Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
While I do love mocking audiophiles, I also really like buying second hand audioquest interconnects from them when they invariably feel the need to upgrade. The low end ones are just really aesthetically pleasing and come in nice short lengths and minimize clutter (they sound IDENTICAL to the nanometer thin rca cables that come bundled with things). Also, the type of person to spend 80 dollars on a 2 foot long RCA cable doesn't usually value their money and are really susceptible to haggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoesNotCompute posted:

(they sound IDENTICAL to the nanometer thin rca cables that come bundled with things).
Didn't somebody do some proper double-blind testing and people couldn't tell the difference between some high end cables and a loving metal coathanger?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Zereth posted:

Didn't somebody do some proper double-blind testing and people couldn't tell the difference between some high end cables and a loving metal coathanger?

That is definitely a thing that happened, don't have the link handy but it's well documented. I feel bad second-hand supporting an industry full of lies entirely because I just really like how nice cables look. I'm just a different kind of idiot.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bargearse posted:

I gotta admit I rip everything to FLAC because, why the hell not, storage is cheap these days.

same

I mean, why risk having that one audible artifact :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I think buying something because you think it looks nice is perfectly valid.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

same

I mean, why risk having that one audible artifact :v:

Same, because it lets me transcode to whichever new lossy format comes along, with no generational loss.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Same, because it lets me transcode to whichever new lossy format comes along, with no generational loss.

Still waiting for widespread Opus support.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ntan1 posted:

I did not start to worry about FLAC vs 320 mp3 until I started spending quite a bit on headphone audio equipment, and were talking about the thousands.

Post your horrible carpet so I can think even less of you.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Zereth posted:

It's in the thread title. Page 11-12

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

It's in the thread title. Page 11-12
No that was something else, it wasn't done on this site IIRC.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

a busted-up mailbox posted:

Still waiting for widespread Opus support.

You and me both. It's so much better than any other lossy codec in widespread use, except in hardware support.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So what should I do with this Ponyo thing? I tried giving it to my half-alien friend, but he likes his Zune.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Zereth posted:

Here.

Dr. Bob Dean posted:

We gathered up a 5 of our audio buddies. We took my "old" Martin Logan SL-3 (not a bad speaker for accurate noise making) and hooked them up with Monster 1000 speaker cables (decent cables according to the audio press). We also rigged up 14 gauge, oxygen free Belden stranded copper wire with a simple PVC jacket. Both were 2 meters long. They were connected to an ABX switch box allowing blind fold testing. Volume levels were set at 75 Db at 1000K Hz. A high quality recording of smooth, trio, easy listening jazz was played (Piano, drums, bass). None of us had heard this group or CD before, therefore eliminating biases. The music was played. Of the 5 blind folded, only 2 guessed correctly which was the monster cable. (I was not one of them). This was done 7 times in a row! Keeping us blind folded, my brother switched out the Belden wire (are you ready for this) with simple coat hanger wire! Unknown to me and our 12 audiophile buddies, prior to the ABX blind test, he took apart four coat hangers, reconnectd them and twisted them into a pair of speaker cables. Connections were soldered. He stashed them in a closet within the testing room so we were not privy to what he was up to. This made for a pair of 2 meter cables, the exact length of the other wires. The test was conducted. After 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire. Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use. Needless to say, after the blind folds came off and we saw what my brother did, we learned he was right...most of what manufactures have to say about their products is pure hype. It seems the more they charge, the more hyped it is.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
well they tested at 1000 kHz, no wonder they couldn't hear differences :v:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Most wine aficionados can't tell the difference between red and white wine when blindfolded and if you tell them the same wine is from different regions they will swear blind that the glasses taste different.

Play the same music clips on the same system but make a big song and dance changing amps between expensive and cheap amps and people will swear blind that they can tell a difference between the sound.

The human brain is fantastic at lying to itself.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Pfft. Probably didn't even connect the cables in the right direction. Also, what cable risers did he use? That makes a big difference.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also no brilliant pebbles, so the whole thing is bunk

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TomR posted:

I think buying something because you think it looks nice is perfectly valid.

It is valid to buy something simply because of aesthetics. Howeverrrrrrrrr these products also claim to be basically magic and if you're buying them because you believe in magic then you're an idiot.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah I know, I was mostly thinking of the guy buying used cables knowing full well they are bunk, but that they look cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Doing something for the sake of convenience, aesthetics, or novelty is completely valid.

Insisting against all evidence to the contrary that your choices have affected the performance of your system is fair game for ridicule.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bullshit. Airbrushing a bitchin' flame and putting spinning rims on my speakers absolutely improved the airiness and grip.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

grack posted:

Bullshit. Vacuuming a bitchin' flame into my rug absolutely improved the airiness and grip.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Good news if you're looking to buy a Range Rover in the future, they're putting in hi res audio capabilities into their cars! Y'know cars, those perfect listening environments that are super quiet so you can really make use of that extra dynamic range afforded by 24bit audio!

Friend just told me they've had a demo and it sounds good. Of course there's nothing to AB test it with and the car's static. What is the point?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Good news if you're looking to buy a Range Rover in the future, they're putting in hi res audio capabilities into their cars! Y'know cars, those perfect listening environments that are super quiet so you can really make use of that extra dynamic range afforded by 24bit audio!

Friend just told me they've had a demo and it sounds good. Of course there's nothing to AB test it with and the car's static. What is the point?
Bullet point feature

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh of course but in practice you'd never be able to tell. It's the old 'fleece the idiot public' thing again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You have to remember most hardcore audiophiles are people with loads of money*. Range Rovers are expensive as gently caress SUVs. There's good crossover here.

*Usually.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This will be great for listening to my church on AM radio

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know what I realized would actually be a legit use for those Bose neck speaker things?

Bicycles. As they are classified as vehicles in most jurisdictions, you are not allowed to wear headphones while riding them (though that law is never realistically enforced). Boom, solution!

(I'm still not buying them)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

You know what I realized would actually be a legit use for those Bose neck speaker things?

Bicycles. As they are classified as vehicles in most jurisdictions, you are not allowed to wear headphones while riding them (though that law is never realistically enforced). Boom, solution!

(I'm still not buying them)

I got some cheapo Amazon bone conduction phones for that purpose. The quality isn't great but its kind of neat to have the sound of inside your head.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Why do I need a $350 DAC?
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac

quote:

R-2R is known to produce rich, warm, natural sound and can have benefits in spatial awareness and staging. But because this type of design requires expensive high-precision matched resistors (and a lot of them), for a long time, well-implemented R-2R DACs could only be found in $5,000-plus products. More than 2 years in the making, this sign-magnitude DAC has two independent 24-bit ladders with 48 resistors apiece per each of the two channels, which cancel out errors and distortion for purer processing.

We aimed to solve many of the common issues that can occur in DACs—namely, congestion, graininess, and the disjoined presentation of vocals to overall soundstage. Because digital storage and conversion are, at their core, math, errors or approaches can result in these unpleasant analog signal characteristics. For example, if unnaturally fast, sharp rise times are amplified from mathematical conversions, they can sound harsh or unnatural in your headphones or speakers.

drat those unnatural numbers in my speakers!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R-2R is the most easy DAC to make, ever. Takes a bit of space if you're breadboarding it, but it's so freaking simple.

So of course someone figured out they could bilk idiots with it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DAC chips are like $4 each in bulk for really good ones that go in pro-level audio interfaces, if you must spend a lot of money on one just push the boat out and get a Benchmark, they at least measure better even if they don't sound better.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Arguably, a car at rest could be a better listening environment than a living room. The speaker locations relative to the seat are precisely known, there's plenty of soft materials on the walls, and the degree of soundproofing that keeps out road noise also blocks background.

Of course that's compared to a typical home setup and not someone who cares about Hi Res Audio in the first place.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speleothing posted:

Arguably, a car at rest could be a better listening environment than a living room. The speaker locations relative to the seat are precisely known, there's plenty of soft materials on the walls, and the degree of soundproofing that keeps out road noise also blocks background.

Of course that's compared to a typical home setup and not someone who cares about Hi Res Audio in the first place.

My new company is taking old car chases and installing them into rich peoples houses as listening stations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Speleothing posted:

If you forget the glass sure, glass is pretty terrible acoustically speaking and your head is just surrounded with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cars are compromised listening environments at best even sat still. I've been in a lot of genuinely great sounding cars but even a relatively budget stereo in a decent room will sound better if only because you can have the speakers in the proper places.

...you get a wicked amount of cabin gain in cars though so you can get some decent sub action on the go.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

If you forget the glass sure, glass is pretty terrible acoustically speaking and your head is just surrounded with it.

Have you seen the beltlines on cars lately?

Give it 10 years, and there won't be any glass at all - just cameras to see out with.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

To be fair that is one of the more obnoxious examples you could have found. Plus everyone gets SUVs or pickup trucks still.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I want to see the technology from the flagship Beolab speakers in cars. The speakers have builtin microphones so they constantly listen to themselves and adjust for the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That already exists (or existed until a few years ago), as the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, which was an option on the Audi A8 and a handful of other high-end cars.

It sounded absolutely astoundingly good, but they just couldn't compete with the brand recognition of Burmester on the high end, and Bose, Infinity and so on, in the mid-range segment.