Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Games are already being designed around lag to a certain degree due to digital display fuckery. PS Now works well if your internet is good and you're fully wired in, but it definitely goes to hell in a hurry if you start creating interference or have a bad internet connection.

I can see the merit in the idea that the next gen could be the last one, if for no other reason than we're running out of ways for technology to meaningfully improve gaming.

Now they thinking up ways to ruin it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Dying Light was fun, but I bounced off it pretty hard when it started having night-only missions. The pacing of the night stuff was really lovely and it was hard to see anything with that vision overlay they had. I just got tired of getting buttraped by the night zombies when I was trying to focus on a mission or whatever. Unless Dying Light 2 improves that somehow (which I doubt) it's a hard pass, for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Finster Dexter posted:

Dying Light was fun, but I bounced off it pretty hard when it started having night-only missions. The pacing of the night stuff was really lovely and it was hard to see anything with that vision overlay they had. I just got tired of getting buttraped by the night zombies when I was trying to focus on a mission or whatever. Unless Dying Light 2 improves that somehow (which I doubt) it's a hard pass, for me.

The filter was really dumb i agree but the secret to dl is to wait for night and just repeatedly do the same stunt over and over because xp is tripled in the dark and after like 20 mins no zombie can ever hurt you except when the game spawns an exploder in a hazmat suit gently caress you game.

Also yeah the campaign in dl1 sucked so hopefully they fix it. The bizarre shift from modern turkey to fantasy future europe is definitely a big shake up

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Run faster/climb higher than the night zombies. Get to a safezone and don't be so loud when you go back out.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

the secret to dl is to wait for night and just repeatedly do the same stunt over and over because xp is tripled in the dark and after like 20 mins no zombie can ever hurt you except when the game spawns an exploder in a hazmat suit gently caress you game.

That is really bad game design, imo, and I don't see myself going back to it at this point.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

lmao who is going to be playing DL2 anyway once Battletoads is out

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Avalanche is kind of a bad studio, Rage was a bad game and reportedly Rage 2 started out as a bad Mad Max game that no one wanted so they rebranded it Rage 2. Not optimistic on that one.

Also if you put the talking Andrew WK mutant billy bass thing up anywhere you will instantly die of virginity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just Cause 2 was good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Just Cause 2 is good in the EDF sense. It's got a couple of great ideas and a few really well done systems and then everyone said welp, that's a wrap! and let their dogs code the rest.

They're the great b-movies of games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Just Cause 2 essentially made the lovely third person shooter grafted to it that serves as its "campaign" optional and was really just about loving around in the sandbox they built. You'd think all the freeroamer devs would do that as it's kind of a no brainier for that genre, but

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just cause 2 was the best gta-ish open world game since san andreas, and a better game of that type has not come out since. it was absolutely fuckin fantastic for just blindly loving about. sometimes i'd go on hours-long roadtrips, sometimes i'd see what kind of idiocy i could get up to tethering carious vehicles together, sometimes i'd try hijacking airplanes from other airplanes.

maybe it could've used a better campaign structure, and i do wish that blowing up military installations lessened the military's ability to deal with you because losing them was so irritating, but for just random pointless fun it's still unparalleled. shame that jc3 was...poor. avalanche did say they know what they got wrong in jc3 though so i'm (very cautiously) optimistic that jc4 will be good.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 11, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im skipping jc4 unless reviews say its actually different.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

just cause 2 was the best gta-ish open world game since san andreas, and a better game of that type has not come out since. it was absolutely fuckin fantastic for just blindly loving about. sometimes i'd go on hours-long roadtrips, sometimes i'd see what kind of idiocy i could get up to tethering carious vehicles together, sometimes i'd try hijacking airplanes from other airplanes.

maybe it could've used a better campaign structure, and i do wish that blowing up military installations lessened the military's ability to deal with you because losing them was so irritating, but for just random pointless fun it's still unparalleled. shame that jc3 was...poor. avalanche did say they know what they got wrong in jc3 though so i'm (very cautiously) optimistic that jc4 will be good.

Me and my friends would spend hours smoking weed and doing all kinds of poo poo in jc2. Towing every kind of vehicle behind every kind of plane, jumping the speedboats, tethering the AI controlled "737s" by the airport to the ground as they take off, towing cars behind AI planes, the ski slope, the peak, the unmarked huge dirt track out in the desert, the bayou with speedboats....man jc3 sucked so bad compared to jc2. Hope they learned their lesson and not make it a singleplayer grind and chore to unlock the fun stuff.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Real hurthling! posted:

Im skipping jc4 unless reviews say its actually different.

just lol @ anyone who doesn't wait for reviews to come out before buying any game

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Not an Xbone X question but an Xbone S question:

Because I clearly can be easily swayed by an E3 presentation showing Gears 5 and Halo 6, I've decided that I need to get me an Xbone (again). Sold my launch model a while back, but I don't have a 4k TV and honestly I just won a PS4 Pro so 99% of the cross-platform titles I'll get there.

A buddy of mine works for Gamestop and is going to swap some of my older games + my OG PS4 in for credit using her discount and I can get a Bone S pretty much even across the board. Question is, which one do I get?

My options, limited as they are:

Used 500GB S (no games)
New 500GB S (no games)
New 1TB Sea of Thieves (physical, might dump the copy of the game as it doesn't look like it's my cup of tea? But I could try it on GamePass anyhow)
New 1TB PUBG (digital; looks like PUBG still runs like rear end?)

I'm thinking the SoT bundle is probably my best shot here. Trying not to spend any money out of pocket because I'm saving for my wedding next year, so being able to trade across the board for this is nice. Any additional thoughts?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

Not an Xbone X question but an Xbone S question:

Because I clearly can be easily swayed by an E3 presentation showing Gears 5 and Halo 6, I've decided that I need to get me an Xbone (again). Sold my launch model a while back, but I don't have a 4k TV and honestly I just won a PS4 Pro so 99% of the cross-platform titles I'll get there.

A buddy of mine works for Gamestop and is going to swap some of my older games + my OG PS4 in for credit using her discount and I can get a Bone S pretty much even across the board. Question is, which one do I get?

My options, limited as they are:

Used 500GB S (no games)
New 500GB S (no games)
New 1TB Sea of Thieves (physical, might dump the copy of the game as it doesn't look like it's my cup of tea? But I could try it on GamePass anyhow)
New 1TB PUBG (digital; looks like PUBG still runs like rear end?)

I'm thinking the SoT bundle is probably my best shot here. Trying not to spend any money out of pocket because I'm saving for my wedding next year, so being able to trade across the board for this is nice. Any additional thoughts?

Why don't you just wait until that poo poo actually comes out to even start thinking about this?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

The next Halo and Gears games won't be out til next year at the earliest. Ask yourself why you sold your original Xbox and what you're going to do with one between now and then?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

just lol @ anyone who doesn't wait for reviews to come out before buying any game

There are lots of games i know i want as soon as they are announced because of the consistent quality of the dev. Yakuza games for instance

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Amazon has codes for 6 months of game pass for half off ($30)

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Game-Pass-Membership-Digital/dp/B07BKXDW67

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

There are lots of games i know i want as soon as they are announced because of the consistent quality of the dev. Yakuza games for instance

Or, conversely, Rare games, which are always poo poo.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Honestly? Play Gears 4, actually play the campaign of Halo 5 instead of just the MP which I disliked a lot, finally get around to playing Halo Wars / Halo Wars 2, and was gonna grab a copy of Red Dead Redemption 1 so I could actually play through it before 2 comes out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mung Dynasty posted:

The next Halo and Gears games won't be out til next year at the earliest. Ask yourself why you sold your original Xbox and what you're going to do with one between now and then?

Speaking of which, it is no bueno how they still have never shown any crackdown mp footage.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

Speaking of which, it is no bueno how they still have never shown any crackdown mp footage.

They're developing Microsoft AI to have buildings collapse in real-time from the cloud, have some patience.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tensokuu posted:

Honestly? Play Gears 4, actually play the campaign of Halo 5 instead of just the MP which I disliked a lot, finally get around to playing Halo Wars / Halo Wars 2, and was gonna grab a copy of Red Dead Redemption 1 so I could actually play through it before 2 comes out.

I just beat gears 4 and its real bland with constantly wisecracking kid protag so lame they made his girlfriend the new mc in the next one.

Halo 5's campaign is considered the worst numbered campaign so far afaik

Rdr is good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Healbot posted:

They're developing Microsoft AI to have buildings collapse in real-time from the cloud, have some patience.

Remember when Red Faction Guerilla did this on everyone's 360

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Platinum skipping xbox with their next game at launch too.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

Gears 4 is kinda boring and you got your poo poo twisted if you didn't like the MP for Halo 5 but think you'll like the campaign (the MP is the best it's been since 1, the campaign is the worst it's been since 1).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just noticed Forza Horizon 4 is based in the UK. That is unexpected after literally everyone thought Japan for some reason.

E3 did nothing for my interest levels. Everything just looked like its previous sequels besides Fallout 76 I guess, but online co-op gets a big "meh" from me. I guess that'll be Anthem and Division 2's competition after Destiny 2 committed suicide.

Cyberpunk was interesting but also disappointing because it's still so far away.

Also firmly on the "Battletoads was always garbage" train. My friend and I were so annoyed by that game in the early 90s.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They thought japan cause there was some portfolio art from a prominent support studio floating around the web of a car with pagodas in the background and people used it in their fake rumor stuff

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao who is going to be playing DL2 anyway once Battletoads is out

Boy, you're really excited about that logo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd be curious to know what sidescroller beat em ups someone who didn't like Battletoads was into. Like every good thing about the genre showed up way early in that game.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd be curious to know what sidescroller beat em ups someone who didn't like Battletoads was into. Like every good thing about the genre showed up way early in that game.

Did it have trashcan chicken?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't think so, but life flies that instigate pvp violence are at least as good.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
No trashcan chicken, no sale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Only the first few levels were a beat em up on nes. Its way more a platformer after the jet bike level

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

New Rare is not old Rare.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RBX posted:

New Rare is not old Rare.

True, Rare hasn't been good for at least 3 generations of consoles.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

Only the first few levels were a beat em up on nes. Its way more a platformer after the jet bike level

Hmmmmm, yeah. Pretty sure I only beat the game once but those first few levels are so good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beastie posted:

I'll pass on Division 2, I personally would like to see what they can do with Ghost Recon Wildlands 2.

The MMO-ness of Division 1 sort of turned me off. I haven't been back to it since I gave it up three months after launch, maybe it's changed.

Dying Light 2 is going to rule.

Halo, who really cares right now? Same for Gears 5.

Never been a DMC fan. I think that one samurai game looks rad but I suck at Souls games.

Rage 2 is going to own so drat hard.

The division at launch is not the division now. It’s almost a completely different game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hows the port of republic commando? I liked the pc version in like 2003