Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taintrunner posted:

We’ve talked about ED’s weaknesses to death in this thread already.

Oh, i think we could rustle up some more though!

I mean, doesn't it annoy you when you are in a distribution center in a famine system and the ships are HIGH waking away?

Not so much a distribution center but more like a shady rip off the hungry people center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1006001665235812354

I should have expected this from the Star Citizen thread.

Bethesda Game Studios Austin is Bethesda Game Studios. They are a satellite studio, exactly the same way Bethesda Game Studios Montreal is Bethesda Game Studios. The game will release with the splash screen 'Bethesda Game Studios' on it.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-09-battlecry-studios-becomes-third-bethesda-game-studios-office posted:

Rather than close the studio, BattleCry has supported work for other teams and assisted the expansions for id Software's Doom.

Now the firm has become part of Bethesda Softwork's primary internal development unit, Bethesda Game Studios.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/05/bethesda-announces-fallout-76/ posted:

From what we've heard, this game is under development at both Bethesda Game Studios' main office in Maryland and at the Austin office formerly known as Battlecry Studios.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Why the gently caress is this even a thing.

CIG and their popup companies are a thing because its related to the loving Mafia and Gizmondo and thats why it's worth mentioning causes its funny.

If one day CIG gets nailed for money laundering and CR makes the NYT Headlines, we're gonna quote the poo poo of out it cause we loving called it.

Bethesda makes games. CIG don't and they're linked to Gizmondo and the Swedish Mafia. :colbert:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Beyond Good and Evil 2 will showcase some good spaceship pew pew and pupil to planet tech.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Spiderdrake posted:

No game can live up to the nothing nonsense maze of bullshit spawning endless dreams as backers construct a narrative from a gibbering half-thumb that walks like a man.

And thus the cycle will repeat itself. Starfield will release, be good, and they will call it poo poo that ripped off Star Citizen and is for babby casual console gamers who don't understand a real grind / not p2w at all, etc etc, you know all the drills. I do sort of wonder if the citizens at the bottom of the world's most depressing totem pole feel the ground come up to them as more casuals look away. As they begin to realize they will be the space janitors (in their dreams) as the (fictional) economy continues to sink, does it slice a couple more of them off?

Yea, I feel like this is gonna have to happen a few more times and whale wallets will have to grow a bit lighter before they finally snap out of their religious fervor.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

no_recall posted:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 will showcase some good spaceship pew pew and pupil to planet tech.

At this point, I don't even know what I want from Beyond Good & Evil 2. Another good question at this point is do I even want Beyond Good & Evil 2? It's no Duke Nukem Forever, to be sure, but it's still been so long that any expectations I had have been eroded into sand.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheDarkFlame posted:

At this point, I don't even know what I want from Beyond Good & Evil 2. Another good question at this point is do I even want Beyond Good & Evil 2? It's no Duke Nukem Forever, to be sure, but it's still been so long that any expectations I had have been eroded into sand.

Who cares really? It'll just let us laugh at the ever growing margin of CIG's incompetency that Star Citizen purists continue to turn a blind eye on.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Just woke up to see the official Starfield Announcement.

Ha.

Haha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

CIG must be making GBS threads themselves now. RIP Star Citizen.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Xaerael posted:

Ha.

Haha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahhh. You must be new.

This is good for Star Citizen because reasons and dreams.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Ha.

Haha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Xaereal, what did you think of the music? I know we had this discussion about Star Cit music a couple weeks back. I thought the starfield trailer music was instantly satisfying!

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Am genuinely super excited about that game and it's soundtrack.

I can't wait to find out more info about the game.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8q8fla/goddamned_vaporware_with_no_release_date_no_fixed/e0h7zvx/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Citizens so salty even though we don't know anything about Starfield except that it's a singleplayer space rpg

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Ghostlight posted:

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1006001665235812354

I should have expected this from the Star Citizen thread.

Bethesda Game Studios Austin is Bethesda Game Studios. They are a satellite studio, exactly the same way Bethesda Game Studios Montreal is Bethesda Game Studios. The game will release with the splash screen 'Bethesda Game Studios' on it.

so they have moved into games as a service as well. how wonderful.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Xaereal, what did you think of the music? I know we had this discussion about Star Cit music a couple weeks back. I thought the starfield trailer music was instantly satisfying!

It tells a quick story and gives a feel. Single lonely piano notes evoking the loneliness of space followed by a rise to a crescendo accompanying the dawn of a new day on the planet we see. Then what sounds like a faction or game motif as the Station scrolls into view.

It's a bit generic, but good. The interesting part being generic CAN be good if done in the right way, because it invokes familiarity. It kinda reminds me of John William's version of the original Star Trek theme.

What is interesting is it does sway me towards feeling that it's a "Spaceship" game theme.

Star Citizen's OST is still boring, and sounds like it was written by some new to composing. Which it turns out isn't far from the truth. Pedro's outings before SC were pretty low end/small stuff. I think the sad thing is throwing him in the deep end this way by offering him what must seem like the chance of a lifetime could ultimately damage his career as a composer. He ended up in a situation where, sure, he could walk, and maybe was ready to start running, but maybe deciding off the back of his ability to walk that doing the Olympic 100m sprint might have been a poor life choice.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I swear, even if i was trying to troll, i couldn't troll as well as some of the backers do.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Agony Aunt posted:

I swear, even if i was trying to troll, i couldn't troll as well as some of the backers do.

Poe's Law is in full effect TBH. I can't tell the trolls from the genuinely broke-brained cognitive dissonance to the max backers.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:allears:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Unlike CryEngine which is......errrrrrr?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dooguk posted:

Unlike CryEngine which is......errrrrrr?

Uh, excuse ME, I think you mean StarEngine! :colbert:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

CrazyLoon posted:

I think we both mean LumberCryStarEngine

e: Or in chronological order CryStarLumberEngine, which has got a certain ring to it.

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 11, 2018

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8pznyp/some_thoughts_from_a_longterm_backer_which_really/e0fil4f/

Star Citizen: They have a very talented team but the captain is drunk at the helm.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

No your honor, it is Lumberyard.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Starfield will not kill SC. What is dead may never die. Infinity War didn't kill SQ42, it just made it irrelevant. What Starfield will do (assuming it comes out next year which I would expect given typical release cycles) is just be more competition. Something else for people to compare CIG products to and wonder where all the money and time went. SC won't be out next year, so once again Chris Roberts will have yet another IP to steal from.

Taintrunner posted:

After F76 you can’t be so sure of this. So much is still unannounced about that game you’d be a fool to make this assumption so early on.

The game is single player. Todd Howard said that. It is in space, because of course it is. Other than that we don't know anything.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

EminusSleepus posted:

No your honor, it is Lumberyard.

Crytek begs to disagree.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Star Citizen will never evolve into something objectively good, all attempts to eradicate it (even nuking it from orbit) will fail, but only a crazy person would claim that it is what all other games should aspire to.

Star Citizen is the cockroach of space games.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

quote:

But to the point. The next patch is the day. Actually, probably the patch after that. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw one of the 40 different videos about game development where there doesn't seem to be a lot of game development happening. That's thanks to Chris's vision for Squadron 42, a version of the future where Asian Space Turtles are building a spacewall, where wearing four to six leather jackets at once is en vogue, where drone, slaved weapon systems, AI, and most of today's readily available technology is in pieces. And, while this world is full of boring gameplay elements like mopping, mining, drink mixing, passenger flying, don’t let the Hairy Roberts spill on you while traveling at speeds less than a World War 2 jet. Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are a mix of some weird multiplayer and singleplayer and we're not quite sure how it's all going to fit together. Is it an action-RPG, a spacesim or what, exactly? You’ll be able to create your own character and… actually, will you be able to create your own character? We have no loving idea.

lol

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Did people like the cyberpunk trailer? Driving cars and shooting guns wow, breaking new grounds.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sandweed posted:

Did people like the cyberpunk trailer? Driving cars and shooting guns wow, breaking new grounds.

I did. CD Projekt Red has a good history of developing quality games and it's exciting to see what they can do with that IP.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So have they taken credit for Starfield yet? Seems like something the SC heads would do: "Oh look, Bethesda saw our glorious space game, clearly they want in on that action!"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did. CD Projekt Red has a good history of developing quality games and it's exciting to see what they can do with that IP.

I mean the first one was really cool and set the tone, this new one was just a bland video game rear end video game trailer.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Side note: Skyrim for Alexa is a real thing and not just a comedy sketch during the Bethesda show

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The game is single player. Todd Howard said that. It is in space, because of course it is. Other than that we don't know anything.

Oh but we do. Chris Roberts and Todd Howard may both be crafting ambitious space titles, but only one of them does so while sitting on a $2300 chair that adds +100 to the “Flyboy Swagger” perk.

BigglesSWE posted:

So have they taken credit for Starfield yet? Seems like something the SC heads would do: "Oh look, Bethesda saw our glorious space game, clearly they want in on that action!"

This was stated a few weeks ago by TheAstroPub, that Bethesda decided to make a space game because Star Citizen made space games cool again. He apparently missed my warning from April 2016:

Gorf, from “Big MoMA’s House” posted:

We advise you to ignore any claims that their consecration of the Starfield project was reactive to Star Citizen's well-publicized kickoff 6 months prior– they are false. Remember, too, that this is a studio that rebooted a moribund IP in a largely forgotten genre to great success only 4 years prior to that registration-- and reaped enormous critical praise and fantastic commercial success. As with Rockstar's surprising pivot to the all-but-dead Western genre, our spies report that Bethesda was planning a space game long ahead of the rebirth of the genre.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 11, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

6:25 - 'I can't handle this anymore I can't handle the low frames I can't handle the frame stuttering. [...] the reason I've been at Levski is because I've been trapped here for a week I came here for a Miles mission and I ended up not being able to spawn my ship, not being able to get the elevators to work [...] it has ruined two gameplay sessions [...] I am furious and that has just left a sour taste in my mouth for 3.1'

'Im just not willing to put up with it anymore Im not having fun Im not enjoying it I haven't been enjoying it for quite a while'

'they discovered that they need object container streaming now Im a little skeptical of this Im not sure what to believe at this point'

'my hype is really just at an all-time low'

'this is kindof the make-it-or-break-it time for Star Citizen'

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I don't care for Cyberpunk in general being a dated view of the future that's kept alive almost entirely on nostalgia, but at least CD Project Red's game is leaning into the retro-futurism and punk tone rather than pretending it's still relevant.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

CD project fans are also really annoying. Not CIG bad but still annoying.

There is also rumors that they are real bad at running crunch much like a dev we all know and love.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

RubberJohnny posted:

I don't care for Cyberpunk in general being a dated view of the future that's kept alive almost entirely on nostalgia, but at least CD Project Red's game is leaning into the retro-futurism and punk tone rather than pretending it's still relevant.

gently caress it being a dated view, give me a truly fidelitous dystopia where I can RP a punk and chances are you got me, and a lot of others that grew up with that sort of poo poo, hooked.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Agony Aunt posted:

Hello Auntie!

So many aunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, Bethesda Austin Studio is making Fallout 76, who are BattleCry.

So to recap,

Bethesda Game Studios (who makes elder scrolls) is a software studio which is a division of Bethesda Softworks LLC the publisher.
Bethesda Softworks LLC is a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media.
Bethesda Game Studios Austin (formerly Battlecry now making Fallout 76) is a software studio which is a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media.
ZeniMax Online Studios (making Elder Scrolls Online) is a software studio which is a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media.

Whoo corporations!

Bethesda is only a tiny game developer with its four corporations.
CIG is already better because it has fifteen or sixteen, depending on how bored Ortwin is, that day.

Oh and has anyone said Storefield, yet?
Because Store Citizer lets you buy high quality jpegs.
So CIG wins again.