Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inco posted:

The instant Howard mentioned player-controlled nuclear weapons, I was out. I already was on the fence since having to deal with other people loving with me on the reg is super unappealing to me in the same way that the invasions in Dark Souls are because it's just more bullshit to have to deal with. Now that I know that they can drop nukes just about anywhere, I'm done. I don't need to be working on my own stuff when all of it can be reduced to radioactive ash at any time.

It's not like that's any worse than a bunch of dudes with rocket launchers blowing up your stuff. Frankly it's surprising to me that the multiplayer survival genre hadn't reached this point already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Devolver completely hosed up with that tagline because when CHUDs are rushing to defend you you know you screwed up somewhere.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Every time someone mentions Fallout 76, I instinctively read it first as Interstate '76 and a little blip of hope hits me before my brain auto corrects then I get sad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, Devolver completely hosed up with that tagline because when CHUDs are rushing to defend you you know you screwed up somewhere.

Honestly I kinda don't mind it? Like, it makes sense, the game is basically about Good Trump fighting Dick Cheney in giant robots so a Trump joke actually fits for once.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would say it's still in pretty bad taste but if ever there was a game for that phrase to be appropriate it'd sure as hell be Metal Wolf Chaos.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I guess it's kind of cringey and somewhat lazy, though not as cringey as XD, but how is it in bad taste?

Also, Prey Mooncrash DLC is available now.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 11, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Some people are actually getting brutalized by Trump's fash MAGA poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Blattdorf posted:

I guess it's kind of cringey and somewhat lazy, though not as cringey as XD, but how is it in bad taste?
Because its tying Trump and his fascist bullshit with a game that was like the apex of Japan's light-hearted and goofy cultural takes of America, its pretty tone-deaf.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only thing better than the Metal Wolf Chaos announcement, are the comments over tying a make America great again slogan from a Bill Clinton speech in 1992, to a game where another President makes America great. :fsmug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like they're going to be able to avoid the comparisons, so they might as well try to get out in front of it.

Inco posted:

The instant Howard mentioned player-controlled nuclear weapons, I was out. I already was on the fence since having to deal with other people loving with me on the reg is super unappealing to me in the same way that the invasions in Dark Souls are because it's just more bullshit to have to deal with. Now that I know that they can drop nukes just about anywhere, I'm done. I don't need to be working on my own stuff when all of it can be reduced to radioactive ash at any time.

The Fat Man is a thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Accordion Man posted:

Because its tying Trump and his fascist bullshit with a game that was like the apex of Japan's light-hearted and goofy cultural takes of America, its pretty tone-deaf.

Its not the nuanced take we feel entitled to expect from metal wolf chaos

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Didn't realize it had a store page already: https://store.steampowered.com/app/820630/Metal_Wolf_Chaos_XD/

Dragged that bad boy to #1.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I mean if there was ever a President that I would think would have a giant mech built, it would be Trump.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

LOL TRUMP!

*dashes back to CSPAM*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still playing Pillars of Eternity's dlc. It's pretty good but the game mechanics keep butting into the narrative they're trying to do?

"poo poo, you've got to hurry, they're on their way to murder everyone!"
"I'm on my way!"

*pulls up the map*
*It will take your party 2 days, 12 hours to reach the destination*

I know it doesnt actually mean anything mechanically, it just doesnt feel like anyone's in a rush when you put stuff like that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So anyone try out the Prey DLC yet? Roguelike Prey is a...unique take on it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

GrandpaPants posted:

So anyone try out the Prey DLC yet? Roguelike Prey is a...unique take on it.

It still has that Prey feel. I'm not especially far into it, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/1006039959600549889

Well Prey's on the wishlist now that I have a laptop that can run it. :getin:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/1006039959600549889

Well Prey's on the wishlist now that I have a laptop that can run it. :getin:

Prey was my GOTY, I hope you enjoy it. I bought the DLC last night and will reinstall once I get my new laptop too. This all looks great and will definitely get me to run the game a few more times.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ziggurat is free on GoG - https://www.gog.com/game/ziggurat

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Yogscast and GoG are doing a summer giveaway

https://gleam.io/YdP4v/yogscast-suumergaming-giveaway-day-1

I just got Owlboy off of it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Scott Forstall posted:

Prey was my GOTY, I hope you enjoy it. I bought the DLC last night and will reinstall once I get my new laptop too. This all looks great and will definitely get me to run the game a few more times.

Same, can't wait to play some more Prey!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Prey is so good, goddamnit. You think the game won't live up to that opening sequence, but it loving does.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

I got Serial Cleaner, which looks like a cross between Viscera Cleanup Detail and Hotline Miami or something? Definitely going to try it out.

If you already have accounts with GOG and Twitch this takes 15 seconds and like 3 clicks, it's well worth it for a free game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Irritated Goat posted:

I got Planet Nomads but I don't want it.

LM65A93602B0A106E0

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
excusi the double post

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
AF6WD7F92F7F204758

I got Oxenfree but I already had it!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Irritated Goat posted:

Got Vampire the Masque, which is fine because even through I got it on Steam, I wouldn't mind having it over on GoG as well.

Azran posted:

AF6WD7F92F7F204758

I got Oxenfree but I already had it!

Thank you, I got this.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Irritated Goat posted:

Got Grim Fandango, which I already had.

M67KEDEC593955F8AD

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The Kins posted:

Using GOG for non-old games isn't necessarily a good idea, games tend to either miss features or vital patches for some reason or another.

I've seen this list posted before, and it really makes me wonder what the reason for this is? Is there a large amount of effort involved in publishing a patch to GoG? Do they charge for it? It just seems like the amount of effort to upload a patch to GoG should be worth it compared to the effort to actually code, test AND upload a patch to Steam, even if the GoG userbase is much smaller. Also, you avoid bad press like this and it's just the decent thing to do. If it's truly too much to do every patch you can at least do major/final releases instead of nothing after the initial release. So, why?

I guess at least the missing multiplayer ones might be explained by them using Steam-specific libraries to implement it. Or Steamworks for level editing/sharing. But some games have long since fixed glaring bugs that exist in the only version ever made for GoG. In single player games without any Steam specific features.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I suppose you could get this one through that GOG giveaway (I got the original Unreal Tournament!) but even if luck doesn't favor you, it's $2 in their summer sale and it's definitely at least that fun for a classic shooter.

:jihad:FPSummer :jihad:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum

11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death

It can be easy to forget now but every generation of first-person shooters spawned dozens if not hundreds of titles. Names like Quake and Half-life remain ubiquitous while oddballs like Star Trek: Elite Force and KISS: Psycho Circus are all but lost to the march of history. Among the many licensed FPSes of that particular era was Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death, a game I wasn’t even aware of until a decade after its release. It can be hard to return to older games without the benefit of familiarity but Dredd is accessible and unique enough to jump into even now, despite its many weaknesses. I wouldn’t call it a lost classic but it’s definitely a lost title that deserves to be rediscovered.

Everyone should be familiar with Judge Dredd (hopefully by way of the comics or the excellent 2012 Karl Urban film) but I will suspend my disappointment and assume you are not, you uncultured cur. Order in the wild, dystopian Mega-City One is maintained by the Judges, heavily-armed law enforcement officials with the power to arrest, convict, sentence, and execute criminals on the spot. Among the greatest Judges is Joe Dredd, a man who exists solely for the purpose of dispensing justice. Dredd vs Death details a period where Mega-City One is gripped by a plague of vampires and zombies, eventually leading Dredd to a confrontation with the otherworldly Dark Judges.

Translating the jackbooted Dredd to the medium of video games is as simple as giving the player a gun and hundreds of criminals to execute, but Rebellion cleverly took things several steps beyond. Throughout the story campaign you will encounter criminals of all shapes and sizes, some armed and some not. You have a dedicated button for challenging perps to drop their weapons and submit, and if they do you can sentence them to prison (complete with pop-up text of their identity, crime, and sentence). Those that resist can of course be executed, or if you want to get fancy you can disarm them by shooting their weapon out of their hand, which makes them much more likely to submit. Arrests affect your stage score and also keep your justice meter aloft, which can end your game if you let too many suspects skate free or kill too many civilians.

It’s a fun little diversion that does a lot to break up the action of larger levels, an important task because the core shooting is not all that great. Dredd has his signature pistol, the Lawgiver, which uses universal ammo in different amounts to fire special bullets like heat-seekers and ricochets. However, enemies have extremely simple AI and are weak enough to the Lawgiver’s standard rapid-fire that there’s little use in switching ammo. You can also appropriate weapons from enemies, but these are standard shotguns and rifles for the most part and you can only carry one extra weapon at a time. Some levels can pit you against foes in close quarters, requiring fancy footwork and quick reflexes, those these situations are mostly exceptions to the rule.

The eleven levels that compose the campaign are colorful, varied, and do an excellent job of conveying the scale of Mega-City One. Buildings and plazas can be enormous, garish, and decrepit depending on the district, and routine trips to penitentiaries and shopping malls can lead to chains of objectives through chaotic shootouts. The grand scale isn’t great for level flow though, leaving plenty of long stretches of nothing to traverse. There’s also nothing to really seek out in levels aside from health kits, which are essential to keeping your static health in check if enemies keep chipping away at you.

You’ll get three to four hours of justice from the campaign, presented in the thick geometry and rough textures of the time. The game also offers several Arcade scenarios where you gun down targets as fast as possible, and a fine little multiplayer mode complete with bots if you can’t cajole any humans into playing with you. There’s not quite enough depth to Dredd vs Death to call it great, but I’ve had a grand time cuffing perps and blasting vampires. The next time you’re in the mood for some retro shooting, consider becoming the law for a change of pace and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is Elder Scrolls Online good if I like Elder Scrolls and MMOs in general? Is the subscription necessary, and if it's a good game which "package" should I get?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr E posted:

Is Elder Scrolls Online good if I like Elder Scrolls and MMOs in general? Is the subscription necessary, and if it's a good game which "package" should I get?

no sub necessary it very much feels like an MMO

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I got ripped off. Someone enjoy Prison Architect

RDPN18479F696B2314

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Luisfe posted:

Got Grim Fandango, which I already had.

M67KEDEC593955F8AD

cheers for this. I always wanted to play Grim Fandango.

I also tried the Yogcast give away and got Witcher 2. Which is nice since I didn't have it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mr E posted:

IMO it is not a good game. I tried it with friends and bounced off pretty hard after ~30 hours. It's dated in pretty much every way.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
How's the steam port of Killer Instinct? Is it missing anything from the console version?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mr E posted:

I like it, although I can't speak much for the actual endgame. Questing basically feels like playing regular old TES except there's more of it - quality is more varied, some much better, some much worse. I don't care much for the combat but TES and MMOs generally don't have fantastic combat anyhow. The solo dungeons are more interesting than the endless copy-pasted bandit lairs of Skyrim, and the group ones are fun. The goon guild is good, and I've also had pretty reasonable experiences grouping with pubbies.

The sub definitely isn't necessary to start out. It does become very useful if you want to get into crafting because it gives you an extra crafting storage, otherwise your regular inventory fills up super fast. it also gives you free access to some of the DLC (not the big ones) so if you just wanted to play through the quests once it would be much cheaper to buy it for a month or two than get the DLCs with esobux. It's playable fine without the sub but I'd say it's worth it if you're willing to part with the money.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Figured it's worth pointing out that Red Faction Guerilla is currently on sale and like five bucks.

Owners of the original game are supposed to get the upcoming remaster for free so it's a good chance to save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Is Two Worlds 2 a good buy? It’s on sale, I’d enjoy a good action RPG. Mostly looking for fun kinetic combat, not story.