Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

forkbucket posted:

I made a thing!
--snip--

This is super rad! The frame is super nice too.
Also, use whatever you want. As long as you start and finish a fun project and it meets YOUR specs, that's A+ in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Volguus posted:

Oi, sorry about even dreaming of a possible improvement to a project (regardless how cool and perfect it already is). Jesus people.
Why would you want to consume less electricity? So you can run on a battery. Why would you wanna do that? So you can place the box anywhere and not worry about having access to a plug.
You did no work and offered only unfriendly remarks. Are you now surprised you’re being called out for your behavior?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

You did no work and offered only unfriendly remarks. Are you now surprised you’re being called out for your behavior?

Well yes, I am surprised, because in no way I thought that my suggestions were in any way unfriendly, mean, bad, awful or ... whatever else you want to call them. Definitely not my intention, but i probably have a bad way of communicating that. So ... i'll see myself out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Volguus posted:

Well yes, I am surprised, because in no way I thought that my suggestions were in any way unfriendly, mean, bad, awful or ... whatever else you want to call them. Definitely not my intention, but i probably have a bad way of communicating that. So ... i'll see myself out.

When I read your post the first time, it didn't seem negative at all, just a different way to tweak that project idea.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Hey Pi thread,
I have a friend who has been asking about a personal weather station, so I want to buy him a what he needs for his birthday. The kits look much pricier than the parts alone, does anyone have any recommendations?
I saw the Sense hat which looks like it does temperature and humidity, but a lot of reviews said that the heat from the pi caused it to not work right, so I'm thinking I'll go with the not hat version.
This is what I was going to base my purchases off of. I'm an idiot who knows nothing about raspberry pi, so I was hoping I could get some advice, or at least some eyes to tell me if this stuff looks good.
Cheers.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Beast Pussy posted:

Hey Pi thread,
I have a friend who has been asking about a personal weather station, so I want to buy him a what he needs for his birthday. The kits look much pricier than the parts alone, does anyone have any recommendations?
I saw the Sense hat which looks like it does temperature and humidity, but a lot of reviews said that the heat from the pi caused it to not work right, so I'm thinking I'll go with the not hat version.
This is what I was going to base my purchases off of. I'm an idiot who knows nothing about raspberry pi, so I was hoping I could get some advice, or at least some eyes to tell me if this stuff looks good.
Cheers.

Some of the fun parts of the project are doing research on what to shop for and then actually shopping for the stuff. Maybe a gift card and a note mentioning it’s for the weather station would be better than buying the parts.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Decided to do my own BOINC tutorial. Hopefully not poo poo and quite clear for those who just want to jump in. I got annoyed at other tutorials that were a bit complex and I like writing so I gave it a go.

https://pentler.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/boinc-on-rpi-quick-guide-and-some-tips.html

Also you can run this on free cloud tiers...

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

thehustler posted:

Decided to do my own BOINC tutorial. Hopefully not poo poo and quite clear for those who just want to jump in. I got annoyed at other tutorials that were a bit complex and I like writing so I gave it a go.

https://pentler.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/boinc-on-rpi-quick-guide-and-some-tips.html

Also you can run this on free cloud tiers...

the blogger's Pi is unreasonably dirty

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Loky11 posted:

the blogger's Pi is unreasonably dirty

this has genuinely bothered me to the point where I've pocketed a decent cleaning wipe from my stock at work and I'm doing it tonight :|

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Does anyone have advice for outputting a raspberry pi to component or SCART/RGB?

I've found a couple things like:

http://www.retrotink.com/#Products

and all of this stuff

http://retrorgb.com/rpi240p.html

Does anyone else here do this or would there be a better place to ask? This is the only RPi thread I could find.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bleh Maestro posted:

Does anyone have advice for outputting a raspberry pi to component or SCART/RGB?

and all of this stuff

Does anyone else here do this or would there be a better place to ask? This is the only RPi thread I could find.

Do you care about special low-res modes for accurate emulation of old systems on an actual CRT, or are you just looking to hook one up to an older TV/projector/AV system that doesn't support HDMI?

The stuff you linked is aimed at those doing the former. If the latter, any generic HDMI to component/SCART converter should do the trick. Obviously be aware that you won't get 1080p that way but all standard TV resolutions up to 1080i should be doable.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

wolrah posted:

Do you care about special low-res modes for accurate emulation of old systems on an actual CRT, or are you just looking to hook one up to an older TV/projector/AV system that doesn't support HDMI?

The stuff you linked is aimed at those doing the former. If the latter, any generic HDMI to component/SCART converter should do the trick. Obviously be aware that you won't get 1080p that way but all standard TV resolutions up to 1080i should be doable.

Yeah, sorry should have clarified. I am going to hook up to a PVM and want it to ouput at 240p

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bleh Maestro posted:

Yeah, sorry should have clarified. I am going to hook up to a PVM and want it to ouput at 240p

I have a pi2scart from arcadeforge and it’s awesome. If you have any specific questions about it I can answer them.

I built a SCART to BNC breakout for it so I could use it on my extron crosspoint switch.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

and all of this stuff

If you can find one, the older Raspberry Pi had component out. HDMI didn't come along until more recently.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Even the newer ones have that, it's a 4 pole 3.5mm jack for audio and video.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

component ≠ composite

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Hey guys, just wanted to post more updates on my homemade dash for the Teslonda.

So we love the whole feel of the space ship vibe with all the switches and what not so we decided to go TWO displays; one being the primary dashboard and the other will be eye-candy / configuration / logging / GPS. Dash 1.0 had a 80s arcade style motif, so I wanted to keep a bit of that while adopting an overly complicated, "NES Space Sim meets knight rider" kind of look.

Complete with my dumb avatar's talking mouth telling the driver that his voltage sag reached critical levels or that the stator is about to melt from under the car.

Dash 2.0 demo
Quick test before we install it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpKafCbIVkM

(more here on the Jimmy.Built's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjxbvKeA3ZP/?taken-by=jimmy.built)

Parts role call:
Two raspberry pis, networked to each other. Optional (manual) wifi to communicate to the outside world.
Petroblock's Powerblock for both of them, operating off of a relay board, operated off of switch.
Two 10.1" touchscreen displays from Amazon (these things are pretty drat amazing so far).
A PiCAN2 CANBUS shield
lots of relays, wires, usb breakouts lol
and one big rear end Buck converter (12v-5v) with 4 separate 3amp usb outlets.

This is so much drat fun. GPS module coming soon. I just keep running out of free time to do this.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Raspberry Pi v3b running DietPi 6.9. Things run on it just fine (I have Plex, PiHole, Sonarr qBittorrent, VNC, Radarr + Jacket on it) but it seems to want nothing to do with my laptop (192.168.1.10). I can connect to VNC and all the webbased things on my phone but if I run VNC Viewer on my laptop it won't work. I also am unable to SSH in with it.

It feels like my Pi has banned my laptop somehow. Where?

I've tried
sudo iptables -L -n

but the Chain INPUT, Chain FORWARD and Chain OUTPUT are all blank.

I've got fail2ban setup, but fail2ban-client status says I have 2 jails that are both empty.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Professor of Cats posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to post more updates on my homemade dash for the Teslonda.
Holy hell you work on that insanity? It’s so great.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Thanks! So far we haven't died.... yet. :)

Sad Panda posted:

Raspberry Pi v3b running DietPi 6.9. Things run on it just fine (I have Plex, PiHole, Sonarr qBittorrent, VNC, Radarr + Jacket on it) but it seems to want nothing to do with my laptop (192.168.1.10). I can connect to VNC and all the webbased things on my phone but if I run VNC Viewer on my laptop it won't work. I also am unable to SSH in with it.

It feels like my Pi has banned my laptop somehow. Where?

I've tried
sudo iptables -L -n

but the Chain INPUT, Chain FORWARD and Chain OUTPUT are all blank.

I've got fail2ban setup, but fail2ban-client status says I have 2 jails that are both empty.

Can you ping the pi from your PC on your local network? Vise versa?
E: accidentally a word

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 11, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

evil_bunnY posted:

I agree with this person.

It's the exact right type of insanity.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Thanks! So far we haven't died.... yet. :)

Can you ping the pi from your PC on your local network? Vise versa?
E: accidentally a word

I couldn't ping it no. Now that I changed my fixed IP from .10 to .154 I can access again so I'm assuming there's an IP ban on my Pi against .10 but no idea what triggered or, or where it is.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

I couldn't ping it no. Now that I changed my fixed IP from .10 to .154 I can access again so I'm assuming there's an IP ban on my Pi against .10 but no idea what triggered or, or where it is.

Maybe something else on the network had the same ip?
Disclaimer: Definitely not a networking expert

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Maybe something else on the network had the same ip?
Disclaimer: Definitely not a networking expert

I'd be very surprised. It was the fixed IP my router has been giving me for a while.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Very strange. Glad you got this resolved already.

How's the Pi handling your Plex transcoding? I would love to have a Pi serve media from a NAS, but I'm afraid it would catch fire. ...Though to be fair, I did experiment with Moonlight (Steam streaming) and it was able to push 1080p with no noticeable issues.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

DizzyBum posted:

Very strange. Glad you got this resolved already.

How's the Pi handling your Plex transcoding? I would love to have a Pi serve media from a NAS, but I'm afraid it would catch fire. ...Though to be fair, I did experiment with Moonlight (Steam streaming) and it was able to push 1080p with no noticeable issues.

I mean it's resolved in that 192.168.1.154 works fine. I'm pretty sure if I went back to .1.10 then it'd not respond again.

I set it so it just streams (and watch it using my Chromecast) rather than attempts to do anything to do the media. I'd say 90% of what I have is 720p, but I think the 1080p I've tried worked fine once I got my internet sorted. The WiFi reception where my Chromecast is located wasn't great so I fixed that and it streams without issue.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

...stuff...

This is so much drat fun. GPS module coming soon. I just keep running out of free time to do this.

gently caress this is cool

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Loky11 posted:

gently caress this is cool

Thanks! :respek: I am like a kid again and I can actually make my video game dash haha. If I had more time, it would be extremely over the top, busy robot interface style.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is this still the best way to auto reboot a hung Pi? http://blog.ricardoarturocabral.com/2013/01/auto-reboot-hung-raspberry-pi-using-on.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless you have remote control to its power source, yeah, watchdogs are great.

In other news: anyone know of a rpi or some other SBC that does usb 3? I'm eyeing the rock64, but only because it's the only thing I've found that fits into the same niche as the pi. I'd prefer to stick with linux.

I've been trying to get a ravpower filehub to function as an in-the-field SD card backup for my dslr. It technically works, but each raw file is about 25MB in size and with usb 2.0 the best it can sustain is about 5MB/s.. so transfers take loving forever. It is a cool little piece of kit.. runs linux, easy to hack, has dlna, functions as a travel router, but it's using ancient tech.

Since I've already done a bunch of scripting to automate the file transfers on it, I figured a handy way to upgrade would be to find a card computer with usb3 so I can just port my scripts over and be done with the project.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

xzzy posted:

In other news: anyone know of a rpi or some other SBC that does usb 3?
You could always search for "USB 3" on this page.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A more up-to-date version appears to be here: https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Setting_up_the_raspberry_pi_watchdog

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've got a Pi 3 I had set up for Retropi, but it hasn't been used in a while and I'm thinking of turning it into a Pi-hole.

Do I need to wipe out everything currently installed on the Pi to do this? I'm a novice at best so I don't have a solid understanding of how everything works.

Or would I be better off buying the cheapest Pi and using that instead of using the more powerful Pi 3?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

me your dad posted:

Do I need to wipe out everything currently installed on the Pi to do this? I'm a novice at best so I don't have a solid understanding of how everything works.
Not sure about Pi-hole, but most Pi software tends to be packaged in either an appliance format consisting of an all-in-one image you flash to your SD card or as .deb packages for Raspbian. Sometimes both.

If it's the former, you're nuking everything on that card and replacing it with the new software. You can of course just get multiple SD cards and treat them like cartridges in a game console, switching depending on what role you want the device to play. If it's the latter it should install in to any existing Raspbian or Raspbian-derived system. If it's both, pick your poison.

quote:

Or would I be better off buying the cheapest Pi and using that instead of using the more powerful Pi 3?
Pi-hole works primarily by acting as your network's DNS server as far as I'm aware, which is a relatively critical role. I personally would never put a critical service on WiFi, and once you've added ethernet to a Pi Zero you're a lot of the way to the price of a 3. I'd just use the 3 if you're not using it currently, and get another 3 if you want to make it a dedicated piece of hardware. If you want to save money maybe see if you can find a used 2 for sale, they have most of the CPU performance just without WiFi that you won't be using in this role.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

me your dad posted:

I've got a Pi 3 I had set up for Retropi, but it hasn't been used in a while and I'm thinking of turning it into a Pi-hole.

Previous-gen Pis never really go on firesale. The 2b, which is two models old at this point, is only $4 cheaper than the 3b+ at Microcenter.

If your 3b is just going to sit around otherwise, use that. The only significantly cheaper current model is the Zero-W, but you’d have to dongle out for ethernet.

As for setting up Pi-hole, just download an image of Raspbian Lite, write that over your card and find a guide for headless setup. That basically involves copying and pasting your WiFi info into a “wpa_supplicant” file and creating a blank file called “ssh” on the card.

After that, you should be able to SSH in, paste the Pi-hole script and follow it’s prompts.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

wolrah posted:

Not sure about Pi-hole, but most Pi software tends to be packaged in either an appliance format consisting of an all-in-one image you flash to your SD card or as .deb packages for Raspbian. Sometimes both.

Yeah, I'm currently running a Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi that's both my speed-test-recorder and a Tiny Tiny RSS server. At the time I set it up as a Pi-Hole, there was an issue that forced me to roll back my version to get it to work, but I think they've fixed that since then.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I'll go ahead and use the Pi I have. The emulators just can't compete for game time with the PS4 in the house but it was fun for a bit :)

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Hey guys, just wanted to post more updates on my homemade dash for the Teslonda

That looks b-b-badASSS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is the 802.11ac any faster than the "gigabit" ethernet on the 3 B+, or are they both limited by USB 2.0 speeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
USB 2.0 is really slow