Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have some movies in my iTunes account that got there through Movies Anywhere. But I only have access to them in HD. How do I buy some of these movies properly so I can have them in 4K HDR in my iTunes account?

I already tried unlinking my Movies Anywhere account but the movies are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is it possible to delete or hide a purchased movie from the iTunes Store?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Is it possible to delete or hide a purchased movie from the iTunes Store?

It really depends on what movie it is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It really depends on what movie it is.

Thanks for this incredibly helpful response, it has solved all of my my problems and even brought me to orgasm.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Thanks for this incredibly helpful response, it has solved all of my my problems and even brought me to orgasm.

Only Apple can delete movies from the iTunes Store.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is what I'm doing rn

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This is what I'm doing rn

Cool. Non-funny-reply: I have some movies that I got from digital copies in 2010 or so that showed up twice. You'll need to go to your account and look for your purchased movies to hide purchases. Did Google give you no results for this?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

screamin and creamin posted:

Cool. Non-funny-reply: I have some movies that I got from digital copies in 2010 or so that showed up twice. You'll need to go to your account and look for your purchased movies to hide purchases. Did Google give you no results for this?

Nope. I think it's something I got for free forever ago, and I never really bought movies from iTunes before so I didn't care, but now it just low key annoys me that it's in my library. I'll check that out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Nope. I think it's something I got for free forever ago, and I never really bought movies from iTunes before so I didn't care, but now it just low key annoys me that it's in my library. I'll check that out.

Ok ok actual unfunny reply if you have iTunes you can do it pretty easy.

Just pick delete from library. You can go back into your account and unhide it at anytime.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have some movies in my iTunes account that got there through Movies Anywhere. But I only have access to them in HD. How do I buy some of these movies properly so I can have them in 4K HDR in my iTunes account?

I already tried unlinking my Movies Anywhere account but the movies are still there.

Gift them to yourself

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now I’ve got my Apple TV 4K, I can definitely see why Apple kept it in HDR by default originally. HDR switching is incredibly annoying, far worse than any frame rate sync I’ve ever seen. Seamlessness in apps is awful, and at one point it got stuck in an SDR/HDR loop until I crashed out the app.

If there was an option to run the UI in SDR and only switch to HDR when the video content contains that flag, it’d be far more tolerable. I really don’t need my menus in HDR.

Pleasantly surprised with Plex’s handling of my 4K files tho. Audio transcoding only, if they can finally work out how to implement PGS subtitles into their platform I’ll be very happy. Don’t think I need to bother with Infuse at the moment, if it had TrueHD etc pass through then I probably would, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

If there was an option to run the UI in SDR and only switch to HDR when the video content contains that flag, it’d be far more tolerable. I really don’t need my menus in HDR.

There is, but I don't remember the specific setting.....someone in this thread told me what to do. It made my life a million times easier once I switched it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, I’ll trawl the menus some more. That’s good to know because when I’m not using 4K/HDR/x265 footage at the moment it feels like I’ve downgraded!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think you have to set the default display to SDR and then have it set to match content.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ahh interesting! That’s a smart way of doing it. I’ll set a reminder as I’m not home for a few days but that sounds perfect, but not something I probably would’ve guessed by myself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And yep, that seems to have worked perfectly. I'm sure my TV isn't the only one with slow SDR/HDR switching so I'll definitely be passed that advice on. Thanks!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I recently got the 4K through a DirectTV NOW subscription deal and I found that after a recent update, the shows I was interested in watching no longer appear on the "Watch Now" screen. That is, new series that I watch the latest episode of, older series I'm binging through on HBO GO, etc.

Any way to fix this? Are there some apps that Apple TV no longer play nice with?

Thanks in advance.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Check settings - apps - TV and see if “up next” is off?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Check settings - apps - TV and see if “up next” is off?

Ok, thanks!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My apologies if this has already been covered, but is there a way to temporarily change your iTunes account to purchase content in other countries? Here's my exact situation: I live in the US and the movie Hard Boiled isn't available here, but it available in Canada. Do I have any options for buying this on my current account? I've seen some guides for switching iTunes region, but most of them also involve creating dummy accounts, and I really want this in my main library. Any options?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

My apologies if this has already been covered, but is there a way to temporarily change your iTunes account to purchase content in other countries? Here's my exact situation: I live in the US and the movie Hard Boiled isn't available here, but it available in Canada. Do I have any options for buying this on my current account? I've seen some guides for switching iTunes region, but most of them also involve creating dummy accounts, and I really want this in my main library. Any options?

You could! Do this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht202915

Buy it on a service that puts into your movies anywhere account and then it should show up in your iTunes account.

https://uvspider.com/#!/search//iTunes///11

You can buy a code from a site like this.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MarcusSA posted:

You could! Do this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht202915

Buy it on a service that puts into your movies anywhere account and then it should show up in your iTunes account.

https://uvspider.com/#!/search//iTunes///11

You can buy a code from a site like this.

oh, man, I'm all about UV codes, but the problem is that I don't *think* that Hard Boiled ever had a UV code, or one for any online service.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

oh, man, I'm all about UV codes, but the problem is that I don't *think* that Hard Boiled ever had a UV code, or one for any online service.

Do you own the actual hard copy? I think you can do it that way too. That’s how it’s supposed to work

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MarcusSA posted:

Do you own the actual hard copy? I think you can do it that way too. That’s how it’s supposed to work

I do own a hard copy, but it's not even on Movies Anywhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Out of curiosity, how many people with a 4K on 11.4 have the ‘Check Cable’ option in Audio/Video under settings? I’m sure I used to have it, then it disappeared, then I got it back when I put the tvOS beta on.

And I’m thinking maybe tolerance for cables has changed, as if I have the secondary HDMI output hooked up on my receiver, it says it can’t get a stable signal and refuses to let me run in 4K/444 now until I pull it. Sigh. Always something.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I have it. Never saw it vanish. HDMI cables shouldn't make a difference as long as they are the latest standard. My issue is that my TV supports HDR but not 444 just 422. My cables and receiver could go higher if I had a newer TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s possibly not the cable but a splitter I’m relying on temporarily to give it some extra length until I get a female/male extension (despite it having UHD 4K blah blah stamped), but if it is the long cable that’s threaded through the house then I’m screwed anyway as that’s not an easy replacement. Either way it’s a pain as it’s connected to the Secondary port and I don’t give a poo poo if it doesn’t always produce a signal out there. I can adjust the AV setting by hand when I want to feed it, but I can’t override what the system thinks I can and can’t support without pulling it.

The disappearing option is a real thing though, as I found a thread on Apples forum where someone has the option on one box but not the other. No follow ups but a few people tagged it as having the problem too. It’s probably a bug that’s hopefully fixed now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Its the splitter.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I checked yesterday and have it. I have my Apple TV connected to a receiver and that connected to TV as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MarcusSA posted:

Its the splitter.

The easiest thing to take out the chain at least, only one side is being used as it’s essentially a female<>female joiner in my config, but it needs power or it doesn’t pass a signal and that could be where the issue lies.

Weird how everything ran fine until one day it decided that it couldn’t, and a shame the receiver even passes on information to the device that the 2nd hdmi port even exists.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Check your Software Update, iOS 11.4.1 just dropped, tvOS 11.4.1 also has, according to AppleInsider.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 10, 2018

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Zero One posted:

I have it. Never saw it vanish. HDMI cables shouldn't make a difference as long as they are the latest standard. My issue is that my TV supports HDR but not 444 just 422. My cables and receiver could go higher if I had a newer TV.

I did have a cable issue when I first got my 4k. Cable worked fine with 4th gen but when I upgraded it would lose video for ~20 seconds every 15 minutes or so as it did some kind of handshake dance. Went to Monoprice and for like 4 buxs each got... Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps and never saw it drop video again. I just threw the other cable away since for $4 why not?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hughlander posted:

I did have a cable issue when I first got my 4k. Cable worked fine with 4th gen but when I upgraded it would lose video for ~20 seconds every 15 minutes or so as it did some kind of handshake dance. Went to Monoprice and for like 4 buxs each got... Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps and never saw it drop video again. I just threw the other cable away since for $4 why not?

The one caveat with these cables is they aren't very flexible, to the point that I had to weigh down the back of my blu ray player when I first hooked it up. The Apple TV was dense enough to stay planted though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting my question from the Plex thread:

Anyone give the new Plex DVR/Grid a whirl on the AppleTV? How's the performance?

And did Plex ever get around to adding stuff like viewing a recording in progress or doing any additional optimizing for recording playback?

I found the first thing to be a deal breaker for my wife and the second thing to be a big hindrance on the AppleTV (slow ff/rw performance, needing to optimize all recordings to enable smoother playback). It's really why we've stayed with Channels for our live tv/dvr solution.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Cross posting my question from the Plex thread:

Anyone give the new Plex DVR/Grid a whirl on the AppleTV? How's the performance?

And did Plex ever get around to adding stuff like viewing a recording in progress or doing any additional optimizing for recording playback?

I found the first thing to be a deal breaker for my wife and the second thing to be a big hindrance on the AppleTV (slow ff/rw performance, needing to optimize all recordings to enable smoother playback). It's really why we've stayed with Channels for our live tv/dvr solution.

I've been using the DVR on Plex for over a year and don't really have any complaints. I haven't tried (or even know if there's any) optimization settings since I have a little over 9TB NAS to put my recordings on. It ffwds in 10 sec increments like most other aTV video playback and I haven't noticed any hitches, but that may be down to how beefy your PLEX server is. Mine is running off of a Synology DS-916+ and playback and recording barely bumps the processor over 20% or so (and that's with hourly
incrementals from my rMBP).

I haven't used Channels DVR, since I'm not a huge fan of paying in perpetuity when I was able to just purchase a lifetime PLEX Pass.

As far as Live TV, it's... OK? I don't really use it since Channels is so much better.

EDIT: OK. didn't realize they put out a new client with channel list view.

* It doesn't tune near as fast as Channels, but that my be because Plex goes client>server>HDHR and Channels is client>HDHR.
* Once the channel is loaded it looks good.
* It's got the "show what's on other channels" drop down like Channels does, but again super slow
* No last channel fast switching like in Channels
* Disregards the ignored channels I had set with HDHR utility. (hmm, looks I have to log on to the server interface to set that?)
* Also, just now as I was testing it watching Wimbledon, I had a couple very brief (sub sec) hitches in playback.

My verdict: If you have PLEX Pass use it for the DVR and other media playback (I have rips of all my BluRays on my NAS now). Use Channels for Live TV.

EDIT 2: Channels is *so* much faster than PLEX for live TV it's not even funny

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 13, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does channels have an internal mpeg2 decoder then? The slowdown on Plex is because the server has to transcode the transport stream to something it can output, which takes a few seconds to spin up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does channels have an internal mpeg2 decoder then? The slowdown on Plex is because the server has to transcode the transport stream to something it can output, which takes a few seconds to spin up.

It probably uses the HW decoder built in to the Apple TV.

I've never had any problems with playback, since I have processing power to spare on the Plex server, so watching pre-recorded media works fine. Even live TV is mostly fine (I think the blip I had during my brief 10 minute test was an anomaly). It's the god-awful time it takes tune a channel in Plex that I can't stand.

EDIT: Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah, Plex decoding in SW vs Channels using the HW decoder is probably the big factor.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 13, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Proteus Jones posted:

It probably uses the HW decoder built in to the Apple TV.

The Apple TV doesn’t have hw decoding for mpeg 2, mainly as iTMS never used it so they have no interest in paying the license. So I’m guessing channels has a sw decoder that’s fast enough that it handily beats Plex doing it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Apple TV doesn’t have hw decoding for mpeg 2, mainly as iTMS never used it so they have no interest in paying the license. So I’m guessing channels has a sw decoder that’s fast enough that it handily beats Plex doing it.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Yeah, that's weird then. I wonder if the overhead of the server grabbing the stream, decoding, and then sending it on to the client is having an impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is anyone unable to login to the iTunes Store? Like I can log in fine from Settings, but the app just sits and loads indefinitely after I enter my password. If I enter the wrong password it fails immediately.