Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not so sure...

I think that in NInja Gaiden, the game only mocked you if you intentionally started on the Easy difficulty. The game will let you drop down the difficulty after you die so many times, and I don't think you get any patronizing notes from Ayane if you do that. However, I don't know if that's the case (I was playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and it's been a long time since I've played it.)

I usualy play on easy mode for game, so i have never taken the mocking/ribbing seriously or minded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've drawn a line in the sand and if I swear to god that if anybody crosses it even with an ironic joke I will continue to update my twitter.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The scare quotes on """joking""" really sell his sad hand wringing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

The scare quotes on """joking""" really sell his sad hand wringing.

Yeah, gotta pretend to be persecuted somehow. https://mobile.twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1006041734256549888 Now he pretends to be moderate.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

WampaLord posted:

Someone should show him Starcraft 1 and blow his mind when he hears "nuclear launch detected"

He's not nearly as insane in his videos as he is on Twitter. His video on The Big Bang Theory is actually pretty brilliant.

Yeah, I like both of the Big Bang Theory videos he did, but now that I know who made them I wish I didn't.

Edit: didn't know, not didn't like

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i wanted to like life is strange but i disliked chloe. and the fact that she is only a nice person if she gets hosed up in a car wreck was kinda hosed up. like i get her character and stuff but jesus. as someone who has disibilites i hate the "magic jesus cripple" poo poo. its why i hate me before you or fault in our stars.

I had kind of a rocky relationship with Life Is Strange for pretty much this reason, but I came to like Chloe just in time for one of the most irritating endings I've seen in years.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh.

I think the worst part is I agree with him. Games rely on violence and explosions to sell, and almost all of them being shown off at E3 do. I don't think a single game Bethesda showed didn't let you either shoot a gun or swing a sword as your primary means of interacting with the world. Part of the reason the most exciting games for me from this E3 are Unravel 2, Ori 2 and the Don'tNod game I can't remember the name of, because between all the bullets and pulse pounding action are games that games that try to engage with players in other, less conflict driven ways.

But I also want Cyberpunk 2077 and Devil May Cry 5 and Doom 2, cause gently caress yeah pulse pounding action is exactly what I want sometimes, and no other medium delivers on action like games do.

Does having so much violence and corrupt morality in games negatively influence people? Yes.

But do you really need to self-martyr yourself to get that point across? Are you getting that point across when you preach like that? Like, is twitter a platform of communication or public flogging for you?

Solitair posted:

Yeah, I like both of the Big Bang Theory videos he did, but now that I know who made them I wish I didn't.

Meh, even if he's being a dickhead on twitter his Big Bang videos are good and make good points and trash a trash show so I still like them. Just cause he's wrong about presenting a case against the evils of video games doesn't mean he's wrong about bad comedy TV.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 11, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solitair posted:

Yea that's basically how I feel now.

Further proof that Twitter is awful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Yea that's basically how I feel now.

Further proof that Twitter is awful.

He also did the "Born Sexy Yesterday" video that was really good too. God, that's depressing to know he's also a shithead in the opposite direction.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Ugh.

I think the worst part is I agree with him. Games rely on violence and explosions to sell, and almost all of them being shown off at E3 do. I don't think a single game Bethesda showed didn't let you either shoot a gun or swing a sword as your primary means of interacting with the world. Part of the reason the most exciting games for me from this E3 are Unravel 2, Ori 2 and the Don'tNod game I can't remember the name of, because between all the bullets and pulse pounding action are games that games that try to engage with players in other, less conflict driven ways.

But I also want Cyberpunk 2077 and Devil May Cry 5 and Doom 2, cause gently caress yeah pulse pounding action is exactly what I want sometimes, and no other medium delivers on action like games do.

Does having so much violence and corrupt morality in games negatively influence people? Yes.

But do you really need to self-martyr yourself to get that point across? Are you getting that point across when you preach like that? Like, is twitter a platform of communication or public flogging for you?

Meh, even if he's being a dickhead on twitter his Big Bang videos are good and make good points and trash a trash show so I still like them. Just cause he's wrong about presenting a case against the evils of video games doesn't mean he's wrong about bad comedy TV.

Yeah. I want to like his stuff but he goes off on insane poo poo and is weird prude. He tries to moderate himself but he lets his true feelings slip a lot.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just make tetris and picross and the problem is solved

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tetris is about toxic masculinity because its about shoving things into holes

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Ugh.

Honestly, I think it's just a sense of mean spiritedness that separates a game that has violence from a game that is violent. That can come from a number of places, like tone, aesthetic, gory details, who it's happening to etc. Something like a DmC sniper rifle abortion or God of War head ripping is way more violent than say Dante getting pinned to a wall with his sword in DMC4 or Doomguy blowing up a demon.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, I think it's just a sense of mean spiritedness that separates a game that has violence from a game that is violent. That can come from a number of places, like tone, aesthetic, gory details, who it's happening to etc. Something like a DmC sniper rifle abortion or God of War head ripping is way more violent than say Dante getting pinned to a wall with his sword in DMC4 or Doomguy blowing up a demon.

You know, the DmC thing is another thing I can't understand. I was shocked by the sniper rifle abortion scene, but so many people who you think would be against the game defend it.

Waypoint: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/paka8n/why-didnt-more-people-like-ninja-theorys-devil-may-cry
https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/994628523598995456
Jim Sterling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaiXU_lMl1U

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Max Wilco posted:

You know, the DmC thing is another thing I can't understand. I was shocked by the sniper rifle abortion scene, but so many people who you think would be against the game defend it.

Waypoint: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/paka8n/why-didnt-more-people-like-ninja-theorys-devil-may-cry

both of those tell me it's entirely because of the talking head boss fight

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Probably because it makes sense thematically. That game is pretty obviously a takedown of toxic masculinity and seeing other people, especially women, as objects.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

baronvonsabre posted:

That game is pretty obviously a takedown of toxic masculinity and seeing other people, especially women, as objects.

I don't think I could ever give DmC anything approaching this much credit.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but it seems like Edgy Teenager's First Satire to me.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

That’s your prerogative, but given that the story supervisor was Alex Garland, who wrote Ex Machina and Dredd, both of which deal with similar themes, it’s not exactly a stretch

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There definitely needs to be people taking the video game industry/culture to task for it's failings (seriously, with how hard Microsoft was hammering the GAMERS AS AN IDENTITY button Peter Coffin must have been foaming at the mouth), Macintosh isn't one of those people.

So maybe we can move on instead of reiterating how much of an idiot he is.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
We get it Dapper_Swindler you have a strange hate boner for jonathon mcintosh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

We get it Dapper_Swindler you have a strange hate boner for jonathon mcintosh

the gamergate thread in gbs became verboten so he had to take his spam elsewhere

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The new fallout is gonna be a loving mess because how the gently caress do you even construct a game like this where people can just nuke any city they want lol

Metal Wolf Chaos is the really big news here

Augus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 11, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm excited for the game map to be absolutely unlivable within three months and the inevitable Bethesda response that we've all learned a very valuable lesson about nuclear war, coupled with a patch that undercuts that completely.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I mean, it's Bethesda, so what'll probably happen is that they'll overpromise and underdeliver and the nukes will also turn off gravity in the world when they land if they work at all.

Also the next From Software game got revealed and it's Dark Souls in Japan, published by Activison. I look forward to the terrible, terrible takes from content creators.

PS I'm mad as gently caress we haven't gotten an Armored Core 6 announcement Miyazaki pls.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I Before E posted:

I'm excited for the game map to be absolutely unlivable within three months and the inevitable Bethesda response that we've all learned a very valuable lesson about nuclear war, coupled with a patch that undercuts that completely.

You know how (Or if you don't) Ready Player One had a really moronic sounding thing where like, someone could buy an item that kills EVERYONE in a zone or whatever? And the game was shown like this somehow wouldn't be a daily occurrence? I bet this is gonna be the reality of that stupid writing, it's either that or it'll actually be something completely toothless.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

You know how (Or if you don't) Ready Player One had a really moronic sounding thing where like, someone could buy an item that kills EVERYONE in a zone or whatever? And the game was shown like this somehow wouldn't be a daily occurrence? I bet this is gonna be the reality of that stupid writing, it's either that or it'll actually be something completely toothless.

We were the nukes all along

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

What I took from the trailer was you have a VERY rare chance to find a piece of a code to a single specific nuke site. It's not so much "I got a nuke token, gonna spend it killing a player-city, lol", as "We spent ages to finally get all X pieces for one code for the launch site on the far side of the map. Should we consider trying to go there without getting player-killed along the way?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Half of that guy's tweets quoted here are gone, screencaps are your friend, folks.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

McIntosh is right about Fallout 76's nukes being messed up, but the problems kind of started with Fallout 3 going away from the original's harsh criticism of Pre-War society. "Oh yeah now that you survived the nukes here's the chance to nuke other people as a gameplay feature" is the cherry on top from well,

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1006018390631297027

Also as for Cyberpunk 2077, well...

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/1005958197654351872

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The original teaser for Cyberpunk made it seem a lot more interesting than this trailer made it look. I dunno.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Max Wilco posted:

The irony of McIntosh hating games like Doom, but being a fan of Steven Universe is that I've heard stories about how vitriolic the SU fanbase gets, while the Doom community seems mostly laidback.

Like I'm not saying that Steven Universe is bad (I haven't watched it), or that you should just like Doom, but it's just weird to me.

Hardly, the Doom community regularly farts out people like BrutalDoom creator Sergeant Mark IV and produces things like this from other creeps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijOcKQoi_EM

These kinds of insular fan communities always get loving weird.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Noel's House Party was the poo poo. (For very young me, anyway.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_JzVjx7VXU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Well, yeah. It’s based on a tabletop game from the 80s so of course it’s going to look like an 80s retro-future, and of course elements of the genre that were once new are going to seem generic after all this time. The real question is whether they’ll be able to take this stock setting and tell an interesting story in it, and CDPR have an excellent track record in that regard.

KayTee posted:

Noel's House Party was the poo poo. (For very young me, anyway.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_JzVjx7VXU

Now there’s a blast from the past. I ended up watching a lot of Noel’s House Party, but it wasn’t the sort of thing I would intentionally seek out. It’s more that there was nothing else on, and it aired right before that Superman show on the same channel so it was a fun way of killing time.

Looking back on it, Blobby seems to have been a primordial example of the sort of thing that would end up going viral on the internet. It was stupid, but in an ironic way where the stupidity was the point of the joke.

Also, Blobby seems to have had his share of unironic fans as well. One time, (and I swear I’m not making this up) a kid in my primary school class drew several pages of Mr. Blobby fanart for a class assignment. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 11, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, long drawn out poo poo or weirdly hosed up mean poo poo always feels worse. In new doom, all the Uber violent kill moves are quick and sorta “utilitarian”. Kill daemon and make sure it’s super dead. Same with wolfenstein TNC. They are gory but they arnt 5 minuets long overly brutal like god of war 3. Gore is fun but when it’s over done to an extreme, it’s dumb.

Kunster posted:

McIntosh is right about Fallout 76's nukes being messed up, but the problems kind of started with Fallout 3 going away from the original's harsh criticism of Pre-War society. "Oh yeah now that you survived the nukes here's the chance to nuke other people as a gameplay feature" is the cherry on top from well,

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1006018390631297027
Yeah, that’s why I always loved new Vegas. It had similar depth to the original. It had factions taking different parts of the old world and trying to retrofit it with the new one. But yeah, Bethesda loves aesthetics more then they do themes and depth. Sometimes they try but with this game, I doubt it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I am not surprised people miss it. I mean it’s passable and it’s so dumb and ham fisted and cringy that you can laugh at it. The combat was fun and you shoot a Fox News host. That being said it should have been it’s own game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/994628954144362499

;) I don't actually think this

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, long drawn out poo poo or weirdly hosed up mean poo poo always feels worse. In new doom, all the Uber violent kill moves are quick and sorta “utilitarian”. Kill daemon and make sure it’s super dead. Same with wolfenstein TNC. They are gory but they arnt 5 minuets long overly brutal like god of war 3. Gore is fun but when it’s over done to an extreme, it’s dumb.

This was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of too, DOOM kills are like

-A swift kick in the kidney and then a crunchy punch in the neck
-Open palm grab one side of the head and push into a head popping punch
-Land on a guy and stomp their head down in one swoop
-Punch this floaty cyclopic demon through his eye

While God of War and similar get grossly masturbatory about watching every sinew in this gurgling for mercy character's neck tear while you wrench their head off oh god yes you can see their esophagus spill out and dangle mmm almost there. :yikes:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

PS I'm mad as gently caress we haven't gotten an Armored Core 6 announcement Miyazaki pls.

Given how badly they botched 4, V, and VD, I do not trust them with a new game. fA was passable at least.

What I'd really like to see is them do an HD remaster of 2 through Last Raven, maybe even throw in a remaster of the PS2 version of Formula Front that we never got for funsies. Or an AC1/PP/MoA remake. Something where they go back to Kawamori running mech design and ditch whoever has been on that squad for the last few years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Augus posted:

The original teaser for Cyberpunk made it seem a lot more interesting than this trailer made it look. I dunno.

This is true, the new one reminded me of Watch_Dogs with better art direction and more over the top. The original had a great song and a more out there aesthetic, and I really wanted to know who the killer lady was.

^ how much of 4 being botched was because of Sega being garbage at localization though? I’d kill for a remaster of all the old ones though, preferably with non-poo poo controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lightning Knight posted:

This is true, the new one reminded me of Watch_Dogs with better art direction and more over the top. The original had a great song and a more out there aesthetic, and I really wanted to know who the killer lady was.

^ how much of 4 being botched was because of Sega being garbage at localization though? I’d kill for a remaster of all the old ones though, preferably with non-poo poo controls.

To be honest I like this trailer a lot and CD Projekt has a good enough track record that I trust them more than Ubisoft not to balls this up. I also like seeing something cyberpunk showing off actual daylight for once.