Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Joose Caboose posted:

I know how much everyone wants more Rupert on their tv so you're all in luck! Him and his wife are on the new season of Amazing Race :gonk:

New season just started filming and sounds like it's 5 TAR teams, 3 BB teams, and 3 Survivor teams. Of course all three Survivor teams are terrible - others are Eliza/Corrine and Chris/Bret (from MvGX - why??)

Chris/Bret are a fun pair. They've been doing a lot of bro stuff together since their season ended and apparently have a pretty great friendship.

Eliza/Corinne is the sass team and I love it.

Rupert is their big name and that's fine. I don't mind seeing him doing something not-survivor related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Joose Caboose posted:

I know how much everyone wants more Rupert on their tv so you're all in luck! Him and his wife are on the new season of Amazing Race :gonk:

New season just started filming and sounds like it's 5 TAR teams, 3 BB teams, and 3 Survivor teams. Of course all three Survivor teams are terrible - others are Eliza/Corrine and Chris/Bret (from MvGX - why??)

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/06/amazing-race-season-31-teams/
that Eliza and Corinne team seems kind of out of nowhere but should be a fun team. Chris/Bret is great. and honestly it might be fun to see Rupert in a non-Survivor game, like I'm way happier seeing him on TAR than on Survivor. Maybe as a side benefit CBS can get twitter to give the poor guy a password reset.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

Looking at the cast from celebrity Big Brother, this isn't that far off.

Like you wouldn't want to see Omarosa suffer on an island and fall off of obstacles before being voted out for being uncontrollably obnoxious

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

that Eliza and Corinne team seems kind of out of nowhere but should be a fun team.

I've been listening to Corinne's past few Podcasts. Apparently her and Eliza are good friends.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They're both attention whores, so at least this sates their thirst to be surrounded by cameras and keeps them away from Survivor.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Joose Caboose posted:

new season of Amazing Race

:five:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Looking forward to the Hawaii leg, where Corinne can proudly talk about her lei.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm watching season 5 of Survivor South Africa...

They're allowed to steal someone's idol and then vote them out :wave:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Bahahahaha

...how does that even work

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The rest of the tribe just went through their bag and had a brief little fight over who got the idol. When they realized their idol was gone they were like "well obviously someone has taken it" and everyone just acted offended and clueless.

At tribal council they even talked about how there's no rule you can't steal someones hidden immunity idol :crossarms:

Pretty fuckin ruthless, I dunno if I'd recommend it yet... it's been kind of interesting- each team has an assigned leader that can't vote or be voted out and they have special responsibilities in certain challenges

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That sounds like it could be cool, but probably could have used some more playtesting, however the hell you do that on Survivor. Honestly though, some of those twists are much better than ours and could be great if deployed correctly.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I watched a couple.epusodes of the South Africa one and couldn't get into it. The host is super lovely and everything has this dimestore survivor vibe to it which is unappealing. The Aus and NZ versions are really good though.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I finished season 5 of survivor south Africa tonight, and yeah I probably wouldn't recommend it.
I don't think it was bad but I was never really rooting for anyone, some of the differences were interesting and I'm still not sure how I feel about all the idol stealing that went on...

I wouldn't steer anyone away either tho, it's worth watching if you're bored, really love survivor and you're okay with some strong south African accents

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Although it suffers from the same late game problems as Survivor Australia. Survivor NZ is pretty drat good and without all the stupid twists that have plagued US Survivor lately.

Also the final 6 vote... Dude gets carried by his high school best friend the whole game, then votes him out over not being told about an idol...

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Survivor NZ has one episode left and it looks like it's gonna be pretty interesting, I don't have any idea who's going to win because it's really hard to tell how the jury is judging them.
I'm glad Dave's secret is out too, it's not very fair to make it to final 3 without the jury knowing they had a longtime friend helping them through the game. Should make the jury questioning pretty dramatic

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I have a mate who was on season 1 of nz survivor last year. she was voted out first because she listened to hundreds of hours of survivor podcasts beforehand and was super intense about it all lol. i'm definitely applying for season 3 of nz survivor and reckon i have a pretty good shot at getting cast.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah her name was Dee wasn't it? She seemed like the most interesting person of the first season to be honest

Season 2 of Survivor NZ just ended by the way, I'm pretty happy with how the jury voted and overall it was an entertaining season. They didn't make any talk of a season 3 during the reunion but I hope there's one in the works

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 29, 2018

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Australian Survivor starts up again soon. They've even brought out someone from the US version to compete this season. It's Russell Hantz.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Andrew_1985 posted:

Australian Survivor starts up again soon. They've even brought out someone from the US version to compete this season. It's Russell Hantz.

If only Sandra was cast as well

I think this season is gunna be a beautiful train wreck

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Australian Survivor theme is "Contenders vs Champions." Shouldn't Russell be in the Contenders tribe instead of the Champions? :)

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Fast Luck posted:

Australian Survivor theme is "Contenders vs Champions." Shouldn't Russell be in the Contenders tribe instead of the Champions? :)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Fast Luck posted:

I don’t even LIKE American Survivor

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
NZ was pretty good, straightforward season.

Is Russell going to go around the world entering every international version of Survivor until eventually he
accepts that no group of people who know him will ever let him have any
wins?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I thought NZ S2 was a really good season and much better than NZ S1 (which is probably in the running as my least favorite Survivor season). As a word of warning for anyone starting to watch it now: the pre-merge is pretty rough at times but the post-merge is where things start getting really great. I do wish they would cut the episodes down from ~66 minutes to ~44 minutes; I always said I'd love a regularly extended runtime for Survivor but these international versions are really causing me to second-guess that. That might also be a side effect of the NZ version casting more "normal" people rather than kooky characters on screen though; when AU S2 ran longer it was much more bearable since the cast on AU usually pops more and feels like the US version.

Speaking of casting, I do think got NZ S2 dodged a bullet with how things played out. It seemed like they made a big deal going into the season that they were casting more people ready to play the game than S1 but I think really only ~6 people were ready to play (Kaysha, Dylan, JT, Matt, Adam, and Lisa) and the show got really lucky that 3 of those 6 went deep into the game. 6 game-players is still not really enough to guarantee a good season and it's easy to imagine an alternate universe where those 6 all go in the first half of episodes and then they have another S1 on their hands. Of course, me saying the show "got lucky" might be sort of underselling just how good those three (especially ____Lisa_______) were at the game.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I made a thread for AU Survivor S5: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864804

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Added to OP.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you need any other reason to watch Survivor Australia, the host straight up asked Russell Hantz, "What makes you a champion?" While introducing the tribes... Also somebody called the host Jeff at tribal before correcting themselves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Survivor: David vs Goliath starts next month on September 26th! Unless someone else is super excited to make a thread, I'll post one a week before with the usual stuff.

Looking for thread titles, maybe a new thread icon? I kind of just wing it based on whats in my bookmarks so it stands out slightly more easily.

Perhaps someone could make a vanity thread icon a mod will implement for us. I've given it a shot a couple times but I've yet to put together one I'm proud of. If we do get one, I think we have a good argument for an admin to implement it. We have multiple threads from different country's Survivor that could use it.

edit: Here's some more attempts:

brightened

sharpened

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 25, 2018

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I'm watching Panama for the first time. Why didn't they ever do this outcast tribe thing again? This is cool

Also what did they put in place to prevent this Osten bullshit from repeating?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Confused me for a moment there. Survivor Panama is season 12. You're describing Pearl Islands, season 7, filmed in Panama.

People don't appreciate that voting someone out isn't their end in the game. The same reason people don't like Redemption Island. However, I think Redemption Island would work in a full fresh cast Blood vs Water season. I don't think it works with a mix of returnee and new players because the returnees are just going to do better no matter what. But let's be honest, Redemption Island only exists to give returnees an extra chance.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

AdmiralViscen posted:

I'm watching Panama for the first time. Why didn't they ever do this outcast tribe thing again? This is cool

Also what did they put in place to prevent this Osten bullshit from repeating?

I think the thoughts on the Outcasts is that it fit the theme of Pearl Islands and is part of what makes the season so good, but was unfair to the players in the game who were unaware of it (Savage and how he treated Lil) and there was controversy over what was meant by the "meager supplies" given to the outcasts. Redemption Island was the attempt to make a more fair version of it by informing the players about it beforehand, but similarly had a negative reaction as it diminishes the impact of a player being voted out and has only featured on seasons with returning players.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty posted:

Survivor: David vs Goliath starts next month on September 26th! Unless someone else is super excited to make a thread, I'll post one a week before with the usual stuff.

Looking for thread titles, maybe a new thread icon? I kind of just wing it based on whats in my bookmarks so it stands out slightly more easily.

Perhaps someone could make a vanity thread icon a mod will implement for us. I've given it a shot a couple times but I've yet to put together one I'm proud of. If we do get one, I think we have a good argument for an admin to implement it. We have multiple threads from different country's Survivor that could use it.

edit: Here's some more attempts:

brightened

sharpened

what doofus made the thread icon for THIS thread anything but ????

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I sent a request in for it.

Also please change my name to Survivor Thread Doofus

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
While we wait for the new thread, apparently something interesting happened in an AMA with Kellyn: the extra vote is supposed to persist through a tie, so in the Michael-Laurel tie vote, she was eligible to vote twice... and she just forgot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's kind of interesting that the Survivor Australia theme is Champions Vs. Contenders and the new season of US is David Vs Goliath... Kind of like the US is actually the inferior theme.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shoulda called it Freaks vs Geeks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Posting in support for season Growers vs Showers

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Has the US S37 thread been created yet? The premiere is coming up awful quick

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AWarmBody posted:

Has the US S37 thread been created yet? The premiere is coming up awful quick
The S37 thread is busy maturing on Ghost Island atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'll post it next week.

• Locked thread