Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stringent posted:

repost from YOSPOS because i thought it was hilarious

"unimaginable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

repost from YOSPOS because i thought it was hilarious

nbsd said something unintentionally funny? Now I've seen everything...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I inherited a KitchenAid K45SS from my late grandma in 2011. I think it’s l old but haven’t really checked.

However, I think I’m starting to outgrow it. I’m wanting to do double batches of lots of my cookies and it’s just not a big enough bowl, which makes me wonder if it has enough juice.

What should I be looking at? A larger mixing bowl? A more powerful stand mixer?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Boywhiz88 posted:

So I inherited a KitchenAid K45SS from my late grandma in 2011. I think it’s l old but haven’t really checked.

However, I think I’m starting to outgrow it. I’m wanting to do double batches of lots of my cookies and it’s just not a big enough bowl, which makes me wonder if it has enough juice.

What should I be looking at? A larger mixing bowl? A more powerful stand mixer?

Ankarsrum! It's a lot of money, but it's a lifetime investment, and it's both way more powerful and reliable than any KA (or any other non commercial brand).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife makes a lot of smoothies and uses her magic bullet to do it. It does an ok job, but I’ve been looking for something better. Plus it sucks if you put kale in it-it just won’t process it enough.

I had a Ninja blender, but the drat top was so impossible to remove from the blender that I ended up breaking it, so I’m not really interested in those at this time.

I bought a Vitamix 6300, but the second we turned it on to clean it (starting at 1 and going up to high), we both couldn’t believe how much noise it made, so that got returned. She makes the smoothies at 6 in the morning and I think that would wake the neighborhood up, if not just our next door neighbors.

Any other options? I don’t do a whole lot of soups or anything, but I guess it would be nice to have a full functional blender if possible.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
yr standards might be a touch high if you returned a vitamix after one use due to the noise level tbh

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Oh you're looking for the bled tec model with acoustic dampening

or this https://www.whisperblend.com

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
do you live in a monastery

i feel like yr leaving out details here

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
My kids' (6 & 2 y/o) bedroom door faces the kitchen, we make smoothies every day on a blendtec, it only sometimes wake them up. You must have very very sensitive neighbors.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I don’t think I’m leaving much out, but here’s everything: she normally uses a magic bullet, we bought the Vitamix and I cleaned it with the water/soap and turned it on setting 1, which was fine, but then as it got to higher speeds we both noted how loud it was. We tried the smoothie setting and it was also much louder than the magic bullet she had, so we decided to return it since she didn’t want to make noise with it to make the smoothie, and then have it just as loud a few minutes later when she goes to clean it out.

I know the Vitamix has a larger motor, which is much better and contributes to the noise, but it was just too loud. I guess there isn’t anything we can do about that unless we sacrifice some power and quality for noise.

Wire cutter recommends a Breville boss to go unit, so maybe we’ll try that out.

I live in a split family, so I’m talking about those neighbors since the main wall that splits the house into two seems to have no insulation and we can hear when they are going up/down stairs, etc.

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 10, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

yr standards might be a touch high if you returned a vitamix after one use due to the noise level tbh

Motherfucking this.

drat!

I mean, not to be a dick, it’s just like... you want a good powered cutter, but not the noise that good powered cutting makes. You’re usually going to have to sacrifice something. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 10, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it's stories like these that make people dread marriage

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rgocs posted:

My kids' (6 & 2 y/o) bedroom door faces the kitchen, we make smoothies every day on a blendtec, it only sometimes wake them up. You must have very very sensitive neighbors.

My Blendtec is so loud that I can't use it in my wood frame apartment in the mornings before work (around 5:45AM) because I'm pretty sure it'd wake up the neighbors. I don't really mind because I've accepted that as a tradeoff for a great blender but I'd love for it to be quieter.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Try making a little foam cube to surround it and muffle the noise? Even the food service blenders that are $$$$ aren't that quiet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Try making a little foam cube to surround it and muffle the noise? Even the food service blenders that are $$$$ aren't that quiet.

I've thought about making something but honestly it doesn't bother me that much. Nothing I could make would dampen the sound enough for me to be able to use it so early in the morning.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

My Blendtec is so loud that I can't use it in my wood frame apartment in the mornings before work (around 5:45AM) because I'm pretty sure it'd wake up the neighbors. I don't really mind because I've accepted that as a tradeoff for a great blender but I'd love for it to be quieter.

gently caress the neighbors, smoothie time yo. They probably have a dog that barks or flush their toilet too many times so you are just getting even.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Feenix posted:

Motherfucking this.

drat!

I mean, not to be a dick, it’s just like... you want a good powered cutter, but not the noise that good powered cutting makes. You’re usually going to have to sacrifice something. :)

That’s a valid point. I see the sound dampening ones that slack lagoon mentioned, but after spending all day reading reviews, I think all we really need is a personal blender with some more power to it than her standard magic bullet.

I never make soups, I have no desire to make almond butter, and for the few things I would use a blender for, I have an immersion blender that’s worked perfectly so far. We have a baby on the way, so maybe making baby food could come into play-but I think we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B075CWJ3T8

8qt Instant Pot on sale for 100 dollars, down from 160, until midnight PST today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just bought my dad a Thermopop for Father’s Day. Now I’m trying to think of a good second gift in the $70 range, and I can use some help from this thread. My dad isn’t an easy guy to buy for, but I know he likes to cook and he likes to bake, so those might be good places to start.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Get him a big green egg smoker

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just bought my dad a Thermopop for Father’s Day. Now I’m trying to think of a good second gift in the $70 range, and I can use some help from this thread. My dad isn’t an easy guy to buy for, but I know he likes to cook and he likes to bake, so those might be good places to start.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Lodge combo cooker, sourdough starter, bannetons, bench scraper, scale and flour to make this https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Lawnie posted:

And a MacBook Pro for datalogging.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ideas? Thoughts?

I got my hard-to-buy-for father a subscription to Naturebox which is a monthly random snack delivery thing. They're mostly pretty healthy snacks and generally really good. I got him the subscription for a year but you could do however many months you want. I'm unaffiliated with them. They have a website you can look at for pricing and more info.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ideas? Thoughts?

If he doesn't have any Silpat baking sheets, he will LOVE them. They're the perfect gift because they are awesome, but you feel silly spending that much on something so simple for yourself. I spent years wanting them but going "Pfffft! It's silly to spend $15 each, when I can just use $0.08 worth of parchment paper to accomplish the same thing." Get him 2 or more, just make sure you get the right size for his baking sheets.

Now, no more annoying paper curling, no replacing/washing between batches of cookies, dishwasher safe, etc... I cannot speak highly enough of them for people who like to bake.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Lawnie posted:

I see what you did there.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ideas? Thoughts?

Be a better child to your father and use that $70 to get him a Thermapen, even if it's "only" the classic model.

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe
Hi all! I’m considering getting a stand-alone induction cooktop, and the Duxtop 9600LS seems to have great reviews, both from users and from what looks like reputable websites. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MrYenko posted:

It's marble instead of granite, but Ikea makes the Ädelsten, which can be flipped over for a shallower molcajete-type tool.

It's not as good as the real version of either, but its pretty good, and CHEAP.

Pages and months back, but this has been my mortar of choice for years and I never knew this.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone have any knowledge of/experience with a vacuum sealer wider than the 8" (or is it 10"?) FoodSaver? I'm making wheels of cheese that I want to vacuum pack, but they don't fit into the FS bags. I was hoping that there was something bigger than FoodSaver that still works the same way, instead of having to spend $600+ for a chamber sealer, but am not finding much.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Speaking of vacuum sealers, is the FS5480 Costco sells good? It is more than I'd like, so I was thinking of maybe doing a FS2100 instead. Costco had the 5480 for $150, sometimes $100

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Speaking of vacuum sealers, is the FS5480 Costco sells good? It is more than I'd like, so I was thinking of maybe doing a FS2100 instead. Costco had the 5480 for $150, sometimes $100

I got it about 3 weeks ago. I’m no pro but I love it. 99 at Costco.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

nwin posted:

That’s a valid point. I see the sound dampening ones that slack lagoon mentioned, but after spending all day reading reviews, I think all we really need is a personal blender with some more power to it than her standard magic bullet.
you already had one, but returned it. you're not going to get a good blender that's also silent. blenders are just motors inside a flashy housing, they're going to be noisy

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If I want to do instant Pot pulled bbq chicken... do I just want to do thighs or breasts? (or a mix?)

Do I want to do a flavorless cook or an in-sauce cook?

Do I need to add water or broth or is the sauce “liquid” enough?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feenix posted:

If I want to do instant Pot pulled bbq chicken... do I just want to do thighs or breasts? (or a mix?)

Do I want to do a flavorless cook or an in-sauce cook?

Do I need to add water or broth or is the sauce “liquid” enough?

Thighs all the way, they hold up to long cooking times much better than breasts in my experience. As for the sauce, I would thin it out with broth or something and then once it's cooked take the chicken out and reduce the sauce to the proper consistency while you let the chicken cool enough to shred and then recombine the sauce and chicken and serve. This also gives you a chance to skim off the fat from the chicken since there will be a lot of it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Chicken breasts straight from the pot into a stand mixer, shreds itself :black101:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Use thighs. They have a lot of meat, no small bones, very little cartilage, and aren't easy to overcook. Legs will work fine too but there is less meat to other stuff ratio.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any thoughts on thickening my pulled chicken “sauce” that’s in the crockpot? It’s all my bbq sauce plus onions and chicken fat/juices. I’m gonna shred it and it’s probably fine but it’s really watery.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Take the chicken out and shred it and while you're doing that put the sauce in a sauce pot and let it simmer until it looks like you want it to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Human Tornada posted:

Put it in a sauce pot and let it simmer until it looks like you want it to.

I was thinking maybe that, but wanted to get confirmation. Thanks

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Feenix posted:

Any thoughts on thickening my pulled chicken “sauce” that’s in the crockpot? It’s all my bbq sauce plus onions and chicken fat/juices. I’m gonna shred it and it’s probably fine but it’s really watery.

Alternatively you can make a cornstarch slurry with 1 tbsp cornstarch 3 tbsp cold water, mix it up and then add to the liquid and simmer for a few minutes.