the ultra-rare, almost never seen in the wild Pacifist Tankie, and he should be nurtured and kept in a terrarium to monitor his growth

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no its tragic and problematic and bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

Jonny Mac is the ultra-rare, almost never seen in the wild Pacifist Tankie, and he should be nurtured and kept in a terrarium to monitor his growth

dudes almost 40. i am pretty sure he won't grow anymore unless his brain breaks even more and he comes back to jesus and or finds salafism.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's almost like it reflects society back at itself rather than creates society from whole cloth.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes. It did have combat in it though, but poetically enough the reason I stopped playing was every time they updated they increased the amount of combat you had to deal with to the point where every two minutes Deathclaws would invade your base and force you to spam health packs on your max-stat-max-level guys because you weren't allowed to out-level any enemies.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

much like trump. there is a tweet for everything.

Mac reminds me of this dude. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-radical-plan-to-eliminate-earths-predatory-species-1613342963

A person with decent intentions but way to far up their own rear end and kinda of a prick.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005535390365712384

post like this is why i think he is a lovely critic and rear end in a top hat.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 10, 2018

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alaois posted:

This is actually the ultimate solution to avoiding violent conflict.

Encase everyone and everything within their own capsule-shields that are impossible to get in as well as get out of.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

much like trump. there is a tweet for everything.

Mac reminds me of this dude. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-radical-plan-to-eliminate-earths-predatory-species-1613342963

How can this guy get so far along this train of thought without realizing that the best solution is the immediate extinction of the human race?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Never have I seen a wronger take in my life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

How can this guy get so far along this train of thought without realizing that the best solution is the immediate extinction of the human race?

because he is some utopian type who thinks if we just twist nature and language enough we will live in magic utopia. the only stuff he likes is stephen universe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHiwtz2tCEfS17N9A-WoSSw

he has made like 4 or more videos about it. basicaly he believes everything that isnt that is toxic masculinity.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 11, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The guy is just someone who doesn't understand the art he's throwing his hot takes at.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Never have I seen a wronger take in my life.

yeah. i think in real life violence is tragic, sad and bad. but gently caress nazis, their speech is violence so gently caress em.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

excited to read more about the guy who says companies should do things but won't

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he's not wrong that the fact that almost every video game is based around violence with very rare exception is a little troubling and a general tone of "WE MADE TEN WAYS TO RIP A GUY'S FACE OFF AND FEED IT TO HIS MOM" that a lot of devs adapt should be questioned. The problem is he kinda does nothing with that point other than say 'this is bad'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

he's not wrong that the fact that almost every video game is based around violence with very rare exception is a little troubling and a general tone of "WE MADE TEN WAYS TO RIP A GUY'S FACE OFF AND FEED IT TO HIS MOM" that a lot of devs adapt should be questioned. The problem is he kinda does nothing with that point other than say 'this is bad'.

yeah, its not a bad point. but he either dances away from his point, or he gets mad and goes full moral suasion about it(its bad and your bad to like it) if he approached and critiqued it smartly like say lindsey ellis or hbomber, id agree or at least hear him out. i mean i like games that are just dialogue driven or other non-violent means too.

i mean gently caress, he has said on twitter that he doesnt have a life outside of this poo poo. he just lives alone working on his videos and bitching on twitter and playing morality police.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 11, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean gently caress, he has said on twitter that he doesnt have a life outside of this poo poo. he just lives alone working on his videos and bitching on twitter and playing morality police.

lmao that's amazing, imagine living the kind of life, alienating every single other human being around you and forcing you into this corner

a giant 40 year long self-own

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

lmao that's amazing, imagine living the kind of life, alienating every single other human being around you and forcing you into this kind of corner

its sad and facinating. like look at earlier in this thread where there at lindsey ellis wedding and they were all having fun and lives outside.

meanwhile.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005058135185215494

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1002446372497289216

he just does this poo poo. forever. also L3 was loving terrible. so of course he liked her.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because he is some utopian type who thinks if we just twist nature and language enough we will live in magic utopia. the only stuff he likes is stephen universe.

The irony of McIntosh hating games like Doom, but being a fan of Steven Universe is that I've heard stories about how vitriolic the SU fanbase gets, while the Doom community seems mostly laidback.

Like I'm not saying that Steven Universe is bad (I haven't watched it), or that you should just like Doom, but it's just weird to me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its sad and facinating. like look at earlier in this thread where there at lindsey ellis wedding and they were all having fun and lives outside.

meanwhile.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005058135185215494

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1002446372497289216

he just does this poo poo. forever.

he reminds me of a guy i knew who was just the worlds biggest sourpuss about absolutely everything, and when he was called on it he said he doesn't view himself as negative, just "in a dialectical relationship with the world"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

The irony of McIntosh hating games like Doom, but being a fan of Steven Universe is that I've heard stories about how vitriolic the SU fanbase gets, while the Doom community seems mostly laidback.

Like I'm not saying that Steven Universe is bad (I haven't watched it), or that you should just like Doom, but I think about that sometimes, and it's weird.

i have seen bits and pieces. its not my thing. not bad, just not me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

he reminds me of a guy i knew who was just the worlds biggest sourpuss about absolutely everything, and when he was called on it he said he doesn't view himself as negative, just "in a dialectical relationship with the world"

yeah. he is the extreme version of someone who "interrogate things they watch/play/read/consume" and "critical of things you love. because if you go to far down that whole. you end up like him. everything eventually becomes problematic and bad. everything in moderation including moderation. like you have to be critical of art/stuff but there are healthy limits. for example. toxic masculinty is real and bad thing, but this dude thinks everything that isnt full blown weeping at the drop of hat or new scalamander is toxic. he has ranted at length about how captain america is toxic masuculinty as well pretty much every other fictional character. basicaly if you not a fat mineral hybrid or a introverted magical herper. your toxic.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 11, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a good of time as any to link MrBTongue's video on cyberpunk. An oldie but goodie

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's a good of time as any to link MrBTongue's video on cyberpunk. An oldie but goodie

nice. apparently Mike Pondsmith is involved with 2077 so thats awsome.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

If my memory is right, this was beautiful because the top response was just a picture of the army and the Little Rock Nine.

He seems to get very tunnel-visioned on surface level stuff. Mad Max had violence, therefore it's masculine and bad. This video game is bleak, so it's cynical and bad. If nothing else he's really attached to the rosy view of non-violent that you get from biopics.

it also seems like there's a tricky part that ignoring violence as an option sometimes creates a weird setting. I like what Renknowned Explorers Society did for their speech as combat options, but something like that only works in a non-realistic setting.

And to nerd out about Steven Universe...I get why he would like it, it's basically doing exactly what he's preaching. Our heroes are fighting the good fight, trying to make friends and save their enemies and are all about love and peace...but the show's kind of big on showing how that works out.

Most of the resistance is dead, there's a whole episode about an old member of the group begging them to start using lethal weapons or else they're just going to lose, and the Earth is super hosed up from the war. Plus they're only alive because the villains basically stopped caring about conquering Earth for various reasons. It's a recurring conflict in the show that staying good is coming at a high price.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHiwtz2tCEfS17N9A-WoSSw

he has made like 4 or more videos about it. basicaly he believes everything that isnt that is toxic masculinity.

I mean the philosopher who wants to end all suffering on Earth. Not that killing all predatory species isn’t monstrous, but humans are the most predatory and destroy tons of species merely as a byproduct of merely existing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I mean the philosopher who wants to end all suffering on Earth. Not that killing all predatory species isn’t monstrous, but humans are the most predatory and destroy tons of species merely as a byproduct of merely existing.

suffering is part of life. i mean sure we should try to midicate it the best we can, but with out some suffering, we wouldnt grow. plus animals(outside the intelligent ones(us. apes, dolphins) and hyenas) don't intentionally try to make things suffer. i mean i used to feel bad for feeding my frogs crickets. but crickets are basically mindless and just poo poo and eat and breed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If my memory is right, this was beautiful because the top response was just a picture of the army and the Little Rock Nine.

He seems to get very tunnel-visioned on surface level stuff. Mad Max had violence, therefore it's masculine and bad. This video game is bleak, so it's cynical and bad. If nothing else he's really attached to the rosy view of non-violent that you get from biopics.

it also seems like there's a tricky part that ignoring violence as an option sometimes creates a weird setting. I like what Renknowned Explorers Society did for their speech as combat options, but something like that only works in a non-realistic setting.

And to nerd out about Steven Universe...I get why he would like it, it's basically doing exactly what he's preaching. Our heroes are fighting the good fight, trying to make friends and save their enemies and are all about love and peace...but the show's kind of big on showing how that works out.

Most of the resistance is dead, there's a whole episode about an old member of the group begging them to start using lethal weapons or else they're just going to lose, and the Earth is super hosed up from the war. Plus they're only alive because the villains basically stopped caring about conquering Earth for various reasons. It's a recurring conflict in the show that staying good is coming at a high price.

whats funny is the new wolfenstein games are pretty optomistic. a bunch of diffrent and divirse people coming together to save themselves and others from the nazis. BJ is interesting and developed character but he doesnt see that.

he just sees this.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/552299841356058625?lang=en

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Suffering is part of life but I'd argue that games like that Sea of Solitude (I think?) game EA showed yesterday do a much better job of exploring suffering than any "YOU WILL BLEED WITH HONOR AS YOU DECAPITATE A BAD GUY WITH A CHAINSAW THAT ALSO SHOOTS FIRE".

The fact that Macintosh actively ignores games like SoS (see what they did there, aaaaah indie games) just to say E3 is basically a blood orgy just make him dumber, though.

Like, yea, the Detroit demo last year with people hooting and hollering "KILL KILL KILL" should be a loving indictment of the pop culture as a whole, but his pretending that there ISN'T a very real group of devs and players who actively want to do their own thing away from that doesn't help.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Suffering is part of life but I'd argue that games like that Sea of Solitude (I think?) game EA showed yesterday do a much better job of exploring suffering than any "YOU WILL BLEED WITH HONOR AS YOU DECAPITATE A BAD GUY WITH A CHAINSAW THAT ALSO SHOOTS FIRE".

The fact that Macintosh actively ignores games like SoS (see what they did there, aaaaah indie games) just to say E3 is basically a blood orgy just make him dumber, though.

Like, yea, the Detroit demo last year with people hooting and hollering "KILL KILL KILL" should be a loving indictment of the pop culture as a whole, but his pretending that there ISN'T a very real group of devs and players who actively want to do their own thing away from that doesn't help.

once and while he does. but not often. and i just meant suffering to the carnivore utopia thing not in popular culture.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also to get real navel gaze bullshit hours, his acting like games are unique in this and this isn't a natural product of the dominant culture that simultaneously exists as a violent imperial state and is so well insulated from the actual ACT of this violent imperialism is real dumb too. Like, we see violence as a novelty because we simultaneously (for the most part) protected from it while being told the violence we do to others is ACTUALLY very heroic and noble and look at these cool jets bombing this city (don't worry about who's in it they were bad it's fine). That's a universal thing that happens in tons of cultures through history as they find themselves in similar spots. Games didn't invent it, they're just the most high tech version we've had and thus the most easy to immerse yourself in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

once and while he does. but not often. and i just meant suffering to the carnivore utopia thing not in popular culture.

oh, then yea, agreedo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

also to get real navel gaze bullshit hours, his acting like games are unique in this and this isn't a natural product of the dominant culture that simultaneously exists as a violent imperial state and is so well insulated from the actual ACT of this violent imperialism is real dumb too. Like, we see violence as a novelty because we simultaneously (for the most part) protected from it while being told the violence we do to others is ACTUALLY very heroic and noble and look at these cool jets bombing this city (don't worry about who's in it they were bad it's fine). That's a universal thing that happens in tons of cultures through history as they find themselves in similar spots. Games didn't invent it, they're just the most high tech version we've had and thus the most easy to immerse yourself in.

pretty much. i mean in rome they had dudes beating the poo poo out of each other(sometimes to the death) in gladiator rings and they were viewed as celebrities.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1005956188901597184

when this is your entire life. also why respond and poke the chud nest. he is never funny or clever.

sexpig by night posted:

oh, then yea, agreedo

yeah. i wouldnt uses that idea for media stuff, though i think its a reflection of out violent nature. that doesnt mean its inevitble or anything. its just violence is part of out nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There's probably also something to be said about games and movies being limited by being a visual medium. There's a book I've been meaning to read where the central conflict is two cultures trying to understand one another, and apparently the climax is them finally having a conversation.

That's cool, but it really wouldn't work well in big-budget film or in a non-indie game. Explosions and guns are visually thrilling, easy to understand and pretty universal, so they're going to be a big part of big budget games and movies for a while.