Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's so hard to find favorites this early. Usually the real contenders pick up speed midgame as they're absorbing their lessons and getting inspired. The people who stand out early on tend to flame out. Think Reynold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reynold was a really big favourite though who went far and he came back and proved he's no fluke. I can think of a few others that didn't win, like Kylie, but still managed to do really well.

Do agree that a lot of the winners aren't necessarily big and flashy, however. Although I do like that we're getting less and less 'dessert-focused' people who feel the pressure to prove that they can cook savoury; basically the median of contestants are more well-rounded.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Well, it seems they've found a tolerable replacement to Jessica's hair.

Also, lol that they seem to be pumping Gordon as Marco's replacement. Matt Preston must still be livid about that while thing. It's best to keep the melodrama on the production side. Besides, if Gordon really is taking over the hardcore mentor week, I think he'll knock it out of the park, even if it's only to look better than Marco.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Update: Gordon Week is ON and it's really great so far. Anybody in here who watches his American bullshit should really give this week's episodes a shot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Apparently Masterchef starts tomorrow? :confuoot:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This season of Masterchef Canada has been pretty chill. The frontrunner is a snaggletoothed teenager who’s so charmingly not ‘made for TV’ :3:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Thank gently caress Ramsay has gone, man he ruined mchef this whole week with his fake drama bs. I don't know how anyone could stand a whole season of that

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What? I'm only on the team challenge, and that's a very small fraction of peak fuming Ramsay going ballistic.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Apparently Masterchef starts tomorrow? :confuoot:

The team concept & Aaron Sanchez being a regular judge again has me already skeptical before seeing whatever nonsense gimmick contestants will be driving me crazy.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Propaganda Machine posted:

What? I'm only on the team challenge, and that's a very small fraction of peak fuming Ramsay going ballistic.

i know he goes way harder on his other shows, but even this small amount really isn't enjoyable. Ground me gears on the immunity challenge night with his claps and cheers for the contestants when the chefs didn't do well or whatever. it was just melodramatic and playing up for the cameras which isn't what mchefAU is about imo.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I agree to an extent, and I didn't appreciate how he was messing with the professionals during the cook. Though his enthusiasm during judging was overstated and hammy to say the least, I read it as more genuine. Certainly better than bad, and again refreshing if you're used to his American bullshit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Haha Masterchef is taking emotional abuse to all new levels! :suspense:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Season over

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

The proof will be in the pudding!! Haha, Joe I get it! We see what you did there! It's a joke because it's pudding!! so punny!!

Scriptbot 5000 is working really hard at this dialogue, you guys.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I want Chloe to go away.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

busb posted:

i know he goes way harder on his other shows, but even this small amount really isn't enjoyable. Ground me gears on the immunity challenge night with his claps and cheers for the contestants when the chefs didn't do well or whatever. it was just melodramatic and playing up for the cameras which isn't what mchefAU is about imo.

Not sure what MC AU is about because it's completely daunting to an outsider with the sheer volume of episodes they put out

It's not the Australian-ness that sinks the show, it's more like Jesus I only have a few hours for TV a week, and that's for all shows, not just one.

American competitions are made out to be more cutthroat, and playing up the stakes (when they're more or less the same as the other editions of the show- I don't think any country would give a poo poo about the Coveted Cut Glass MasterChef Trophy :rolleye:)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

I want Chloe to go away.

What's wrong with Chloe? :swoon:
Apart from the Australian accent of course.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Australianness 'sinks' the show? The accents are 'bad'? :thunk:

V happy with the last two eliminations and surprised monotone Ben did so well

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

sauer kraut posted:

What's wrong with Chloe? :swoon:
Apart from the Australian accent of course.

She's this year's Jessica's Hair. She will fall into every pressure test (sinking any team she's on along the way), and then either one other person will do worse, or the judges will smoke crack and commend an atrocity like the minced beef Dan Dan. I'm scared she'll make top 5-10 this way.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

looks like the new show "24 Hours to Hell and Back" starts Wednesday. It sounds like another Kitchen Nightmares but maybe nicer? heh I guess we'll find out

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Is Masterchef Australia available on US streaming anywhere?

I’m running out of cooking shows to put on for background noise.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

looks like the new show "24 Hours to Hell and Back" starts Wednesday. It sounds like another Kitchen Nightmares but maybe nicer? heh I guess we'll find out

Looks like Nightmares with an arbitrary time limit to hold the budget down and keep the owners from getting cold feet over the course of a few days: just go in and bang-and-bail.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is Masterchef Australia available on US streaming anywhere?

I’m running out of cooking shows to put on for background noise.

PMing.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/GordonRamsay/status/1007033496836059136

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

:lol: He'll be back next season... :laugh:

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Looks like Nightmares with an arbitrary time limit to hold the budget down and keep the owners from getting cold feet over the course of a few days: just go in and bang-and-bail.

They're underselling the best part of this: putting Gordon Ramsay in completely ridiculous disguises.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

And a terrible new show name to go with the terrible new decor they gave that Italian restaurant. Ramsey in disguise was pretty funny though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Gordon did a bunch of disguises in The F Word and it was never not ridiculous/funny. Supercut: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjown7Lp0hY

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
New show was fun, but Vinny was such a whiny man-baby that I half hope the restaurant fails. I hope we get more disgusting kitchens and less of Ramsay as amateur family therapist, which made some of the later Kitchen Nightmares episodes a slog.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh don’t worry they all fail cause the problems are systemic and can’t be fixed within a week.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Not a fan of last night's mchef AU elimination... i think the lovely batter deserved to be the losing point.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Hijinks Ensue posted:

New show was fun, but Vinny was such a whiny man-baby that I half hope the restaurant fails. I hope we get more disgusting kitchens and less of Ramsay as amateur family therapist, which made some of the later Kitchen Nightmares episodes a slog.
Ymmv but I think that's the only aspect that's interesting. Otherwise it's just the world's most formulaic program. Did you know you should have a small seasonal menu based on local food??? And be clean and nice to customers???

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

busb posted:

Not a fan of last night's mchef AU elimination... i think the lovely batter deserved to be the losing point.

But it tasted fine. The eliminated dish had an array of clashing flavors.

Don't get me wrong. I would have been perfectly fine if Jess had gone, but slightly runny batter was the lesser sin.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is that place even still around? I thought the husband got deported or thrown in prison or something.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"Chelsea, i haven't given up hope and neither should you."

"...We're out of chicken."

:laffo:

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
One thing I don't get about the restaurant refirb, like hours before opening --- wouldn't it still smell like paint?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Tonight mchef was hilarious. Genevieve made ... Another lemon meringue pie haha. Laughed so hard. It's like her 3rd or 4th

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Shneak posted:

"Chelsea, i haven't given up hope and neither should you."

"...We're out of chicken."

:laffo:

I had a hearty laugh out of that as well. But drat, how did Derrick eff up that many chickens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What's weird is that before the comp the judges were talking about how they would need to bake the chicken to make sure its done, but during the comp undercooked chicken can't be saved.