Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Oh okay that's different. So it's basically impossible to recruit an alcoholic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Anidav posted:

Oh okay that's different. So it's basically impossible to recruit an alcoholic

that's actually kind of hilarious

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

See in the game. Last I checked a drunk could redirect a conversion but it wouldn't fail because unseen needs to get royal blood somehow lol

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

can we go ahead and kill bminus or are we gonna wait for cpig to show up so we can lay into him

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

GulagDolls posted:

can we go ahead and kill bminus or are we gonna wait for cpig to show up so we can lay into him

I say full steam ahead. Scum don't seem interested in continuing the charade. Anidav can turtle up and just weather the rest of this out.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Hey sorry I had a weird gut feeling about beet so i acted on it, he seemed too much like he had everything figured out and I got paranoid that beet was running the conversation. My original kill order was Hal "go figure".

It's late on a sunday so i will post more tomorrow.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

##vote bminus

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hmmm don't wanna rush.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually yeah, gently caress it.

##vote b-minus

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ok

##vote B-

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
:rip: B-Minus, the Mastermind! (Roleblock immune limited Godfather/Rolecop/Cult Recruiter) was lynched. :rip:

The Blue Dragon (CapitalistPig, Birdstrike, tithin, Retro Futurist, Dick Bastardly, Gulagdolls, Juanito, Moatillata, IcePhoenix and Beetphyxious) and the Alchemist (Anidav) win!

MVP for Blue Dragon: Gulagdolls (seriously, every single action they attempted did or would have had a huge impact)

MVP for Unseen: Capitalistpig

---

I would like to thank everyone for playing. It's the first game I've ever run, and I'm aware I did quite a few things wrong. I hope you all had fun regardless!

Feedback would be much appreciated. Also, I would like to know if you all would be interested in a sequel to this game after I work out the kinks?

Link to moddoc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HulwTU3gQHPaWz1y66579oMk2tE1oultlc1utZgSBNs/edit#gid=0

Link to specdoc: https://discord.gg/GZj62e

Link to scumdoc: https://discord.gg/crWv2J

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:toot:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yay I won

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also I'm glad it didn't come up but Yami your PM to me said I have Royal Blood but the Princess doesn't have Royal Blood listed in the 2P and man would that have been hilarious tomorrow if the game didn't end.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

*spins sword in cloud strife victory post, cutting off own leg* I'm in your mind AA

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Thanks for running the game, Yami. I had a lot of fun (until town started killing my scumbros haha).

I only have two suggestions:

- Scum team should have started with 3 members. In the current setup, the entire team could have been eliminated before d2. Ex: CPig dayvigs Hal d1, and I am killed trying to recruit the same player that MMT targets during n1. Game over for scumteam haha.
- Also, don't restrict scumchat to nights only OR allow the scum some time to share night action results with their teammates. Nightchat only talk may work will for the online game, when nights are only a few minutes long, but IMO unrestricted scumchat is essential.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

b-minus1 posted:

unrestricted scumchat is essential.

This is true and important in this format.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Thanks for running this game. I had fun and the roles were really cool.

I made gut calls and just shot from the hip because that's kind of my thing, sometimes it works really well , most times it doesn't. We still won so it's all good. :shrug:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

CapitalistPig posted:

I made gut calls and just shot from the hip because that's kind of my thing, sometimes it works really well , most times it doesn't. We still won so it's all good. :shrug:

You actually saved beet from a loss. By killing him, you prevented him from being converted, which is a low priority action.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CapitalistPig posted:

Yeah, at the start of the game I wasn't feeling it but after a couple game days I was really enjoying this, thanks Yami.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Yeah as much poo poo as I gave cpig for that beet kill, it wasn't indefensible, and I am sure we would have lost if he didn't kill KB. That let us know the status team's size and composition, and let us basically confirm half the playerbase.

If KB wasn't killed, it would have been mostly blind rear end guessing (or, maybe, potentially, actual scum hunting).

I was probably more of a LVP for RBing gulagdolls, although in hindsight that also helped confirm both me and gulagdolls. I proved I could RB, and he proved he could be roleblocked.

Neat puzzle game. A bit too role crazy, which seemed to lead to scum hunting paralysis (two no lynches!), but still fun.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I have no idea how to play non-town in open setups, the second I need to fakeclaim something I fall apart :eng99: Sorry to the unseen for not fighting harder/better after I was found out as bulletproof.

Thanks for the game Yami!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeah I totally was super busy at work that last day I was alive and pretty trapped because I couldn't come up with a plausible roleclaim in the limited time I had to even make a defense. Once Pander showed up all efforting and poo poo it was pretty much over.

Definitely a fun game, I'd like to see more run to really see how the balance is in forum format. It seemed hard to be scum to me, eventually a massclaim is going to be very tough to lie through.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah I totally was super busy at work that last day I was alive and pretty trapped because I couldn't come up with a plausible roleclaim in the limited time I had to even make a defense. Once Pander showed up all efforting and poo poo it was pretty much over.

Definitely a fun game, I'd like to see more run to really see how the balance is in forum format. It seemed hard to be scum to me, eventually a massclaim is going to be very tough to lie through.

The town just got a bit too much info. The flip flavor mattered. I could segment players somewhat using RB-able or RB-immune. The king's actions being public helped the town.

It was a dangerous game, lots of kills, and lots of chances for things to result in mis-reading of night actions. And it took effort; I didn't realize how juanito could empower Hal N1, which was breaking my brain. I had to re-read 2P a dozen times to finally get it together.

That woulda been a survival strategy as scum: learn the roles and plan out how to claim based on the night actions you take. Build night actions around plausible paths, and play well during the day to keep heat off. KB, MMT, bminus, and Hal all drew a fair bit of heat compared to other folks. Their saving grace was town apathy (and slightly odd deadline timing) led to no lynches.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The flip flavor was actually a choice by the players. They could go generic or based on their role. It's supposed to be a replacement for death notes in the original game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Oh my God those N1 night actions are AMAZING.

Moat and Hal were just lightning rods of attention.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol I just noticed that retro and I both flirted with Gulag on n2

MMT could have blown up the whole town if she used her secondary that night

well, not the whole town, but it still would have been funny

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

The flip flavor was actually a choice by the players. They could go generic or based on their role. It's supposed to be a replacement for death notes in the original game.
which was what made N3 so confounding. It suddenly went to "killed". I wondered if there was a hidden janitor mechanic, or gulagdolls was mistaken/lying/wrong.

In hindsight, the scum should have just put the flavor from other non-scum kills into their own kill flavor to sow confusion.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, it's hard to judge balance since the lurking/giving up was off the charts. But it does feel pretty challenging for scum to navigate this game.

Like, at one point it seemed like scum had it in the bag just due to town apathy. But if town was actually playing from the start? I think it would have gone bad for scum even earlier.

I asked Yami about it, and apparently the actual game this is based on doesn't normally have mass claims, because it goes so quick. But forum mafia wise, it feels like you could mass claim this setup pretty easily and narrow your scum list down super quick from day 1. Alternately if you wait for a day or two of results, then when you mass claim there is pretty much nowhere to hide.

Also, I think the extra information provided on actions in this game makes it even harder for scum to navigate.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Pander posted:

which was what made N3 so confounding. It suddenly went to "killed". I wondered if there was a hidden janitor mechanic, or gulagdolls was mistaken/lying/wrong.

In hindsight, the scum should have just put the flavor from other non-scum kills into their own kill flavor to sow confusion.

It was a set choice. A specific flavor specific to you or generic. You couldn't actually choose your own flavor.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

If Inquisitor is BP once, why'd he die? Only hit I see him taking is gulag's.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

It was a set choice. A specific flavor specific to you or generic. You couldn't actually choose your own flavor.

Ahhh.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

He ran into gulag's guard TWICE. Also, bodyguard kills ignore bulletproof. He would have died the first time he ran into gulag's guard had moat not healed AA.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

He ran into gulag's guard TWICE. Also, bodyguard kills ignore bulletproof. He would have died the first time he ran into gulag's guard had moat not healed AA.

I didn't realize bg kills bypassed BP. It's not very clear in 2P.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah I have to apologize for the 2P. It was kind of written hastily. During play I spotted several errors in it. It'll be better in the sequel.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Oh, btw, I started up a new game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859779

Fire Emblem Mafia!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, it's hard to judge balance since the lurking/giving up was off the charts. But it does feel pretty challenging for scum to navigate this game.

Like, at one point it seemed like scum had it in the bag just due to town apathy. But if town was actually playing from the start? I think it would have gone bad for scum even earlier.

I asked Yami about it, and apparently the actual game this is based on doesn't normally have mass claims, because it goes so quick. But forum mafia wise, it feels like you could mass claim this setup pretty easily and narrow your scum list down super quick from day 1. Alternately if you wait for a day or two of results, then when you mass claim there is pretty much nowhere to hide.

Also, I think the extra information provided on actions in this game makes it even harder for scum to navigate.

yeah i think when you translated something like this to forums mafia, you have to take into account the fact that it's kind of 'designed' for five minute dayphases or w/e. having 48 hours to look over things with scrutiny shifts things a lot in town's favor

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah I had scum anxiety really hard at the start of this game (as people were sharing information and I knew I was going to look shadier and shadier if I didn't start talking) but didn't have a scumteam to talk me off the "augh I'm imploding" ledge. I actually requested a replacement because it was stressing me out but since no one seemed to be available so I troopered through.

Once I dived in I was having fun again, but then once I was outed as bulletproof I didn't really know what to do anymore. For 5 minutes I thought I was a genius when I voted for Ice thinking we had the majority but oops :eng99:

Haha I actually figured you (KB) had to be scum because if you were town you would've nailed me immediately - I feel like scum me and town me sound completely different and I've lost my ability to fake it anymore.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think cult may have made the game more balanced as well as working out how to add in Possessor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I am continuing my rebellion, from hell

• Locked thread