Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

HunterDevourer posted:

Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rda4BlGhsvc I concentrate on ensuring you've trapped their arm over the elbow. If your grip on the trapping arm is too shallow (i.e. on the forearm) it'll be harder to roll them. Probably still possible, but less reliable - can usually use this if your opponent sticks their arm too far in.

The roll should feel pretty natural, you're just rolling over your should but pulling your opponent with you via the elbow control. Keep the movement going and you'll end up on top in a sort of reverse kesa gatame.

Ah yes - that's exactly it. Thanks.

CommonShore posted:

Note your experience though, as it should be telling you something: that escape/reversal isn't reliable against experienced opponents. It's something we teach to judo kids to help them start to understand the concept of a reversal or fighting out of turtle, but few people get caught by it more than two or three times ever.

That's a really good point. I've missed the past few times we've had "turtle week" and that's the only one I can remember from when I was starting so I will be on the lookout for better applicable escapes/reversals (and in the meantime am trying not to end up there in the first place)

Thanks both of you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Note your experience though, as it should be telling you something: that escape/reversal isn't reliable against experienced opponents.

A lot of the simple moves, Kimuras, Armbars, Etc have a wave of effectiveness. You learn it, doesn't really work because literally everyone in your gym knows what it is and how to deal, you get a bit better with it and start catching opponents with it, they get a bit wise, it starts to suck again, you adjust it and it gets better and starts working again. Ad-Nauseum.

I catch skilled people with the turtle roll out thing every now and again if I hosed up enough to give them side turtle with a hook, and even if I gently caress up I land in bottom side control. Which is a way better position to try to fight out of against fast dudes.

edit: If you like a move you can totally hone it to such a degree that it'll work on more than enough people regardless of rareness or complexity.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 7, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Ah yes - that's exactly it. Thanks.

That's a really good point. I've missed the past few times we've had "turtle week" and that's the only one I can remember from when I was starting so I will be on the lookout for better applicable escapes/reversals (and in the meantime am trying not to end up there in the first place)

Thanks both of you guys.

I get my coaches/mentors to give me "assignments" which I carry out for 4-6 weeks of training. My September/October assignment was "start every roll from turtle." The most reliable move I found from the back and side positions was to slide into half-guard or knee shield - but the caveat there is that bottom half is one of my better positions. The most reliable moves from front headlock were either to sit out, or to kinda fold myself back into full guard or butterfly, depending on how my attacker was controlling my upper body.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

A lot of the simple moves, Kimuras, Armbars, Etc have a wave of effectiveness. You learn it, doesn't really work because literally everyone in your gym knows what it is and how to deal, you get a bit better with it and start catching opponents with it, they get a bit wise, it starts to suck again, you adjust it and it gets better and starts working again. Ad-Nauseum.

This is something I've noticed but never been able to put words to. Just this past week I've managed to armbar more people than I did in the previous 6 months combined. But now everyone knows that ezekiels exist and I haven't hit one in over 2 weeks when it used to be the thing that worked every day.

Of course there was also the one weird week where I caught like 5 omoplatas and have never before or since been able to do one successfully.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

If you like a move you can totally hone it to such a degree that it'll work on more than enough people regardless of rareness or complexity.

Yeah. What I really admire is the guys who can call a real basic move or submission and then make it happen despite all efforts to defend because they have gotten it down so solid.

CommonShore posted:

I get my coaches/mentors to give me "assignments" which I carry out for 4-6 weeks of training.

Awesome idea. How far along in your training were you when you started asking for the assignments?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Yeah. What I really admire is the guys who can call a real basic move or submission and then make it happen despite all efforts to defend because they have gotten it down so solid.

Awesome idea. How far along in your training were you when you started asking for the assignments?

4th stripe white I think. I don't see why it wouldn't work at any point after the "I'm in a free roll and I'm exhausted because I'm so tense aaaaaa!" phase. It works really well when you feel as if you're stagnating. Some of the other assignments I've carried out include "positional rolls only (but don't tell your partner)", "don't get kimuraed," and "hunt the white belts".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I really like the idea of assignments. Can you expand on this concept? Like, are there other things that go along with assignments? Are assignments completed, or does another one just supersede the previous? Will one build on another?

I'm wondering what happens when you have several people in a gym with different assignments. Its a very interesting idea, I feel you could do a lot with it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

I really like the idea of assignments. Can you expand on this concept? Like, are there other things that go along with assignments? Are assignments completed, or does another one just supersede the previous? Will one build on another?

I'm wondering what happens when you have several people in a gym with different assignments. Its a very interesting idea, I feel you could do a lot with it.

That's really all there is to it. I go up to my coach or the senior belt who I do lots of 1 on 1 training with and say "Hey, I feel like I'm stalling out in my progress - what do you think I should be working on? Can you give me an assignment or a goal?" And then I work on it until I feel like I have the hang of it, or I'm not getting anything out of it anymore, or until I forget, or until I need to switch to something else for a specific reason. Some of the assignments only work if your training partners don't know that you're on them (e.g. roll positionally only; no subs). Others basically require your partners to be in on it (e.g. start from x position).

For example, I think the turtle one ended when we had a tournament coming up. The white belts wanted to start their sparring with me from standing for a week or two (I cross train bjj and judo, so I field lots of takedown questions), and I forgot to go back to it after the tournament.

You can give them to yourself, too, if you can self-identify a weakness. I guess in addition to "hunt the white belts" (an assignment given because my mentor noted that my offense is weak compared to me defense, because I spend more time rolling with senior belts and thus my time goes to avoiding dying a lot), right now I'm also working on "get better at breaking and passing guard," which essentially involves letting my opponents take full closed guard if they want it, and working from there.

I remember ages ago fatherdog suggested a strategy like "write down every position you know, and write down every move you know from there, and then rank them according to how well you can do them." Something like that is a good way to identify a position where you need work. Like, you know that one position where you have succeeded in submitting more upper belts than any other position, right? (For me, it's top turtle esp. front headlock). But can you think of the one position where more lower belts make you look like an idiot than any other? (For me it's top closed guard, followed by flattened bottom half guard).

It's really just a focal point for training, and it's a basic aspect of any kind of teaching or learning. Tangible goals make for better development than directionless "go do more of it".

e. I should add that I invented this concept myself, drawing on my experience as a college teacher. I'm sure other gyms do similar things, though. I'd be super into any contributions or developments that anyone else can add to it, such as some kind of tangible completion.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 7, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One of my teammates Tony Bourdain killed himself. I knew Tony but only in passing. He took some of the classes that I taught when I had to cover for an instructor and he was a friend of friends. He left behind a little girl about the same age as my kids. I don't know why but I'm both sad and pissed.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Sorry Yuns. I have some friends that rolled with him when he dropped in at their schools and they spoke highly of him. The fact that he trained was actually a reason I was interested in starting, both hearing about his passion and seeing his ability to keep training to his 60s.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

I don't know why but I'm both sad and pissed.

Yep. That's about par for the course. Sorry to hear it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

One of my teammates Tony Bourdain killed himself. I knew Tony but only in passing. He took some of the classes that I taught when I had to cover for an instructor and he was a friend of friends. He left behind a little girl about the same age as my kids. I don't know why but I'm both sad and pissed.

I saw the news this morning. I quite admired him as a man and as an entertainer, and I always enjoyed knowing that we shared the jiu jitsu interests with all of the other ones. Sad and pissed is right.

I wrote a bunch of stuff but it amounts to :smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I saw the news yesterday, didn't know he killed himself until just now. gently caress.

:smith:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Bourdain was an inspiration to me to become a chef and so I was stoked when he started BJJ because I thought “wow something else we have in common”. It’s a sad day.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Anthony Bourdain was "The Most Interesting Man In The World" to me. His books and shows sparked my love of food and travel and I thought he had the coolest job ever. I was so stoked when he got into jiu jitsu. Really sad he's gone.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone in the Jiu Jitsu community and especially some of the older grapplers feel a special kinship with him.

What a loss :(

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got to meet with some of the production ppl for his Travel Channel show when I interviewed there and met him briefly.

That was, in essence, my dream job at tge time. This blows. Suicide is such poo poo.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mekchu posted:

I got to meet with some of the production ppl for his Travel Channel show when I interviewed there and met him briefly.

That was, in essence, my dream job at tge time. This blows. Suicide is such poo poo.
Did you meet Helen?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't recall a person I met there being a Helen but maybe. This was like 7 years ago or so and I have a bad memory for the most part.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

RIP Tony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxhzVJ_6tsc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of my judo students texted me last night that two dudes tried to mug him for his ipod and he threw one of them onto a full, closed can of beer and the guy obviously poo poo in his pants as a consequence.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

One of my judo students texted me last night that two dudes tried to mug him for his ipod and he threw one of them onto a full, closed can of beer and the guy obviously poo poo in his pants as a consequence.

:laffo: loving amazing.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Is there an effective way of dealing with turf toe or is it just suck it up and move on?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Turf toe sucks and takes forever to heal but I've had pretty good luck with this, it just uses a ton of tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woe5DZkXFY8

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is there an effective way of dealing with turf toe or is it just suck it up and move on?

I wear sambofski to every class and it protects me from turf toe.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I wear sambofski to every class and it protects me from turf toe.

Not sure if this is cool in my gym or not. Thanks for recommendation though.

butros posted:

Turf toe sucks and takes forever to heal but I've had pretty good luck with this, it just uses a ton of tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woe5DZkXFY8

Ill def try this. My turf toe is so bad its bulging out on the side of my right foot and is pretty sore :(

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

My turf toe is so bad its bulging out on the side of my right foot

I thought turf toe was just pain?

That sounds like something a doctor should look at.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is there anything similar to the Iron Neck https://www.iron-neck.com/ that doesn't cost 500 dollars?

*edit* Maybe this? https://www.amazon.com/DMoose-Fitne...=neck+exerciser

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 12, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Is there anything similar to the Iron Neck

This seems like you would hurt the crap out of your neck. There are probably neck stretches and PT stuff for strengthening the neck out there, that doesn't involve hanging a weight off your head.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I just do handless bridges

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Is there anything similar to the Iron Neck https://www.iron-neck.com/ that doesn't cost 500 dollars?

*edit* Maybe this? https://www.amazon.com/DMoose-Fitne...=neck+exerciser

why do you feel you need this?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

Joe Hogan said everyone who grapples really needs to get one to go with their reverse hyper.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

Studies are coming out that neck strengthening reduces concussion risk, among other things. And I'm probably not going to do it. If it's a good thing to do my son will do it though.

butros posted:

Joe Hogan said everyone who grapples really needs to get one to go with their reverse hyper.

The reverse hyper is a goddamned miracle machine.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 12, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spacetoaster posted:

Studies are coming out that neck strengthening reduces concussion risk, among other things. And I'm probably not going to do it. If it's a good thing to do my son will do it though.

I've been told wrestlers do handless bridges as the previous poster said. It's a great exercise that I should do more often.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

The reverse hyper is a goddamned miracle machine.

Having a pretty bad back for the past decade (I'm not even 30 yet) I've always wanted to try that machine and haven't had a chance to.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Digital Jedi posted:

Having a pretty bad back for the past decade (I'm not even 30 yet) I've always wanted to try that machine and haven't had a chance to.

I had a herniated disc, and a bulging disc. Had an MRI 8 months ago and all I've got now is 1 slightly bulging disc.

I started with split table traction and moved on to reverse hyper. Decompressing my spine after a workout is an integral part of my gym time now.

Odddzy posted:

I've been told wrestlers do handless bridges as the previous poster said. It's a great exercise that I should do more often.

I'm looking for something that can use very light weight on for reps on your own.

I've done workouts with gym buddies where they hold your head (providing the resistance) while you work the different muscles in your neck.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 12, 2018

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my lower back after a MRI years ago and ever since it's not be comfortable. I constantly feel I need to 'crack' my back but can never get to it. I'm seeing a new doctor in a month and hope to do something about it.

It was honestly one of my biggest worries when I first started training 2 years ago. I do believe it has gotten better at times. The biggest problem I have is how weak I feel in my back that I don't have the strength or agility to correct my positioning if I'm in anything from bottom.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 12, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Digital Jedi posted:

I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my lower back after a MRI years ago and ever since it's not be comfortable. I constantly feel I need to 'crack' my back but can never get to it. I'm seeing a new doctor in a month and hope to do something about it.

It was honestly one of my biggest worries when I first started training 2 years ago. I do believe it has gotten better at times. The biggest problem I have is how weak I feel in my back that I don't have the strength or agility to correct my positioning if I'm in anything from bottom.

That's the diagnosis I got too, but it's gotten better.

Having the big boy at the jiu-jitsu place diaphram choke me/sprawl on me pops my back and it feels loving great.

Just avoid compression of your spine like the plague (picking up heavy poo poo basically).

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If you want a stronger neck, start wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Odddzy posted:

Handless bridge? I can't imagine doing bridges with my hands, how would they even help?