Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Fallen Empires will not build anything or grow pops. Outside of their capital planet(s) they will only have minimal development on their planets. Their home system has all the juicy stuff for you to 're-purpose'. When they wake up they will begin growing pops and developing tiles like a normal empire.

That's strange, and kind of annoying. You'd at least think all the systems they start with would be fully developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
It's on purpose. They're supposed to be age-old empires that went into decline and are now down to a single heavily developed system and a few colonies for, for lack of a better term, retirement villages.

It'd be cool if there were more story/motivators/variances there though. Like, the machine Fallen Empire is unlike all the others and is both really cool and really dark.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

One thing I really hate about the ticking war exhaustion is that I'm not choosing a War Economy or anything. If I am not taxing my people harder, conscripting them en-masse, and they are not getting bombed or occupied, why should my war score tick up at all? If my navy is at full strength "X" at the start of the war, and I do not build my fleet larger than X at the start of the war and all those other factors are a non-issue, why do I suffer war exhaustion? My same old fleet is simply off in foreign lands space stomping around. I guess that is a good example of it affecting versimilitude? I am bad with big words I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

One thing I really hate about the ticking war exhaustion is that I'm not choosing a War Economy or anything. If I am not taxing my people harder, conscripting them en-masse, and they are not getting bombed or occupied, why should my war score tick up at all? If my navy is at full strength "X" at the start of the war, and I do not build my fleet larger than X at the start of the war and all those other factors are a non-issue, why do I suffer war exhaustion? My same old fleet is simply off in foreign lands space stomping around. I guess that is a good example of it affecting versimilitude? I am bad with big words I guess.

GWB’s account found.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

What would you say the US's war exhaustion is at the moment? It's definitely not zero.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Black Pants posted:

It'd be cool if there were more story/motivators/variances there though. Like, the machine Fallen Empire is unlike all the others and is both really cool and really dark.

There's details if you poke around, like when you open communications with the robot caretakers they'll have a message about how Delta refuge was designed to be super reliable with extra failsafes and then you look at the system and realize it's nothing but space debris. Most of it has no mechanical impact though so you have to go digging to connect the dots.

The preserves where you can look at your kidnapped volunteer pop and see them unemployed enjoying life is great. Rogue servitors should be able to strongarm other empires for pops too. :3:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

isndl posted:

The preserves where you can look at your kidnapped volunteer pop and see them unemployed enjoying life is great. Rogue servitors should be able to strongarm other empires for pops too. :3:

Take the raiding stance/perk and kidnap people. :)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Black Pants posted:

It's on purpose. They're supposed to be age-old empires that went into decline and are now down to a single heavily developed system and a few colonies for, for lack of a better term, retirement villages.

This would be really neat especially if it was a little bit randomized to give them a unique backstory. I.e. A Holy Guardian Empire that is actually just the sad remnants of a species that got "raptured" by the Shroud or some other holy technology, leaving only the dregs of the society to keep it going without any real ability to move it forward or even keep what they had. Holy Worlds could be given a greater meaning and have a greater strategic consequence too - have them be planets that were completely raptured of the old species but still have all the old FE infrastructure on them, waiting to be restored, or a special site that is the mausoleum of a prophet, etc.

Militant Isolationists that faced a galaxy ending event and met it head on but won a Pyrrhic victory and shattered their own society in the process, or conquered the galaxy and have been waiting for new species and foes to develop to give them a challenge once again. etc

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dang, I guess space amoebas become the size of stars when they hit 100

This one is chilling out in the home system with the baby Ether drake

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Omnicarus posted:

This would be really neat especially if it was a little bit randomized to give them a unique backstory. I.e. A Holy Guardian Empire that is actually just the sad remnants of a species that got "raptured" by the Shroud or some other holy technology, leaving only the dregs of the society to keep it going without any real ability to move it forward or even keep what they had. Holy Worlds could be given a greater meaning and have a greater strategic consequence too - have them be planets that were completely raptured of the old species but still have all the old FE infrastructure on them, waiting to be restored, or a special site that is the mausoleum of a prophet, etc.

Militant Isolationists that faced a galaxy ending event and met it head on but won a Pyrrhic victory and shattered their own society in the process, or conquered the galaxy and have been waiting for new species and foes to develop to give them a challenge once again. etc

It's interesting you give that specific example. Because if you look around in a Spiritualist Fallen Empire you'll find a Shrouded World-Apostasy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hobbesmaster posted:

GWB’s account found.
I lol'd

Strobe posted:

What would you say the US's war exhaustion is at the moment? It's definitely not zero.
These aren't comparable situations at all but I'm on my phone so I can't elaborate right now.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Why can't I research the Living Metal tech? I found a deposit from an anomaly over 150 years ago and the tech option never came up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I lol'd

These aren't comparable situations at all but I'm on my phone so I can't elaborate right now.

My point is that even though your populace might not be directly experiencing hardship, the effect of war on public opinion and the daily workings of society is absolutely still felt.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah it could use some adjusting. I'm playing a game right now and me and two other civs have been repeatedly attacking almost nonstop for the entire game. I sorta feel bad. I attacked first and devoured my eastern neighbor and then moved north attacking my two northern neighbors. Since my initial attack every neighboring civ has been attacking these poor guys non stop for hundreds of years in nearly sequential order pretty much as soon as the peace deal expires.

Finally they formed a federation, although it didn't help at all. I finally decided to vassalize one of the poor guys. I occupied all of his planets and took all of his systems. Then I went and occupied all the systems and planets of the other member of the federation. They have no standing fleets, no shipyards left, no allies. Surrender though? Out of the question. Now I'm just waiting for their war exhaustion to keep ticking because apparently their acceptance of a full surrender won't clear the hurdle until they reach 99% exhaustion. Not only that, but since they're taking so long my two allies have started another war with them so now I'm afraid of some stupid claim shenanigans taking systems away from my vassal.

It's still a much better system than I remember - it just needs some tuning.

I think it was last patch that added a status quo effect during a vassilisation war that frees systems already conquered into a loyal vassal of yours. In my most recent game as conquering despots, I've found it much better to take all but one planet of a civ and status quo peace rather than fully conquer them. Rather than have a disloyal recently conquered vassal (probably with different ethics), I have a loyal vassal, that seems to share my ethics. The last remnants of the old civ can be taken over at will after the truce expires and gifted to the new vassal (for neatness).

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone here tried these Science Nexus rush builds that were making the rounds a few months ago? I stumbled across that one and decided to try it, and the experience was… Humbling. OP reliably starts their nexus within 2260-2265 on standard machine intelligence or Driven Assimilator (and commentary suggests Rogue Servitors can do the same), or 2270 with Inward Perfect/Agrarian Idyll, and I haven’t the faintest idea how they’re managing it. Their energy/mineral/unity income blows mine away in all three of my attempts, despite a lot of (apparently misguided) micro.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kestral posted:

Has anyone here tried these Science Nexus rush builds that were making the rounds a few months ago? I stumbled across that one and decided to try it, and the experience was… Humbling. OP reliably starts their nexus within 2260-2265 on standard machine intelligence or Driven Assimilator (and commentary suggests Rogue Servitors can do the same), or 2270 with Inward Perfect/Agrarian Idyll, and I haven’t the faintest idea how they’re managing it. Their energy/mineral/unity income blows mine away in all three of my attempts, despite a lot of (apparently misguided) micro.

That just seems so insane, holy poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Strobe posted:

My point is that even though your populace might not be directly experiencing hardship, the effect of war on public opinion and the daily workings of society is absolutely still felt.
Absolutely, and I'm not trying to start an argument over it or be a poo poo about it. My thing is...are those affects still felt though? You're sending computerized starships out to do your bidding - what effects will your people feel? It's all abstracted by the game. My point is that if my people are not suffering hardships during the war (as actual game mechanics) and my exhaustion has hit 100 - what are the effects? WHY is my exhaustion at 100 when my planets have never been bombed or occupied, trade and travel have not needed to be restricted, and the economy is humming along just fine? If you want me to be comfortable with a mechanic like that, give me a reason to care. Make it make sense. Don't just say "because reasons".

Unfortunately the game doesn't have good "trade", "interstellar travel/tourism", economic model or theory, or "taxation" systems to help model your pops being fed up with a war.

edit: I would love it if the game modeled trade and then could thus model said trade getting affected by the war, thus affecting my economy (potentially long term if my trade partner starts to trade with someone else instead), thus pissing of my pops who have been deprived of their favourite vice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 10, 2018

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Arrath posted:

That just seems so insane, holy poo poo.

Right? It's clearly possible and I'd love to make it work, because it appeals to the perfectionist in me, but I'm baffled as to how you generate that kind of income, unity, and tech simultaneously while rushing for 13ish planets.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Absolutely, and I'm not trying to start an argument over it or be a poo poo about it. My thing is...are those affects still felt though? You're sending computerized starships out to do your bidding - what effects will your people feel? It's all abstracted by the game. My point is that if my people are not suffering hardships during the war (as actual game mechanics) and my exhaustion has hit 100 - what are the effects? WHY is my exhaustion at 100 when my planets have never been bombed or occupied, trade and travel have not needed to be restricted, and the economy is humming along just fine? If you want me to be comfortable with a mechanic like that, give me a reason to care. Make it make sense. Don't just say "because reasons".

Unfortunately the game doesn't have good "trade", "interstellar travel/tourism", economic model or theory, or "taxation" systems to help model your pops being fed up with a war.

edit: I would love it if the game modeled trade and then could thus model said trade getting affected by the war, thus affecting my economy (potentially long term if my trade partner starts to trade with someone else instead), thus pissing of my pops who have been deprived of their favourite vice.

I'm 100% certain that ships are not entirely automated. Science Ship events mention crews on multiple occasions, and the -% fleet upkeep is called "Crew Quarters".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kestral posted:

Right? It's clearly possible and I'd love to make it work, because it appeals to the perfectionist in me, but I'm baffled as to how you generate that kind of income, unity, and tech simultaneously while rushing for 13ish planets.

Here I was in ~2370-ish farming all the low cost Engineering techs trying to get Mega Engineering to pop, poo poo. I suppose taking Voidborne and the other one to purposely seed ME are a required step, eh?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kestral posted:

By microing so hard you hate yourself.

Robots can build 1 pop per planet with no overcrowding penalty- that means, at max pop building speed, each planet produces a pop every 17.3 months. Since the main barrier to increasing your income is producing pops to work tiles, robots very quickly start an exponential growth curve that goes faster and faster with each planet they take, as long as they can maintain the mineral income to build the pops and the energy income to resettle them to new planets they are taking.

Also, it helps to know exactly what is necessary to make important techs appear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Why can't I research the Living Metal tech? I found a deposit from an anomaly over 150 years ago and the tech option never came up.

It can't come up naturally in your tech options, it has a weighting of 0 and no modifiers. I think it can only be added by event.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strobe posted:

I'm 100% certain that ships are not entirely automated. Science Ship events mention crews on multiple occasions, and the -% fleet upkeep is called "Crew Quarters".

That still assumes your ships take losses, or even fight. I've had the computer declare war on me and then sit there doing nothing as my attrition ticks up while its doesn't much because it has higher attrition resistance.

Which, I guess, means they're significantly more tolerant of passive aggressive space twitter messages given that's all the war could have comprised at that point.

That's not the effect I expected fanatic militarism to result in, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kestral posted:

Well there's been a variety of balance changes since 2.0.2 to make going wide more viable, but it still seems viable in theory since the penalties for going wide are still pretty punitive in comparison. Set up the galaxy generator for lots of planets, and turn the difficulty low so you don't need to worry about other empires (which is what they did in the Reddit thread). Only put outposts on systems with planets, and use some variety of a machine empire for rapid specialized pop production. And pick your techs strictly according to the tier requirements so you can grab mega engineering precisely when you want it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

wiegieman posted:

By microing so hard you hate yourself.

Robots can build 1 pop per planet with no overcrowding penalty- that means, at max pop building speed, each planet produces a pop every 17.3 months. Since the main barrier to increasing your income is producing pops to work tiles, robots very quickly start an exponential growth curve that goes faster and faster with each planet they take, as long as they can maintain the mineral income to build the pops and the energy income to resettle them to new planets they are taking.

Also, it helps to know exactly what is necessary to make important techs appear.

It's the "generate enough income to do this" bit that falls apart for me, but hell, I'm gonna try it again for kicks.

Are there any other interesting builds out there these days? The sort of thing you can't get away with in real-time, but if you're willing to micro obsessively - i.e., the thing I enjoy doing in Stellaris anyway - you can pull off?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kaal posted:

Well there's been a variety of balance changes since 2.0.2 to make going wide more viable, but it still seems viable in theory since the penalties for going wide are still pretty punitive in comparison. Set up the galaxy generator for lots of planets, and turn the difficulty low so you don't need to worry about other empires (which is what they did in the Reddit thread). Only put outposts on systems with planets, and use some variety of a machine empire for rapid specialized pop production. And pick your techs strictly according to the tier requirements so you can grab mega engineering precisely when you want it.

Well where's the fun when you don't have the AI trying to strangle you in the crib you when you're sitting there with 10 corvettes and no defensive stations to speak of.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I really want a way to bully your allies into abandoning claims or have a separate peace or something, I've got an ideology war basically won but the penalty to surrender because of "unoccupied claims" for ONE GODDAMN SYSTEM that my ally claimed that's unreachable because of ftl inhibitors is preventing the enemy from surrendering. arhoueaghaodfh

e: also the ideological war thing is really funny because you win it and then they're instantly massive friends with you. drat I guess it really does work

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arrath posted:

Well where's the fun when you don't have the AI trying to strangle you in the crib you when you're sitting there with 10 corvettes and no defensive stations to speak of.

Agreed. Though I can say that for the folks who just aren't interested in the combat mechanics, this would be an interesting economic challenge.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Has anyone made a mod that just adds a chance for Sol III to be uninhabited but have Titanic Life?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shugojin posted:

Has anyone made a mod that just adds a chance for Sol III to be uninhabited but have Titanic Life?

gently caress why is this not already in??

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was in a war against a 2 party federation to finish conquering one arm of the galaxy, most of my fleets busy with that when another Fed tried to blindside me. "Oh, no problem I'll just reposition my other two fleets from galactic nor-Hoo that sure is a 100k Fed Fleet they just rolled in towards my freshly taken FE worlds. :stare:"

That was actually a fun scramble to organize a defense (get some planetary shields going, fill out the citadels around those pristine FE worlds, crash build some armies in case I lose the space fight) and I manage to get my other fleets around and divert all their empire fleets into picemeal fights to get annihilated before pincering that massive Fed fleet between some corvette QRFs and my newly built deathball of 15 battleships and 15 more cruisers.

Then I turned around, devoured their entire federation and hit a domination victory. :buddy: Suck it.

Gotta love when you split a corvette fleet to go mop up an isolated arm and later hit the fleet manager "huh how did I lose so many ships *reinforce all* ...oh, poo poo"

In retrospect pretty cool that they tried to cut me down as I was nearing victory condition. I don't think they had a true power advantage, just fleets a little less dispersed.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 11, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kestral posted:

Yeah I tried the strat for fun and then swept up a couple of achievements with it, though not nearly as efficiently as they can do it. I was still able to start it in the 2280s/90s and that is still plenty good enough to stomp some nutsacks.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
I just got the Brain Slug (Goa'uld?) event, and it seems too good to be true... 10% to Research, 15% to Survey, & 15% to Anomaly...

As with most of the events in this game I find my self asking, when is the other shoe going to drop?

Is there a downside to my cute little pals the Brain Slugs? or am I looking a gift horse straight in the mouth?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Shugojin posted:

Jesus how does this not exist already

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Newbie question: how much should I expand?

Its my first game after the tutorial, fand initally I had to expand like crazy to find habitable planets (got some bad luck in this). Then I just kept going because, why not? There aint much else to do. Eventually I got bigger and stronger and more advanced than all players Ive met, but still a lot weaker than the 2 "fallen empires" Ive found (Im not sure if I understand what that is)

Now I realized its making traditions a lot more expensive (like 240% for colonies, 100% more for systems etc), but still I feel like Im missing out if I dont grab those sweet systems. Besides, I really dont have much else to do. Recently I got the traditikn to allow federations but no one wants to join me on one anyway :(

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Newbie question: how much should I expand?

Its my first game after the tutorial, fand initally I had to expand like crazy to find habitable planets (got some bad luck in this). Then I just kept going because, why not? There aint much else to do. Eventually I got bigger and stronger and more advanced than all players Ive met, but still a lot weaker than the 2 "fallen empires" Ive found (Im not sure if I understand what that is)

Now I realized its making traditions a lot more expensive (like 240% for colonies, 100% more for systems etc), but still I feel like Im missing out if I dont grab those sweet systems. Besides, I really dont have much else to do. Recently I got the traditikn to allow federations but no one wants to join me on one anyway :(

Try to expand so that you block off as much territory as you can. Space will be arranged in groups of stars with only a few ways in or out meaning it's really easy to grab a few systems to take control of loads without having to build a starbase on every single one of them immediately.

FEs will almost always be stronger than you until the end game. They'll stick to their space though, so as long as you don't anger them you should be fine. Later in the game you can take ascension perks that make you stronger against them and there are late game events that make them do more interesting things.

FEs are actually really good for blocking off space if you find them - you know that they won't expand and nobody is going to be able go go through their territory, so you can basically consider any space between them and your borders as good claimed much of the time.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 11, 2018

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Can end game crises actually destroy everyone if you set it to 5x strength or is their expansion scripted to halt at some point?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

bitterandtwisted posted:

Can end game crises actually destroy everyone if you set it to 5x strength or is their expansion scripted to halt at some point?

Crises can and will kill everything in the galaxy.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Crises can and will kill everything in the galaxy.

Neat. Gonna try a 5x crisis on for size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Got the Unbidden in my latest game, but they didn't actually ever do anything. Just sat with their 500k of fleet power in the corner of one system, hanging out. That's with multiple loads of the game from menu and desktop too.