Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Clans messed up mechanical balance, attracted some really odious sorts of players in the Battletech community, and (as written) are authoritarian and brutal in ways that'd make Liaos blush. No one's saying you're not allowed to like the Clans, and other people not liking your favorite fictional faction isn't the worst thing in the world. :shrug:

I mean poo poo, a lot of people in the thread hate the Cappies, NRWR, and Canopians, and I sure don't take it personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, who hates the Canopians? I thought the thread had never actually used them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Weissritter posted:

If the hate is because of game mechanics, then this time-skip should be a palette cleanser, but the way I see it from the last few pages - more of the same.

I actually play tabletop, so unless PTN bought the rights off Topps when I wasn't looking (which, don't get me wrong, I would welcome), the problem is still ongoing. Plus

Pussy Cartel posted:

The Clans messed up mechanical balance, attracted some really odious sorts of players in the Battletech community, and (as written) are authoritarian and brutal in ways that'd make Liaos blush. No one's saying you're not allowed to like the Clans, and other people not liking your favorite fictional faction isn't the worst thing in the world. :shrug:

Clans are Clans are Clans, you can change them however you want, I just want them to die off. The only way you can salvage them is turning them into disposable shock troops for someone else so they can die in droves.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Pussy Cartel posted:

I mean poo poo, a lot of people in the thread hate the Cappies, NRWR, and Canopians, and I sure don't take it personal.

It will be as off-putting to me if people take the chance to crap on Cappies/NRWR/Canopians (though I do not think a lot of people hate the last one?) every other chance they got.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

AJ_Impy posted:

Ah, so more of a Chelsea/ Man City dealie.

So Yankees/Red Sox for us non divegrass watchers who prefer luckswing?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

So Yankees/Red Sox for us non divegrass watchers who prefer luckswing?

If the Yankees got to come onto the field with a gun, yes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

If the Yankees got to come onto the field with a gun, yes.

With the guns Judge and Stanton among others are packing, they might as well be. But I take your point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pussy Cartel posted:

I haven't really seen many people saying "I hope your favorite faction dies and anything I can do to make it happen faster is a bonus" about any of those.

It's less 'taking it personal' and more 'not feeling welcome in the thread'

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Strobe posted:

I haven't really seen many people saying "I hope your favorite faction dies and anything I can do to make it happen faster is a bonus" about any of those.

It was especially prevalent when the thread had the opportunity to change the course of the andurien campaign by accepting a clan's challenge, choosing the stakes, and giving them a fight under trial rules as a bonus round. An opportunity to interject plot-nudges or player-driven choice that would have shifted the outcome - for example, a trial of 'if you lose hand over all your nukes for the siege' would have happened - and it was full of 'screw the clanners' bile to an incredibly pitched degree.

Its still sort of sad there was more vitriol than clever thinking. Moment to step up and people wasted it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Strobe posted:

You know this is an imaginary game right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Please remember to keep things civil, no matter your feelings on a faction.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai, I hope the Capellan Confederation dies and I will do everything in my power to feed it to the Free Worlds League.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zaodai, I hope the Capellan Confederation dies and I will do everything in my power to feed it to the Free Worlds League.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Hare Brained Schemes game has made me a fan of the FWL just because their merc liaison has a rockin' hat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mezzanon posted:

You know this is an imaginary game right?

And you know you're talking to a real person, right?

This particular argument you're trying is extremely mediocre regardless of your position re: clans

urbanmechs at dawn

as soon as I can find one in HBS BT, that is

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I am onto you, clearly you are going to feed the FWL to the Lyran Commonwealth next.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Weissritter posted:

I am onto you, clearly you are going to feed the FWL to the Lyran Commonwealth next.

What do you think I created the Star League for?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Atreus delenda est

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 11, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

:saddowns:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Night10194 posted:

The Hare Brained Schemes game has made me a fan of the FWL just because their merc liaison has a rockin' hat.

Yeah, Davinder Singh's FWL-coloured dastar game is on point.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

So looking at my mech it looks like my main tactic is literally, "Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I noticed a few copypaste errors on my shad's sheet and maintain that Hiro got the numbers wrong on purpose

Zikan posted:

So looking at my mech it looks like my main tactic is literally, "Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword."

I want to point out that those LRM-4s are actually LRM20s, except with full 5-point hits instead of piecemeal clusters

Like four Thunderbolt/5's taped together, but with proper LRM range brackets

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 11, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Zikan posted:

Those LRM-4s are effectively a brace of the old LRM20s, you're in a fast cavalry heavy mech with a powerful fire support loadout and a deadly close range backup.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's the difference between AC AP and HE ammo again?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Kinetic vs explosive damage, to bypass the now ubiquitous armors that resist one damage type (kinetic, explosive, and energy).

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Night10194 posted:

AP does half damage against KR armor, and HE does half damage against AR armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

HE bypasses kinetic resistant (KR) armor, AP bypasses ablative-reactive (AR) armor

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

What's the difference between normal and HK missile ammo?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zikan posted:

What's the difference between normal and HK missile ammo?

HK is swarm ammo, it's more expensive but any missiles that miss will attack targets that are adjacent to an enemy 'Mech. It's not always useful and can strike allies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I know this is only tangentially related but

Ya'll ready to Mech America Great Again?

Never thought I'd see that leave Japan, despite being the most 'Murrican game ever made.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Never thought I'd see that leave Japan, despite being the most 'Murrican game ever made.

They did it, they actually did it

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Holy poo poo, Metal Wolf is coming!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PTN, my PC is potentially hosed and I might have to bow out to an alternate if I can't get it fixed in time as I don't wanna try play this mission in my phone. How long do I have before the first orders will be due?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Until the last three words we almost agreed on something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

PTN, my PC is potentially hosed and I might have to bow out to an alternate if I can't get it fixed in time as I don't wanna try play this mission in my phone. How long do I have before the first orders will be due?

First actual mission update will go up Wednesday.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

You have all week, you'll note that no one's even on the map yet. First orders will be due Saturday night most likely.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

Until the last three words we almost agreed on something.

To be clear, this is after the CapCon and the Federasts have mutually obliterated each other, because that's a fight I don't want either side to win

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Misread something. Whoops.
So, yeah.

I understand the hatred of the clans from the perspective of tabletop issues, but I feel like Dead-Gay-Comedy-Forum-Space-Robits-Play-By-Mail-Simulator is far enough removed that maybe we could just wait and see how PTN's changes work out.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 11, 2018

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress ComStar, that is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

To be clear, this is after the CapCon and the Federasts have mutually obliterated each other, because that's a fight I don't want either side to win

And here I thought I was putting out an olive branch.